View Full Version : FBI finally going to record interviews

BBatesokc
06-01-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm guessing many here didn't know this, but the FBI (along with some other federal agencies), with all its fancy toys and and such actually has had a long running policy of NOT recording interviews/interrogations of suspects and/or witnesses.

Even though virtually every other state and city law enforcement agency does (like OCPD), the FBI has long refused to.

To me this is one reason the FBI is not to be trusted (or at least should be viewed cautiously) - there is only one reason not to record interviews - you plan on lying or misrepresenting what was actually said during those interviews.

I'm certain this policy has aided in the unfair prosecution of some, but it has also bitten the FBI in the rear too. I've watched more than one federal case where the defense attorney tore into the FBI agent for not having proof a suspect 'confessed' or otherwise implicated themselves.

July 11 this policy reverses and in many cases federal law enforcement will now video and audio record these interviews.

This is a big step in assuring transparency and maintaining the public's trust.

Just thought I'd share - but it may only be interesting to me.

https://news.yahoo.com/fbi-allow-recording-interrogations-first-time-history-165959346.html

Mel
06-01-2014, 02:17 PM
It's noteworthy. A friend of a friend can get involved in something the FBI is interested in and they will interview everyone they can get their hands on.

BBatesokc
06-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Along these same lines, I find it amusing and disturbing that OCPD will spend millions on new facilities and military style equipment, but refuses to outfit their cars with dash cams. Yet, they'll put GPS on their cars so they can keep tabs on officers that don't fit their agenda.

OKCRT
06-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Along these same lines, I find it amusing and disturbing that OCPD will spend millions on new facilities and military style equipment, but refuses to outfit their cars with dash cams. Yet, they'll put GPS on their cars so they can keep tabs on officers that don't fit their agenda.

Dash cams should be standard equipment on all law enforcement vehicles and they should stay on at all times IMO.

BBatesokc
06-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Dash cams should be standard equipment on all law enforcement vehicles and they should stay on at all times IMO.

Agreed, and I wish cops would have to wear over the ear cams like some do in Europe.

positano
06-01-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm guessing many here didn't know this, but the FBI (along with some other federal agencies), with all its fancy toys and and such actually has had a long running policy of NOT recording interviews/interrogations of suspects and/or witnesses.

Even though virtually every other state and city law enforcement agency does (like OCPD), the FBI has long refused to.

To me this is one reason the FBI is not to be trusted (or at least should be viewed cautiously) - there is only one reason not to record interviews - you plan on lying or misrepresenting what was actually said during those interviews.

I recognize you used the qualifier "to me", but there are multiple reasons why the FBI employed the no-recording policy. Some of those reasons were valid, others not so much. For what it's worth, there was no prohibition per se, but recording did require the approval of the Special Agent in Charge. It wasn't unheard of, but definitely the exception to the rule. Probably also worth mentioning this has been a long running battle between the FBI, the courts, and many DOJ components. Interestingly enough, many agents are in favor of recording, depending on the circumstances.

bluedogok
06-01-2014, 08:23 PM
That's OK, if dash cams are used like they are by the Austin PD everything happens out of camera view or it mysteriously fails to record at times.

zookeeper
06-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Warr Acres, of all places, has every police stop recorded by cameras on their person, around the ears maybe? But, try getting them for use as proof of harassment, misconduct, etc. It's not worth the hassle to get over the brick wall that the City of Warr Acres throws up everywhere you turn. The Police Chief is one sketchy guy, it's like out of some bad TV movie. Complete with "judges" who couldn't care less about the law or constitutional rights....what a joke!

Dennis Heaton
06-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Off topic...But, this reminds me of a day back in 2007 when OKDHS/CWS came to my door and told me they would like to come into my home and interview me. I told them that they were more than welcome to come in and interview me. However, I needed them to wait a couple minutes so I could go get a neighbor, whom could sit in as a witness. They replied that I couldn't do that because the matter was "confidential." I responded back, "I have heard of and read about your tactics. No witness, no interview." They left.

RadicalModerate
06-01-2014, 09:24 PM
That's OK, if dash cams are used like they are by the Austin PD everything happens out of camera view or it mysteriously fails to record at times.

Perhaps we can henceforth refer to this as The Rose Mary Woods Effect?
The Watergate II Phenomenon?
Nixon White House tapes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_White_House_tapes)