View Full Version : New parking meters coming to downtown

Patrick
08-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Many months ago downtownguy discussed some of the new high tech parking meters in other downtown areas. At the same time, Mick Cornett thought the idea was worthy of exploring. These new parking meters take credit cards in addition to coins. They can also serve many parking places, instead of having one meter per parking place.

---------------
"New parking meters tested

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City officials are testing a new kind of parking meter that will allow customers to pay by credit card or even by cell phone.
One of the new electronic meters, or “pay stations” serves up to 10 parking spaces.

“The parking meters that we have are becoming obsolete,” Transit spokeswoman Amy Ford said today. “No one is servicing them and it’s becoming more difficult to find parts for the meters when they have a malfunction. Everyone is moving to electronic meters.”

Staff from Downtown OKC Inc. pitched the idea after seeing the meters demonstrated at a trade show. The city is trying the new meters for three months beginning next week. Six of the electronic meters will be installed downtown.

Customers will have several options when they pay the new meters. Coins will still be accepted, but the new machines will also take credit cards. Then there is the pay-by-phone option.

Those who want to pay by cell phone will have to register with a website or a toll free phone number, providing a credit card for billing. One account can be used for multiple cell phone numbers. Then you just call a toll-free number and follow instructions when you want to use a meter. "

karlanee
08-16-2005, 12:07 PM
I remember seeing this idea in the paper what seems now like ages ago.

What would be even better is if someone came up with a reloadable parking meter card - so you aren't charging 50¢ on your credit card. That would be just as inconvenient as not having change.

Leave it to OKC - we are the inventor of the parking meter after all! LOL

In_Tulsa
08-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Are those the same new meters that Tulsa got about six months ago?

swake
08-16-2005, 10:28 PM
I've used them when I need to park closer to my office building than my garage downtown, pretty cool, and easy to use.

Patrick
08-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, OKC is a little behind on this. We were the first to develop parking meters, but we're one of the last to install these new parking meters! Strange!

Patrick
08-17-2005, 11:37 AM
I remember seeing this idea in the paper what seems now like ages ago.

What would be even better is if someone came up with a reloadable parking meter card - so you aren't charging 50¢ on your credit card. That would be just as inconvenient as not having change.

Leave it to OKC - we are the inventor of the parking meter after all! LOL

I'm sure those meters will take debit cards as well, anything with the Visa logo on the card. Using a debit card, or simply buying a Simon Gift Card, and loading it with %4 or so might be an option, as you can use Simon Gift Cards anywhere Visa is accepted.

Still, I think it would be a great idea if the city put together a program where they offered loadable Parking Meter Visa Cards.