View Full Version : Memorial Day Dedications

Dennis Heaton
05-26-2014, 08:50 AM
In Memory of my Step-Father, Nicholas "NicK" Wesley (1927-1966), USN, Broken Bow, OK.

USS Rowan, DD782

ljbab728
05-26-2014, 09:00 PM
In memory of my father (1925 - 1995) who was in the USN and served in the Philippines during WWII.

gjl
05-26-2014, 10:55 PM
In Memory of my father, (1921 - 1984) Army Air Corp, 390th Bomber Group, 568th Bombardment Squadron, Bombardier B17, Flew 35 missions, Lieutenant, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal.

If you look close at the crew pic you can see my mom's name Jeanette painted on the chin gun turret. That is dad, top row far right.

Dennis Heaton
05-27-2014, 05:13 AM
gjl...What kind of plane did your Father fly?

kelroy55
05-27-2014, 07:08 AM
I don't have any pictures on this computer but in memory of my mother who was a nurse in the Army and traveled across Europe with Patton's Army towards the front line.

gjl
05-27-2014, 08:44 AM
gjl...What kind of plane did your Father fly?

Bombardier B17G

Dennis Heaton
05-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Bombardier B17G

I betcha you look forward to the B-17 flying into Wiley Post?

gjl
05-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Yes. I still haven't bought a ride on one. It's something on my bucket list. I really wish my father was still around. I would love to buy him a ride on one. We used to watch the old TV show 12 O'clock High together back in the 60's. I think it brought back a lot of memories for him. I also have a scrap book of his from the war that has some pretty amazing photographs in it.

Jim Kyle
05-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Yes. I still haven't bought a ride on one. It's something on my bucket list. I really wish my father was still around. I would love to buy him a ride on one. We used to watch the old TV show 12 O'clock High together back in the 60's. I think it brought back a lot of memories for him. I also have a scrap book of his from the war that has some pretty amazing photographs in it.Were you aware that the Gregory Peck character in that great film was based on the real-life actions of the late James Madison Stewart, Brigadier General, USAF Reserve, better known to the world as Jimmy?

I spent the day remembering my father, Pvt. James William Kyle Sr., wounded in action on the Argonne front in October, 1918; his nephew S/Sgt. Ray Sanders, KIA with Patton in Belgium during 1944; and my college roommate 1/Lt. Joseph Sidney Nicholson, OU '52, dead in an L-19 crash in Korea a few months after the shooting stopped in 1953. And I shuddered each time the TV sounded Taps.

Freedom doesn't come cheaply. The price is always high.

Dennis Heaton
05-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Yes. I still haven't bought a ride on one. It's something on my bucket list. I really wish my father was still around. I would love to buy him a ride on one. We used to watch the old TV show 12 O'clock High together back in the 60's. I think it brought back a lot of memories for him. I also have a scrap book of his from the war that has some pretty amazing photographs in it.

Shoot...I was staying up late at night just to watch "12 O'clock High" on MeTV on 4.2 or 5.2 until they changed their line up a couple months back.

Dennis Heaton
05-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Here's one from my Family History I am saving for Veteran's Day..."George Feight" (1843-1937):

George was born July 15, 1843 near Granville, Delaware Co., Ind., son of Adam Feight, born in New York, and Anastasia (Stacy)Ann McCormick, born in Virginia. He died Nov. 20, 1937 at Hillsboro, Vernon Co., Wis., aged 94 years, 4 months and 5 days, and was buried there in the local cemetery.

George married twice. His first wife, Rebecca Ann Cole, daughter of Adam and Ann Cole, died in Apr. 1873 at Wonewoc, Juneau County, Wis. Their two known children were: Minerva L., b. 1 Jan 1867 & Rebecca Ann, b. Mar 1873.

On April 16, 1874 George was united in marriage to Mary (Addie) Adeline Parker at Wonewoc, Juneau County, Wisconsin. Mary was born in 1857 in Wonewoc, Juneau County, Wisconsin, and died 28 July 28, 1921 at Buchanan, Berrien County, Michigan. Their daughter, Ivy Louise, was born May 5, 1879, in Wonewoc, Juneau County, Wisconsin, and later married G.E. Soli.

George was a Civil War veteran of Company B, 12th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment.

George enlisted September 11, 1862 at Ironton, Sauk County, Wisconsin, to serve three years as a Private in the 12th Wisconsin Infantry. On September 11, 1862 he was mustered into Federal service with Company B at Madison, Wisconsin. At that time he received $25.00 of his $100.00 enlistment bounty, and was listed as a 19 years old, 5'9" tall farmer, with brown hair, blue eyes and a fair complexion, born in Delaware County, Indiana.

On the June 1863 muster roll George was listed as absent sick in General Hospital, 4th Division, 16th Army Corps, near Vicksburg, Mississippi, since June 22, 1863.

On July 21, 1864 George was severely wounded in the right forearm while in action at Atlanta, Georgia, and on July 30, 1864 hospitalized at the 17th Army Corps Hospital, Marietta, Georgia. Having improved, he was given a furlough on September 14, 1864. On the muster rolls of October 1864 through February 1865 he was listed as absent sick at Chattanooga, Tennessee, and his pay stopped $18.02 for transportation while on furlough. In March 1865, he apparently rejoined his company.

On May 31, 1865 George was mustered out of Federal service, at Washington, D.C. On the muster out roll it was noted that he was due $75.00 of his enlistment bounty, and was entitled to pay, allowances and travel to his place of enrollment.

After his discharge, George returned to Wisconsin, moving to Hillsboro, Wisconsin, in October 1925.

(Wisconsin, Find A Grave, Ancestry.com)

RadicalModerate
05-27-2014, 12:58 PM
My Dad was about 20 years older, at the time, and served "at home"--at the Naval Gun Factory--to help with the War Effort.

My Mom worked at The Pentagon about the time that the Korean War got underway and went the way that it did.

Following the end of WWII--and the UN Korean Police Action--he (and mom) had a choice of working with the [ex]-Nazi Scientists at Cape Canaveral or working elsewhere.

He chose to work elsewhere. He didn't want to be close to ex-Nazis. Plus, Mom didn't like the climate in Florida.

A couple of, more recent, decades ago, what was left of the immediate family, would help decorate graves on Memorial Day.
Sometimes a picnic was involved. A very small and simple picnic.
(Mom is a member of the Women's Auxiliary of the I.O.O.F. as well as a more "Christian" organization known by various names in various churches.)

Jim Kyle
05-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Here's one from my Family History I am saving for Veteran's Day..."George Feight" (1843-1937).I forgot to mention (or give either special rememberance on Sunday) two of my great-grandfathers. Anson James Kyle, 28th Texas Cavalry, died at the Battle of Blair's Landing during the War Between the States and was buried on the battlefield by his brother. His grave was never marked. James Lawless survived his service in a Union regiment and is buried in Russell County, KY.

jmpokc1957
05-27-2014, 04:57 PM
In memory of my father, PFC John Popa, 334th Infantry, 84th Division, Company F. Upon being drafted in 1943, he was sent to Lafayette College in Pennsylvania as part of the Army's ASTP( Army Specialized Training Program ). After a while, they decided they needed bodies to invade Europe, so it was goodbye to college and hello to the infantry, Camp Claiborne, Louisiana. From there it was off to Europe via Omaha Beach in September, 1944. He participated in the first major assault on Germany, and was taken prisoner on November, 18, 1944. He was assigned to a work camp in north eastern Germany. He was not yet 21 years old. Liberated by the Russians in April of 1945, He and his fellow prisoners trekked three days to the Allied lines, where he was repatriated at Camp Lucky Strike. He came back to the US, was given 30 days leave and then told to reassemble as they needed men to invade Japan. He was at an army post in Texas when the Japanese surrendered.

Quite a story. I am proud to tell it but I have mixed feelings as dad hated that war. It really messed him up. He tried as hard as he could to forget it, but that, of course, wasn't possible.

His brother, my Uncle Earl, on the other hand, had the best time he ever had during the war and couldn't stop talking about it. In fact, while dad was in POW camp, my uncle was visiting castles in France! I have the post card he sent home.

Go figure...