View Full Version : Cheap Cell Phone

ctchandler
05-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I have had a Sprint account since 1992 and it is cheap. I pay $30 per month. But cheap is relative, I haven't made a call in over three months so that's $90 for nothing. Just like lighting a match to $90. I don't have texting and have no interest in typing on a phone, that's what my computer is for. My phone has a camera that has never been used, that's what my digital camera is for. I'm retired and on a fixed income but I feel I need something in case of emergency when I am in my car. My friend in London has a phone that she bought and only pays per call and she hasn't called anyone in almost a year and it cost her nothing. In my case, I would save over $350 per year. I'm not poor, I just have decided it's time to find an alternative. Any suggestions?
C. T.

dmoor82
05-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Tracfone has a touchscreen phone with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, video camera, camera and internet for only 90$ and comes with 1450 minutes and is triple minutes for life! you pay as you go, that's why I have it, I only use 50-100 minutes/ month and I love it! Dollar General has it and it comes with a car charger, micro sd card and sim!

dmoor82
05-12-2014, 06:35 PM
BTW ctchandler, after your initial purchase those 1450 minutes based on how much you use it would last you years! After it is used up you just add a 20$ card to it and it triples and you have months more talk time for just that 20$!

ctchandler
05-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Dmoor82,
Thank you very much. I think I have heard enough and this thread can be closed. I'm tied up tomorrow, but in the next few days I will purchase a Tracfone and cancel my Sprint contract.
C. T.

zookeeper
05-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Another possibility for you, C.T., is the T-Mobile Pay-As-You-Go program that gives you 1000 minutes for $100.00 and one year of service. No remembering to buy a card to keep the service on, etc. simple plan is here (http://www.t-mobile.com/promotions/genericregular.aspx?passet=pro_pro_goldrewards) .. Just go down to the last selection.

There are super cheap, no-frills phones that just make calls and the occasional text if necessary -- imagine that! -- a phone that just makes phone calls! A different world.

Actually, Walmart has a Samsung T139 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/14053386?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227010283891&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42110562190&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34877171230&veh=sem) (which has a camera - but they all do and all the "extra stuff" is out of the way). As no-frills as they come. $19.88.

Good luck! I understand your frustration with "phones" that do everything but make breakfast (and some of them spit out eggs and toast every morning - okay, not really).

stick47
05-12-2014, 08:03 PM
My wife had this plan for 3 years and I helped a handicapped neighbor sign up on it also. It's the cheapest of any we found. After your initial year runs out you can pay only $10 to get another year of service & carry a portion of your minutes forward so the 2nd year and on is where the savings really add up.

ctchandler
05-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Zookeeper,
Dang, you make it difficult. This sounds good too. But, I'm glad to hear the options. Funny thing, my last phone from Sprint (free, by the way) I told them I didn't want a camera phone. Unfortunately, they don't offer a phone without a camera anymore.
Thanks for the tip.
C. T.
Another possibility for you, C.T., is the T-Mobile Pay-As-You-Go program that gives you 1000 minutes for $100.00 and one year of service. No remembering to buy a card to keep the service on, etc. simple plan is here (http://www.t-mobile.com/promotions/genericregular.aspx?passet=pro_pro_goldrewards) .. Just go down to the last selection.

There are super cheap, no-frills phones that just make calls and the occasional text if necessary -- imagine that! -- a phone that just makes phone calls! A different world.

Actually, Walmart has a Samsung T139 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/14053386?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227010283891&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42110562190&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34877171230&veh=sem) (which has a camera - but they all do and all the "extra stuff" is out of the way). As no-frills as they come. $19.88.

Good luck! I understand your frustration with "phones" that do everything but make breakfast (and some of them spit out eggs and toast every morning - okay, not really).

Prunepicker
05-12-2014, 08:22 PM
CT,
I'd believe a TracPhone, or something similar, is in order. You can keep your
phone number and pay a set amount per month. You've definitely paid
your dues to the money grubbing government and deserve to have most,
yes I said most, of it returned to you. Don't think of this as a handout.
Think of it as getting your money back.

Here's an article that may help.

Free government cell phone ? USATODAY.com (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/story/2012-06-01/low-income-lifeline-plan/55315532/1)

ctchandler
05-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Prunepicker,
Don't know what I deserve, but I have good news/bad news, bad news is, I make too much money to qualify, the good news is, I make too much money to qualify. Actually, I'm not rich or poor, just tired of blowing $30 per month on something I don't use. But I need it for emergencies. Since I live alone I could be on the side of a road for several days before anybody noticed. My boys are good but we don't talk daily. Thanks for the link though. I do have some options that will be a lot cheaper.
C. T.
CT,
I'd believe a TracPhone, or something similar, is in order. You can keep your
phone number and pay a set amount per month. You've definitely paid
your dues to the money grubbing government and deserve to have most,
yes I said most, of it returned to you. Don't think of this as a handout.
Think of it as getting your money back.

Here's an article that may help.

Free government cell phone ? USATODAY.com (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/story/2012-06-01/low-income-lifeline-plan/55315532/1)

Dennis Heaton
05-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Can't beat $1.00/mo with TerraCom Wireless, Text and Calling, 1,000 minutes per month...if you qualify.

SSEiYah
05-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Page Plus is one of the only MVNO that use verizon's CMDA network. $10 for 100 minutes which are good for 3 months.

zookeeper
05-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Page Plus is one of the only MVNO that use verizon's CMDA network. $10 for 100 minutes which are good for 3 months.

It's this "good for 3 months" junk that upsets a lot of people. Why keep people making sure their phones are "topped up" four times a year? At least T-Mobile and Tracfone both have reasonable options for X number of minutes (plenty) for a year. Those like C.T. don't want to be messing with "topping up" and counting minutes and watching for approaching expiration dates, just to make a few phone calls.

PhiAlpha
05-14-2014, 02:41 PM
You could find a cheap phone like this lady?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio&app=desktop

TheTravellers
05-15-2014, 01:50 PM
It's this "good for 3 months" junk that upsets a lot of people. Why keep people making sure their phones are "topped up" four times a year? At least T-Mobile and Tracfone both have reasonable options for X number of minutes (plenty) for a year. Those like C.T. don't want to be messing with "topping up" and counting minutes and watching for approaching expiration dates, just to make a few phone calls.

Yep, agreed, wife has T-Mobile pay-as-you-go plan, does $100 once per year, writes down the date on the calendar and if she doesn't use up the minutes during the year, tops it up about a week before the due date. Likes it a lot, pretty basic LG flip phone, all she needs for now...

Prunepicker
05-15-2014, 09:19 PM
I've often thought about getting a no-frills cell phone. With the amount
of free wi-fi available it may be a good idea. I can use my iPhone as an
iTouch. Hey, I'm paying about $80 per month for a phone. 90% of my
calls are business related. I have never had more than 100 minutes
of talk. In fact I've currently got over 15,000 roll over minutes. I average
about 30 texts per month, including that Apple talk thing that's free.
I don't download anything unless I'm at home and using wi-fi.

Being connected isn't important to me but I do like the idea of instant
information. Still, does it honestly warrant $80 per month?