View Full Version : Big 12 Football 2014

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ljbab728
11-29-2014, 05:40 PM
With the loss today by Mississippi State the Big 12 is still looking good for at least one and maybe two teams in the playoff. Baylor didn't help themselves today though with a narrow win over Tech. The SEC wags are still talking silliness anyway. I heard one today saying that if Mizzou happens to win the SEC they should be in the playoff. LOL

Happiness would be a playoff with no SEC.

bucfan1512
12-01-2014, 07:49 AM
With the loss today by Mississippi State the Big 12 is still looking good for at least one and maybe two teams in the playoff. Baylor didn't help themselves today though with a narrow win over Tech. The SEC wags are still talking silliness anyway. I heard one today saying that if Mizzou happens to win the SEC they should be in the playoff. LOL

Happiness would be a playoff with no SEC.

I'm not sure how Mizzou gets into top 4 even if they beat Bama. They were one of if not the lowest rated two loss team according to the committee. Are they really going to say that "well that was last week before they beat Bama." That is a lot of ground to move especially in one week this late in the year. I hope Mizzou does when and what LJ said happens. No SEC teams make it.

venture
12-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Interesting concern for the Big 12 tonight.

Ohio State is destroying Wisconsin. They are making a big case to jump TCU. However TCU did crush ISU tonight, but not really a strong candidate.

The other thing is that we might see the Big 12 not having a championship game, and no "one true champion" this year (regardless of what the conference commercials have pushed all year) biting TCU in the rear. If the committee says they are picking OSU over TCU because of that, I see it changing next year.

ljbab728
12-06-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm afraid you're right. We will find out on Sunday but I can certainly see the Big 12 getting shut out this year.

Spartan
12-07-2014, 02:22 PM
The Big 12 conference is going to have to change dramatically, and unfortunately there aren't very many good programs left to add.

dcsooner
12-07-2014, 03:22 PM
The Big 12 conference is going to have to change dramatically, and unfortunately there aren't very many good programs left to add.

Big 12lost two marquee teams 3 if you count Mo for who? Conference will not recover. Kansas, IASt, OSU and KSU most years, WV do not have the same respect as Tx AM, Neb or Mo. Baylor and TCU cannot make up for those losses. Conference NEVER will trump B10, PAC12, SEC and maybe even ACC head to head when selecting 4teams unless they go undefeated.

Laramie
12-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Why did the 2 Big XII teams get left out in the cold?

Ohio State was selected over Baylor and TCU.

Ohio State (12-1) lost to Virginia Tech (6-6) 35-21 in Columbus.

OSU lost at home.

Baylor lost to West Virginia (7-5) 41-27 in Morgantown,WV.
TCU (11-1) lost to Baylor (11-1) 61-58 in Waco, TX.

Baylor & TCU both lost on the road.

Like opponents: (01)

TCU defeated Minnesota in Fort Worth 30-7
OSU defeated Minnesota in Minneapolis 31-24

Four team NCAA playoffs:

January 1st (New Year's Day)

Alabama will play Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl at the Mercedes Benz New Orleans Superdome.
Oregon and Florida State at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA on New Years Day.

The winners of these games will play on January 12th in the NCAA College Football Championship Game at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Laramie
12-08-2014, 04:51 AM
Q: Who is on this committee?

A: The panel is made up of twelve members:

A: The panel is made up of twelve members: Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long, committee chairman; Southern California athletic director Pat Haden; Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich; Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez; West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck; former Nebraska coach Tom Osborne; former Stanford, Notre Dame and Washington coach Tyrone Willingham; former Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese; former NCAA vice president Tom Jernstedt; former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice; former USA Today sports writer Steve Wieberg and former Air Force superintendent and retired Lieutenant General Mike Gould. Former Mississippi quarterback Archie Manning was part of the committee, but recently had to step down because of some health issues. He will not be replaced.

Former Mississippi quarterback Archie Manning was part of the committee, but recently had to step down because of some health issues. He will not be replaced.

Source: Selection Sunday football style: Guide to first College Football Playoff selection process | Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/285002951.html)

Zuplar
12-08-2014, 10:07 AM
I've said it before will say it again. Let's add UCF and Cincy, add divisions and go back to playing a conference championship. Is it ideal, not really, but at this point we are going to run into this problem every year unless we have a team that goes undefeated and destroys some teams along the way.

Jersey Boss
12-08-2014, 10:42 AM
I've said it before will say it again. Let's add UCF and Cincy, add divisions and go back to playing a conference championship. Is it ideal, not really, but at this point we are going to run into this problem every year unless we have a team that goes undefeated and destroys some teams along the way.

If you add UCF, then add USF. No sense in travelling all over the country. Add Marshall and then you add a rivalry with WVU as a benefit.

OKCRT
12-08-2014, 12:30 PM
You don't add teams just to add teams. You start adding Marshall-UCF and soon you will be looked at like the old Big East. There just aren't any teams with enough cache to add to make it worth it. Remember when you add a team that they better bring enough tv sets to offset the cut in the pie. The BigXII is doomed I am afraid. Texas POed all the teams that left and now this is what we have. I also blame OU/Boren to some extent since they cowered to Texas at the winter meetings in Kansas City. There were 3-4 teams that wanted to take a stand against Texas but OU went right along with their master. Really pisses me off to watch what was once a great conference ran into the ground because Texas wanted more money than all the other teams. The other conferences split revenue evenly with all teams. Not Texas. Plus,Look at the SOS with the 4 teams that made the final 4 and then look at TCU/Baylors. That's all you really need to know to see why the Big XII is sitting at home.

OKCRT
12-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Some interesting Numbers.....

ACC - 8 - 76,290,251

B1G - 11 - 84,643,446

B12 - 5 - 38,137,438

PAC12 - 6 - 64,029,855

SEC - 11 - 93113,275

If TV revenue is the future of college football what do these numbers say for the B12? The first number is the number of unique states each conference is in. The second number is the total population number of those states.

The B12 has a problem with having four schools in the state of Texas. And they're one of two Power 5 conferences that are not fully "contiguous". Iowa State and West Virginia are on islands.

The other P5 conference that is not fully contiguous is the ACC and Boston College is the only school that is apart from the rest. All the other schools share at least one border.

The B1G, Pac12 and SEC are FULLY contiguous which is something I believe builds natural rivalries.

Now who could the B12 even invite to get them to 12, or more, schools AND even get close to the numbers that the B1G and SEC have today.

Remember the talk about the SEC adding a Virginia and North Carolina school? That would take the SEC over 111,000,000 people in their conference footprint.

You may not come to the same conclusion but if I was a B12 school NOT named OK or TX I'd be pretty concerned about the future of the conference.

Spartan
12-08-2014, 12:51 PM
You guys do realize that the polls had the Big 12 ranked second for most of the season? The perception of the Big 12 is very good as a small but strong conference. The problem is that it's a small sample size, we are the only shrinking conference (even if we've only lost programs that couldn't compete with us), and organizational structure and leadership does matter because the Playoff Committee wanted NO part in naming our champion.

For a conference that trumpeted one true champion all year long, our conference's leadership refused to settle the debate between co-champions. The reality is that TCU's only loss is on the road by a field goal to the #4/5 team in the land. Most conferences would've crowned Baylor in a "tie-breaker" that rewards the team with the worst loss and schedule, whereas our by-laws gave us a unique ability to forward TCU as the "highest bowl representative" vis a vis the AP poll.

If Bowlby would've gotten off his ass, proclaimed TCU and only TCU, and then congratulated TCU on finishing #3 and on top of the Big 12's bowl pecking order, this would have been over no matter what team Ohio State killed just before. And kudos to Ohio State for coming back from that early loss and coming to life down the stretch to destroy Michigan State and Wisconsin.

venture
12-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Couple thoughts.

Big 12 definitely has an audience problem. This means exposure to advertising and potential recruits is limited. I still like the idea of adding Cincinnati. They would pair well with WVU and also give us Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana to some extent. The problem becomes the 12th member. Colorado State isn't a horrible option and would probably be better for us than what CU was. Northern Illinois has been pretty dominant in the MAC and has been fairly decent. They would bring us the Chicago market, but I just don't see them leaving a stable MAC. Poaching any of the other Power 5 won't happen due to large penalties. The other option is do what the PAC couldn't.

Big X East - Cincinnati, WVU, ISU, KU, KSU, OSU, OU, TCU
Big X West - Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, BYU, San Diego State, Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor

It's not sexy at all, but it does bring mass exposure across the country for the conference. It brings us (to some point) exposure in Ohio, Kentucky, Colorado, California, and also the Intermountain west with BSU and BYU. Competitiveness might be an issue, especially with what would appear to be a weak Western division, but I think it would be doable. There is a decent balance. This season the teams in the East would have won less games than those in the West, but we all know that can turn around pretty quickly.

Let's also not discount the basketball exposure the conference would have as well with some pretty high quality teams in there - not that it means much. :-P

The other point I want to make is that...well the conference championship game is now front and center with the ADs...

Kansas AD: Big 12 discussing league championship game 'right now' - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24874865/kansas-ad-big-12-discussing-conference-championship-game-right-now)

Something needs to change though. Conference needs to grow or die. Like others have said, just because a team is bad now doesn't mean it will always stay that way. Nor does it mean a team will always stay good.

PWitty
12-08-2014, 09:55 PM
It's an absolute joke that tOSU got into the playoff. The B1G was easily the weakest power conference in football this year. Aside from tOSU, the next best teams in the B1G were MSU and Wiscy. MSU and Wiscy BARELY had a combined ONE win (Wiscy over #25 Minn) against the current top-25, yet somehow both of them were ranked in the top 13 going into Championship weekend. And those two teams were tOSU's two best wins this season! Jesse Palmer even said it on the Selection Show, but OSU and WVU (who both finished in the bottom half of the Big 12) would've competed and probably WON the B1G East. Then there's the fact that tOSU lost at home, by 2 touchdowns, to a team that finished 6-6 this year. That SCREAMS Top 4 resume to me! :hammer: I know I have my Big 12 fan goggles on, but the logic that these guys used to say that tOSU is better than Baylor/TCU just blows my mind.

If the Big 12 expands, I can't see them adding sub-par athletics programs. They've stated numerous times that they don't want to grow just for the sake of growing. What they will do, for now, is restructure their scheduling and how they decide league champs.

Our 3 best teams (Baylor, TCU, and KState) are going to get their shots at some of the top teams from the B1G, SEC, and Pac 12, respectively. And I feel pretty comfortable with our chances in those 3 games.

PWitty
12-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Even more mind blowing? Exactly 1 week ago ESPN Stats updated their conference rankings and proclaimed the Big 12 to be the country's best conference over the SEC. Yet neither of the Big 12 "Co-Champs" made it into the Playoff...

Conference Power Rankings (http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/99397/power-rankings-big-12-not-sec-is-no-1)

ljbab728
12-08-2014, 10:18 PM
And here is something to consider.

After Big 12 snub, Notre Dame evaluating its future playoff chances | CSN Chicago (http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/after-big-12-snub-notre-dame-evaluating-its-future-playoff-chances)

I know that Notre Dame has a semi-affiliation with the ACC but do you think they might be in play for the Big 12 now?

venture
12-08-2014, 10:57 PM
And here is something to consider.

After Big 12 snub, Notre Dame evaluating its future playoff chances | CSN Chicago (http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/after-big-12-snub-notre-dame-evaluating-its-future-playoff-chances)

I know that Notre Dame has a semi-affiliation with the ACC but do you think they might be in play for the Big 12 now?

If ND comes in play now, that would be great. Pair them with Cincinnati and call it good. However, I don't know if they can break away from the ACC - not sure of the terms of their agreement.

ljbab728
12-08-2014, 11:31 PM
If ND comes in play now, that would be great. Pair them with Cincinnati and call it good. However, I don't know if they can break away from the ACC - not sure of the terms of their agreement.

Well, venture, you surely know how much college football agreements mean if a school wants to do something different. Especially someone like Notre Dame. ;)

Jersey Boss
12-09-2014, 09:12 AM

CHAPEL HILL: Notre Dame agrees to join ACC's ranks | College | NewsObserver.com (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/12/2336452/swofford-welcomes-fighting-irish.html)
How the deal was done

More than anything, the addition of Notre Dame is expected to solidify the ACC, whose member institutions approved raising the league’s exit fee to at least $50 million.

Swofford said Wednesday represented the end point of discussions between the ACC and Notre Dame that began long ago.

Swarbrick said the discussions gained momentum after Pitt and Syracuse announced they were leaving the Big East for the ACC. Had there been a turning point along the way, a moment when Swofford felt confident that Notre Dame would join the ACC?

“I’m not sure I can tell you when that moment was,” Swofford said.

“But I think the issue really was about full membership for us. They’re keeping their football independence. And when we got to a point where we felt like they could keep their football independence, we could have five football games on an annual basis, year-in and year-out that would rotate through our entire membership, then you’re talking about something that is a win-win.”

Notre Dame had long been seen as an elusive prize for any conference, even only as a partial member.

That Notre Dame was willing to join the ACC and play more than half of a conference schedule worth of football games is, Corrigan said, “a huge thing.”

Finalizing the deal wasn’t easy, though. Swarbrick spoke of hurdles, and he and Swofford shared discussions at BCS meetings and other events. There was negotiation, compromise and, finally, a deal. The ACC hastily put together a news conference, which began about two hours after the announcement Wednesday morning.

It had been a tumultuous five months for the ACC, with negative speculation surrounding the conference. At one point, Florida State and Clemson were rumored to be leaving for the Big 12 Conference, and a story published in Forbes magazine in May predicted the ACC’s demise.

Now, Swofford said, “I don’t know why there would be any rumors.”

He sounded happy to say it – and with good reason, given the ACC had finalized a deal it had long hoped would become reality.

Read more here: CHAPEL HILL: Notre Dame agrees to join ACC's ranks | College | NewsObserver.com (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/12/2336452/swofford-welcomes-fighting-irish.html#storylink=cpy)

Jersey Boss
12-09-2014, 09:19 AM
I think the main question to analyze is whether or not it is in the interest of OU to either join another conference or is it a better deal to cobble together a conference of 12 teams and who would those teams be. Seems to this poster that joining the SEC would be a sure thing in the areas of revenue and stability. Patching a conference together of mainly schools from Texas and an equal amount of schools from far flung locales that have weak TV demographics as well just does not seem to be a long term solution. As far as getting Notre Dame, " dream on Alice". BTW, Cincinnati currently plays in a stadium that seats 35K. Is this the sort of program that would be a welcome addition? Just how much interest in college athletics does this city have, or is it a pro town?

bucfan1512
12-09-2014, 09:30 AM
The hard part about adding new schools as so many have mentioned is why are they being added in the first place. If it is just to get us to 12 than that is the wrong reason. They have to be added to make the conference better as a whole and not just in one sport. Right now no addition is going to be passed that causes anyone to lose revenue sharing from where it is now.

Cincy is a solid addition but they also are firmly in tOSU territory and I am not sure how much money they will bring with them to get support from everyone. A nice change from what people have been suggesting might be Memphis. They are a solid basketball power and give us a nice footprint it SEC territory. There football program is trending in the right direction but that is the problem. Who knows if the trend will continue or if there on a roller coaster.

I have to agree with Jersey though. In the long run I think the answer is going to be the dissolving of the BIG 12 and teams joining the other Power conferences. A nice topic might be who should go where?

OKCRT
12-09-2014, 09:52 AM
The sec would prob take OU but not osu. So there's an issue right there. Plus OU would have to break away from Texas because the sec will not take Texas. If OU left the BigXII would finally crumble IMO. Texas needs to be an Independant because they don't like being = partners. I am sure the other teams could find a landing spot.

Jersey Boss
12-09-2014, 10:26 AM
The sec would prob take OU but not osu. So there's an issue right there. Plus OU would have to break away from Texas because the sec will not take Texas. If OU left the BigXII would finally crumble IMO. Texas needs to be an Independant because they don't like being = partners. I am sure the other teams could find a landing spot.

Probably so as the SEC is not taking multiple schools from the same state. How much is OU willing to forsake though for the benefit of OSU? Do you think Texas will do what is in their best interest or will they forsake what is better for them so as to preserve this glorified SWC? Keep in mind that OU v. Texas was being played long before both were in the same conference. Everyone said TAM would die and flounder without UT, which proved false. If OU went to the SEC that could very well give OSU an opportunity to join the PAC 12 or ACC or Big 10, and not have those conferences in the position of taking 2 or none. OU and OSU need to do what is best for their interest and not worry about their sibling.

bucfan1512
12-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Probably so as the SEC is not taking multiple schools from the same state. How much is OU willing to forsake though for the benefit of OSU? Do you think Texas will do what is in their best interest or will they forsake what is better for them so as to preserve this glorified SWC? Keep in mind that OU v. Texas was being played long before both were in the same conference. Everyone said TAM would die and flounder without UT, which proved false. If OU went to the SEC that could very well give OSU an opportunity to join the PAC 12 or ACC or Big 10, and not have those conferences in the position of taking 2 or none. OU and OSU need to do what is best for their interest and not worry about their sibling.

Sadly I do agree. I think OU would be welcomed into the SEC while OSU would most likely go to the PAC 12. I think the PAC 12 would also try and add Kansas for the basketball program alone.

bucfan1512
12-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Big 12 options: What are league's choices after playoff snub? - College Football - SI.com (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/09/big-12-college-football-playoff-future-options)

Good article that gives a few ideas how to avoid this next year and keep 10 teams.

OKCRT
12-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Big 12 options: What are league's choices after playoff snub? - College Football - SI.com (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/09/big-12-college-football-playoff-future-options)

Good article that gives a few ideas how to avoid this next year and keep 10 teams.

Does anyone really think the rest of the Power 5 conferences would give a 10 team BigXII the go ahead to play a championship game? I really doubt they would. Why would they? These other conferences are not out to help the BigXII. They would simply tell them to add a couple more teams to get compliant with the rules IMO.

bucfan1512
12-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Does anyone really think the rest of the Power 5 conferences would give a 10 team BigXII the go ahead to play a championship game? I really doubt they would. Why would they? These other conferences are not out to help the BigXII. They would simply tell them to add a couple more teams to get compliant with the rules IMO.

That was the part that worries me as well. But apparently it is being brought up this off season we will see if they want to keep the big 12 locked out or change a rule that was made 30 years ago for division II programs.

venture
12-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Talks with Cincinnati already underway...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/big-12-reportedly-met-with-cincinnati-before-playoff-was-finalized-160133203.html

td25er
12-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Big 12lost two marquee teams 3 if you count Mo for who? Conference will not recover. Kansas, IASt, OSU and KSU most years, WV do not have the same respect as Tx AM, Neb or Mo. Baylor and TCU cannot make up for those losses. Conference NEVER will trump B10, PAC12, SEC and maybe even ACC head to head when selecting 4teams unless they go undefeated.

OU and Texas need to stop sucking. That is the problem. Northwestern and Illinois won't get the benefit of the doubt that Ohio St does. TCU and Baylor aren't getting the benefit of the doubt that OU and Texas will get.

WVU and TCU are perfectly fine additions. TCU has already matched the combined conference championships of A&M and Mizzou's entire Big 12 run.

Jersey Boss
12-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Looking back on the last 5 years, I don't think Texas will get the benefit of the doubt. As for the last few years of looking at where OU starts at the beginning of the season and where they finish, they could be wearing out this privilege as well.

OKCRT
12-11-2014, 10:01 PM
OU and Texas need to stop sucking. That is the problem. Northwestern and Illinois won't get the benefit of the doubt that Ohio St does. TCU and Baylor aren't getting the benefit of the doubt that OU and Texas will get.

WVU and TCU are perfectly fine additions. TCU has already matched the combined conference championships of A&M and Mizzou's entire Big 12 run.

You are not comparing apples to apples. When the BigXII was intact it was the best conference not named the sec and there really wasn't any doubts. The BigXII today does not in any way compare to what it was when Col.-A&M-Neb-Mizzou were part of it. Now we have a conference full of weak teams besides Baylor & TCU.

If I were OU I would be exploring my options. I had heard rumors that KU was looking to the BigX last year if things started falling apart. Now that the BigX has Neb they can take KU according to their rules. But KU is looking to basketball because they could really care less about football. The BigX would be a fit for them. It seems to me that OU would really only have one option and that would be the sec. I know Stoops doesn't want that move because of the competition but if there has to be a move that is where they will end up IMO.

Jersey Boss
12-12-2014, 11:18 AM
^ If Stoops is 'fraid of the competition, maybe the All America Conference would be a better fit. Looks like the completion in this league was a little tough on him this year.

OKCRT
12-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Texas & OU want the path of least resistance to a national championship game. The BigXII offers that over the sec. The problem with their thinking was they didn't think TCU & Baylor would become the powers of the conference. In a normal BigXII it would be either OU or Texas to claim a shot at the title but that just hasn't been the case recently,has it. Now after the landscape has changed the best players are going to the sec. Even the sec east is getting higher rated players than the BigXII and it's just a matter of time before the sec east starts knocking on Bama's door. Take a look at Rivals recruits and compare the 2 conferences and you will see what I mean. These sec teams are loaded with 4-5 star recruits. I bet if OU moved to the sec that their recruiting would also pick up. Also look at the NFL draft and the NFL as a whole. The sec is the clear winner there as well.

ljbab728
12-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Well you would have to say that the Big 12 bowl season is off to an embarrassing and resounding thud. Texas is almost looking worse than OU did today, if that is possible.

Urbanized
12-30-2014, 05:26 AM
Hopefully in light of the Big 12 (now neither big or 12) showing this season, Bob Stoops will keep his damned trap shut about relative conference strength and spend his time concentrating on righting the Titanic that OU football has become.

dcsooner
12-30-2014, 07:01 AM
BIG 12 is a dead league. TCU and Baylor are likely to lose as well, even if they win the leagues "Marque" teams are Baylor and TCU. Nuf said. This conference along with OU are pathetic but Texas will bounce back because of their access to talent

Just the facts
12-30-2014, 07:25 AM
I have to disagree about the Texas bouncing back comment - they are a historically underperforming team. In fact, they have done less with more than any other team in football.

Jersey Boss
12-30-2014, 08:54 AM
BIG 12 is a dead league. TCU and Baylor are likely to lose as well, even if they win the leagues "Marque" teams are Baylor and TCU. Nuf said. This conference along with OU are pathetic but Texas will bounce back because of their access to talent

You mean the talent that is choosing A&M and the SEC over Texas? Texas can't offer a quality recruit anything that A&M can't, other than playing in a "bus league".

venture
12-31-2014, 09:38 PM

Likely to lose? Ooops.

Good day for the Big 12 finally in bowls...with TCU absolutely embarrassing former Number 1 Ole Miss. How 'bout that SEC West? Miss State going down in flames tonight.

ljbab728
12-31-2014, 09:47 PM
Likely to lose? Ooops.

Good day for the Big 12 finally in bowls...with TCU absolutely embarrassing former Number 1 Ole Miss. How 'bout that SEC West? Miss State going down in flames tonight.
Agreed. Bowl games, by their very nature, are notorious for upsets and unexpected results. As for dcsooner's marquee Big 12 teams, the same could be said about Mississippi and Mississippi State. Just like Baylor and TCU, they have had a few good years but are normally afterthoughts nationally. The SEC has now lost 3 straight bowl games and 2 of those were surprise blowouts. Does that make the SEC pathetic?

Jake
01-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Haha, Baylor.

venture
01-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Well at least we know TCU belonged. LOL

dcsooner
01-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Well at least we know TCU belonged. LOL

Baylor belonged as well. This one hurt, Baylor was the better team but very unlucky breaks cost them.

kelroy55
01-02-2015, 07:08 AM
Hopefully in light of the Big 12 (now neither big or 12) showing this season, Bob Stoops will keep his damned trap shut about relative conference strength and spend his time concentrating on righting the Titanic that OU football has become.

I wonder how long OU will keep Stoops if the team doesn't get better. Nebraska has fired two coaches that had 9+ win seasons each year because it wasn't good enough, that and some politics going on.

td25er
01-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Charlie Strong will have Texas back on top of the Big 12. He is the real deal.

Laramie
01-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Charlie Strong will have Texas back on top of the Big 12. He is the real deal.

He's the real deal for sure. Does Texas have the patience for one or two more losing seasons? A 31-7 lost to Arkansas in Houston doesn't help recruits; not that UT needs them.

Texas Longhorns get the top blue chippers every year; Strong's honeymoon is over; results will be expected next season.

mugofbeer
01-02-2015, 09:32 PM

Yeah. That's right. OU has never been able to recruit or bring in talent. It's only had a great program for a year or two and won't have the ability to bounce back. It's never had good teams in the past and has never had down periods. The best times were under Schnellenberger and Blake. Too bad they've kept Stoops on staff for so long considering the total lack of success he's had.

Jake
01-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Why is it likely that Texas will bounce back because of money and talent? They've done the least with the most for ages.

ljbab728
01-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Why is it likely that Texas will bounce back because of money and talent? They've done the least with the most for ages.

Maybe he means they will bounce back to their normal status, which doesn't mean much. LOL

ljbab728
01-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Congrats to OSU for avoiding the 4th quarter collapse that many bowl teams endured this year.