View Full Version : "Selling" OKC to someone from...

Celebrator
05-08-2014, 12:59 AM
I have a friend coming in from D.C. this weekend who is very interested and open to moving here from our nation's capital. Since he and his wife have already embraced the idea, it isn't a hard sell, but what VERY SPECIFIC things might someone use to sell a Washingtonian as advantages of OKC in order to draw a distinct positive contrast between the cities. If you are very familiar with living in D.C., jump in and help me with some talking points that will hit home with someone looking to leave the District.

While I will not whitewash the areas that OKC falls far short of in comparison to a world-class city like Washington, D.C., I want to present the positives to help reassure them this would be a good move.

And maybe this thread will fill up with points/reasons others can use with folks looking to transplant from other cities. (Except Charlotte because such points/reasons apparently do not exist.)

I know this kind of sounds like a City Data thread, but we'll do it classy here!

LandRunOkie
05-08-2014, 02:50 AM
One positive is that if you have an education, you'll develop an instant superiority complex. Access to college is remarkably low here because this state continues to favor tax cuts over higher ed funding. Also if you run a business that depends on cheap labor, you'll find plenty of that here. Most voters are happy to do the bidding of their capitalist overlords disguised as individuals of piety and integrity. In other words, we'll be keeping the minimum wage at a minimum here! If you like to drive, we have a lot of roads, that's pretty cool I guess.

dcsooner
05-08-2014, 04:34 AM
I have a friend coming in from D.C. this weekend who is very interested and open to moving here from our nation's capital. Since he and his wife have already embraced the idea, it isn't a hard sell, but what VERY SPECIFIC things might someone use to sell a Washingtonian as advantages of OKC in order to draw a distinct positive contrast between the cities. If you are very familiar with living in D.C., jump in and help me with some talking points that will hit home with someone looking to leave the District.

While I will not whitewash the areas that OKC falls far short of in comparison to a world-class city like Washington, D.C., I want to present the positives to help reassure them this would be a good move.

And maybe this thread will fill up with points/reasons others can use with folks looking to transplant from other cities. (Except Charlotte because such points/reasons apparently do not exist.)

I know this kind of sounds like a City Data thread, but we'll do it classy here!

That is very hard to do. Very different cities and regions. Your friends will need a bit of a wildcatter personality willing to explore a vey different lifestyle and pace. Really an unfair question as D C is of course a world class city. After living in DC for 17 years, I believe OKC can be sold on these points only. Spend more time living than driving, less snow, growing millenial class, entertainment, dining and lifestyle options.

bchris02
05-08-2014, 06:32 AM
It all depends on what they are looking to gain and what they are willing to sacrifice by making the move. Selling OKC on urban or cultural amenities isn't going to work nor is it honest. DC is a world-class city with almost every cultural and entertainment option you can imagine. If they are open to the possibility of living in a small city on the wide open prairie that has a low cost of living, low unemployment, and a close-knit, family oriented culture, then it shouldn't be a hard sell. If, on the other hand, they are wondering if they could possible "do" Oklahoma and are nervous about the quality of life sacrifices they will have to make, then it may be more difficult. They are definitely making the right choice by visiting prior to making a decision.

adaniel
05-08-2014, 10:14 AM

There are the obvious reasons for relocating. Less traffic, less crowded in general, much more relaxed populace, and a MUCH lower cost of living.

A tour downtown and of the intown hoods (Mesta Park, Crown Heights, etc.) is a must. Also take them to one of the restaraunts, maybe in Auto Alley or along 23rd. Going to get lit up for saying this, but outside of the great ethnic choices and seafood, I found most food on the east coast to be suprisingly bland. Like, do they not believe in seasoning out there?

If they come in the summer, take them to one of the weekend outdoor festivals. H&8th, Live on the Plaza, etc. IMO these are the most tangible events that have emerged in the "New OKC."

This isn't specific, but I will say now that I have relocated to a much larger area myself. On paper, the area I live in has so much more to do than OKC. And yet, I don't feel like a lot of this stuff is very accessible to me because traffic stinks on the weekdays, on the weekends you have a very limited amount of time, and its usually expensive and/or crowded. In OKC, I notice a lot more suburbanites frequent downtown because it isn't such a hassle in getting there for most of the metro. Not so much here, and I bet it is similar in DC. I'm not sure how you would show this though.

It sounds like your friends are open to moving here, but I would offer some caution. IMO people who move to OKC from the East Coast have a more difficult time adjusting. It is a different world once you cross the Mississippi going west. DC is a wonderful city, but it is very fast paced and with so many ambitious smart people in one place it can be a little cut throat culturally. Some people live off that and are more than willing to pay the price.

PennyQuilts
05-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Having lived in the DC area for ten years before moving back home, where to start:

1 - Traffic is so, so, so much better here. Traffic is just traffic - it isn't how you plan your day, nor does it control your schedule.
2 - You can get anything, within reason, here that you can get there. By that I mean the chain stores/franchises/etc. here aren't that different than the ones there.
3 - Thunder
4 - Cost of living and lower housing means you can get much more bang for your buck and don't have to live so far away that you have a hideous commute.
5 - Housing is of much, much, much better quality (the houses in the DC suburbs are crap).
6 - You can find public schools that are fantastic if you are careful.
7 - You can afford to take nice vacations - and should - because you are far more likely to have some discretionary income. Being this close to Dallas and Denver gives you plenty of options to reach a hub.
8 - Oklahoma is very different than most people think and if you confine yourself to the capital, you miss a lot. Fun to explore.
9 - This might be a personal preference and people have individual allergies but I hated the nasty air in DC. It was, to me, just gross. GROSS. I would come home on vacations to Oklahoma and the air, with its breezes, felt so much cleaner. Of course, some people have grass allergies that might bother them (husband does) but I don't. Trees pollen bothers me more and you get that in spades back east.
10 - People are sweet, here.
11 - There are great opportunities for sporting events and the places are laid out well enough that you can actually attend without the level of white knuckled drive you get in DC.
12 - You can usually afford to live in town if you want to - my husband had a three hour (total) commute to work in DC. Not particularly uncommon because of housing costs.
13 - Our zoo makes the National zoo look like a petting zoo.
14 - Lots of middle class people (similar to DC) but within the middle class there is a very good mix of blue collar and white collar. Our middle class here consists of a lot of trades vs mainly federal office workers.
15 - Excellent hospitals and a world class cancer center area.
16 - OKC, as a capital city opens up a lot of opportunities and conveniences by virtue of proximity.
17 - Real skiing within a one day drive. Same with Memphis. Same with the Texas hill country.
18 - A vibrant and growing professional class.
19 - A great mix of urban and rural. Plenty of parents like the idea of exposing their children to both.
20 - We've got some very nice museums but they aren't free the way a lot are in DC. On the plus side, they aren't jammed with tourists, either.
21 - The sunshine. Can't say enough about that. Plenty of days in DC aren't raining but you get more than your share of muggy, overcast days.
22 - Our winters, typically, aren't that much warmer than DC but since we get warm spells, it breaks it up more regularly. Our growing season is longer.
23 - Be honest, it gets hot in July, August and September. But we are ahead of DC on a longer growing season and spring comes earlier and that's always a welcome relief. We have real seasons.
24 - Bermuda grass. I cannot stress enough that if you have dogs, DC is not the place to be. They don't have spring, they have the mud season. This should have been number 1. Their grass is beautiful but super fragile so it gets stomped down.
25 - If they are remotely interested in birding or wildlife, this is a fabulous place. And if they have any interest in botany or zoology, the native Oklahoma flora and fauna is a marvel. It isn't what you would put on a postcard but you'll get lost in studying it if you are prone to that sort of thing.
26 - The sky. Our sunsets and sun rises are spectacular, as are our storm clouds.
27 - If they are christians or pagans, there is a vibrant, welcoming community. Most medium sized congregations have abundant youth activities they might be interested in. Regardless of what people may claim, if the christians can be kind to a pagan (and they tend to be), they have no problem with a nonbeliever.
28 - One of the most important things is that people who come to OKC have the opportunity to be on the first or second floor of its blossoming. If they settle here, thirty years from now they will have had the opportunity to tell their grandkids that they were part of it instead of just a resident in a city someone else built.
29 - Agreed with the above poster that someone with a professional degree doesn't get lost in the bucket of all the other people with professional degrees. But if you want to go the trade route, this is also a great place.
30 - If you need something done - house repair, fence erected, hot water tank swapped out, etc., you can get it done without being put on a waiting list for six months and costing an arm and a leg. My husband and I actually considered shipping out an Oklahoma crew to install a deck on our place in Alexandria (DC suburb) because even with the travel expenses and putting a crew up in motels, it would be cheaper and faster.

If your friends are from the east coast and have never been anywhere else, this is a big change and a big cultural shock. We are less PC, we are whiter, we are older, we are more christian, we are more conservative, we have a vibrant gun culture. It is hot, less trees in this area, less historic. Our falls aren't as pretty, our snows aren't as pretty. (I submit our springs beat their hands down, however).

However, I think if your friends are looking for a place with nice people, the ability to find good schools and are interested in finding a home base for kids, there is none better. I have kids settled in NYC and if they were to tell me they were moving to OKC, I would think it was the smartest move they ever made even if I didn't live close.

Eddie1
05-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Having lived in the DC area for ten years before moving back home, where to start:

1 - Traffic is so, so, so much better here. Traffic is just traffic - it isn't how you plan your day, nor does it control your schedule.
2 - You can get anything, within reason, here that you can get there. By that I mean the chain stores/franchises/etc. here aren't that different than the ones there.
3 - Thunder
4 - Cost of living and lower housing means you can get much more bang for your buck and don't have to live so far away that you have a hideous commute.
5 - Housing is of much, much, much better quality (the houses in the DC suburbs are crap).
6 - You can find public schools that are fantastic if you are careful.
7 - You can afford to take nice vacations - and should - because you are far more likely to have some discretionary income. Being this close to Dallas and Denver gives you plenty of options to reach a hub.
8 - Oklahoma is very different than most people think and if you confine yourself to the capital, you miss a lot. Fun to explore.
9 - This might be a personal preference and people have individual allergies but I hated the nasty air in DC. It was, to me, just gross. GROSS. I would come home on vacations to Oklahoma and the air, with its breezes, felt so much cleaner. Of course, some people have grass allergies that might bother them (husband does) but I don't. Trees pollen bothers me more and you get that in spades back east.
10 - People are sweet, here.
11 - There are great opportunities for sporting events and the places are laid out well enough that you can actually attend without the level of white knuckled drive you get in DC.
12 - You can usually afford to live in town if you want to - my husband had a three hour (total) commute to work in DC. Not particularly uncommon because of housing costs.
13 - Our zoo makes the National zoo look like a petting zoo.
14 - Lots of middle class people (similar to DC) but within the middle class there is a very good mix of blue collar and white collar. Our middle class here consists of a lot of trades vs mainly federal office workers.
15 - Excellent hospitals and a world class cancer center area.
16 - OKC, as a capital city opens up a lot of opportunities and conveniences by virtue of proximity.
17 - Real skiing within a one day drive. Same with Memphis. Same with the Texas hill country.
18 - A vibrant and growing professional class.
19 - A great mix of urban and rural. Plenty of parents like the idea of exposing their children to both.
20 - We've got some very nice museums but they aren't free the way a lot are in DC. On the plus side, they aren't jammed with tourists, either.
21 - The sunshine. Can't say enough about that. Plenty of days in DC aren't raining but you get more than your share of muggy, overcast days.
22 - Our winters, typically, aren't that much warmer than DC but since we get warm spells, it breaks it up more regularly. Our growing season is longer.
23 - Be honest, it gets hot in July, August and September. But we are ahead of DC on a longer growing season and spring comes earlier and that's always a welcome relief. We have real seasons.
24 - Bermuda grass. I cannot stress enough that if you have dogs, DC is not the place to be. They don't have spring, they have the mud season. This should have been number 1. Their grass is beautiful but super fragile so it gets stomped down.
25 - If they are remotely interested in birding or wildlife, this is a fabulous place. And if they have any interest in botany or zoology, the native Oklahoma flora and fauna is a marvel. It isn't what you would put on a postcard but you'll get lost in studying it if you are prone to that sort of thing.
26 - The sky. Our sunsets and sun rises are spectacular, as are our storm clouds.
27 - If they are christians or pagans, there is a vibrant, welcoming community. Most medium sized congregations have abundant youth activities they might be interested in. Regardless of what people may claim, if the christians can be kind to a pagan (and they tend to be), they have no problem with a nonbeliever.
28 - One of the most important things is that people who come to OKC have the opportunity to be on the first or second floor of its blossoming. If they settle here, thirty years from now they will have had the opportunity to tell their grandkids that they were part of it instead of just a resident in a city someone else built.
29 - Agreed with the above poster that someone with a professional degree doesn't get lost in the bucket of all the other people with professional degrees. But if you want to go the trade route, this is also a great place.
30 - If you need something done - house repair, fence erected, hot water tank swapped out, etc., you can get it done without being put on a waiting list for six months and costing an arm and a leg. My husband and I actually considered shipping out an Oklahoma crew to install a deck on our place in Alexandria (DC suburb) because even with the travel expenses and putting a crew up in motels, it would be cheaper and faster.

If your friends are from the east coast and have never been anywhere else, this is a big change and a big cultural shock. We are less PC, we are whiter, we are older, we are more christian, we are more conservative, we have a vibrant gun culture. It is hot, less trees in this area, less historic. Our falls aren't as pretty, our snows aren't as pretty. (I submit our springs beat their hands down, however).

However, I think if your friends are looking for a place with nice people, the ability to find good schools and are interested in finding a home base for kids, there is none better. I have kids settled in NYC and if they were to tell me they were moving to OKC, I would think it was the smartest move they ever made even if I didn't live close.

I grew up in the DC suburbs and lived in the city until I was 25, this is a very good post and not much I would argue with there...open mind, they will like it out here.

OKVision4U
05-08-2014, 10:53 AM
... see, everyone wants to overshoot this thing. The question they must ask first is ...... "Do you like mowing?" ..."Small City Lot or Large suburban lot?" ..."Small push behind or Large Zero Turn w/ 120 in blade and 300 HP..???"

..then from there you can go to the other typical criteria, w/ kids / schools / jobs / ...and addictions to running / climbing / or ice cream.

bchris02
05-08-2014, 10:55 AM
It sounds like your friends are open to moving here, but I would offer some caution. IMO people who move to OKC from the East Coast have a more difficult time adjusting. It is a different world once you cross the Mississippi going west. DC is a wonderful city, but it is very fast paced and with so many ambitious smart people in one place it can be a little cut throat culturally. Some people live off that and are more than willing to pay the price.

I couldn't agree more. I have had a very difficult time adjusting and part of that was not being prepared for the cultural differences (even though I've lived here before the east coast culture fit me like a glove). Oklahoma is a different world compared to the East Coast. Having an open mind and properly weighing the benefits vs the sacrifices is key. Being that the OP's friend is married, that will make the transition much easier.

Dennis Heaton
05-08-2014, 11:01 AM
They can have Maryland Crab Cakes mailed to them anywhere in OKC (except maybe for the County Jail)! :-)

Maryland Crab Cakes - Crab Cakes Shipped Fresh from Maryland! (http://marylandcrabcakes.net/)

Teo9969
05-08-2014, 11:06 AM
I don't know if it was mentioned, but one of the biggest things about OKC that I think should be sold to people who are considering moving here, is the real opportunity to have a say in how this city moves forward.

Realistically, you're not going to a place like San Francisco with any real opportunity to have a significant impact on the community at large…let alone the nation's capital or places like NYC/LA. It's a great opportunity to start a business, find a niche that no one has covered and become a pioneer in the city, if that's their thing.

DavidD_NorthOKC
05-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Penny's post sums it up pretty well - something that could be right out of a Chamber of Commerce ad. Very nicely done PQ. I especially like being part of an evolving, transforming city (#28). The changes since I moved here have been dramatic and just about 100% positive.

Some things to consider although relatively minor - OKC is not particularly attractive aesthetically. There is nothing here that comes close being able to stand on the National Mall and take in all the monuments (let's not talk about monuments at the OK Capitol!! :-) )

But -- there are plenty of things coming that makes up for some of that. With some patience, the new MAPS3 projects are going to push the transformation of OKC to new heights. The whitewater center and other river amenities, streetcar, downtown park, etc will be things most people new to OKC may not expect and will enjoy.

If they lean to the left or are even moderate politically, this place could be frustrating at times. Jaw droppingly so every now and then. But they must know how "red" that state is and they are still considering the move. I certainly would not let that keep me from moving here because there are so many other good things about OKC - the people, the energy, the transformation, etc - that honestly put that pretty far down the list. (Regardless of how much some of us fuss at each other in other threads.) But if that is something very important to them, it might be a consideration.

Overall, as others have said, it could be a very positive experience at least for a few years. They may start wanting some of the east coast / Tier 1 city amenities again in the future, but I think spending some time in the Heartland will be enjoyable and something they will remember fondly.

Dubya61
05-08-2014, 12:10 PM
One of the things I love about OKC is the proximity to lots of stuff to see and do. Get a subscription to the Oklahoma Today magazine (propaganda from the Oklahoma Department of Tourism) and resolve to go to one of of the places in this month's magazine each month. Sign up for one of the OKC magazines and resolve to do something from that magazine each month.
TBH, people should do this wherever they live. There are often a lot of overlooked things in every locale. When we lived in Stuttgart, Germany, we would make ourselves take a trip once a month and never regretted it. There's so many places in easy reach from Stuttgart, and I think OKC is much the same way.

TheTravellers
05-08-2014, 12:34 PM
It all depends on what they are looking to gain and what they are willing to sacrifice by making the move. Selling OKC on urban or cultural amenities isn't going to work nor is it honest. DC is a world-class city with almost every cultural and entertainment option you can imagine. If they are open to the possibility of living in a small city on the wide open prairie that has a low cost of housing, low unemployment, and a close-knit, family oriented culture, then it shouldn't be a hard sell. If, on the other hand, they are wondering if they could possible "do" Oklahoma and are nervous about the quality of life sacrifices they will have to make, then it may be more difficult. They are definitely making the right choice by visiting prior to making a decision.

Fixed it for ya. Other things except housing aren't really that much cheaper here than elsewhere.

bchris02
05-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Fixed it for ya. Other things except housing aren't really that much cheaper here than elsewhere.

I agree. In fact, somethings are more expensive here. I have less disposable income here than I did making less money in Charlotte. My car insurance for instance went from $40/month to $200/month. Gas is cheaper here but I also probably drive 15x as much. Rent here is no cheaper and is actually more expensive in some instances for the same standard of living. Of course that is compared to Charlotte, not DC. Coming from DC, OKC should be cheaper in most ways with the possible exception of insurance.

adaniel
05-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Housing is by far the biggest outflow of money for most people. Going from a place where a $500K place will cost you $200-250K here will absolutely make a difference even with everything else being a wash.

OMG this!!

I'm in Dallas now and its the same way. You need to have furniture delivered or to get a quote for some house work or run just some typical errand? Be prepared to be put on a wait list for at least a month, and then you pretty much have to take the day off because the best they can tell you is "we'll be there between 8am and 5pm."

In OKC there is a much easier pace of day to day living and you don't realize it until you live/experience it somewhere else.

Celebrator
05-08-2014, 01:01 PM
I knew I could count on my OKCTalk Advisory Council to come through in a big way. Tremendously helpful. You guys are the best.

Celebrator
05-08-2014, 01:03 PM
This isn't specific, but I will say now that I have relocated to a much larger area myself. On paper, the area I live in has so much more to do than OKC. And yet, I don't feel like a lot of this stuff is very accessible to me because traffic stinks on the weekdays, on the weekends you have a very limited amount of time, and its usually expensive and/or crowded. In OKC, I notice a lot more suburbanites frequent downtown because it isn't such a hassle in getting there for most of the metro. Not so much here, and I bet it is similar in DC. I'm not sure how you would show this though.

Very key point that I think about and am grateful for all the time!

Mel
05-08-2014, 01:27 PM
The weather is more exciting here.

Dustin
05-08-2014, 01:31 PM
You could show them this commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CBiO_eVtY8

Dennis Heaton
05-08-2014, 01:38 PM
The weather is more exciting here. And they will never see the likes of Hurricane Isabel in this part of the country.

Jake
05-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Just be as negative and self-deprecating as possible.

LocoAko
05-08-2014, 01:55 PM
I couldn't agree more. I have had a very difficult time adjusting and part of that was not being prepared for the cultural differences (even though I've lived here before the east coast culture fit me like a glove). Oklahoma is a different world compared to the East Coast. Having an open mind and properly weighing the benefits vs the sacrifices is key. Being that the OP's friend is married, that will make the transition much easier.

I was born and raised in Jersey City/NYC and I'm surviving just fine here and honestly love it. I think what made a difference for me was when I read (somewhere... I forget) that if I came here expecting to have my NYC experience I'd hate my life. Instead, *I'm* the new person here, and I need to understand how life is here and accept it for what it is. So, when I go home to visit NYC, I love the skyscraper canyons, hustle and bustle, and nightlife, and when I'm in Oklahoma I love the big sky, rolling prairies and "simple" things (friendly folks at -gasp- Walmart, etc.). I think it is healthy to adjust expectations and find the benefits in each place. Simple example: pizza and bagels here are pathetic compared to back home, but the BBQ and Mexican food is amazing. So, I eat bagels and pizza in NYC, and I eat BBQ and Mexican here. :) It is really all about perspective... if they come here trying to find a "cheaper DC" they will be disappointed. If they come here to find a lifestyle that is opposite that of DC, I suspect they'll settle in nicely. Everywhere has its benefits.

I don't know what type of people your friends are, but one of the realizations I had when visiting home for the first time after moving here was that despite the insane number of cultural amenities back home, I wasn't taking advantage of most of them (primarily due to cost). I can't afford rooftop bars and the five-star restaurants of NYC and, if I was being honest with myself, I'd wander around NYC in wonder and then end up eating at Chipotle. I was essentially living a simple life in a world class city, but now I can do something similar except afford the roof top bars, etc. Sure, kayaking is possible in NYC (I think?), but I can't beat buying an $85 season pass and being able to kayak whenever I want in the river or Lake Overholser in the warmth that we get so much more than they do. Overall, I've found pretty much everything (except getting around without a car) 'easier' here than back home, even if it comes at the expense of something I could *theoretically* be doing.

I will say that sometimes I can't believe I live here, in a way that is hard to explain. Life here is so different than back home, almost to a cartoonish extent, that sometimes it feels like an extended vacation or trip where, after two years here, I'm *still* exploring the differences here, still occasionally shocked at certain things (good and bad).

I don't know if it was mentioned, but one of the biggest things about OKC that I think should be sold to people who are considering moving here, is the real opportunity to have a say in how this city moves forward.

Realistically, you're not going to a place like San Francisco with any real opportunity to have a significant impact on the community at large…let alone the nation's capital or places like NYC/LA. It's a great opportunity to start a business, find a niche that no one has covered and become a pioneer in the city, if that's their thing.

This, too. OKC is still small enough that it is relatively easy to find groups of motivated folks interested in advancing the city. Other cities that are already established, while having amenitites that we don't have, are also moree or less immune to whatever you want/do unless you're in a position of great power.

Despite there being an infinite number of coffee shops in a place like DC or NYC, I like being able to settle into a place like Cuppies and Joes and feel welcomed and like a part of a tight knit community. There may be less of almost everything here in terms of city amenities, but for some reason I like having only one or two homely places like that.

If they lean to the left or are even moderate politically, this place could be frustrating at times. Jaw droppingly so every now and then. But they must know how "red" that state is and they are still considering the move. I certainly would not let that keep me from moving here because there are so many other good things about OKC - the people, the energy, the transformation, etc - that honestly put that pretty far down the list. (Regardless of how much some of us fuss at each other in other threads.) But if that is something very important to them, it might be a consideration.

Overall, as others have said, it could be a very positive experience at least for a few years. They may start wanting some of the east coast / Tier 1 city amenities again in the future, but I think spending some time in the Heartland will be enjoyable and something they will remember fondly.

Agree with the above. Though, if I'm trying to take the optimistic route, I think being the "minority" here (atheist, liberal, etc.) makes it easier to connect with like-minded people who tend to be more outspoken when they're in the minority. I've managed to find a group with similar belief systems to mine (though being in a University setting helps, admittedly)... so they ARE here. That being said, sometimes the politics of this place (particularly at the larger levels) are ridiculous to the point that I can only shake my head and laugh it off -- what else can you do?

I agree. In fact, somethings are more expensive here. I have less disposable income here than I did making less money in Charlotte. My car insurance for instance went from $40/month to $200/month. Gas is cheaper here but I also probably drive 15x as much. Rent here is no cheaper and is actually more expensive in some instances for the same standard of living. Of course that is compared to Charlotte, not DC. Coming from DC, OKC should be cheaper in most ways with the possible exception of insurance.

$200/mo? What in the hell are you driving? My car insurance plummeted when moving to Oklahoma from New Jersey and I'm paying $68/mo on a lease...

Dennis Heaton
05-08-2014, 02:04 PM
$200/mo? What in the hell are you driving? My car insurance plummeted when moving to Oklahoma from New Jersey and I'm paying $68/mo on a lease...

Maybe an 18 Wheeler?????

PennyQuilts
05-08-2014, 02:11 PM

I completely agree on the insurance. It was sticker shock in reverse to go back east in 2000 when I got married. Our household combined insurances (comprehensive and liability) was less than what I paid just for me in Oklahoma. The only think I could figure was that there was so much traffic, there, they made money on volume. I also noticed that there were a lot more crap cars in the area and figured it was because with all the traffic, you were liable to get them dinged up and there wasn't much point in pretending otherwise. When we returned home in late 2009, the car insurance spiked back up. Other than that, everything else was less except maybe the water bill.

PennyQuilts
05-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Housing is by far the biggest outflow of money for most people. Going from a place where a $500K place will cost you $200-250K here will absolutely make a difference even with everything else being a wash.

OMG this!!

I'm in Dallas now and its the same way. You need to have furniture delivered or to get a quote for some house work or run just some typical errand? Be prepared to be put on a wait list for at least a month, and then you pretty much have to take the day off because the best they can tell you is "we'll be there between 8am and 5pm."

In OKC there is a much easier pace of day to day living and you don't realize it until you live/experience it somewhere else.

My husband and I say this all the time - Oklahoma is the place where the living is easy. My kids live in NYC and while they are used to it, it is just.so.hard.to.do.anything. And in the DC area, it was just a cluster and a long line to get anything done. You have to schedule your day around traffic and just deal with nonstop aggravation. I still can't believe I can pick up the phone, call the propane people and I will have a full tank by day's end. I can call a plumber, and electrician, run errands, etc. No fuss, no muss. It like escaping from a sticky trap.

TaoMaas
05-08-2014, 02:17 PM

This is the thing I hear most often when we interview people who have relocated to OKC. They moved for the opportunities they saw emerging. We're still small enough that someone with an idea for a unique business can start out small, get noticed, and grow from there...whereas that same business might have gotten swallowed up in a much larger city.

PennyQuilts
05-08-2014, 02:17 PM
And they will never see the likes of Hurricane Isabel in this part of the country.

Isabel came by our house. As hurricanes go, and I don't have much experience, it wasn't that big a deal. I was just excited to have some fancy weather for a change.

Dennis Heaton
05-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Could just as well be singing about Oh Kay See...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHH-6B5Rapc

GaryOKC6
05-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Take them to GREATEROKC.TV | Greater Oklahoma City Economic Development (http://www.greaterokc.tv) This is an awesome Oklahoma City website!

bchris02
05-08-2014, 03:01 PM
I completely agree on the insurance. It was sticker shock in reverse to go back east in 2000 when I got married. Our household combined insurances (comprehensive and liability) was less than what I paid just for me in Oklahoma. The only think I could figure was that there was so much traffic, there, they made money on volume. I also noticed that there were a lot more crap cars in the area and figured it was because with all the traffic, you were liable to get them dinged up and there wasn't much point in pretending otherwise. When we returned home in late 2009, the car insurance spiked back up. Other than that, everything else was less except maybe the water bill.

I would be interested to know who LocoAko is using to get it that cheap and what he is driving. The insurance agent told me the reason it is so high here is the hail storms and because there are so many uninsured motorists.

PhiAlpha
05-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Maybe an 18 Wheeler?????

An 18 Wheeler/Sports Car Hybrid

LocoAko
05-08-2014, 03:58 PM
I would be interested to know who LocoAko is using to get it that cheap and what he is driving. The insurance agent told me the reason it is so high here is the hail storms and because there are so many uninsured motorists.

Leased 2012 Honda Civic w/ Geico. Mine may be lower than usual because I was on my parent's for a while and was "accident-free" the entire time, and I believe I got some sort of "good-student" discount or some such thing, but yeah.

ctchandler
05-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Dennis,
Not all crab cakes are created equal! I know/knew one of the better places in Maryland to get crab cakes, and they don't ship. I wish I could remember the name of that place.
C. T.
They can have Maryland Crab Cakes mailed to them anywhere in OKC (except maybe for the County Jail)! :-)

ctchandler
05-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Bchris02,
I collected $6,400+ for my hail damage last year. I have a Mercury Grand Marquis and carry collision/comprehensive and of course liability with emergency road service and a couple of other things. I believe it's $500 deductible. Here is my list of payments for the last two and one half years, cut and pasted from BOK. They don't go back further than that. So, I am averaging about $70 per month. I have had two renewals since the hail damage and no increas in cost.
C. T.

Details 20458609-250512 State Farm/Grand Marquis 1/13/2014 CHECKING Processed $399.98
Details 19038576-250512 State Farm/Grand Marquis 7/12/2013 CHECKING Processed $433.96
Details 17622230-250512 State Farm/Grand Marquis 1/11/2013 CHECKING Processed $403.69
Details 16215329-250512 State Farm/Grand Marquis 7/13/2012 CHECKING Processed $412.58
Details 14882180-250512 State Farm/Grand Marquis 1/13/2012 CHECKING Processed $440.64

Dennis Heaton
05-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Dennis, Not all crab cakes are created equal! I know/knew one of the better places in Maryland to get crab cakes, and they don't ship. I wish I could remember the name of that place.
C. T.

C.T. Best "Crab Cakes" I have ever had are found in Astoria, OR. If I could only get South Carolina BBQ, Alaskan Crab, Hatch, NM Tacos, and Geno's or Pat's King Philly in OKC, then I would never leave OK.

boitoirich
05-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Genuinely friendly people. That can't be stated enough.

In the line at grocery stores, people still talk to you. They ask you about items you have on the conveyor belt that they've been meaning to try. They compliment on your clothing and ask where you found it. They mention current events and banter back and forth with you about it until you're halfway out the door. I grew up with that, then moved to New York for college. I learned very quickly not to talk to people I didn't know in public places.

This hit home with me recently while running around a small pond at Edwards Lake in East OKC. After about my tenth trip around the pond, a little boy, encouragingly nudged by his father, flagged me down to talk to him. I turned off the iPod and leaned in. "Hey mister," he asked, "how many times are you going to run around the lake?" he wondered. That the child's natural friendliness and curiosity were supported by his parents is the difference between Oklahoma and big, east coast cities.

bluedogok
05-10-2014, 10:15 AM
I was born and raised in Jersey City/NYC and I'm surviving just fine here and honestly love it. I think what made a difference for me was when I read (somewhere... I forget) that if I came here expecting to have my NYC experience I'd hate my life. Instead, *I'm* the new person here, and I need to understand how life is here and accept it for what it is. So, when I go home to visit NYC, I love the skyscraper canyons, hustle and bustle, and nightlife, and when I'm in Oklahoma I love the big sky, rolling prairies and "simple" things (friendly folks at -gasp- Walmart, etc.). I think it is healthy to adjust expectations and find the benefits in each place. Simple example: pizza and bagels here are pathetic compared to back home, but the BBQ and Mexican food is amazing. So, I eat bagels and pizza in NYC, and I eat BBQ and Mexican here. :) It is really all about perspective... if they come here trying to find a "cheaper DC" they will be disappointed. If they come here to find a lifestyle that is opposite that of DC, I suspect they'll settle in nicely. Everywhere has its benefits.
I found the same thing with people that I knew from back east when living in Dallas, Austin or now in Denver, if you are expecting an east coast lifestyle out here you will be miserable. Those with an open mind will be much happier and embrace the differences.

I don't know what type of people your friends are, but one of the realizations I had when visiting home for the first time after moving here was that despite the insane number of cultural amenities back home, I wasn't taking advantage of most of them (primarily due to cost). I can't afford rooftop bars and the five-star restaurants of NYC and, if I was being honest with myself, I'd wander around NYC in wonder and then end up eating at Chipotle. I was essentially living a simple life in a world class city, but now I can do something similar except afford the roof top bars, etc. Sure, kayaking is possible in NYC (I think?), but I can't beat buying an $85 season pass and being able to kayak whenever I want in the river or Lake Overholser in the warmth that we get so much more than they do. Overall, I've found pretty much everything (except getting around without a car) 'easier' here than back home, even if it comes at the expense of something I could *theoretically* be doing.
I noticed that when I moved from OKC to Dallas in 1991, I was just living a life not that different from what I did in OKC except without the friends that I had grown up with. On weekend trips to Dallas before moving there we would cram so much into the weekend, after living there I realized that it wasn't all that different other than an occasional Cowboys, Rangers or Mavericks game (the Stars announced their move from Minneapolis right as I was moving back to OKC).

bchris02
05-10-2014, 04:04 PM
I found the same thing with people that I knew from back east when living in Dallas, Austin or now in Denver, if you are expecting an east coast lifestyle out here you will be miserable. Those with an open mind will be much happier and embrace the differences.

My guess is adjusting to somewhere like DFW or Austin as compared to OKC would be easier to somebody from the east coast, being that the cities are more transient and cosmopolitan. There are probably still minor cultural differences and sometimes its the minor things that can make or break someone's opinion of a place.

bluedogok
05-10-2014, 05:26 PM
My guess is adjusting to somewhere like DFW or Austin as compared to OKC would be easier to somebody from the east coast, being that the cities are more transient and cosmopolitan. There are probably still minor cultural differences and sometimes its the minor things that can make or break someone's opinion of a place.
I think it is probably easier now to adjust to Dallas (or Houston) than it was 20+ years ago, I think Austin is still pretty much behind them in what more senior corporate people would be wanting in a city. Austin is still pretty much geared towards a younger population and is more suited for startup or tech type companies.

I remember when JCPenney in 1987 relocated from Manhattan to Dallas/Irving (eventually building a campus in Plano) and how there were stories of complete culture shock by those who relocated. My cousin went to high school in Irving and many of her friends were the kids of those who relocated, some of the stories were hilarious. The ironic thing is my cousin moved to NYC after graduating from North Texas and has been there for 20 years. In 1989 Exxon relocated to Irving, Mobil followed after the merger but had a pretty large presence even before the merger. The major relocation to Dallas or Houston are nothing new.

Many of my apartment neighbors who moved from the northeast and midwest absolutely loved it, a few just tolerated it.

LandRunOkie
05-10-2014, 07:52 PM
genuinely nosy people.

fify!