View Full Version : OKC 3rd to last in fitness rating

Pete
05-29-2014, 07:56 AM
A lot of these lists come out but this one is highly regarded with credible sources and hard data.

This is one area where Oklahoma City and the entire state continues to lag, and it's a significant quality of life issue.

The last graphic is for Denver, which is in the same general area of the country and similar in terrain. Yes, Denver has the mountains nearby but as we've discussed before it's probably the best model for OKC in lots of attainable ways.

In my opinion, MAPS 4 should be all about public transportation, sidewalks and recreation. Time to get serious about improving the health of the community.

http://americanfitnessindex.org/

Executive Summary
With support and funding from the WellPoint Foundation in 2007, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) launched the ACSM American Fitness IndexTM (AFI) program in 2008 to help communities identify opportunities to improve the health of their residents and expand community assets to better support active, healthy lifestyles. The AFI reflects a composite of personal health measures, preventive health behaviors, levels of chronic disease conditions, as well as environmental and community resources and policies that support physical activity. In addition, demographic and economic diversity are included for each metropolitan area to illustrate the unique attributes of each city. Communities with the highest AFI scores are considered to have strong community fitness, a concept analogous to individuals having strong personal fitness.

The 50 largest metropolitan areas in the United States, as defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget using data from the U.S. Census Annual Estimates of Population, were included in this 2014 data report for the AFI program. Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) were chosen as the unit of measurement because they represent the group of counties comprising the larger urban areas where residents live, work and access community resources.

The AFI program is unique for several reasons:
• Cities are defined by MSAs;
• Personal health indicators, as well as community and environmental indicators, are included
in the data report;
• Data come from reputable sources, and scientific methodologies are used to ensure validity and reliability;
• Unique areas of strength and opportunities for improvement are included for each MSA to help
guide community action;
• Materials, resources and connections to health promotion partners are provided by the AFI program to
help cities improve their indicators; and
• Local, state and national health promotion partners form a network to support collaborative program efforts.

The first step in creating the report for the AFI program involved developing a strategy to identify, gather, analyze and present MSA-level data on the population, health and built environment of the communities. Measures were identified, assessed and scored by a national expert panel for inclusion into an index to compare each MSA’s attributes with the overall U.S. values and with the other large metropolitan areas. Based on the comparisons to benchmarks, suggested areas of excellence and improvement priority areas for each MSA were noted.

There was considerable diversity in community fitness levels among the 50 MSAs. Cities that ranked near the top of the index have more strengths that support healthy living and fewer challenges that hinder it. The opposite is true for cities near the bottom of the index. All cities are commended for their areas of excellence and encouraged to focus future efforts on their improvement priority areas to achieve a healthy and active population.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/fit1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/fit2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/fit3.jpg

DENVER (for comparison):

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/fit4.jpg

BBatesokc
05-29-2014, 08:02 AM
Its a shame - this is mostly a result of personal choice. I've personally found it doesn't have to cost any more to eat healthy and getting exercise can be as easy as putting on your sneakers and running through your community. Of course, that would also entail not drinking Super Big Gulps, going to fast food to eat off the dollar menu, stop patronizing restaurants that super size everything and turning off the TV or computer and actually moving around --- forget it, we are doomed!

bchris02
05-29-2014, 08:02 AM
Sidewalks should be made mandatory on all new or reconstructed roads, no exceptions. Most other cities do it, why not OKC?

This city would also hugely benefit from having more neighborhood parks. Beyond that, education is the ultimate solution. More educated communities generally have lower rates of smoking and fast food consumption.

Pete
05-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Its a shame - this is mostly a result of personal choice. I've personally found it doesn't have to cost any more to eat healthy and getting exercise can be as easy as putting on your sneakers and running through your community. Of course, that would also entail not drinking Super Big Gulps, going to fast food to eat off the dollar menu, stop patronizing restaurants that super size everything and turning off the TV or computer and actually moving around --- forget it, we are doomed!

It's all about local culture and that starts with infrastructure.

In cities where there has been large investment in recreation and public transport, people make better personal choices.

OKCisOK4me
05-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Baby steps...

Meaning that the Mayor has to literally command his troops to lose weight and stay healthy. The majority or Oklahomans aren't going to do it on their own.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Just the facts
05-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Sidewalks should be made mandatory on all new or reconstructed roads, no exceptions. Most other cities do it, why not OKC?

This city would also hugely benefit from having more neighborhood parks. Beyond that, education is the ultimate solution. More educated communities generally have lower rates of smoking and fast food consumption.

In sprawl who would use those sidewalks? No one is going to walk 2 miles round trip to a grocery store next to traffic doing 50 mph no matter how nice the sidewalk is. It seems far too many people want all the benefits, decision making, healthy living, and cost-saving of urbanism - without building urban neighborhoods. It doesn't work that way. You build sprawl and the car becomes mandatory and walking... well... takes a walk.

bchris02
05-29-2014, 08:21 AM
In sprawl who would use those sidewalks? No one is going to walk 2 miles round trip to a grocery store no matter how nice the sidewalk is.

Ever been to Phoenix? It's just as auto-centric as OKC is, yet sidewalks are mandatory there and it really pays off. The city is laid out in a mile-grid pattern like OKC and its quite common for people to walk from their homes up to their corner shopping center on a nice day. The development is not Walkable(TM) per say, but people can and do walk. Upon moving to OKC, it was quite a culture shock to discover that most areas of the city - even older neighborhoods - don't have sidewalks. In most cities people take them for granted.

Pete
05-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Most the new housing divisions and streets have sidewalks. The problem is 90% of the what was built previously did not include them, so they have to be retro-fitted.

Also, we are not putting bike lanes in anywhere other than a very concentrated urban area. You literally can't ride your bike from most places in Oklahoma City unless you want to ride down the middle of an existing lane, which no one is going to do.

Just the facts
05-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Ever been to Phoenix? It's just as auto-centric as OKC is, yet sidewalks are mandatory there and it really pays off. The city is laid out in a mile-grid pattern like OKC and its quite common for people to walk from their homes up to their corner shopping center on a nice day. The development is not Walkable(TM) per say, but people can and do walk. Upon moving to OKC, it was quite a culture shock to discover that most areas of the city - even older neighborhoods - don't have sidewalks. In most cities people take them for granted.

I am going to call BS on your Phoenix comment. I have been many times and the only people walking are homeless or have car trouble.

Phoenix Walk Score (http://www.walkscore.com/AZ/Phoenix)

Bunty
05-29-2014, 08:30 AM

Right. Stillwater for the most part has sidewalks on at least one side of its major streets. I think Stillwater requires a sidewalk be built when a vacant lot is developed, if it can be connected to an existing sidewalk already next to it. North Perkins Rd. won't have any gaps in the sidewalks, once all the vacant lots get developed. Of course, someone is anxious to point out that Stillwater is car dependent with a walk score of 33.

BBatesokc
05-29-2014, 08:30 AM
It's all about local culture and that starts with infrastructure.

In cities where there has been large investment in recreation and public transport, people make better personal choices.

True, but we have plenty of 'infrastructure' for individuals and families to live healthy/healthier lives IF they make the personal choice to do so. Waiting for more/better infrastructure is a copout IMO. Utilize what we've got now and support the addition of more.

Do I want to see more improvement? Most definitely, and I will utilize much of it (can't wait for the rafting and the jogging/biking trails to be finished).

That said, we make a conscience choice to eat healthy (that infrastructure is here already - but always room for improvement). We make the choice to utilize our YMCA membership, and we purchase things like Zoo memberships and Adventure Zone passes so we always have fun healthy and active choice/activities to indulge in.

Our neighborhood has zero sidewalks, but most every morning when I run I see at least 4-8 other people doing the exact same thing (and that's at 6am). The dog walkers are all day non-spot around here.

Our previous neighborhood was all sidewalks on both sides of the street. We'd never see anyone else out walking when we went running or dog walking.

I really would love to see the river area developed more and to become really full of active life like in Austin. When we go there, we literally have traffic jams of people walking, jogging and biking. And, you pass half a dozen active volley ball games and dog owners throwing frisbees.

Its definitely local culture and ours is pretty lazy.

Pete
05-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Since the lack of sidewalks, trails and bike lanes is so pervasive and overwhelming, it seems a short-term solution would be to create a network of collectors rather than try to solve this problem all at once.

If we could build a handful of long pedestrian and bike paths that radiate into all sectors of the city, that would be a good start. More or less start with main collectors that could later be fed by branching out.

Bunty
05-29-2014, 08:35 AM
Why walk and pour with sweat in 100+ degree heat when you got an air conditioned car?

bchris02
05-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Since the lack of sidewalks, trails and bike lanes is so pervasive and overwhelming, it seems a short-term solution would be to create a network of collectors rather than try to solve this problem all at once.

If we could build a handful of long pedestrian and bike paths that radiate into all sectors of the city, that would be a good start. More or less start with main collectors that could later be fed by branching out.

That's why I say whenever a new road is built or repaved, it should be mandatory that a sidewalk be built. NW 122nd between May and Portland was repaved in the last year for instance. It would have been so nice if they would have added sidewalks but they didn't. It's the same story all over the metro.

BBatesokc
05-29-2014, 08:39 AM

I have to say, I'm always shocked at the number of people who utilize the median sidewalks around SW 36 and S. Robinson Ave (no, not hookers). I always see kids on bikes, couples and families and everyday the HS track students are running back and forth. I really like how they are done - in the media with plenty of room separating you from the cars. The only thing I don't like is the cyclists seem to think they don't have to stop when they come to the intersections with actual roads - they just fly straight through.

bchris02
05-29-2014, 08:39 AM
Why walk and pour with sweat in 100+ degree heat when you got an air conditioned car?

First, Phoenix heat is a dry heat. Being out and about when temperatures are in the 90s is quite comfortable. Secondly, winters there are beautiful.

Pete
05-29-2014, 08:40 AM
True, but we have plenty of 'infrastructure' for individuals and families to live healthy/healthier lives IF they make the personal choice to do so. Waiting for more/better infrastructure is a copout IMO. Utilize what we've got now and support the addition of more.

Yes, but if you want to effect change across an entire community you can't just rely on individuals to get it into gear.

Some never will but if you create the infrastructure it changes the culture and there are plenty of people who will be positively affected by that.

It's a bit chicken and egg, but you have to start somewhere and this is not a new or unique problem. The communities that have invested in recreation have seen a direct correlation to improved public health.

There is a whole separate discussion about the smoking laws, but I know that will just completely derail this thread.

Bunty
05-29-2014, 08:43 AM
First, Phoenix heat is a dry heat. Being out and about when temperatures are in the 90s is quite comfortable. Secondly, winters there are beautiful.

Just as I figured you would say.

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 08:45 AM
In sprawl who would use those sidewalks? No one is going to walk 2 miles round trip to a grocery store next to traffic doing 50 mph no matter how nice the sidewalk is. It seems far too many people want all the benefits, decision making, healthy living, and cost-saving of urbanism - without building urban neighborhoods. It doesn't work that way. You build sprawl and the car becomes mandatory and walking... well... takes a walk.When there is sidewalks, I do. :p

Pete
05-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Even in sprawl areas where there isn't a lot to walk to in the immediate area, sidewalks are great for running and biking.

When I'm in OKC I stay with my good friend who lives out in Oak Tree and thus I drive through Edmond and Far North OKC quite a bit. And in those areas you see lots of people out running and biking on the sidewalks. There are miles of nice sidewalks along Kelly and I always see people on them; they are also a way to get to Mitch Park and more recreation.

AP
05-29-2014, 08:54 AM
When there is sidewalks, I do. :p

Regardless of what you do, the majority of people don't.

bchris02
05-29-2014, 08:58 AM
Regardless of what you do, the majority of people don't.

Even if some do though who otherwise wouldn't, it would improve the health ranking for the entire city.

Pete
05-29-2014, 09:00 AM
One thing that OKC could do almost immediately: Appoint a Health Czar.

Pay and empower a person and/or small group to drive health and recreation initiatives, coordinate all the various citizen groups and be a public spokesperson for more healthy choices.

Similar to what we did with the Economic Development Trust, just for health and recreation.

It's time to get serious about this issue if OKC wants to continue to progress. Doing a bunch of small, incremental things is not going to result in significant changes any time soon. Time to get some perspective on this issue and admit it's a serious problem (opportunity).

warreng88
05-29-2014, 09:15 AM
I think the biggest issue is changing people's mindset to be active and that is going to take some time. You are not going to just plop down miles of bike lanes and sidewalks and all of a sudden everyone is going to abandon their car and start walking everywhere. I would, but most people are not going to because that is not what they are used to. Also, the lack of mass transit and the reliability of it does not help because people are going to drive their car to Wal-Mart and park 20 feet from the door instead of begin able to take a bus which would require walking to the bus stop and then walking from the bus stop to Wal-Mart and back and reverse the cycle. Once the streetcar gets up and running, more sidewalks are built as part of MAPS3 and the 07 GO Bond, a RTA is established and the bus system is better, I think we will see OKC go higher on that list.

HangryHippo
05-29-2014, 09:33 AM
In sprawl who would use those sidewalks? No one is going to walk 2 miles round trip to a grocery store next to traffic doing 50 mph no matter how nice the sidewalk is. It seems far too many people want all the benefits, decision making, healthy living, and cost-saving of urbanism - without building urban neighborhoods. It doesn't work that way. You build sprawl and the car becomes mandatory and walking... well... takes a walk.

Exactly. This is a huge part of our problem. This and laziness.

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Regardless of what you do, the majority of people don't.not sure about the majority, but I can say with great confidence, that I'm not the only one who does and certainly not part of a small group either.

Just the facts
05-29-2014, 10:02 AM
If I might suggest - for those interested in the subject of sidewalks go buy from a bookstore or checkout from your local library - Walkable City: How Downtown can Save America One Step at a Time.

Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time by Jeff Speck | 9780865477728 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/walkable-city-jeff-speck/1111483349?ean=9780865477728)

For those with ADHD - here is a video.

Jeff Speck: The walkable city | Talk Video | TED.com (http://www.ted.com/talks/jeff_speck_the_walkable_city)

I found that my health improved once I incorporated exercise as part of my daily living. As I said in another thread long ago - if you drive to the gym you already lost.

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 10:07 AM
If I might suggest - for those interested in the subject of sidewalks go buy from a bookstore or checkout from your local library - Walkable City: How Downtown can Save America One Step at a Time.

Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time by Jeff Speck | 9780865477728 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/walkable-city-jeff-speck/1111483349?ean=9780865477728)

For those with ADHD - here is a video.

Jeff Speck: The walkable city | Talk Video | TED.com (http://www.ted.com/talks/jeff_speck_the_walkable_city)Thanks for that. I'll check that out!

Just the facts
05-29-2014, 10:11 AM
It is a very easy read with small sections. I just put it next to the bed and read a section per night. Of course, Uber also paid me to read it while I sat in the car. :)

boitoirich
05-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Anecdote Warning

When I visit my family on the Eastside, I often walk the half-mile to Edwards Park in order to run around the 0.5-mi. lake trail. I see families playing pick-up sports, older people walking along the track, children on the playground, and elderly men fishing. I see many of these people with some regularity. They all enjoy the amenities that are offered near their own homes. However, EVERYONE drives to Edwards Park. Although it flanks three neighborhoods, there are absolutely no sidewalks leading to the park. There is a sham of a sharrow bike lane that even I would be afraid to use, and I certainly wouldn't let my children ride along it to get to the park (N Bryant is over-engineered for the neighborhoods' needs). When I jog back to the house, some people stop me to ask the same questions:
1. What's there to do at the park?
2. Is it dangerous?
3. I want to try it, but does anyone else even go there?
4. There are no sidewalks and don't people drive crazy around here?

Decades of infrastructural shortcomings have inspired people that there is nothing to do, parks can be dangerous to be, and even more dangerous to walk/bike to. While I applaud OKC's efforts to improve neighborhood parks, those improvements mean nothing without investment in streets that children and older people can walk along safely. Those improvements also mean nothing if neighbors aren't made aware of efforts to add amenities and safety features.

trousers
05-29-2014, 07:42 PM
While I applaud OKC's efforts to improve neighborhood parks, those improvements mean nothing without investment in streets that children and older people can walk along safely. Those improvements also mean nothing if neighbors aren't made aware of efforts to add amenities and safety features.

This x1000

bradh
05-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Bchris is right about the Phoenix metro. I lived in the east valley in Gilbert, and I ran 1.5 miles one way to Lifetime Fitness on nice wide sidewalks along Warner Rd.

One thing I notice about Oklahoma is tobacco use seems to be way higher than other places. Disgustingly higher it seems.

ljbab728
05-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Some of the things measured for this report are very easy (number of tennis courts) and some are fairly speculative. I'm not saying the findings are totally wrong, just that there is nothing conclusive about it. And I find the inclusion of number of dog parks to be a little strange. It may be a lifestyle plus but I'm not sure it has much relationship to the fitness of humans.

Just the facts
05-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Parking spaces at a park is a sure sign someone messed up somewhere. Pick your favorite park in the world and then see how many dedicated parking spaces are available (minus on-street parking).

Here is my list:
1) Rittenhouse Sq - Philly
2) Memorial Park - Jax
3) Balis Park - Jax

None of them have dedicated parking.

Pete
05-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Some of the things measured for this report are very easy (number of tennis courts) and some are fairly speculative. I'm not saying the findings are totally wrong, just that there is nothing conclusive about it. And I find the inclusion of number of dog parks to be a little strange. It may be a lifestyle plus but I'm not sure it has much relationship to the fitness of humans.

As a breeder of Labradors, I can tell you there is a very strong correlation in the fitness of the canine and their human.

I have 37 Labs out there and have had a couple of reunion get-togethers and the out-of-shape people had out-of-shape dogs, and vice versa.

The study is about as scientific as it's going to get but all you have to do is look around OKC to know it's pretty close to right, give or take a few positions.

ljbab728
05-29-2014, 09:29 PM
As a breeder of Labradors, I can tell you there is a very strong correlation in the fitness of the canine and their human.

I have 37 Labs out there and have had a couple of reunion get-togethers and the out-of-shape people had out-of-shape dogs, and vice versa.

The study is about as scientific as it's going to get but all you have to do is look around OKC to know it's pretty close to right, give or take a few positions.

I'm sure that may be true about the dogs and the owners, Pete. I just don't think the connection is there between the number of dogs parks and the fitness of humans for that to be a serious consideration for this report.

boitoirich
05-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Here is an interactive map of parks in Oklahoma City. Green means existing park, and neutral-colored areas are meaningfully served by nearby park. The areas in tan (some need for a nearby park), orange (moderate need), and red (strong need) show where more effort is needed.

ParkScore (http://parkscore.tpl.org/map.php?city=Oklahoma%20City)

Just the facts
05-30-2014, 11:06 AM
When I see charts like that boitoirich it just reminds me that we simply don't have enough money to save most of these places. All we can do is start building better urbanism at the core and work our way out from there, and if that means urban sprawl falls further into disrepair then so be it. The data and signs are there for suburban homeowners who want to save themselves before they are trapped forever.

boitoirich
05-30-2014, 12:42 PM
OKC's own Parks Master Plan admits the need for about 25 new parks and 8 multi-generational recreational centers in addition to investments in off-street trails, neighborhood sidewalks, and upgrades to existing parks. The 20-year plan would cost $1.35 billion over to implement. That represents tripling of what OKC would typically spend on parks, recreations, and trails.

Like you, I would not be upset if the first investments were made in the older neighborhoods of the core. Most pressing would be the immediate neighborhoods surrounding OCU, the neighborhood south of the Downtown Airpark, and the Culbertson Heights Addition neighborhood (North of JFK) east of Lottie.

I wonder if OKCPS would be open to making their open spaces available on evenings and weekends like in other cities.

bradh
05-30-2014, 01:07 PM
I wonder if OKCPS would be open to making their open spaces available on evenings and weekends like in other cities.

I would love it if local HS would open their stadium tracks with lights on nights and weekends

Pete
05-30-2014, 01:17 PM
I would love it if local HS would open their stadium tracks with lights on nights and weekends

Absolutely no reason not to do this.

It's a big pet peeve of mine... Those facilities are paid for by taxpayers yet are usually denied to the community. Same way with playgrounds and play fields at elementary schools, which should be open in the evenings, weekends and summers.

Every school has security guards and all they have to do is keep an eye out to make sure no one trashes anything.

bradh
05-30-2014, 02:55 PM
The local HS track where I went to HS in suburban Houston was always opened, and there was actually a timer for the lights that could be set by users.

bradh
06-05-2014, 08:06 PM
I got a little pissed yesterday driving by Bluff Creek Park on Hefner and looking at the dam and seeing no trespassing signs along an area where many (including myself) would go do hill runs up the dam. The city re-sodded where a couple dirt paths had been cut out from people running hills there. People are trying to get fit, and there aren't exactly a lot of hills to run around here, and the city gets butt hurt and throws a few signs up?

If anyone else ran the dam, there is a path on the NW side where Hefner bends that was also re-sodded, but no signs were put up.

LandRunOkie
06-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Absolutely no reason not to do this.

It's a big pet peeve of mine... Those facilities are paid for by taxpayers yet are usually denied to the community. Same way with playgrounds and play fields at elementary schools, which should be open in the evenings, weekends and summers.

Every school has security guards and all they have to do is keep an eye out to make sure no one trashes anything.

The same is true for school gyms. I was told it wasn't possible to use my high school's gym, no exceptions. No good reason to exclude people from the facilities they fund through taxes. Incidentally I think this closed-door policy regarding school gyms could explain why there are so few good shooters from Oklahoma. Too much wind outside to develop your skills.

PWitty
06-14-2014, 10:09 PM
^^ Doesn't seem to give the players in Kansas any issues :cool:

But seriously, I can understand not opening up gyms because that would give the public access inside the school when it's closed. Football fields and tracks there are no excuse for.

Bellaboo
06-14-2014, 10:13 PM
The same is true for school gyms. I was told it wasn't possible to use my high school's gym, no exceptions. No good reason to exclude people from the facilities they fund through taxes. Incidentally I think this closed-door policy regarding school gyms could explain why there are so few good shooters from Oklahoma. Too much wind outside to develop your skills.

Mark Price and Brent Price both were great shooters in the NBA. Mark Price has one of the all time best FT percentages ever. They both played at Enid High School.

LandRunOkie
06-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Not getting either of your points and how they relate to mine. Of course the Price brothers were exceptional - they were different, probably because they had access to a gym. And KS isn't as windy as OK.