View Full Version : Dog-breed bans ruled illegal

Patrick
08-16-2005, 11:38 AM
No use in discussing the banning of pitt bulls anymore. The state attorney general rules that dog breed bans are illegal.

I think that's a decent ruling.

-----------------
"Dog-breed bans ruled illegal

By John Greiner
The Oklahoman

Cities and towns cannot ban specific dog breeds, the state attorney general said in an opinion requested by a legislator who wants to ban pit bulls.
"Current state law, as passed by the Legislature, clearly prohibits breed-specific bans," Attorney General Drew Edmondson said. "This language was written into state law in Senate Bill 87 during the 1991 session."

Edmondson's opinion was in response to a request by Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore, who want state legislation to prohibit pit bulls.

Wesselhoft decided to push for a law after a 3-year-old Moore boy had his left arm amputated after a June 12 attack by a pit bull terrier.

Edmondson's opinion said state law allows cities and towns to regulate potentially dangerous or dangerous dogs but cannot regulate a specific breed.

"The fact the attorney general has ruled in this manner makes it more imperative that my bill become the new law," Wesselhoft said upon being informed of the opinion."

mranderson
08-16-2005, 11:47 AM
I just hope this stops that Rep from passing a bad bill.