View Full Version : Book Recommendations on Urbanism?

soonerliberal
05-12-2014, 04:20 AM
What are some good book recommendations for learning more about the new urbanist movement and new urbanist perspectives on planning?

Urbanized
05-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Every introduction to urbanism should start with the seminal book on the subject; The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs (http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Death_and_Life_of_Great_American_Cit.html?id=P _bPTgOoBYkC). It's 50 years old now, but provided the blueprint and was the first to recognize in print the fundamental principles of sidewalk life and "eyes on the street." Every book on urbanism since owes its existence to Jacobs' book.

Also - and I'm not sure everyone agrees with me - I am troubled by the categorizing of anything relating to urbanism today as "New Urbanism." In my opinion there is "New Urbanism" and "urbanism." and they are two different things. New Urbanism is a movement that to me is fairly contrived. It usually involves from-scratch new construction in a controlled environment. New Urbanism can happen anywhere, including an undeveloped field. It can be extremely well-done, but can also feel like a fake; a movie set. URBANISM can and should involve the stabilization and revitalization of existing urban environments, both with new construction AND renovation of existing structures where it makes sense, and the application of good urban planning principles to those buildings and to the connected streets and sidewalks. Personally, I don't think of myself as a "New Urbanist."

zookeeper
05-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Every introduction to urbanism should start with the seminal book on the subject; The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs (http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Death_and_Life_of_Great_American_Cit.html?id=P _bPTgOoBYkC). It's 50 years old now, but provided the blueprint and was the first to recognize in print the fundamental principles of sidewalk life and "eyes on the street." Every book on urbanism since owes its existence to Jacobs' book.

Also - and I'm not sure everyone agrees with me - I am troubled by the categorizing of anything relating to urbanism today as "New Urbanism." In my opinion there is "New Urbanism" and "urbanism." and they are two different things. New Urbanism is a movement that to me is fairly contrived. It usually involves from-scratch new construction in a controlled environment. New Urbanism can happen anywhere, including an undeveloped field. It can be extremely well-done, but can also feel like a fake; a movie set. URBANISM can and should involve the stabilization and revitalization of existing urban environments, both with new construction AND renovation of existing structures where it makes sense, and the application of good urban planning principles to those buildings and to the connected streets and sidewalks. Personally, I don't think of myself as a "New Urbanist."

Good recommendation on the book. You have an interesting take on New Urbanism, that I've obviously heard before, but I am a little more accepting. If there are going to be new suburbs and old suburbs that sprawl, building them from a New Urbanist perspective is better than endless tract housing and sprawling, disconnected neighborhoods. Sometimes they turn out very much like small rural towns which still have thriving Main Streets which provide opportunities very similar to the urban ideal (not in a social/cultural scene sense - but in layout, community, and walkability.)

Urbanized
05-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Oh, I wouldn't disagree at all. I love the idea of New Urbanism. I absolutely agree that New Urbanism is smart planning for the suburbs and elsewhere. I would definitely consider living in a New Urbanist community, and would likely greatly enjoy it. Certainly not all of them (or probably even most of them) feel as contrived as some of the ones I am thinking of.

I'm just saying that what interests me most is bringing back historically urban areas, such as what is going on in downtown OKC, and I wouldn't really categorize that as New Urbanism.

zookeeper
05-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Oh, I wouldn't disagree at all. I love the idea of New Urbanism. I absolutely agree that New Urbanism is smart planning for the suburbs and elsewhere. I would definitely consider living in a New Urbanist community, and would likely greatly enjoy it. Certainly not all of them (or probably even most of them) feel as contrived as some of the ones I am thinking of.

I'm just saying that what interests me most is bringing back historically urban areas, such as what is going on in downtown OKC, and I wouldn't really categorize that as New Urbanism.

Oh, okay. I think I misunderstood. I would agree with your last sentence about that's happening downtown not being "new urbanist."

adaniel
05-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Read Suburban Nation by Andres Duany. I bought it a few years ago because I was flying to Hawaii and was needing something to keep me on a long layover. I am not exaggerating one bit when I say it completely changed my view on urbanism.

Just the facts
05-19-2014, 07:41 AM
As mush as I would like to get sidetracked into the 'urbanism-new urbansim' debate, I'm not going to (other than a single comment at the bottom).

Life and Death of the Great American City is a good book but I wouldn't start there. 4 chapters on the importance of sidewalks is a bit overwhelming for the beginner and Jane could have learned to hit the carriage return key a little more often.

I would start with the following:

Charter for the New Urbanism - I have a PDF copy I would be glad to email anyone, just PM me with an email address to send it to.
Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream
The Geography of Nowhere
Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America One Step at a Time

There are also several documentaries and videos available for those who don't like to read. I posted a lot of them in the New Urbanism Library thread. My favorite is the documentary "Urbanized" but I had to watch it like 5 times to fully appreciate it.

http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic-issues/33058-new-urbanism-library.html

Finally, the difference between 'urbanism' and 'new urbanism' is just 3 things; the advent of the automobile as the primary mode of transportation, competition between suburbs and central cities for jobs, and zoning laws. Old urbanism was developed in a world where those 3 things didn't exist.

AP
05-19-2014, 08:05 AM
My favorite is the documentary "Urbanized" but I had to watch it like 5 times to fully appreciate it.

I rewatched it last night. It's so great.

Urbanized
05-19-2014, 09:19 AM
As mush as I would like to get sidetracked into the 'urbanism-new urbansim' debate, I'm not going to (other than a single comment at the bottom)...

...Finally, the difference between 'urbanism' and 'new urbanism' is just 3 things; the advent of the automobile as the primary mode of transportation, competition between suburbs and central cities for jobs, and zoning laws. Old urbanism was developed in a world where those 3 things didn't exist.

I'll bite. There is no room in your definitions between the creation of new urban environments like Celebration, Florida (and other New Urbanist projects) versus the stabilization and reclamation of longstanding urban environments. These are two different disciplines, albeit with common goals and principles. Downtown OKC is an example of the latter. The closest thing Oklahoma has to the former is Carlton Landing at Lake Eufuala, though there is opportunity for quality New Urbanism throughout metro OKC.

Just the facts
05-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Celebration, FL and Oklahoma City are the exact same thing. Their only difference is 110 years between founding and the fact that Celebration has to accommodate the automobile on day one, has to compete with surrounding cities for jobs on day one, and has state zoning laws to contend with on day one. In 1889 OKC was greenfield development (in fact, it might have been the ultimate greenfield development). Granted there is a lot of sprawl that either has to be retrofitted or abandoned - but that is not old urbanism or new urbanism. BTW - most new urbanist like myself don't care for suburban town centers surrounded by 5,000 surface parking lots which is why the LEED neighborhood certification was developed. What good is a LEED Platinum office park if every person drives a car to get there?

Urbanized
05-19-2014, 09:27 AM
You're missing my point, but it's not worth arguing over.

Just the facts
05-19-2014, 09:34 AM
You're missing my point, but it's not worth arguing over.

Maybe I did. Anyhow, if someone wants to start a thread on that it would be an interesting discussion.

boitoirich
05-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Nathan Lewis of New World Economics needs to write a book on urbanism immediately.

Plutonic Panda
05-21-2014, 02:40 PM
As mush as I would like to get sidetracked into the 'urbanism-new urbansim' debate, I'm not going to (other than a single comment at the bottom).

Life and Death of the Great American City is a good book but I wouldn't start there. 4 chapters on the importance of sidewalks is a bit overwhelming for the beginner and Jane could have learned to hit the carriage return key a little more often.

I would start with the following:

Charter for the New Urbanism - I have a PDF copy I would be glad to email anyone, just PM me with an email address to send it to.
Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream
The Geography of Nowhere
Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America One Step at a Time

There are also several documentaries and videos available for those who don't like to read. I posted a lot of them in the New Urbanism Library thread. My favorite is the documentary "Urbanized" but I had to watch it like 5 times to fully appreciate it.

http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic-issues/33058-new-urbanism-library.html

Finally, the difference between 'urbanism' and 'new urbanism' is just 3 things; the advent of the automobile as the primary mode of transportation, competition between suburbs and central cities for jobs, and zoning laws. Old urbanism was developed in a world where those 3 things didn't exist.Wow.. .I don't know how I missed this thread. I actually sent you a PM, but I don't think you got it. Anyhow, thanks for the list and I am going to check those out.

Just the facts
05-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Wow.. .I don't know how I missed this thread. I actually sent you a PM, but I don't think you got it. Anyhow, thanks for the list and I am going to check those out.

I got it but I was on vacation and didn't have access to anything other than Facebook itself, and even that was only for 3 hours. Somewhere I had a whole list of resources for you but now I can't find it. I'll keep looking and post it when I find it.

Plutonic Panda
05-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Oh, cool man! I'd love to check those out.