View Full Version : How Well do You Remember the Mount St. Helens Eruption?

Plutonic Panda
05-19-2014, 02:07 PM
I thought this would be an interesting discussion seeing as I wasn't even alive when she blew her top, but still have studied it a bit.

Found this interesting article from The Earth Story on Facebook.

Blast from the past

You can only imagine that what this climber saw at 8.32 a.m. on May 18th 1980 literally knocked her off her feet. The huge bulge that had been growing on the northern flank of Mount Saint Helens with approximately 2m a day collapsed into one of the biggest debris avalanches recorded in human history. John V. Christensen took this image of the lateral blast of the volcano from another volcano, Mount Adams, about 50km away.

The bulge on the northflank of St Helens, at the time growing outwards 140m, actually had a cryptodome under it where magma had been accumulating for months. A 5.1. magnitude earthquake (which could have caused the climber to get knocked off her feet) occurred under the volcano and set loose the bulge, the cryptodome and hot water into one of the a debris avalanche accompanied by a lateral blast. This lateral blast moved at a speed of 480km/h. During this, the upper 400m of St Helens top was blasted off and the avalanche managed to reach at least 23km land inwards. Since Mount Adams was only 53km from Mt St Helens, the debris avalanche flow actually got pretty close to the climber on the picture and, as you might except, there is no way to outrun it.

Finally, St Helens was rid of its bulge and able to release pressure by sending an eruption cloud more than 24km into the air. At noon, multiple pyroclastic flows had come down the new horseshoe shaped crater and the melting ice had caused lahars (surges of water mixed with debris) of which the largest managed to get 80km away from the volcano.

Sadly, 57 people died during Mt St Helens 1980 eruption.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1610109_684287818298932_8064155896154248483_n.jpg

- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=684287818298932&set=a.352867368107647.80532.352857924775258&type=1

rezman
05-19-2014, 02:22 PM
I was in high school at the time and lived over by 32nd & Ann Arbor. When I came out to drive to school in the morning, there was a fine layer of greyish white dust that had carried down from Washington state over night and settled on my car, as well as everyone elses car on my street that sat out.

Plutonic Panda
05-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Wow, never knew ash and dust from the Volcano made it all the way here.

shawnw
05-19-2014, 02:48 PM
This is something I've been trying to reconcile historically for a long time. When I was in 3rd grade living in Barstow, California, we (the students) thought it was snowing outside, but the teacher said it was ash from a volcano, which didn't make sense to me at the time, and I never followed up with it by watching the news because, well, I was in 3rd grade and didn't care about such things. Anyway, the timing lines up as I was in 3rd grade in 1980, which is when the eruption was. BUT, it happened on 18 May, which was a Sunday, so I wouldn't have been in school. Also, none of the ash fall maps I've seen from the eruption includes any part of California... can anyone help me reconcile this issue? Were there any other burps of ash that year? Such a strange event...

Dustin
05-19-2014, 03:02 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Hu6CD2A.jpg

silvergrove
05-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Goes to show this state gets everything. Tornadoes, earthquakes, random tropical storms restrengthening over us, blizzards, and volcanic fallout.

Dustin
05-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Goes to show this state gets everything. Tornadoes, earthquakes, random tropical storms restrengthening over us, blizzards, and volcanic fallout.

We're god's toilet.

MustangGT
05-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Watched it blow its top more or less on live TV. Interesting natural occurrence.

jmpokc1957
05-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Living in Oregon I remember Mt. St. Helens well. I think it was a Sunday as I had come home for the weekend from Oregon State University in Corvallis, Or. I don't remember how I heard that it had erupted, but I was soon watching the news. Portland was not directly affected, but we did get ash from the ash falls that occurred in the years following the eruption. What a mess! Clouds of ash on the street, on the roof, in the gutters, yuck! Everyone was sick of that stuff!

I do remember that one of the summers following the eruption we had our all time high temperatures, three days of 107 deg. We also had ash around and it was just awful with that ash swirling around. The city would drop off fire hoses and wrenches at fire hydrants and we would have a block party hosing down the streets! No lack of water in western Oregon!

The relatives back east all called wanting us to send them cans of ash. When we cleaned out mom's old house we found some cans of ash back in the corners of the garage.

The devastation is beyond belief. Remember, it blew off the top 1200 feet of the mountain!
When I was doing a lot of flying I would fly around it weekly. I would leave Hillsboro, Or and fly directly across Portland direct to the mountain( Portland approach control was always very accommodating).
I would fly to the mountain and circle to the left. They had procedures in place due to the high volume of planes wanting to take a look. Airliners descending into Portland would even have a circle of the mountain. Anyways, I would circle it once or twice and then follow the route of the mud/debris flow westward down the Toutle river to the Columbia and return home. It was amazing.

The ash and debris is still being dealt with in some areas all these years later.

jmpokc1957
05-19-2014, 03:19 PM
This is something I've been trying to reconcile historically for a long time. When I was in 3rd grade living in Barstow, California, we (the students) thought it was snowing outside, but the teacher said it was ash from a volcano, which didn't make sense to me at the time, and I never followed up with it by watching the news because, well, I was in 3rd grade and didn't care about such things. Anyway, the timing lines up as I was in 3rd grade in 1980, which is when the eruption was. BUT, it happened on 18 May, which was a Sunday, so I wouldn't have been in school. Also, none of the ash fall maps I've seen from the eruption includes any part of California... can anyone help me reconcile this issue? Were there any other burps of ash that year? Such a strange event...

Yes, there were periodic ash falls in the years following. It just depended on which way the upper level winds were blowing.
I remember looking at the horizon and you could see a column of ash rising straight up from the mountain and then see the upper level winds start to move it off.

shawnw
05-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Yes, there were periodic ash falls in the years following. It just depended on which way the upper level winds were blowing.
I remember looking at the horizon and you could see a column of ash rising straight up from the mountain and then see the upper level winds start to move it off.

I need to research more... Barstow is down there and in the middle of the desert...

Jeepnokc
05-19-2014, 04:56 PM
I was living at Ft Lewis (Back when it was separate from McChord) and was around 13. The ground shook a little and we heard the explosion. We could also see the cloud in the very distant sky. We got an ash dusting all over everything but wasn't deep as the cloud went more east and we were north.

My dad at the time was either heading up a maintenance battalion or was the Inspector General but I remember he had to go down to the area to make sure the helicopters and other equipment was being maintained correctly as they were worried about all the ash. Somewhere in storage, I have the Tacoma News Tribune with the front page picture and several other issues in the days that followed.

I remember this old man that wouldn't leave his mountain or Spirit Lake. Harry Truman. He died on the mountain. Harry Randall Truman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Randall_Truman)

OKCRT
05-19-2014, 06:08 PM

Yes there was plenty of ash here in the city area. It was heavy enough to block out the sun and looked like a foggy day would look.

Snowman
05-19-2014, 06:36 PM
How Well do You Remember the Mount St. Helens Eruption?

My memory of it was not great, being around six months from being born at the time.

mugofbeer
05-19-2014, 06:56 PM
I remember playing softball in OKC with the hazy yellow sky from the ash. I definitely dont recall ash coating anything tho

RadicalModerate
05-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Does the apparent [popularity] of this thread topic have something to do with the recent spate of local earthquakes (only three or four of which I have personally felt) on top of memories of fairly recent tornadoes?

Can you imagine how scary it would be if Giant Saber Toothed Tigers, Mastodons and no running water were added to the mix? =)

In all honesty, all jesting aside, my personal reaction to "Mount St. Helens" was . . .
Wow. The one immediate casualty to the event was a stubborn dumbass for not moving.
Gee. Looks like the Kind Folk in Portland (and Seattle) are being a bit inconvenienced.

The next time Mount St. Helen's erupts . . .
(perhaps . . . Godzilla? Maybe . . . Mothra?)

Zuplar
05-19-2014, 07:28 PM
We need it to erupt again. Help stop global warming. Maybe if we start fracking near it that will help.

Plutonic Panda
05-19-2014, 07:53 PM
My memory of it was not great, being around six months from being born at the time.hey, you're doing better than me. I was born in 1993 so I wasn't even made yet :p

hoya
05-19-2014, 08:10 PM
I was about to turn 2 years old, so my memory of it is hazy.

However, growing up it was in the news quite a bit. I remember seeing tons of pictures of the place before and after the eruption. It was a very recent event, and the biggest natural disaster of the day, so a lot of books were written about it and we covered it in school. I remember it as if I had been familiar with the mountain before the eruption.

RadicalModerate
05-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Okay . . . So I was sort of "grown up" when the geological event under discussion actually occurred . . .
(cut me a little slack fer cryin' out loud . . .)

How about . . .

If You Think Mount St. Helen's was A Thrill . . .
Move to Yellowstone!

or mebbe

It Isn't The Fault of New Madras
That It Coincides With The Asteroid!
(that will unleash Godzilla to battle with Batman, etc.)

Plutonic Panda
05-19-2014, 08:18 PM
I always wonder if Yellowstone will blow in 'our time'. It might become known as Redstone or Lavastone :p

RadicalModerate
05-19-2014, 08:21 PM

So how in the heck did the ash cloud avoid the panhandles of both Oklahoma and Oklahoma del Sur?
(don't look "scientific" t' me . . . =)

Plutonic Panda
05-19-2014, 08:26 PM
So how in the heck did the ash cloud avoid the panhandles of both Oklahoma and Oklahoma del Sur?
(don't look "scientific" t' me . . . =)That's simple. The ash cloud heard about Oklahoma having Blizzards, earthquakes, tornados, dust storms, tropical storms that have strengthened when over us, massive flash floods, but no ash from volcanic eruptions and thought to itself 'not on my watch' and decided to send one of it's 'guys' to show us some luv. ;)

RadicalModerate
05-19-2014, 08:28 PM
I always wonder if Yellowstone will blow in 'our time'. It might become known as Redstone or Lavastone :p

When I was a bit younger than you, I wondered the same thing about Nikita K and His Chinese Henchmen.
(thankfully, the killers of "democracy" couldn't control volcanoes and earthquakes . . .
except in James Bond novels printed on tree by-products.)

RadicalModerate
05-19-2014, 08:32 PM
That's simple. The ash cloud heard about Oklahoma having Blizzards, earthquakes, tornados, dust storms, tropical storms that have strengthened when over us, massive flash floods, but no ash from volcanic eruptions and thought to itself 'not on my watch' and decided to send one of it's 'guys' to show us some luv. ;)

I don't think it was documented on videotape, yet there is a rumor that all the throwback NIMBYs got together and [shared good thoughts] that all that [stuff] would land elsewhere. Yet they are a primitive people . . . in need of water and better internet connections.

venture
05-19-2014, 10:37 PM

Well... Depends how many of us are left if it blows. Lol

Bunty
05-19-2014, 11:26 PM
Oklahoma City can't even get bypassed by some volcanic ash.

venture
05-20-2014, 02:18 AM
Let's not forget that Black Mesa is a lava flow from a volcano in Colorado.

Dennis Heaton
05-20-2014, 05:07 AM
My first child was born and we were preparing to move from Luke AFB, AZ to Shaw AFB, SC...and we were glued to the TV. Awesome display of "natural" power.

Dennis Heaton
05-20-2014, 05:11 AM

I would go back and search for "Fires." As we have just seen this past week...seems pretty common this time of year out in California. (And don't forget about the "Mines" out in the "4 Corners" area)

shawnw
05-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Does the apparent [popularity] of this thread topic have something to do with the recent spate of local earthquakes (only three or four of which I have personally felt) on top of memories of fairly recent tornadoes?

Doesn't hurt that the anniversary was a couple days ago so it's probably been in the news...

PennyQuilts
05-20-2014, 09:32 AM
I was living at Ft Lewis (Back when it was separate from McChord) and was around 13. The ground shook a little and we heard the explosion. We could also see the cloud in the very distant sky. We got an ash dusting all over everything but wasn't deep as the cloud went more east and we were north.

My dad at the time was either heading up a maintenance battalion or was the Inspector General but I remember he had to go down to the area to make sure the helicopters and other equipment was being maintained correctly as they were worried about all the ash. Somewhere in storage, I have the Tacoma News Tribune with the front page picture and several other issues in the days that followed.

I remember this old man that wouldn't leave his mountain or Spirit Lake. Harry Truman. He died on the mountain. Harry Randall Truman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Randall_Truman)
Yeah, the human interest aspect of Mr. Truman really intrigued me. I mean, they knew what was on the way but he refused to leave. To me, the notion of a violent volcano on the lower 48 was mind blowing. I was pregnant at the time and wondered if this was the start of a bad geological cycle that would impact my babies.

PennyQuilts
05-20-2014, 09:34 AM

It won't be known for anything because we'll be gone!

Urbanized
05-20-2014, 10:17 AM
I was - I think - a 6th grader in Wichita, KS, and I remember that you could wipe your hand across the windshield of an automobile in the days following the eruption and come away with gritty ash on your palm.

I visited Mount St. Helens in 1999, and I was alternately struck by how resilient nature was (you could clearly see areas reforesting and wildlife returning), but also by how devastated the surroundings still were nearly 20 years later. I'd like to make it back and see what it's like now, 15 years after THAT visit.

Dennis Heaton
05-20-2014, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=Urbanized;788624 I'd like to make it back and see what it's like now, 15 years after THAT visit.[/QUOTE]

I sure hope it DOESN'T look like this...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt+St+Helens/@46.1912,-122.1944,2497m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x54969956568a2691:0x69ddb 4f4b6cf94c7

Plutonic Panda
05-20-2014, 01:20 PM
It won't be known for anything because we'll be gone!Why do you say that? Last map I saw, we were in the clear. We would have quite a bit of ash to clean up, but I thought we were in the safe zone.

Dennis Heaton
05-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Why do you say that?

http://video.pbs.org/video/2318814196/

venture
05-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Why do you say that? Last map I saw, we were in the clear. We would have quite a bit of ash to clean up, but I thought we were in the safe zone.

We would likely be buried and this area inhabitable for 10 years or more. It all depends on prevailing winds when it blows though on where the ash falls.

RadicalModerate
05-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Sure hope "The Feds" would help to bail us out . . .
Or would shovels be more effective than buckets?

Maybe there could be a helicopter drop of snorkels?
(and some cuff clips or wading boots to avoid the inconvenience of dusty trousers?)

shawnw
05-20-2014, 01:59 PM
The recent mudslides in Washington killed dozens and that was a mile of mud. Imagine hundreds if not thousands of square miles of ash? Shiver...

kelroy55
05-20-2014, 02:03 PM

It won't be known for anything because we'll be gone!

It will be known as the "Oh Sh1t' eruption

PennyQuilts
05-20-2014, 02:39 PM
It will be known as the "Oh Sh1t' eruption

And the more gentile would stand outside looking up and scratching their heads saying, 'Well, DANG. That don't look right."

RadicalModerate
05-20-2014, 02:50 PM
And the more gentile would stand outside looking up and scratching their heads saying, 'Well, DANG. That don't look right."

Or . . . As they said in Pompeii . . . "Dangus! Quod non videant!!" =)
(modern Italian translation: Danga! . . . This-a no a-looka good!!)

Urbanized
05-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Why do you say that? Last map I saw, we were in the clear. We would have quite a bit of ash to clean up, but I thought we were in the safe zone.

The way I understand it, there would be no such thing as a "safe zone." As in, it would cause global starvation and turmoil. As in, let's hope it never happens in our lifetime.

venture
05-20-2014, 04:35 PM
The way I understand it, there would be no such thing as a "safe zone." As in, it would cause global starvation and turmoil. As in, let's hope it never happens in our lifetime.

They've tamed their predictions quite a bit over the last couple of years from what I've read. Many are saying now is that from the Midwest and Central US back to the Pac NW would get the bulk of the ash fall...though ash would still fall up to 2,000 miles away and be noticeable. The Yellowstone Volcanic monitoring offer should allow for plenty of advanced notice as well to evacuate those whom are nearest to the volcano. The good thing is most of those states around it are some of the lowest populated ones in the country.

I think the biggest issue we'll see are the obvious global cooling we would see for 6+ months due to the ash cloud blanketing the Earth. Then the fallout of ash causing an impact on farm lands and such. I would hazard to guess more people would die from the panic and civil unrest than from the blast itself.

RadicalModerate
05-20-2014, 05:15 PM
There are some old coal mines, near Marshall, Colorado, that have been burning for about a hundred years.
Unlike Mount St. Helens . . . Human intervention probably had something to do with it.
("Nae, Cap'n Kirk . . . I dinna have anything t' do wi' it . . . I'm an Engineer . . . no' a scriptwriter . . . " )