View Full Version : Pistols Firing!!!!

OKCretro
05-30-2014, 08:41 AM
My guess is he plays vs fsu.

OSU freshman running back Devon Thomas accused of armed robbery, shooting to kill - Tulsa World: Courts (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/osu-freshman-running-back-accused-of-armed-robbery-shooting-to/article_67221041-2b90-5541-960f-43bc604e96f4.html)

kevinpate
05-30-2014, 09:37 AM
I'd be inclined to guess otherwise if he was the one to put the shot through the window, hitting the headrest, after completing a robbery and the target was already driving away.

General rule of thumb ... robbing someone at gunpoint who knows you well =/= a great game plan.

onthestrip
05-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Gotta love when a story comes out about an athlete and rival fans immediately forget all past transgressions of their teams athletes.

Most importantly, this kid is a Broken Arrow student, hes not at OSU and if these allegations are true he will never be at OSU.

Richard at Remax
05-30-2014, 09:49 AM
He enrolled early at OSU this spring.

onthestrip
05-30-2014, 09:55 AM
He enrolled early at OSU this spring.

In that case, sayonara. I dont think Gundy will even have to make a decision, the judge will probably do that for him.

kevinpate
05-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Gotta love when a story comes out about an athlete and rival fans immediately forget all past transgressions of their teams athletes.

Most importantly, this kid is a Broken Arrow student, hes not at OSU and if these allegations are true he will never be at OSU.

FWIW, if he was early enrolled at OU, TU or one of the regional unis in the state instead of having early enrollment at OSU, my post would be equally applicable.

SoonerDave
05-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Okay, fair warning, I'm going to go on a bit of a rant.

It's all over the media today that incoming OSU freshman football player Devon Thomas was arrested yesterday on charges of shooting with intent to kill. And, based on what I'm hearing and reading from some places, there are folks who aren't terribly surprised that this kid got arrested for, well, something. Perhaps the one who put it best was Pat Jones on WWLS this morning, who commented only "this kid had serious baggage while he was at Broken Arrow....He had idiot written all over him....."

Now, before anyone suspects, this is NOT, repeat NOT, a rant against OSU. They're almost incidental to this - almost, except to the extent they're a state school. I'm sure it could just as easily have been OU or (insert favorite large-scale football school here).

What gets me is not that the kid got in trouble, although this particular level of trouble isn't exactly falling out of the back of a pickup. What gets me is the emerging fact that this kid had, apparently, glaring issues with his character. That he, allegedly, had all manner of "red flags" that most everyone who recruited him knew about, yet still got all that interest, is what gets me to ranting.

And it's a little personal.

I look at someone like my own kid. He did nothing more than bust his butt for four years in high school, fighting as hard as he could to earn a starting spot at a fairly well-known 6A school - which he finally did - in his senior year. All he did was do what his coaches told him - for four years, four summers, four falls.

He's an active, faithful member of our church in general and their youth group in particular. He graduated with honors and 4.0+ GPA. He's never even come near ANY kind of trouble - quite the opposite.

And he never sniffed even the remotest hope of a scholarship from either of our state schools.

Did he possess the same, raw, physical football talent of this arrested kid? No. And that's obviously all that matters. And that's kinda disgusting.

I have to admit that I'm part of the problem. I want "my team" to win. And kids that make "my team" win are, often, a bit, shall we say, unsavory. And I also admit that I don't want to know about "those guys" on "my team."

But that doesn't prevent me, as a father, from looking at this situation in admitted isolation, seeing this alleged criminal for whom his alleged criminal behavior apparently comes as no surprise, getting offers (apparently) from all over the place, and getting a full ride scholly from a school that exists, at least in part, by virtue of my state tax dollars, while my kid begs and pleads for a partial tuition waiver here, a book stipend there. (And to avoid any argument, I'm fully aware tax dollars don't go to fund athletic scholarships).

And I know my kid isn't the only such example of great, great character student-athletes at the high school level who similarly didn't get any kind of scholarship attention from state schools.

I know, I know, ranting won't change anything. Ugly realities, that's life, and all that. But for each and every punk that gets a scholarship and summarily throws it in the sewer because his own criminal predispositions take precedence in his personal life, there are a bunch of kids who would represent their school proudly and thankfully but for the similar opportunity, and never provide a moment's embarrassment for themselves, their school, or their family, in so doing.

Didn't quite say everything I intended quite the way I wanted to say it, but I think I made the point. I'm proud of my son, and what he accomplished, and what he's going to do as he continues his education. It just enrages me to think this Thomas kid gets a full ride when allegedly everyone knew what he was about, and someone like my son (and those like him) don't get diddly squat.

It. Just. Ain't. Right.

Rant off.

adaniel
05-30-2014, 10:06 AM
LOL @ "Pistols Firing"...you are so wrong with that thread title. :D

SoonerDave
05-30-2014, 10:15 AM
A punk like this throws away a free college education. How many kids in OK who played HS football would have given their eye tooth for the chance this guy just threw in the sewer??

Makes me sick.

And if you make this an OSU specific issue, you're living in goofyland. There's not a major college football institution not replete with varying degrees of *precisely* the same kind of "characters."

Makes me even sicker.

onthestrip
05-30-2014, 10:16 AM
FWIW, if he was early enrolled at OU, TU or one of the regional unis in the state instead of having early enrollment at OSU, my post would be equally applicable.

I was referring to the original poster and just wanted to point out to OKCRetro that no school has a monopoly on criminal athletes.

Wheres_my_shirt
05-30-2014, 10:33 AM
I understand your frustration completely and know that it's a really unfortunate way the world works.

That being said, rarely are things awarded to someone for just trying. An entity like college football is ran on results so if a kid is going to produce more on the field then he's going to be rewarded for that. Now, if you have 2 people that are similarly qualified in any area but one is more of a risk, I'm sure it would swing the way of the straight and narrow. If they were in the business of sportsmanship or collecting good guys, it would most certainly be different.

This can be applied to pretty much any situation but we can look at it for football because that's what the topic is over. To excel at any athletics, you need a certain skill set. If your skill set is high enough, you don't have to worry as much about being nice, charitable or even that smart. So a lot of times people who are in athletics don't exhibit those traits. Not saying it means athletes are exclusively dumb, mean people at all, there's just a higher chance due to what's needed for success. Just like for a doctor to succeed they need to be smart, articulate people, doesn't mean that they can't be in great shape and athletic.

So what about this kid that was just arrested. I'm sure he wasn't a model citizen but does that mean he's excluded from opportunities? What if his father is working two jobs to support the family and his mother a crack addict. He mixes in with the wrong crowd and makes bad decisions. Does he not deserve a chance to make his life better? To be surrounded by people that will support him and give him the resources he needs to succeed and become a successful member of society? Even if he has totally normal surroundings but is just a trouble maker, doesn't he, as a kid, deserve the chance to make his life better?

If playing football is a high priority for your child, why not walk on. You can earn a scholarship that way. It might not be the full ride from the beginning, but if he really is as valuable to the team to winning (which is what they are looking to do) then he'll get rewarded.

I wouldn't focus so much on another person getting an opportunity and then wasting it. I would be happy that in the long term your son will be a more successful, well adjusted man. I would tell him how sad you are that a young man potentially ruined his chance at a successful life by making a stupid mistake. Then tell him how proud you are that he has made the right decisions in life and that if he keeps it up, those decisions will pay off. I'm sure you already do say all that stuff though.

dankrutka
05-30-2014, 11:05 AM
It should be obvious to everyone, but I'll point it out anyway. There are a lot of kids who come from a variety of backgrounds who take full advantage of the opportunity an athletic scholarship provides. It's easy to forget how many student-athletes are working their tails off to balance the rigors of being a D1 student and athlete simply because, overwhelmingly, doing the right thing is not what makes the news. The same thing applies to my field - education. You often hear about the teachers who make mistakes on the news, but seldom the ones who are changing students' lives everyday. As Wheres_my_shirt pointed out, in the end, those who do the right things are usually rewarded with a better quality of life.

I hope Devon Thomas, who is still a pretty young kid, turns his life around.

BoulderSooner
05-30-2014, 11:06 AM

It's all over the media today that incoming OSU freshman football player Devon Thomas was arrested yesterday on charges of shooting with intent to kill. And, based on what I'm hearing and reading from some places, there are folks who aren't terribly surprised that this kid got arrested for, well, something. Perhaps the one who put it best was Pat Jones on WWLS this morning, who commented only "this kid had serious baggage while he was at Broken Arrow....He had idiot written all over him....."

Now, before anyone suspects, this is NOT, repeat NOT, a rant against OSU. They're almost incidental to this - almost, except to the extent they're a state school. I'm sure it could just as easily have been OU or (insert favorite large-scale football school here).

What gets me is not that the kid got in trouble, although this particular level of trouble isn't exactly falling out of the back of a pickup. What gets me is the emerging fact that this kid had, apparently, glaring issues with his character. That he, allegedly, had all manner of "red flags" that most everyone who recruited him knew about, yet still got all that interest, is what gets me to ranting.

I look at someone like my own kid. He did nothing more than bust his butt for four years in high school, fighting as hard as he could to earn a starting spot at a fairly well-known 6A school - which he finally did - in his senior year. All he did was do what his coaches told him - for four years, four summers, four falls.

He's an active, faithful member of our church in general and their youth group in particular. He graduated with honors and 4.0+ GPA. He's never even come near ANY kind of trouble - quite the opposite.

And he never sniffed even the remotest hope of a scholarship from either of our state schools.

Did he possess the same, raw, physical football talent of this arrested kid? No. And that's obviously all that matters. And that's kinda disgusting.

I have to admit that I'm part of the problem. I want "my team" to win. And kids that make "my team" win are, often, a bit, shall we say, unsavory. And I also admit that I don't want to know about "those guys" on "my team."

But that doesn't prevent me, as a father, from looking at this situation in admitted isolation, seeing this alleged criminal for whom his alleged criminal behavior apparently comes as no surprise, getting offers (apparently) from all over the place, and getting a full ride scholly from a school that exists, at least in part, by virtue of my state tax dollars, while my kid begs and pleads for a partial tuition waiver here, a book stipend there. (And to avoid any argument, I'm fully aware tax dollars don't go to fund athletic scholarships).

And I know my kid isn't the only such example of great, great character student-athletes at the high school level who similarly didn't get any kind of scholarship attention from state schools.

I know, I know, ranting won't change anything. Ugly realities, that's life, and all that. But for each and every punk that gets a scholarship and summarily throws it in the sewer because his own criminal predispositions take precedence in his personal life, there are a bunch of kids who would represent their school proudly and thankfully but for the similar opportunity, and never provide a moment's embarrassment for themselves, their school, or their family, in so doing.

Didn't quite say everything I intended quite the way I wanted to say it, but I think I made the point. I'm proud of my son, and what he accomplished, and what he's going to do as he continues his education. It just enrages me to think this Thomas kid gets a full ride when allegedly everyone knew what he was about, and someone like my son (and those like him) don't get diddly squat.

It. Just. Ain't. Right.

Rant off.

Just a note. OU was recruiting this kid and he actually committed to OU around nov 2012. OU pulled his scholarship offer and stopped recruiting him because of his baggage. Osu decided that they didn't care

OKCisOK4me
05-30-2014, 11:37 AM
That's alright. We've got a pretty talented JC runningback coming in this year...probably already on campus. Obviously this Devon character had no issue fumbling that path away. I wish him luck with the future he has placed in front of him.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

ylouder
05-30-2014, 11:59 AM
As an OSU grad what a waste of talent and if the charges hold; this is the end of his life.

If he becomes a felon we know how the cycle will turn out. He’ll be in and out of jail and another cycle of unescapable poverty. In a few years he’ll truly realize that he was holding the golden keys to escape and threw it all away. Could’ve seen the world, countless women, and made millions of dollars using the talents god gave him.

To your kids situation that’s just how life is, it isn’t fair and it doesn’t reward good hearted people just for being good hearted. Life sometimes rewards jackasses because they are just really good at XYZ; and sometimes those jackasses throw it all away. While it’s disappointing that your son worked so hard to play football and didn’t score a scholarship it just wasn’t in his cards but I’m sure he’ll end up in a better situation down the road and this all will be a fading memory

PennyQuilts
05-30-2014, 01:01 PM

It. Just. Ain't. Right.

Rant off.
Well, for what it's worth, plenty of good kids struggle through with all kinds of burdens without being noticed. And for all that, life is a marathon rather than a sprint. My money is on your kid, and kids like him, to win the race. College football will be in his rear view mirror and ancient history before he knows it.

OKCretro
06-02-2014, 03:11 PM
5 days and no comment from Gundy. He is still listed on the team roster. Thinking he plays just like Collins did

ou48A
06-05-2014, 02:23 PM
5 days and no comment from Gundy. He is still listed on the team roster. Thinking he plays just like Collins did
Sad, but at some point the good people at OSU will grow tired of all the negativity and hold Gundy accountable for this and everything else.

kevinpate
06-05-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm a Weapon !!

I'm .44 !!

- da debble mud me dews dat

jerrywall
06-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Just like we'll suddenly see some amazing revelations on the SI report.

As for a response... I'm not sure what response you'd expect to see yet. He was just charged yesterday. I'm sure OSU will be careful in their response (and honestly, if they had announced already that they pulled his scholarship, etc, without a conviction, I think that would be seen as too kneejerk). No matter what happens, Devon will never play a down there.

SOONER8693
06-06-2014, 07:06 PM

It. Just. Ain't. Right.

Rant off.
Amen.