View Full Version : Solar Driving Surfaces

Teo9969
05-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways

I'm excited to see what their numbers are. I have a hunch this will be über expensive…but I'd think for state highways in the middle of nowhere southern united states, that a ton of energy could be created.

I think these would be super ineffective on streets, especially ones running N/S in big cities, but for cemented areas in parks, it would be a fantastic feature, considering it's more than just a way to harness energy. Parking lots in less developed areas would surely find this to be a good long-term investment.

Just the facts
05-23-2014, 12:05 PM
I think this another one of the those great ideas that would never work in large scale deployment.

We need simpler solutions, not more complex solutions. The less complicated something is the less likely it is break, and when it does break the easier it is to fix.

Dubya61
05-23-2014, 12:33 PM

I'm excited to see what their numbers are. I have a hunch this will be über expensive…but I'd think for state highways in the middle of nowhere southern united states, that a ton of energy could be created.

I think these would be super ineffective on streets, especially ones running N/S in big cities, but for cemented areas in parks, it would be a fantastic feature, considering it's more than just a way to harness energy. Parking lots in less developed areas would surely find this to be a good long-term investment.

I sure like the idea a LOT, but the problem with highways in the middle of nowhere, if there's no one nearby using the power generated, a lot of it gets lost in transmission TO the areas that want it. On the other hand, it was power that wasn't there in the first place, so who cares if you generate 100KW where there was none in the first place and lose 75% of it in transmission. You still get 25KW where there was none in the first place. Yeah, there's a cost -- that'll have to be factored in to decide if it's worth the installation.

Teo9969
05-23-2014, 01:23 PM
I sure like the idea a LOT, but the problem with highways in the middle of nowhere, if there's no one nearby using the power generated, a lot of it gets lost in transmission TO the areas that want it. On the other hand, it was power that wasn't there in the first place, so who cares if you generate 100KW where there was none in the first place and lose 75% of it in transmission. You still get 25KW where there was none in the first place. Yeah, there's a cost -- that'll have to be factored in to decide if it's worth the installation.

but what about the cost/energy you save by not having the cost of shipping energy to those remote parts? Again, it would take a very honest look at all the numbers, primary, secondary, tertiary and peripheral to decide how useful this idea would be.

Just the facts
05-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Let's just hope there is no copper/gold in them or they will be gone faster than they can install them.

venture
05-23-2014, 02:02 PM
These definitely could have added bonuses especially in areas that heavily use salt for snow removal. With them being heated that would help save cities in buying salt every year, road repair, and staffing.

Plutonic Panda
05-23-2014, 02:04 PM

I think these would be super ineffective on streets, especially ones running N/S in big cities, but for cemented areas in parks, it would be a fantastic feature, considering it's more than just a way to harness energy. Parking lots in less developed areas would surely find this to be a good long-term investment.I posted about it in the cool facts thread.

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 01:39 AM
Now this would be neat!

OKLAHOMA CITY - Over 6.5 million views in just 10 days, Solar Panel Roads have become a viral sensation. But what are they, and how could Oklahoma benefit?
Potholes line many of Oklahoma's streets, but what if pot holes were gone. And the ice and snow we see in the winter months could just melt away instantly. An aggressive campaign is underway for such a revolutionary concept.

"Literally has the potential to change the world for the better," said Sustainable OKC President Tim Tillman.

Solar panel roadways, created by an Idaho couple back in 2006, has received research funding from the Federal Highway Administration and $1.5 Million through online fundraising.

"Every panel has a series of led lights on the circuit board that can be programed to make warning signs, lane signs and parking lot designs" – according to the video.

The idea has sustainable OKC president Tim Tillman energized.

read more here: Could Oklahoma Benefit From Solar Roadways? - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/25635841/could-oklahoma-benefit-from-solar-roadways)

Just the facts
05-29-2014, 07:02 AM
After considering this idea even more, it has one huge flaw - it requires the sun to make it work. That means no power for streetlights (good luck with pavement marking at night), no snow melting, and no electricity for rural uses. The amount of batteries this system would require would put our national debt to shame.

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Yeah that is true.... perhaps it would require to be hooked up to electricity for night and heavy overcast days.

Robert_M
05-29-2014, 10:39 AM
From their website FAQ

How do you store the excess energy?

We designed Our prototype to use "virtual storage", meaning that any excess energy is placed back to the grid during daylight hours and then can be drawn back out of the grid at night. This is important as solar energy is only available during the day, but our heating elements need to have power at night in the wintertime in northern climates for snowy weather. However, we can add any current or future energy storage devices to our system. For instance, batteries and flywheels can be placed in the Cable Corridor for easy access, if customers wish to incorporate them. We chose to not use batteries in our prototype system. We fear that, if we make that the norm, our environmental project could leave mountains of lead acid battery in its wake.

They also talk about selling power back to the grid so it would be hooked up in some way

Teo9969
05-29-2014, 10:59 AM
I see no reason it couldn't be hooked to regular electricity for extended dark periods.

Actually, the thing that I wonder is how visible are road markimgs going to be during the day.

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 usando Tapatalk 2

Midtowner
05-29-2014, 11:15 AM
There is no way oil and coal will allow these roads to be built in the U.S. China, however, would be smart to implement these. This could be an answer to China's looming energy crisis.

Just the facts
05-29-2014, 11:23 AM
From their website FAQ

How do you store the excess energy?

We designed Our prototype to use "virtual storage", meaning that any excess energy is placed back to the grid during daylight hours and then can be drawn back out of the grid at night. This is important as solar energy is only available during the day, but our heating elements need to have power at night in the wintertime in northern climates for snowy weather. However, we can add any current or future energy storage devices to our system. For instance, batteries and flywheels can be placed in the Cable Corridor for easy access, if customers wish to incorporate them. We chose to not use batteries in our prototype system. We fear that, if we make that the norm, our environmental project could leave mountains of lead acid battery in its wake.

They also talk about selling power back to the grid so it would be hooked up in some way

Clearly whomever wrote that doesn't know how elecricity or the power grid works. You can't just put electricity in the grid for use later. Unless you put it in a battery for storage, electricity is meant to be used at the time it is created.

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 12:22 PM
There is no way oil and coal will allow these roads to be built in the U.S. China, however, would be smart to implement these. This could be an answer to China's looming energy crisis.Doesn't the fossil fuel energy sector in China have a fairly large influence?

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Clearly whomever wrote that doesn't know how elecricity or the power grid works. You can't just put electricity in the grid for use later. Unless you put it in a battery for storage, electricity is meant to be used at the time it is created.I think they're saying they will draw from the grid in general.

Just the facts
05-29-2014, 12:28 PM
I think they're saying they will draw from the grid in general.

So then what was the purpose of this system again?

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 12:34 PM
So then what was the purpose of this system again?Well, in the daytime it will produce quite a bit of energy that will be fed into the grid reducing the need for non-renewable energy resources which I understand is its primary function. The lane and warning signs are just a perk.

I still think solar energy is very complex and too early in its infancy to start spending massive amounts of money on it. Solar energy is cool, but I think it needs to produce more energy for how much space it requires to do anything. Same as wind. I do NOT like wind energy farms on large scale.

I've been meaning to start a thread on this, but I think every rooftop should have some kind of grass or plant-life that puts of oxygen or solar panels that could potential power a house for the most part and put energy back into the grid when not in use. Just think how much less energy we would be using and countering greenhouse emissions if every rooftop in the United States alone did that?

Just the facts
05-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Well, in the daytime it will produce quite a bit of energy that will be fed into the grid reducing the need for non-renewable energy resources which I understand is its primary function. The lane and warning signs are just a perk.

Maybe, but this system isn't near as efficient as just putting in a bunch of solar panels on roofs all across rural America. The more I think about it the more this is a solution in search of a problem, and it isn't even a cost effective solution. With that said, DOTs across America will be all over it.

venture
05-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Maybe, but this system isn't near as efficient as just putting in a bunch of solar panels on roofs all across rural America. The more I think about it the more this is a solution in search of a problem, and it isn't even a cost effective solution. With that said, DOTs across America will be all over it.

I would argue that innovations like this are needed to eventually get us to a cost effective solution. If we stopped researching and innovating at the first attempt because the solution is too expensive, then we would still be using ink wells and parchment to send communications. If this idea can evolve and continue to be improved on to allow for businesses/schools to no longer have to close for snow or eliminate the Spring pot hole repair season...they could very easily pay for themselves.

From a safety stand point I think it would be great to have LEDs for the lane lines to help highlight boundaries that can be difficult to see when roads are wet and such. If these can also be used to take over all power needs for roads (during the day) plus additional infusion into the power grid, that helps to offset a lot of the lighting costs at night.

Regardless...I view this as a need to keep innovating. Standing still and not exploring how to use new technology (or technology in new ways) is just an insult to our history of bettering ourselves.

Just the facts
05-29-2014, 01:02 PM
I am not sure how well LEDs can even be seen when cars headlights are shinning on them - and nothing is more cost effective than reflectors. They use light that is already produced and used for another reason and are the ultimate photo-recyclers. Anyhow, no use in worry about it. Peace out.

bombermwc
05-30-2014, 07:35 AM
Great ideas start somewhere. This one isn't going to happen for a million reasons. But it might spur something else to be developed that would be helpful in other ways we haven't thought of.

The internet started as a military communications network...and look what it is now.

Just the facts
05-30-2014, 07:56 AM
The internet started as a military communications network...and look what it is now.

A government spying tool?

Plutonic Panda
05-30-2014, 02:18 PM
From Cnet

You've probably heard that people love an underdog, but one couple's Indiegogo campaign to fund the manufacture of "solar roadways" seems to prove that longshot lovers are even willing to throw their money at an insanely ambitious idea, just because.

Scott and Julie Brusaw have been working for years to create smart solar panels that, when covered by special tempered glass, can actually replace roadways and parking lots. In addition to collecting solar energy, solar roadways also sport LED lighting, heating elements, inductive charging capability for electric vehicles while driving, and even some stormwater management abilities.

It's such a compelling idea that so far over 36,000 people have backed the project on Indiegogo, with total contributions of over $1.5 million as of this writing on Thursday. That surpasses the previous Indiegogo record for most individual contributions to a single campaign that was held by Mathew Inman's effort to raise money for a Nikola Tesla museum, which 33,000 people contributed to.

- read more here: Solar-roadway backers set crowdfunding record - CNET (http://www.cnet.com/news/solar-roadways-tops-1-5-million-sets-indiegogo-record/)