View Full Version : Best Cities to Start a Business, OKC #1

KenRagsdale
05-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Best cities to start a business| Latest News Videos | Fox Business (http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/3559937709001/best-cities-to-start-a-business/?playlist_id=937116525001#sp=show-clips&v=3559937709001)

OKVision4U
05-12-2014, 02:27 PM
The City of OKC needs to take a Full-page ad out in the Wall Street Journal / USA Today / NY Times / LA Times / Chicago Tribune...

OKC is where your Next Investment should be.

... hello Mr. Mayor ?!?

SOONER8693
05-12-2014, 06:39 PM
This has got to be a mistake. OKC could not be ranked ahead of Charlotte, Seattle, or Cleveland. chuckle, chuckle

Bellaboo
05-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Or Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston or Tulsa.

mugofbeer
05-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Or Biloxi, Birmingham or Bixby

Mississippi Blues
05-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Don't y'all forget Little Rock, now.

bchris02
05-12-2014, 11:04 PM
What about Jacksonville, Nashville, Knoxville, Wichita, or Omaha? How about Des Moines, Kansas City, Denver, or Albuqurque?

ljbab728
05-12-2014, 11:21 PM
This is a good example of what was mentioned in the Fox report explaining why OKC is ranked so high.

i2E closes first GrowOK Fund investment with $1 million placement in Oklahoma City-based Monscierge | News OK (http://newsok.com/i2e-closes-first-growok-fund-investment-with-1-million-placement-in-oklahoma-city-based-monscierge/article/4755918)

onthestrip
05-13-2014, 08:38 AM
It should also say that although its a good place to start a biz, just dont get too big too quick because you will find a lack of educated talent.

HangryHippo
05-13-2014, 01:11 PM
It should also say that although its a good place to start a biz, just dont get too big too quick because you will find a lack of educated talent.

Just as we were starting to feel good about OKC... Nice.

PhiAlpha
05-13-2014, 03:16 PM

Energy companies don't seem to be having much of an issue finding educated talent here.

onthestrip
05-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Energy companies don't seem to be having much of an issue finding educated talent here.

Because they are paying well enough to bring in talent from other states. New startups that arent fortune 500 companies that are looking to grow, a little more difficult to bring in talent from other states.

bchris02
05-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Because they are paying well enough to bring in talent from other states. New startups that arent fortune 500 companies that are looking to grow, a little more difficult to bring in talent from other states.

Agree with this.

A lot of civic boosters in this board don't realize how negatively OKC is viewed by people out of state. This has to be a place that welcomes diversity and also a place that people WANT to live, even if they didn't grow up here. Energy companies pay people enough money to make them consider it. Smaller companies can't afford to do that, so they go to places like DFW or Austin where they have a much larger talent pool. Right now, this city has a long way to go and I don't see it ever getting there as long as the current crop of geniuses are running the state government.

Pete
05-17-2014, 11:44 AM

Absolute baloney.

The largest private employers in OKC are all home-grown and have grown wildly in the last few years. And a huge percent of their talent is from the state.

Pete
05-17-2014, 11:46 AM

Virtually every large private employer in OKC was a start-up not that long ago.

KenRagsdale
05-17-2014, 01:23 PM
We're attracting lots of young, qualified employees, hired by large businesses, at this time. What we're sorely lacking are young, qualified entrepreneurs.

rlewis
05-17-2014, 03:01 PM
I've hired scores of employees over the last several years, and I can honestly say from my perspective that the quality of the workforce locally has improved by leaps and bounds. It was hard to find qualified candidates 7 years ago when I first moved here, and nowadays I find that I have to pass on candidates that I would have snapped up years ago.

Also I would add that about 20% of the resumes that I have read through in recent years are from people that have either moved here from somewhere else or want to move here from somewhere else.

Pete
05-17-2014, 03:16 PM
The reason there are more good candidates is because there are more good jobs... They feed off one another.

In the 90's and well into the 00's there was substantial brain drain because it was hard to find a good job and not a lot of opportunity for career growth.

That has changed, so we now not only have a ton of college grads staying (or moving here), we also have people with experience who have stayed for the same reasons.

PhiAlpha
05-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Agree with this.

A lot of civic boosters in this board don't realize how negatively OKC is viewed by people out of state. This has to be a place that welcomes diversity and also a place that people WANT to live, even if they didn't grow up here. Energy companies pay people enough money to make them consider it. Smaller companies can't afford to do that, so they go to places like DFW or Austin where they have a much larger talent pool. Right now, this city has a long way to go and I don't see it ever getting there as long as the current crop of geniuses are running the state government.

Man you're right, we should all get the hell out of here as quick as we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dankrutka
05-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Agree with this.

You realize this is good news, right? OKC has some issues to deal with it, but not every thread has to dismiss good news with generally unrelated negatives. Just sayin'...

If I have learned anything from living in Kansas and travelling a bit, it's that a lot of states have stupid laws and terrible legislators. People on this board seem to think these issues are exclusive to Oklahoma or OKC. They're not. We just don't pay attention to those other states and cities as closely. OKC has tremendous momentum right now. Don't lose perspective on how quickly the city is growing right now. The transformation over the last 20 years has been absolutely unbelievable.

betts
05-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Agree with this.

That's a rather global statement. All people? All states? People who matter or just uninformed, provincial people who rarely cross state lines? No one moves here from other places or states? We are unable to attract smaller companies as a whole?

I moved here from Denver, as did my husband. He grew up in NYC. I think you might consider using the words "some" and "sometimes".

PhiAlpha
05-17-2014, 07:28 PM
You realize this is good news, right? OKC has some issues to deal with it, but not every thread has to dismiss good news with generally unrelated negatives. Just sayin'...

If I have learned anything from living in Kansas and travelling a bit, it's that a lot of states have stupid laws and terrible legislators. People on this board seem to think these issues are exclusive to Oklahoma or OKC. They're not. We just don't pay attention to those other states and cities as closely. OKC has tremendous momentum right now. Don't lose perspective on how quickly the city is growing right now. The transformation over the last 20 years has been absolutely unbelievable.

BChris has already admitted to giving "up all hope on this city and state" so your words may be lost on him.

Pete
05-17-2014, 07:36 PM
The state legislators in Texas are every bit as loony and that hasn't exactly hampered Austin, Houston & Dallas.

bchris02
05-17-2014, 10:53 PM
BChris has already admitted to giving "up all hope on this city and state" so your words may be lost on him.

I was angry about the state politics when I posted that and was a bit irrational. I realize Oklahoma doesn't have a monopoly on stupid in the state government. It does however seem like they have more universal power and support here than most other states. Texas has a lot of legislators just as crazy as many of Oklahoma's, but their power and influence is a bit more diluted down there and they have a liberal voice, something Oklahoma currently lacks. I just hate to see the stupidity at 23rd and Lincoln negatively affect OKC and its current momentum.

dankrutka
05-18-2014, 01:58 AM
How do you know Oklahoma's legislature has more "universal power?" Have you studied the power and affects of other state legislatures? As has been pointed out, consider limiting your statements to what you actually know and using a vocabulary that's a bit more nuanced. It will serve you well.

Plutonic Panda
05-18-2014, 02:53 AM
The state legislators in Texas are every bit as loony and that hasn't exactly hampered Austin, Houston & Dallas.
Have they passed any bills banning cities from doing things they've passed... Such as minimum wage and our abandoned property act?

PWitty
05-19-2014, 07:24 AM

This.