View Full Version : KD MVP = NBA Championship?

OKCJapan
05-05-2014, 12:22 AM
Looks like the media is anticipating Durant's MVP award announcement this week. However, the side note to this is many people(non-media) are saying that LJ is still the better player and the reason given is because he has two rings. One person even said that that James said that Durant would not be an elite player until he wins a championship. I kind of think that one was made up. However, it does bring up a point.

If Lebron did not team up with what is now in Miami, then I wonder if he would have those two rings. In the EC there is some good players on each team. But the only Elite players are in Miami and the aged Nets. The rest of the great players were emptied out to the WC. This leaves Miami with almost a cake walk to the Finals every year. Certainly, not having to extend a huge amount of energy arriving to the Finals, while the WC foe is exhausted having battled through 3 grueling series. I could play the Grizzlies fan card and say the NBA is rigged to make sure Lebron stays at the top for the remainder of his career in the league, but I won't. There is a silver lining to all this. If (NBA/basketball fans outside Miami and NBA cities) see Miami win a couple of more championships then people are going to become disinterested in the NBA. That is bad for Silver and his growth model.

Anyways, If the Thunder can beat the Clippers in the semis, then I think they get through the Spurs or Portland. I hope the MVP can make a run and finally get a title this year.

dankrutka
05-05-2014, 12:55 AM
Misleading thread title...

Anyway, do you have any evidence ratings were down for the Jordan Bulls teams? I actually think interest was extremely high then. The NBA is a superstar league and it seems to do well with recognizable teams like the Heat. So, I guess I don't really concur with your premise.

But, I hope the Thunder can disrupt Miami's title run, but we've got a long way before even getting to that discussion...

OKCJapan
05-05-2014, 01:08 AM
THanks for your input. I had to think about it, and I edited the post because I may not be able to produce any evidence.

Laramie
05-05-2014, 10:40 AM
This theory that because someone has won an NBA championship shouldn't factor into the MVP award. There's no stipulation or prerequisite attached to the MVP award stating that you have to win a ring to get the MVP.

LeBron James teamed up with two other franchise players (Wade, Bosh) to win his ring. David Stern should have never allowed this trio (James, Wade & Bosh) to emerge--it is so unfair to smaller market teams like Memphis, New Orleans, Oklahoma City & Salt Lake City.

So, he (James) thinks that he should have a say in derailing KD's efforts? He wants to win the MVP himself every year--such selfishness tells me a lot about LeBron James' character--he's gotten greedy. Use to be a fan of LeBron James; now he's on my 'can't stand' list.

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

Sonny_Crockett
05-11-2014, 04:14 PM
It would be great if the Thunder could win the title this year but nobody could beat Miami except San Antonio. Thunder gave today's game away.

Laramie
05-11-2014, 04:35 PM
It would be great if the Thunder could win the title this year but nobody could beat Miami except San Antonio. Thunder gave today's game away.

We're capable of beating Miami in a seven game series.

We missed out on a great opportunity to return to OKC up 3-1. Really don't like saying this; Griffin, Jordon & Paul got by with a lot of no calls.

Durant needs to work on his passes when he's double-teamed; he had eight turnovers, one less than the Clippers total team turnovers. Players need to get open themselves open.

We have players who can't finish under the goal. Got to close out teams when we establish a big lead.

Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Los Angeles Clippers - Box Score - May 11, 2014 - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=400556257)

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

bhawes
05-11-2014, 07:12 PM
How come the MVP don't go to the post when Chris Paul is guarding him. Scott Brooks is a joke. As long as he the coach Thunder will never win a title.

Sonny_Crockett
05-13-2014, 01:07 PM
If the Thunder can miraculously win this series and possibly make it to the Finals, Scott Brooks' job will be safe.

OKCisOK4me
05-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Regardless, Scott Brooks' job is not in jeopardy. He's facing off this series against a team that has a better bench than ours and arguably a better coach. Both have coaching wits that you and I can't fathom even though we like to believe we do through the TV screen. Whether you like it or not, Brooks will be the coach of the Thunder next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonny_Crockett
05-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Looks like Brooks will get the axe Monday morning.

ljbab728
05-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Looks like Brooks will get the axe Monday morning.

I see. So the Thunder will be firing the coach that took the team to the Western Conference finals before it starts?

zookeeper
05-15-2014, 11:34 PM
I see. So the Thunder will be firing the coach that took the team to the Western Conference finals before it starts?

That's funny. With Sonny Crockett's reasoning, Pop better be worried when he strolls into the Spurs office on Monday.