View Full Version : DHS child welfare worker honored for heroic action

Dennis Heaton
05-30-2014, 04:38 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Child welfare workers have one of the toughest jobs imaginable and often face dangerous and volatile situations while serving families in crisis.

Nicole Stevenson is a child welfare caseworker for the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS) in Payne County. She was recently honored for her heroic efforts to keep children safe during a physical altercation between relatives.

Stevenson was interviewing a child on her caseload in the child’s home when the child's relatives began arguing in another room. The disagreement quickly escalated and Stevenson carried two young children to a back bedroom and locked the door behind her.

“I was concerned for the safety of the children and for myself,” said Stevenson. “I was aware that there were weapons in the home so I called police. I knew I had to remain calm because I did not want the children to become upset.”

Originally from Baltimore, Stevenson became a child welfare worker in 2012 after graduating from Oklahoma State University (OSU).

“I would have to say that child welfare chose me,” said Stevenson. “I come from a family of foster parents and social workers. I took a human development course in college and loved it. I wanted to learn more about human nature and received a scholarship to attend graduate school at OSU. Following that, I wanted real world experience so I began my child welfare career with DHS.”

Stevenson was recognized with a Best of the Best award at the DHS Employee Recognition Awards in May and with a certificate of commendation from DHS Director Ed Lake and Child Welfare Director Deborah Smith.

DHS - DHS child welfare worker honored for heroic action (http://www.okdhs.org/library/news/rel/2014/05/comm05272014.htm)

KUDOS!!!!!