View Full Version : I need an automotive locksmith!

SoonerDave
05-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Hey..I need an automotive locksmith that can program a new key for my truck. We bought it used, and there was only one key available, and all the "internet-based" methods for programming a spare require two keys, so it looks like I've got to find an actual locksmith with the proper PCM writing equipment to authorize a new key...

Any suggestions?

BBatesokc
05-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Don't know if it works for all smart keys, but we had copies of my Ford F150 and my Infinity made at either Hope Depot or Lowes (can remember which). I think they were about $70 each. Just needed 1 key to make the copy.

gjl
05-17-2014, 03:48 PM
There is a locksmith shop on 23rd st on the NE corner where I44 crosses. They cut a key for my truck using only the VIN #. The Sports Animal used to do broadcasts from there and always advertised smart keys made for a lot less than dealers. Security Lock Service 3413 NW 23rd St
Oklahoma City, OK 73107

SoonerDave
05-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Don't know if it works for all smart keys, but we had copies of my Ford F150 and my Infinity made at either Hope Depot or Lowes (can remember which). I think they were about $70 each. Just needed 1 key to make the copy.

Everything I've read about my year/model of truck indicates the particular smart-key setup requires a PCM programmer to authorize the new key to the vehicle if you only have one key, and from what I understand that's not quite what the HD's/Lowe's have - but there could easily be something I'm just missing there.

There is a locksmith shop on 23rd st on the NE corner where I44 crosses. They cut a key for my truck using only the VIN #. The Sports Animal used to do broadcasts from there and always advertised smart keys made for a lot less than dealers. Security Lock Service 3413 NW 23rd St
Oklahoma City, OK 73107

That is PRECISELY where I just came from - I found them doing a bit of 'net snooping and they programmed a 2nd key for me for $72.88. Think I waited all of ten minutes. Dealer key was going to be *at least* double as best I can tell - lady just cut the duplicate, plugged in the PCM programmer, and had it done in just a few minutes.

I knew the Animal used to do remotes from *some* key service company but couldn't remember the name. Great I landed there anyway!

Thanks, everyone. Mission accomplished!