View Full Version : Let's Talk About Prayer

Pages : [1] 2

Dennis Heaton
05-06-2014, 05:52 PM
I cannot find anything on the www about Governor Fallin's most recent public plea (Guthrie Fire) for Oklahoma citizens to "pray for rain." She has done this before...

Climate-Denying Oklahoma Governor Tells Residents To Pray For Rain | ThinkProgress (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/07/18/271658/climate-denying-oklahoma-governor-tells-residents-to-pray-for-rain/)

I have heard, more times than I can remember, that Oklahoma is the "Belt Buckle of the Bible Belt."

Question: Does God answer prayer?

Jersey Boss
05-06-2014, 06:11 PM
I would check with VENTURE on that one. Interesting she made the plea when rain was in the forecast though. Don't know about the prayer answering, but I bet there are a lot of softball/baseball players and the such "praying" that it doesn't. A well thought out contingency plan is more substantive and based in reality though. The time for rationing is now, not in July.

Dustin
05-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Prayer works 50% of the time.

catcherinthewry
05-06-2014, 06:59 PM
That article is almost 3 years old and on a site that obviously has an agenda. Last year we had an almost record amount of rainfall so Fallin could stick that in their faces if she wanted to.

As for prayer, I've been doing some research and from what I can tell from the bible is that God already has a plan (Isaiah 37:26, It is I, the Lord, who decided this long ago. Long ago I planned what I am now causing to happen.), so prayer has no influence one way or the other. Of course, there are plenty of contradictions in the bible so I'm sure there are verses that say prayers work.

Thesaurum
05-06-2014, 09:05 PM
I wise friend once assured me God answers all prayers... and sometimes the answer is "NO".

Plutonic Panda
05-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I do the rain dance and get 'jiggy' wit it. ;)

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but if it fails, I go to plan B which is washing my car while making arrangements to have an State of Emergency Fair.

venture
05-06-2014, 09:34 PM
My thoughts on this from as objective as I can be. I feel it is unfair to those with a strong faith to put them in a position to trivialize that belief for something more or less material. Whether it is praying for rain or praying for a storm not to hit, I just feel it puts an unneeded burden on faith that could cause more problems than anything. Sure pray for rain, but is it going to be validated by any shower that depends over what time period? I'm more scientific in the way of thinking, which is why organized religion isn't my cup of tea as I've grown older. If it rains in 3 months are people going to shout "our prayers have been answered" or will it be "well it took long enough" from those praying for rain? I also look at the part where most of the higher end natural disaster in this country end up taking place in those more evangelical areas. Do those with strong faith feel that they are being punished then? If so, why?

It's just one of those things. I don't like tying faith/praying to weather - ever. I look at prayer as a way of self meditation that is a great practice for people, that needed it, to get through the tough patches in their lives. We all cope with things differently though. Who am I to judge if someone feels prayer gets them through things? Faith a strong thing. My grandparents had a very deep faith up until their last breath that my parents were present for. From what was explained to me about the actions they performed just before they passed was a shining example of that. Not everyone is like that though and I'm not one to hold that against anyone.

Is praying to a Christian God for rain any more effective that doing a native rain dance? Are practices that a wiccan or pagan perform any more or less effective? Not my call. The beauty of this country is that it doesn't matter. We are free to practice whatever faith we wish.

Will I ever pray for rain? No. I just go in with the understanding that weather is about balance. We will eventually get out of this drought at some point. This is why we use averages over a few decades instead of focusing only on the short term.

Prunepicker
05-06-2014, 09:35 PM
I have heard, more times than I can remember, that Oklahoma is the "Belt
Buckle of the Bible Belt."

Whether or not Oklahoma is the "Belt Buckle of the Bible Belt" is totally
irrelevant. It means nothing.

Yes, God answers prayer but answers are conditional. Will it glorify God
or not? Is it for selfish gain?

John 16:24
John 15:7

Prunepicker
05-06-2014, 09:37 PM
I wise friend once assured me God answers all prayers... and sometimes
the answer is "NO".
That's the truth. When the answer is no then it doesn't glorify God.

Chadanth
05-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Prayer is ineffective.

Pray for the bridge in Purcell and drive across it, I doubt that will go well. The state might be better off looking for actual water resources instead of encouraging prayer.

Dustin
05-06-2014, 09:48 PM
I wise friend once assured me God answers all prayers... and sometimes the answer is "NO".

So God said "NO" to people on May 20th praying their house wouldn't get hit?

What a jerk.

Oh wait, nvm... He "works in mysterious ways" or "he needed another angel in heaven..."

Prunepicker
05-06-2014, 10:04 PM

What a jerk.
How so?

I believe the "mysterious ways" comes from a poem and not the Bible.

The fact remains that God never promised anyone a rose garden. Sin
is the principal reason bad things happen to "good" people. Good
meaning those who are perceived as being good.

Plutonic Panda
05-06-2014, 10:36 PM

What a jerk.

Oh wait, nvm... He "works in mysterious ways" or "he needed another angel in heaven..."that is a dumb argument.... If that is the case, than anytime someone dies, 'God' didn't answer someone's prayer and therefore is a jerk, right? You can't say he would be saying no just because a natural disaster happens. It is something out of our control

Thesaurum
05-06-2014, 10:41 PM

What a jerk.

Oh wait, nvm... He "works in mysterious ways" or "he needed another angel in heaven..."

Neither of the passages you cite are in the Hebrew/Christian scriptures, so I don't think you should place too much reliance on them in forming your opinion. The "works in mysterious ways" phrase is, I think, from a 16th Century hymn and I don't have a clue where you got the "another angel in heaven" quote from, although I grant some may take comfort from such a thought.

I don't know who you were referring to as "a jerk". If to me, I take no offense. If to God, then you have just said, however inarticulately, a prayer. "I poured out my complaint before him" Psalm 142:2.

Prunepicker
05-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Neither of the passages you cite are in the Hebrew/Christian scriptures, so
I don't think you should place too much reliance on them in forming your
opinion.
This is a common occurrence from those who either don't read the Bible or
rely upon the opinion of those who don't read the Bible.

The "works in mysterious ways" phrase is, I think, from a 16th Century
hymn and I don't have a clue where you got the "another angel in heaven"
quote from, although I grant some may take comfort from such a thought.

It's certainly not from the Bible. I mentioned that it was from a poem.
The "another angel" reference is simple out there. It has nothing to do with
the Bible.

kelroy55
05-07-2014, 05:54 AM
I've noticed that when people pray for something and it happens it's a blessing from God and when it doesn't happen it's God's will... God can't lose either way.

Chadanth
05-07-2014, 06:33 AM
I've noticed that when people pray for something and it happens it's a blessing from God and when it doesn't happen it's God's will... God can't lose either way.

Also, when you succeed, it's to his credit, when you fail, it's your own shortcomings. I want to see an MVP runner-up blame god for not winning....

KenRagsdale
05-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Theologians term what appears capricious to humanity to be the "providential sovereignity of an omnipotent, omniscient God."

Jim Kyle
05-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Question: Does God answer prayer?Answer: Yes, but sometimes the answer is "Sorry, no."

SoonerDave
05-07-2014, 10:41 AM
When "prayer" in contemporary terms is reduced to judging whether God responds to requests like a slot machine fixed in favor of the player, then no, there will never be a satisfactory answer to the question. One citing Biblical references toward the encouragement (in fact, exhortation) toward prayer will be dismissed by those who reject the Bible in the first place. As for the basic question at hand, I'll offer only the answer I know to give, and realize I can't force anyone else to believe it or accept it. That said, there can be hardly any question that the Bible entreats us to pray, such that it must have some grand if not entirely seen purpose under His sovereign authority. Whether we interpret it as "yes/no" answer is, in the final analysis, our own problem.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 - "Pray without ceasing."
James 5:16 - "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
Phillippians 4:6 - "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."

The point is that there is considerable, strident admonition in the Bible for prayer. We constrain its effects to what we can see, to our own detriment.

Bunty
05-07-2014, 11:37 AM
I cannot find anything on the www about Governor Fallin's most recent public plea (Guthrie Fire) for Oklahoma citizens to "pray for rain." She has done this before...

Climate-Denying Oklahoma Governor Tells Residents To Pray For Rain | ThinkProgress (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/07/18/271658/climate-denying-oklahoma-governor-tells-residents-to-pray-for-rain/)

I have heard, more times than I can remember, that Oklahoma is the "Belt Buckle of the Bible Belt."

Be careful of what you pray for. Praying to end last year's drought worked but led to deadly flash flooding. Of course, some people will say that prayer had nothing to do with the weather going the right or wrong way.

PennyQuilts
05-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Prayer, to Christians, means different things to different people. For some, it is communion with their god seeking peace and direction. For others, it is pure worship and a connection with the almighty. For others, and I would suggest most, it is a version of magic in which you ask a god to intervene in the way you ask. There is a lot of overlap. Some more fundamentalist believers carry that last further with teaching that, as a child of god having abided by certain theological hoops, god is somehow contractually bound to do his part.

For what it is worth, I think there are times when the universe will intervene if it has certain plans that call for it. I do believe in miracles and if someone claims to see god's face in the lint trap, well, who am I to say otherwise? God works in mysterious ways, after all. From time to time, I feel his/her breath on my neck and it is always humbling and wondrous.

Cid
05-07-2014, 12:41 PM
How so?

I believe the "mysterious ways" comes from a poem and not the Bible.

The fact remains that God never promised anyone a rose garden. Sin
is the principal reason bad things happen to "good" people. Good
meaning those who are perceived as being good.
Translation: Bad things happen only to those that deserve it. Take no pity on people, especially all those people living on the streets.

I know, I know, here come the protestations. But this attitude can't be denied. It is prevalent.

Not every "good" person in bad positions are there because they are secretly bad people.

Cid
05-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Prayer, to Christians, means different things to different people. For some, it is communion with their god seeking peace and direction. For others, it is pure worship and a connection with the almighty. For others, and I would suggest most, it is a version of magic in which you ask a god to intervene in the way you ask. There is a lot of overlap. Some more fundamentalist believers carry that last further with teaching that, as a child of god having abided by certain theological hoops, god is somehow contractually bound to do his part.
...and for that matter, when their prayers aren't answered, or they don't get what they want, well, they must have done something wrong or don't believe strongly enough. Time to whip it up another notch.

For what it is worth, I think there are times when the universe will intervene if it has certain plans that call for it. I do believe in miracles and if someone claims to see god's face in the lint trap, well, who am I to say otherwise? God works in mysterious ways, after all. From time to time, I feel his/her breath on my neck and it is always humbling and wondrous.
Right...

PennyQuilts
05-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Translation: Bad things happen only to those that deserve it. Take no pity on people, especially all those people living on the streets.

I know, I know, here come the protestations. But this attitude can't be denied. It is prevalent.

Not every "good" person in bad positions are there because they are secretly bad people.

No, you don't understand the theological underpinnings of tying sin to hardship.

Most christian theology starts with the premise that God placed humans in a paradise where all their needs were met and about all he required of them was to obey him. He told them to not eat of the tree of knowledge, they did it anyway and after that, they were able to discern good from evil. They were tossed from the garden and out into the cold cruel world as a result of their disobedience and because, once knowing good from evil, they were capable of sin.

Sin, at its heart, is going against your conscience and you can't do that absent having a conscience. On the one hand, knowing something is wrong is a means to avoid doing it. On the other, being surrounded by temptation to do wrong builds up a hard heart that invariably leads to evil.

Sin begats sin, so the argument goes and unlike their parents, the children of Adam and Eve weren't raised in a paradise. They were raised by real, live, imperfect people who screwed up, acted out, etc. Each generation has been brought into a world full of imperfect, often violent, selfish people and that is the source of misery that strikes good and evil, alike. Moreover, no longer being in a paradise, the dangers of the natural world are also likely to harm good folk.

So it is not so much about bad people as it is about original sin. The notion of original sin is a basic christian tenet and if you don't understand that, you can't really understand where the christians are coming from.

As for your theory that the christians are actually saying that bad things only happening to people who deserve it, what you are talking about is much more akin to either a theory of reincarnation or the caste system in India. The notion behind the caste system is that based on how you live your life dictates what caste you will be born in in the next one. That is the underlying justification for castes in the first place. There is truly no overlap in these theologies and christianity.

I am sure a true biblical scholar could explain this better and more accurately but I am doing what I can, on memory to try to address the argument.

Architect2010
05-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Theologians term what appears capricious to humanity to be the "providential sovereignity of an omnipotent, omniscient God."

Don't forget the supposed omnibenevolence of such a deity...

I personally do not pray and I believe that it is very ignorant for Fallin to tell the masses to pray for rain, when there is no evidence at all that practicing prayer is going to allow you to be heard by some supernatural being. Let's remember that God is not the only deity that is worshipped on this planet either, or in Oklahoma for that matter. So not all people pray, not all people believe in the same being(s) as the creator of their universe, and some do not believe in religion at all.

HOWEVER, I do believe that if it comforts people and they truly believe in whatever power they pray to, then that is perfectly fine and I would encourage that for the INDIVIDUAL. I even find it very touching when someone offers to pray for me, even though I am a non-believer. Because I know they truly believe in the power of their prayer and if that power does indeed exist... Well at least I'm being thought of and looked after in some way beyond my own perception.

Thing is, I do not believe it politically correct for Fallin to tell the entirety of Oklahoma to "look to a higher power" and pray "to move the heart of God". Prayer is not for everyone, even in a state as religiously involved as Oklahoma. But political etiquette towards your constituents is probably for another thread, so... ;]

kelroy55
05-07-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm sure the masses prayed for rain during the Dust Bowl too. God must have been mad at them.

PennyQuilts
05-07-2014, 01:05 PM
I'm sure the masses prayed for rain during the Dust Bowl too. God must have been mad at them.

I sincerely prayed my sister would live when she was in the car wreck. She died anyway. At the time, I didn't think it was about god being mad at me but maybe I was wrong?

White Peacock
05-07-2014, 01:13 PM
All of you who are nitpicking diggyba's criticism of Christian ideas: he's obviously being critical not of the Bible (in this instance, anyway), but of common, modern Christian sentiment. And he's spot on with his criticism. Religious people (generally, not universally applied here) justify the results of their attempt to evoke God with either the graciousness and goodness of God for answering the prayer, or with the "oh well, it wasn't meant to be/the Lord works in mysterious ways," instead of using the common sense approach of "sometimes things happen, sometimes they don't."

Natural disasters are the result of natural processes (sometimes with the aid of human involvement, but not divine involvement). Tornadoes and such aren't punishment, and they're not statements. It seems wrathful to a small person in a big world who happens to be in the path of that tornado, but that's just a subjective impression.

Praying doesn't bring rain, otherwise the Dust Bowl wouldn't have happened.

Cid
05-07-2014, 01:20 PM
No, you don't understand the theological underpinnings of tying sin to hardship.

Most christian theology starts with the premise that God placed humans in a paradise where all their needs were met and about all he required of them was to obey him. He told them to not eat of the tree of knowledge, they did it anyway and after that, they were able to discern good from evil. They were tossed from the garden and out into the cold cruel world as a result of their disobedience and because, once knowing good from evil, they were capable of sin.

Sin, at its heart, is going against your conscience and you can't do that absent having a conscience. On the one hand, knowing something is wrong is a means to avoid doing it. On the other, being surrounded by temptation to do wrong builds up a hard heart that invariably leads to evil.

Sin begats sin, so the argument goes and unlike their parents, the children of Adam and Eve weren't raised in a paradise. They were raised by real, live, imperfect people who screwed up, acted out, etc. Each generation has been brought into a world full of imperfect, often violent, selfish people and that is the source of misery that strikes good and evil, alike. Moreover, no longer being in a paradise, the dangers of the natural world are also likely to harm good folk.

So it is not so much about bad people as it is about original sin. The notion of original sin is a basic christian tenet and if you don't understand that, you can't really understand where the christians are coming from.

As for your theory that the christians are actually saying that bad things only happening to people who deserve it, what you are talking about is much more akin to either a theory of reincarnation or the caste system in India. The notion behind the caste system is that based on how you live your life dictates what caste you will be born in in the next one. That is the underlying justification for castes in the first place. There is truly no overlap in these theologies and christianity.

I am sure a true biblical scholar could explain this better and more accurately but I am doing what I can, on memory to try to address the argument.
Yep, protestations right on queue.

Oh, no, I get it. I've heard all of this before many, many times.

It's an incredibly complex, and frankly twisted way to justify why things are the way they are. They took a simple concept and have created an incredibly complex world to justify why we must continue worshipping this sky fairy and continue to live under the yoke and evil deeds of someone long dead.

Its sick.

kelroy55
05-07-2014, 01:27 PM
I sincerely prayed my sister would live when she was in the car wreck. She died anyway. At the time, I didn't think it was about god being mad at me but maybe I was wrong?

I'm sorry for your loss.

kelroy55
05-07-2014, 01:30 PM
All of you who are nitpicking diggyba's criticism of Christian ideas: he's obviously being critical not of the Bible (in this instance, anyway), but of common, modern Christian sentiment. And he's spot on with his criticism. Religious people (generally, not universally applied here) justify the results of their attempt to evoke God with either the graciousness and goodness of God for answering the prayer, or with the "oh well, it wasn't meant to be/the Lord works in mysterious ways," instead of using the common sense approach of "sometimes things happen, sometimes they don't."

Natural disasters are the result of natural processes (sometimes with the aid of human involvement, but not divine involvement). Tornadoes and such aren't punishment, and they're not statements. It seems wrathful to a small person in a big world who happens to be in the path of that tornado, but that's just a subjective impression.

Unfortunately there are some 'religious leader types' that blame natural disasters on human sin.

Cid
05-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Please tell me this is a joke. I would rather you were being unfunny than to think you actually believe this.

hoya
05-07-2014, 01:38 PM
There are numerous examples in the Bible where people pray for things and those prayers are not granted. King David's son became ill, and David prayed and fasted for days for the child to recover, but the kid died. You're talking about David, maybe one of the top 5 most important people in the Bible. Sometimes the answer is no.

Prayer isn't supposed to be a magic lamp that grants wishes. Sometimes what it is supposed to grant is serenity and acceptance.

Dubya61
05-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Prayer is ineffective.

Pray for the bridge in Purcell and drive across it, I doubt that will go well. The state might be better off looking for actual water resources instead of encouraging prayer.

What a jerk.

Also, when you succeed, it's to his credit, when you fail, it's your own shortcomings. I want to see an MVP runner-up blame god for not winning....

I can't help but wonder why some appear to take such pleasure in denigrating others.

gjl
05-07-2014, 02:29 PM
I can't help but wonder why some appear to take such pleasure in denigrating others.

Every one of them will deny they do.

PennyQuilts
05-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Please tell me this is a joke. I would rather you were being unfunny than to think you actually believe this.

There is a big difference between a joke and sarcasm. I wasn't trying to be funny and to even think anyone who lost their sister would make that kind of joke is... unexpected.

My point, to the feckless ones who missed it, is that prayer is a great comfort to many people in times of joy as well as heartbreak. The grown ups among us know that without me saying it. To toss around clueless comments about god not liking the people if he doesn't answer their prayers is not something I would expect from anyone with an ounce of sensitivity.

I was a teen when it happened (as was she) and while it seems like yesterday and I miss her every day of my life, enough time has passed and I am mature enough to know that some people don't have a clue and you will never change them. Had someone tossed that sort of statement around in the midst of my grief, it would have landed on tender ears not as well equipped to realize you've have to be out of touch to say something like that. We all have our personal grief and are surrounded by people carrying their own loads. Never forget that when it comes to attacking something that gives them comfort.

PennyQuilts
05-07-2014, 03:04 PM

And it darn sure didn't have a thing to do with god being mad at them. But at the same time, I am also sure it brought them comfort. Why take that away?

PennyQuilts
05-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Yep, protestations right on queue.

Oh, no, I get it. I've heard all of this before many, many times.

It's an incredibly complex, and frankly twisted way to justify why things are the way they are. They took a simple concept and have created an incredibly complex world to justify why we must continue worshipping this sky fairy and continue to live under the yoke and evil deeds of someone long dead.

Its sick.

Hahahahha. Well, I agree with some of that. To say it is sick, however, is to take a step outside the the human condition and human history. People do what they can to make sense of things. That's just being human. I don't think it is pathological and I also don't think a lot of modern day people actually accept the theology of their ancestors except in broad sweeps. But you were discussing theology and I responded. Although you say you have heard it many times, you were making such odd arguments that it didn't sound like the lessons "took."

Cid
05-07-2014, 03:07 PM
There is a big difference between a joke and sarcasm. I wasn't trying to be funny and to even think anyone who lost their sister would make that kind of joke is... unexpected.

My point, to the feckless ones who missed it, is that prayer is a great comfort to many people in times of joy as well as heartbreak. The grown ups among us know that without me saying it. To toss around clueless comments about god not liking the people if he doesn't answer their prayers is not something I would expect from anyone with an ounce of sensitivity.

I was a teen when it happened (as was she) and while it seems like yesterday and I miss her every day of my life, enough time has passed and I am mature enough to know that some people don't have a clue and you will never change them. Had someone tossed that sort of statement around in the midst of my grief, it would have landed on tender ears not as well equipped to realize you've have to be out of touch to say something like that. We all have our personal grief and are surrounded by people carrying their own loads. Never forget that when it comes to attacking something that gives them comfort.
You think this was an attack? Not an attack at all.

You were being sarcastic. Good.

PennyQuilts
05-07-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you. It was a long time ago and, for what it is worth, I know you weren't trying to be hurtful.

PennyQuilts
05-07-2014, 03:09 PM

It's their religion.

PennyQuilts
05-07-2014, 03:11 PM
You think this was an attack? Not an attack at all.

You were being sarcastic. Good.

You attacked prayer. Read for comprehension.

onthestrip
05-07-2014, 03:11 PM

I see it as just pointing out hypocrisies.

Dubya61
05-07-2014, 03:14 PM
I see it as just pointing out hypocrisies.

Thank God we have the Hypocrisy Police out in force, then. Otherwise we all might forget that the world is populated with humans.

Chadanth
05-07-2014, 03:17 PM

I don't want to denigrate anyone. I want people to take responsibility for their own failures and enjoy their own successes. I want people to understand that action is infinitely more powerful than prayer.

Cid
05-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Hahahahha. Well, I agree with some of that. To say it is sick, however, is to take a step outside the the human condition and human history. People do what they can to make sense of things. That's just being human.
I respectfully disagree. This notion that people do what they can to make sense of things by twisting up the concept of sin is yet another perpetual excuse that keeps people's minds in the dark ages - a sickness that perpetuates across generations. Its time to shed these shackles and the only thing preventing us from doing so is the people that have vested interest in perpetuating these silly myths.

Although you say you have heard it many times, you were making such odd arguments that it didn't sound like the lessons "took."
It didn't take because is it twisted. It holds no water and is a testament to how far people/organizations are willing to go to keep humanity subdued and under control.

Don't worry - the idea of sin and original sin will change even more to keep up with the times. It just keeps getting harder and harder.

Dubya61
05-07-2014, 03:20 PM
I don't want to denigrate anyone. I want people to take responsibility for their own failures and enjoy their own successes. I want people to understand that action is infinitely more powerful than prayer.

Well, you've certainly got your work cut out for you, then, eh?

Cid
05-07-2014, 03:23 PM
You attacked prayer. Read for comprehension.
Got it. Thanks.

Dustin
05-07-2014, 03:25 PM

Thank you. This is exactly it. I wasn't quoting the bible, I was quoting family and friends from facebook... lol

Personally, I believe that prayer is futile. If god is omniscient and omnipresent, then he/she/it already knows what you are going to pray for a million years before you even think it.

But if prayer brings someone comfort in a time of need or lifts their spirits, then I'm all for it. Hell, I used to pray all the time when I was younger and it did help in some situations. I would get comfort knowing it's out of my control and in god's hands. But as I got older, this just seemed like a lazy solution to my problems.

I would much rather someone or myself go out and help someone in need instead of praying for them. But the sentiment is nice. When I'm visiting my grandma and we are hugging goodbye, she always says "You guys will be in my prayers tonight." The innocent and loving nature in which she says it always brings a smile to my face.

KenRagsdale
05-07-2014, 03:37 PM
There are four types of Christian prayer, generally speaking: intercessory, adoration, confession and thanksgiving. One prayer may incorporate any, or all, of the four forms. Intercessory prayer is an attempt to share with God your needs, or the needs of others. But it is also much more than that. Intercession involves taking hold of God's will, understanding God's will (if possible), and refusing to let go until His will comes to pass.

Cid
05-07-2014, 03:40 PM
There are four types of Christian prayer, generally speaking: intercessory, adoration, confession and thanksgiving. One prayer may incorporate any, or all, of the four forms. Intercessory prayer is an attempt to share with God your needs, or the needs of others. But it is also much more than that. Intercession involves taking hold of God's will, understanding God's will (if possible), and refusing to let go until His will comes to pass.
This is so bizarre. You need to share your needs with an omnipotent, all-knowing god through a prayer? Why?

Dubya61
05-07-2014, 03:43 PM
This is so bizarre. You need to share your needs with an omnipotent, all-knowing god through a prayer? Why?

Do you also find diaries and journals bizarre? Why put a recap of the day down on paper and then lock it away? Do you also rail against the purveyors of such devices?

Cid
05-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Do you also find diaries and journals bizarre? Why put a recap of the day down on paper and then lock it away? Do you also rail against the purveyors of such devices?
No, I don't. Are you saying they serve the same purpose? If so, why don't they start a diary or journal?

KenRagsdale
05-07-2014, 03:46 PM
In order to understand God's will in this, or that, particular situation.

Dubya61
05-07-2014, 03:52 PM
No, I don't. Are you saying they serve the same purpose? If so, why don't they start a diary or journal?

To the non-believer, they serve the same purpose.
Have you ever noticed that the prayers of today are often not at all like the "Lord's Prayer" wherein Jesus instructed his followers how to pray?

PennyQuilts
05-07-2014, 04:06 PM

Not big into cultural sensitivity, are you? You may find it bizarre but your ham fisted response is rude. I can only imagine how welcome you'd be at a pow wow or during morning prayers at Mecca.

Cid
05-07-2014, 04:10 PM
To the non-believer, they serve the same purpose.
Have you ever noticed that the prayers of today are often not at all like the "Lord's Prayer" wherein Jesus instructed his followers how to pray?
In my opinion, journals and diaries have a few purposes - to act as a way to reflect on your life, to provide a record of your actions and your reaction to events for you to remember and for others to understand, to provide a way for your descendants to have a glimpse into the origins of their ancestors.

Again, my opinion. I could see how, depending on HOW people pray, prayer might act as a way to reflect on their life.

But again, why in a "conversation" with god? Why not in a journal or diary? It would be much more useful even.

Cid
05-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Not big into cultural sensitivity, are you? You may find it bizarre but your ham fisted response is rude. I can only imagine how welcome you'd be at a pow wow or during morning prayers at Mecca.
My mission here would be different from my mission at a pow wow or morning prayers at Mecca.

Care to answer the question?

KenRagsdale
05-07-2014, 04:29 PM
My mission here would be different from my mission at a pow wow or morning prayers at Mecca.

Care to answer the question?

It is bizzare, Cid. Why would The Creator of all that is seen, or unseen, listen to my prayer? I can't say. But I, and Christians everywhere, believe it to be true. It may help you think of it as "spiritual illumination."