View Full Version : Most common language in each state, excepting English and Spanish

Pete
05-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Interesting:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bnhgs0JIEAE9gJm.jpg:large

Dave Cook
05-14-2014, 08:27 AM
I thought this was pretty cool. I was really surprised by all the German answers. People still speak German in the USA?

The Vietnamese thing is pretty neat. I was really surprised a couple of years ago on a Vietnam Airways flight when I opened up the inflight magazine and noticed an advert talking about the cities in the USA that they provided connections with their partners or something or other (it couldn't have been direct service). Anyway, the cities they listed were New York City, Los Angeles, Houston, San Francisco and Oklahoma City. Surprised to see OKC listed with those others. Gives you an idea of just how big the Vietnamese community is in OKC.

kelroy55
05-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Lots of German speaking folk in SE Nebraska and lots of folk in Nebraska still speak Chech as well.

Pete
05-14-2014, 08:43 AM
Even living in California I was surprised to see Tagalog as the #3 language.

Lots of Filipinos here but also tons of people from everywhere else. It makes more sense in Utah due to the outreach in that country by the Mormon church.

AP
05-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Where did the numbers/data come from? I'd like to look at it.

kevinpate
05-14-2014, 05:22 PM
I thought this was pretty cool. I was really surprised by all the German answers. People still speak German in the USA?

The Vietnamese thing is pretty neat. I was really surprised a couple of years ago on a Vietnam Airways flight when I opened up the inflight magazine and noticed an advert talking about the cities in the USA that they provided connections with their partners or something or other (it couldn't have been direct service). Anyway, the cities they listed were New York City, Los Angeles, Houston, San Francisco and Oklahoma City. Surprised to see OKC listed with those others. Gives you an idea of just how big the Vietnamese community is in OKC.

Not a big surprise for those who were raised up not far from Ft. Chaffee in Ft. Smth AR. Some 50,000 plus Vietnamese refugees came into the central U.S. through that base back in the mid 70's.

CuatrodeMayo
05-14-2014, 05:27 PM
This is what I expected to see for Oklahoma.

catch22
05-14-2014, 06:03 PM
I have a friend in Chicago who is very fluent in Polish, and has lived his whole life in Chicago.

Pete
05-14-2014, 07:00 PM
I have a friend in Chicago who is very fluent in Polish, and has lived his whole life in Chicago.

I was born in Milwaukee and my dad was 100% Polish, yet his family dropped the language and culture ASAP (apart from Catholicism) because of discrimination.

In fact, when reviewing my family tree I found that a good percentage of my relatives changed their names along the way... Suchomski because Summers, etc.

I'm really glad my branch kept their last name and really wish I had learned some of the language and customs. I still very much want to visit Poland at some point.

Pete
05-14-2014, 07:00 PM

I was born in Milwaukee and my dad was 100% Polish, yet his family dropped the language and culture ASAP (apart from Catholicism) because of discrimination.

In fact, when reviewing my family tree I found that a good percentage of my relatives changed their names along the way... Suchomski because Summers, etc.

I'm really glad my branch kept their last name and really wish I had learned some of the language and customs. I still very much want to visit Poland at some point.

Polish is a relatively soft and pretty language, too.

OKCisOK4me
05-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Well, now we know where the Russians will invade us at...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawnw
05-15-2014, 08:22 AM
I was very surprised by the Russian. Most of the rest made sense. I am surprised there's not more Czech on that map (or any).

Urbanized
05-18-2014, 12:07 PM
LOL @ Dakota. Translation: not very many outsiders - even those of European heritage - have moved here, ever.

Jeepnokc
05-18-2014, 04:28 PM
I was very surprised by the Russian. Most of the rest made sense. I am surprised there's not more Czech on that map (or any).

I would have never thought Oregon was the hot bed for Russians. May have to check out Portland to see if any good Russian restaurants for some pelminis and stroganoff

Prunepicker
05-18-2014, 08:42 PM
I've been wanting to learn Vietnamese. I know more Korean than any
other Asian language. I'm far more fluent in French, Spanish and Russian.
Fluent meaning able to carry a conversation.

Is Tagalog a Polynesian language?

Prunepicker
05-18-2014, 08:45 PM
I would have never thought Oregon was the hot bed for Russians...
Neither would I. Odd that I have several friends in OKC who speak Russian.

Prunepicker
05-18-2014, 08:51 PM
... In fact, when reviewing my family tree I found that a good percentage of
my relatives changed their names along the way... Suchomski because
Summers, etc.
Did that happen at Ellis Island? I have some relatives who were of Polish
descent and changed their name to Block instead of Blocovich. They were
very good wine producers.

I'm really glad my branch kept their last name and really wish I had learned
some of the language and customs. I still very much want to visit Poland
at some point.
Culture is very important. Our relatives should teach us our heritage.

Polish is a relatively soft and pretty language, too.
Many of them speak Russian. I met a cashier at Wal-Mart and we had
a fascinating conversation.

Jeepnokc
05-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Neither would I. Odd that I have several friends in OKC who speak Russian.

I do not have any numbers but there is a small Russian community here.. We have attended several orthodox Christmas parties. I have 3 Russian-American kids (Russian birth-adopted and became US citizens when the touched the blessed soil at JFK in New York). Our friend had married a Russian girl shortly before and we were surprised a the number of Russian children in OK with US adoptive parents and also the number of Russian families in the larger metro area.

LocoAko
05-18-2014, 11:05 PM
I've been wanting to learn Vietnamese. I know more Korean than any
other Asian language. I'm far more fluent in French, Spanish and Russian.
Fluent meaning able to carry a conversation.

Is Tagalog a Polynesian language?

Tagalog is spoken in the Philippines. (My screen name means "I'm crazy" in Tagalog... don't ask, it's a long story).

Prunepicker
05-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Tagalog is spoken in the Philippines. (My screen name means "I'm crazy" in
Tagalog... don't ask, it's a long story).
Cool. I'm glad you're crazy, it gives me an out.

At any rate, I'm all about learning the language of my friends. There are
too many who won't try to learn a different language.

So sad.

shawnw
05-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Do I understand correctly that tagalog is a mesh between the original Filipino language and Spanish due to hundreds of years as a spanish colony?

Dave Cook
05-19-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure if most Oklahomans really appreciate how great the Vietnamese community is in Oklahoma City. The food served here is outstanding....and very authentic to what you might find on the streets of HCMC. It's no contest compared to how unauthentic the Japanese cuisine is here.

I spent TET a few years ago in Qui Nhon and ended up a dinner party with a lot of locals. I started making small talk with an older woman in the group and she was actually visiting from Tulsa. Apparently her family owned several manicure shops in OKC and Tulsa. Small world.

Zuplar
05-19-2014, 01:21 PM
The other maps for those interested: