View Full Version : Losing a few pounds

gbyte
08-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Well, I know that the best way to lose a few pounds around the waist is usually cardio but it seems every time I start jogging/walking/exercising alot that is usually in the cardio sections my knees tend to pop alot more often and hurt more.

So my question is do any of you people know of effective way to lose 10-15 lbs (the downside of a desk job! heh) over a month or two that is around the waist?

Karried
08-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Stop eating sugar and starchy carbs for two weeks - no alcohol ( sugar from the alcohol converts right to abdomen fat)

Check out South Beach - love that - I lost 18 lbs last year and have kept 16 off all year ... in fact I'm starting a two week low carb thing again just to get ready for the holidays!

Walk at least 30 minutes a day (no running or jogging if it hurts your knees)

When I need to cut back I eat Chicken breast and vegetables, salads and eggs, cheese - no sugar, no rice, pasta, potatoes, bread for a few weeks - the pounds start to melt away - seriously.

Favorite Low Carb menu:

Two egg Omelette with Bacon, Avocado and Sour Cream

Handful of Roasted Almonds

Chef Salad for lunch with Ranch dressing -

Mozzarella Stick

Broiled Chicken Breast
Hot Steamed Cauliflower mashed like potatoes with real butter and salt and pepper.... it's delicious!

Sugar Free jello

Eat until you are satisfied - you won't feel the high low food cravings... do this for two weeks and then slowly introduce some carbs back into your diet. You should check out the book. It is filled with great ideas and recipes and you will understand better how it all works.

mranderson
08-17-2005, 09:03 AM
On February 1, 2005, I weight a lean, mean 325 pounds. I started a life changing series of events that has had great results. Here it is.

I try to walk (actually 20 minutes a day minumum), run down 40 flights of stairs a day, five days a week, and have changed the way I eat.

Karrie is right.

Three days a week, I will eat two baked chicken breasts (skinless), and a vegetable. I do not steam them, however. Canned green beans are only 40 calaries per can, so, I do not even heat them. I will heat califlower or brussels sprouts. Then I will eat my fill of carrots or celery, and a bowl of sugar free gelatin.

Two days a week, I will sub the leanest ground sirloin (usually 1/2 pound uncooked) and still do the rest. Four days a week I will do a salad with fat free miracle whip and mustard or ketchup for dressing (about 100 calaries max for the dressing)

Two days a week (weekends) are my slurge days.

Rarely will I eat candy or other sweets.

As of this morning, I weighed 233 pounds. I still have about 40 to go.

Total loss? About 80 pounds.

mrote
08-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Congratulations mranderson! The main thing now is to make sure you stick with the lifestyle/eating change so you don't put the pounds back on. I think the one of the best things you are doing besides the exersize is allowing yourself a day or two where you do what you want. I think too many people get wrapped up in the whole diet thing and take it too far then feel like they are missing out so instead of just allowing themselves a day of "pleasure" per week the give up entirely. Really though, in the end, you have to find what works for you so it's no longer a "diet" but is just you eating correctly.

mranderson
08-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Congratulations mranderson! The main thing now is to make sure you stick with the lifestyle/eating change so you don't put the pounds back on. I think the one of the best things you are doing besides the exersize is allowing yourself a day or two where you do what you want. I think too many people get wrapped up in the whole diet thing and take it too far then feel like they are missing out so instead of just allowing themselves a day of "pleasure" per week the give up entirely. Really though, in the end, you have to find what works for you so it's no longer a "diet" but is just you eating correctly.

Richard Simmons once said "Diet is a negative term. I like live it." Even my doctor said I need a couple of splurge days so I would not burn out. In the beginning I was VERY strict and took no days off except for some of the days I was in California and Nevada on vacation.

I need to make an adjustment now. My weight is stable. I still need to lose. Yes. Each person must choose for him or herself. No two people are alike.

ibda12u
08-17-2005, 05:44 PM
mranderson, what do you do for breakfast and lunch?

mranderson
08-17-2005, 06:17 PM
I alternate between three eggs and two packets of oatmeal in the morning, and lunch is usually a sandwich or something. On Sunday, I usually have breakfast with a friend.

gbyte
08-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Nice mranderson...my old boss actually went on a big diet as he had to with how high his cholestrol was. Ended up weighing almost as much as me.

I'm not seriously overweight as I'm ~200 lbs for being 6'3" so I'm pretty much in-line but with the desk job and most of my friends having moved away recently I haven't found as many activities to keep myself as active.

I've already cut alot of carbs out of diet and will probably lose most of the weight I want when I have laproscopic nissen surgery in a while but was looking for other suggestions as to activities I could do that would help.

mranderson
08-17-2005, 09:14 PM
FYI. I am 50 years old had have a cholestorol level of 102.