View Full Version : MOVOTO misses the mark again... 10 Things Only People From Oklahoma City Understand

mmonroe
05-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Sorry if this has been posted, I did search beforehand.

10 Things Only People From Oklahoma City Understand - Movoto (http://www.movoto.com/oklahoma-city-ok/only-people-from-oklahoma-city-understand/)
By Kristin Norton

1. The Sound Of Trumpets Means Things Are Gonna Get Crazy Oklahoma Understand
It’s a day that ends in the letter “y.” And you know what that means! That’s right. Someone, somewhere in Oklahoma City is playing the “Boomer Sooner” fight song right now.
All of the Oklahoma sports teams are popular, but college and high school football teams reign the most supreme and nothing, I repeat, nothing gets in the way of an OU Sooners game.
Women have even been known to schedule the birth of their own children around games because, hey, you can have a kid any day of the week. But you only get a few chances during the year to watch the Sooners serve the Tide a slice of humble pie, am I right?

Trumpets? Really? I didn't know that OU was the only school in our state. (Boomer Sooner, btw)

2. Blue And Orange Are The Unofficial City Colors
Thunder Fever has gripped Oklahoma City, and the only cure is more Thunderwear. The Thunder continues to gain popularity since relocating from Seattle, and so blue and orange are pretty much everywhere you go. And you might think that walking into a bridal shop and asking if they have any wedding dresses in blue and orange would earn you at the very least a funny look. But not in OKC. It’s your wedding, after all, and you’ve got to “Thunder up!”

We do love our Thunder and our "thunderwear" but I doubt ANY bride in her right mind is asking for "Thunder" colored dresses, maybe more so camo but not blue and orange.

3. OKC Is Always “The Big Friendly,” No Matter What
As frustrating as it can be to constantly defend Oklahoma City, locals continue to do it with a smile. Partly because they love their city and also because this place is simply filled with some of the nicest people on earth.
No matter where you go you’ll find someone ready to strike up a conversation or lend a helping hand. Even if it means listening to someone say how surprised they are that the city is so “city-like” (compared to a ball of dust), they’ll say thank you and maybe even invite you to share their Sonic tater tots.

There is a difference between a dust "ball" and a dust "bowl" not sure how you can get those two mixed up but your symbolism still misses it's target. Anyone who still thinks we ride horses and hunt down indians while we sleep in our teepees eating canned beans around the ol' camp fire is an idiot and should be treated as such. Just because Sonic has it's HQ in OKC doesn't mean everyone eats it's fried and fatty foods.

4. Calf Fries Are Better Than Any Gourmet Food
Chocolate covered crickets? Frog legs? Please. All those other cities claiming to have bizarre foods have no idea what they’re up against in OKC. Have your New York friends who think they’re hardcore foodies swing by the state fair (or almost any bar in town) and order up a steaming plate of calf fries.
Then sit back and watch their eyes widen, because yup, those are deep fried bull testicles.
Not everyone is a fan, but anyone brave enough to try them just might find themselves a new favorite food. And there are plenty of fans—the annual Testical Festival has all the proof you need.

I for one have never placed one animal testicle in my mouth. The annual Tumbleweed Calf Fry that she mentions is in Stillwater, OK and not even in the same county as the metro.

5. There Ain’t No Party Like A Flaming Lips Party
The OKC-born band usually makes it back to their beloved hometown for New Year’s Eve celebrations to party like it’s 1999, and it’s never anything short of spectacular.
With their psychedelic music and outrageous stage props, The Flaming Lips are the craziest thing to come out of Oklahoma City since, well, forever. Born and raised right here in the city, the band even has a street named after them, Flaming Lips Alley.
Sure, not everyone is a fan of their tunes, but OKC loves anyone who loves them back so the band holds a special place in the city’s heart, and vice versa.

I love this front man's bigotry more than Pink Pony. //sarcasm

6. Kansas Has Nothing On OKC’s Twisters
Tornadoes are a way of life to the people in Oklahoma City despite the fact that the place most associated with the phenomenon is a whole other state. Thanks a lot, Dorothy.
OKC is in fact the seventh city most frequented by tornadoes in the whole country, so anyone from Oklahoma City has more than likely witnessed one at one point or another. The city won’t soon forget the El Reno twister in May 2013, the widest tornado in recorded history.
But no, they probably haven’t seen any flying cows.

These facts... just wrong.

7. Everyone In OKC Is Irish In March
There might be more actual Irish people in Boston or Chicago, but OKC locals know their home city’s St. Patty’s Day bash is just as epic as anywhere else.
First the parade with cars and floats decked out to the nines, then the free Bricktown Block Party with ALL the green beer, and top it all off with a cruise down the river. Now that’s how you celebrate being Irish. Or knowing someone who’s Irish.
This year OKC didn't even let Chi—Town get all the props for dyeing the water green. Even if it did end up cost OKC a pretty penny to fix...

This is proof you can read recent news articles online but have no clue as to actual history in this state.

8. Justifying OKC To Outsiders Is Exhausting
When anyone from OKC travels out of state, the most common thing they’ll find outsiders believe is that their home town is just one big ball of red dust rolling across flatlands.
Turns out Oklahoma City has these fancy things called “roads” and “buildings,” much to the disbelief of the rest of the country. The Skydance Bridge was recently named as one of the nation’s top 50 public arts projects. Whaaaat?
But if you mention it to anyone from out of state, all you'll get are blank stares. And it's not just the city itself that gets a bad rap...

"..one big ball of red dust rolling across flatlands." You are again confused with "ball" and "bowl" and what exactly a tumbleweed is.

9. OKC Is A Little Bit Country But A Lot Of Everything Else
Sure, country singers Garth Brooks and Toby Keith got their start in the Oklahoma City area. And they’re pretty cool and all, with their "CMA Awards" and "number one hits" and all. But there is so much more that comes out of OKC than just cowboy hats and a twangy guitar riff.
Funnywoman Megan Mullally, "The Newsroom"'s Olivia Munn, author Ralph Ellison, and oh, did I mention The Flaming Lips? All from OKC.
Convincing anyone out-of-state that OKC produces anything more than cowboys is as exhausting as convincing them the city is more than dust.

Megan Mullally is from LA not OKC. Oliva Munn was 2 when she moved out of Oklahoma. (That's like claiming Brad Pitt) While the Flaming Lips may be the only band from OKC proper, there are many famous talents from Oklahoma.

10. A Good Time In OKC Means You'll Have To Hit The Bricks
Taking a ride down the canal in a water taxi after an amazing dinner. Watching the Redhawks outslug the Sky Sox with a hot dog and a cold beer. Catching an up-and-coming band or taking a carriage ride after loading up at the candy shop.
The last time any Oklahoma City local did any of these favorite activities, they were no doubt in Bricktown, easily the city’s most popular destination for all entertainment.
All you have to tell someone from OKC that you’ll meet them at the Bricks and they’ll know exactly what you mean.

NO ONE has ever called it "The Bricks". She hypes on our Thunderdom and rips us on college/hs sports but doesn't even mention going to a Thunder game as an activity. Redhawks.. hate to say it, but they are on their way out. Candy shop?

Wish I could get paid to be an idiot blogger for a two bit website.

Richard at Remax
05-16-2014, 10:11 AM
If someone told me to meet them at the Bricks I'd cancel on them

kevinpate
05-16-2014, 11:11 AM
mmonroe ... start at turkey fries and work your way up the critter chain from there.

Achilleslastand
05-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Whats a "The bricks"?
Isnt is known as Chickasaw Ballpark now aka Cha-Chinga.

bchris02
05-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Anybody want to hit the bricks tonight for some calf fries?

This article is embarrassing but its nowhere near the worst I've seen. When I say embarrassing I mean I would be embarrassed to have written it.

OKCisOK4me
05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I'm not adding that into my Facebook feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swake
05-16-2014, 12:23 PM
So you're saying Oliva Munn didn't graduate from Putnam City North and OU? And Megan Mullaly didn't graduate from Casady?

Dennis Heaton
05-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Anybody want to hit the bricks tonight for some calf fries?

I thought they were called "lamb fries" in Oklahoma?

adaniel
05-16-2014, 12:31 PM
I think you all are entirely too sensitive.

A corny, buzz-feed like write up? Yeah, and she probably would have been better off saying Central OK rather than just OKC. And I have no idea where the irish thing came from. But nothing more. Chill out.

FWIW, Meghan Mullay was born in LA but grew up in OKC and graduated from Casady. She also danced in the OKC ballet. And in her very short lived daytime show she played up her Okie bigtime. No Thunder bridal wear, but I have seen plenty of Thunder summer dresses. And just try to schedule anything of importance during football season. Friends had a wedding the same weekend as OU Texas and literally NOBODY from their OK side came.

Stew
05-16-2014, 01:09 PM
I gotta admit I do like calf fries.

hoya
05-16-2014, 02:35 PM
I recently found out I went to school with Olivia Munn's older sister. I had never made the connection. And I love me some Tammy Swanson.

Tritone
05-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Does this mean that not everything I read on the intenet is true? Bonjour!

Plutonic Panda
05-18-2014, 04:46 AM
Does this mean that not everything I read on the intenet is true? Bonjour!
Correct. Everything on the Internet is not true, including this post. Paradox? ;)

kevinpate
05-18-2014, 06:44 AM

Well, there be turkey fries, lamb fries, calf fries, and of course, freedom fries.
As the candy bar jingle reminds us ... sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't.

RadicalModerate
05-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Well, there be turkey fries, lamb fries, calf fries, and of course, freedom fries.
As the candy bar jingle reminds us ... sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't.

. . . n' fish fries . . . n' shrimp fries . . . n' chicken fries . . . n' onion fries . . . n' Snickers fries . . . n' Mounds fries . . . n' Almond Joy fries . . . n' . . . . . . . . . . . "The Oil Business is very important to Oklahoma." ~Forest Dump, CEO Bubba Dump Oil Co.

Plutonic Panda
05-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Gator n fires?

RadicalModerate
05-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Gator n fires?

'Round these hyar parts we calls 'em gator fries . . ."
http://i1.ytimg.com/sh/yELKQ-h77VQ/showposter.jpg?v=51ffc93d
"Mebbe you Yankees up thar' in Oklahoma calls 'em dat . . . n' dat's OK, too."

Roger S
05-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Maybe it's because I spent my first 10 formative years in Kansas but I still call them Rocky Mountain Oysters.

ylouder
05-18-2014, 10:13 AM
A corny, buzz-feed like write up? Yeah, and she probably would have been better off saying Central OK rather than just OKC. And I have no idea where the irish thing came from. But nothing more. Chill out.

Ditto. Most of these buzz feed type things are only designed to draw a click for their advertiser. 10 ways you knew you grew up in the 90's, 10 ways you know your an introvert, 10 ways you know your a (insert your team here).

Plutonic Panda
05-18-2014, 12:04 PM
'Round these hyar parts we calls 'em gator fries . . ."
"Mebbe you Yankees up thar' in Oklahoma calls 'em dat . . . n' dat's OK, too."that was a grammatical error on my part. :p

RadicalModerate
05-18-2014, 12:09 PM
"It takes a mighty big pot whip up a batch o' gator fries . . ."
" . . . n' somethin' might big t' cook 'em in, too. Ay-eeeeeee!"

Plutonic Panda
05-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Well, I loooooove me some alligator, although I've only had it at Trappers, Pearls, and Pappadueax

Snowman
05-18-2014, 09:58 PM
1. The Sound Of Trumpets Means Things Are Gonna Get Crazy Oklahoma Understand
It’s a day that ends in the letter “y.” And you know what that means! That’s right. Someone, somewhere in Oklahoma City is playing the “Boomer Sooner” fight song right now.

I could see some of the perception behind this one could be partially traced back to KOMA playing the OU's band version of Oklahoma at 5:00 pm every workday for decades, which the DJ who started doing that said in an interview it had nothing to do with the team, they started playing that when the mood around the state and it's future was getting low (probably after one of the oil busts), they wanted to do something to try and keep a positive association with so they played the most energetic version they had of the song at the time most people got off work, which they continued doing longer than I have been alive.

Though with custom ringtones and alerts on cell phones now, I would not be shocked if if most university football and basketball teams with a lot of tradition could have the fight songs playing frequently throughout the day, especially at the beginning of the season/post-season.