View Full Version : Red Cedar elimination, Oklahoma County

KenRagsdale
05-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Oklahoma County officials seek to rid county of invasive red cedars | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-county-officials-seek-to-rid-county-of-invasive-red-cedars/article/4746831)

OKCisOK4me
05-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Saw this on the news the other night. Really a good program. Not only because they go up like matchsticks but because they suck up tons of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bchris02
05-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Saw this on the news the other night. Really a good program. Not only because they go up like matchsticks but because they suck up tons of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the houses I grew up in had a tone of these trees in the backyard. Wherever there were red cedars, the oaks were scraggly, probably no more than 20 feet tall, and would lose their leaves as soon as dry weather set in in July and August. In the front yard, where there were no cedars, most of the oaks were 50-70 ft tall.

bradh
05-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Some say the quickest way to grow more cedars is cut a bunch down and spread their seeds. Those things are pests like wild hogs.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-11-2014, 06:21 PM
lol...How do I know which ones are "red" cedars? I have several cedar trees...But they're not all the same. I have one giant one that I would absolutely LOVE to see going into a woodchipper. It's too close to my shop and well...It's fugly :D

mugofbeer
05-11-2014, 08:12 PM
If anyone hears of such a program in Logan county, please post it!