View Full Version : Need recommendation for replacing automotive A/C compressor...

SoonerDave
05-05-2014, 07:07 AM
My 10-year-old Buick's A/C is on the grumpy side, and the gauge numbers I'm seeing indicate I may be in need of a new compressor.

While I'm a reasonably ambitious do-it-yourselfer, I think this is something out of my baliwick. So I'm looking for a local garage/mech anyone might be able to recommend that can handle an A/C job like this. I know some garages do just general engine/chassis stuff, but the A/C side requires slightly different expertise...any recommendations welcome.

Prefer a source on the SW side if possible.

Thanks...

kevinpate
05-05-2014, 07:49 AM
My current go to guy can handle it if Norman works for you. The A/C went out on my old tank last summer (89 suburban fitted with a 95 replacement motor shortly before the 2004 purchase.) Put a new compressor in, found a better blower motor while we were at it. No complaints.

Terry's Auto, one street north of Gray off Peters at 201 Tonawah (maybe 211?)

HangryHippo
05-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Superior Auto Repair. Eddie Aponte. 1801 SE 44th, Bldg. B. He does great work and has fixed several cars for my family.

SoonerDave
05-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Norman would be doable if necessary, but it would be a hike - now someone around 44th would be ideal because it's not that far from work. Thanks for those and any other suggestions that might come!

gjl
05-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Corwine Auto in the old Moore Care Care building on 4th st in Moore does good work. I know Shane Corwine, the owner.

SoonerDave
05-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Corwine Auto in the old Moore Care Care building on 4th st in Moore does good work. I know Shane Corwine, the owner.

I took one of my old cars there YEARS ago and they did good work, but that the owner had sold out. Great to hear a reliable guy runs the place...very likely I'll give him a call...not far from home.

gjl
05-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Should always change the dryer and orifice tube with a new compressor too.

Some of the google hits still shows them at their old location. This shows all the new stuff. Home (http://corwineautomotive.com/home.html)

SoonerDave
05-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Should always change the dryer and orifice tube with a new compressor too.

Some of the google hits still shows them at their old location. This shows all the new stuff. Home (http://corwineautomotive.com/home.html)

Yeah, was reading some info about what you should do when you replace a compressor...not a cheap prospect. But I can't drive that thing this summer in our typical 100-plus heat - esp true if my daughter starts driving it.

Looks like a very promising possibility. Thanks!