View Full Version : Judge sentences Okla County Clerk Carolynn Caudill

Achilleslastand
05-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Judge sentences Oklahoma Co. clerk » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x997999629/Judge-sentences-Oklahoma-Co-clerk)

EDMOND — A municipal judge has sentenced Oklahoma County Clerk Carolynn Caudill, an elected official, to probation. In September 2013, Oklahoma City Police Officer Mohammed Tabiai responded to a call regarding an intoxicated driver who was being followed, according to the incident report filed by Tabiai. The driver struck a parked vehicle on Northwest 79th Street between McKinley and Military and continued driving, the officer stated. A Nichols Hills officer, who located the driver parked at a residence in the 7000 block of North McKinley Avenue in Oklahoma City, said he believed she was under the influence of alcohol. Tabiai stated he saw heavy damage on the passenger side front corner of the vehicle, a 2008 Mercedes. Tabiai stated he detected a strong odor of alcohol as he spoke with the driver, later identified as Carolyn Jean Caudill, 67, who had bloodshot and watery eyes. After he had her get out of the car she had difficulty standing, the officer stated. Tabiai stated he was given the name Carolynn Caudill, but in court records her name is Carolin Caudill.

Oklahoma City Municipal Courts Director Stacey Davis said on Wednesday, Caudill went on a six-month continued sentence while on probation. Davis said her sentence included a $1,200 fine and other costs including a $240 probation fee and $500 for administration costs. Her probation officer also could assess costs. On Nov. 26, if Caudill has successfully completed the terms of her sentence, the DUI charge will be dismissed, Davis said. The judge, Caudill and the prosecutor agreed to negotiated terms, Davis said. Caudill also had another case for striking the vehicle, and she must pay $587 in that matter, Davis said. During the drive to the county jail, Caudill said she was sorry and could not believe she found herself in this situation, Tabiai stated in his report. At the time, District Three County Commissioner Ray Vaughn, of Edmond, called Caudill a “very qualified, competent clerk.” Caudill released a three-page statement in which she accepted responsibility for her actions and promised to not make the same error again. The Oklahoma County clerk’s annual salary is $105,262.56, according to Clerks of the Board Director Kathy Neal, who requested a formal open records request in order to release the information.

kevinpate
05-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Although six months probation is a short compared to many, many first time dui negotiated agreements, the fine is significantly higher than many I have seen imposed on folk. May not be a reasonable comparison though. Most cases I am aware of the specifics did not include six figure annual salary defendants, but fairly low income young folks. All are state court misdemeanors, not muni court, matters as well.

Jeepnokc
05-30-2014, 06:53 AM
Although six months probation is a short compared to many, many first time dui negotiated agreements, the fine is significantly higher than many I have seen imposed on folk. May not be a reasonable comparison though. Most cases I am aware of the specifics did not include six figure annual salary defendants, but fairly low income young folks. All are state court misdemeanors, not muni court, matters as well.

The difference in this case is that it is OKC municipal court. This is a fairly standard DUI deal for OKC Muni. Usually, a first time will receive a 6 month supervised probation with a fine in the 700-900 range, a 240 probation fee, a 175 assessment fee and ct costs and a 100 admin fee at the end of probation with the charge being dismissed. The fine is a little high but she had unsupervised probation in the same court on a different non `DUI charge not too long ago so it isn't uncommon to get the max fine $1200 in order to still get the dismissal at the end of the supervised probation. It appears she got standard treatment that any other defendant with good counsel would have received.

MustangGT
05-30-2014, 08:34 AM
It appears she got standard treatment that any other defendant with good counsel would have received.

Based upon what a neighbor got for the same DUI charge I agree. His fine was a bit lower.

kevinpate
05-30-2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks Jeep. I rarely come into my own local muni court; trips into OKC muni are far fewer for me. I can't feign surprise that a muni court typically operates with higher fines.

Dennis Heaton
05-30-2014, 07:05 PM
I would have added one more item to this sentence...Read "The Big Book" in 30 days.