View Full Version : Oklahoma in the New York Times - Vaporland

zookeeper
04-28-2014, 04:39 PM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, I hope I'm not duplicating.

Oklahoma made the front page of the Sunday New York Times business section yesterday with an article headlined "Vaporland." Fascinating.

Here's the online version: When Vapor Comes Sweeping Down the Plain (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/business/e-cigarettes-take-hold-in-oklahoma.html?_r=0).

PennyQuilts
04-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Business is booming, for sure.

I've had some of my parents in guardian ad litem cases getting their smoking teens e-cigs in a desperate attempt to get them off smoking. They mean well.

ylouder
04-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Ive seen more people finally and successfully quit smoking with e-cigs than anything else. More power to them.

mkjeeves
04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
As Mr. Gore rang up her orange-flavored e-juice, he suggested that she get involved politically to help vapers shape policy and prevent a state tax on the devices. His group includes 17 stores and has hired a lobbyist to push an agenda to protect the industry from cigarettelike regulations. He doesn’t want indoor smoking bans. “What’s the point?” he asked. “If there was risk to human health, I could see it, but since there’s not, there’s really no need for it.” Trouble is, health officials warn that e-cigarette vapor could be harmful to children and developing fetuses. Mr. Gore also objects to an excise tax, which he said would raise prices and hurt demand.

This weekend I noticed The Wedge has a sign on the door saying no E-Cigs, the first sign like that I've run across.

Cocaine
04-28-2014, 08:02 PM
I thought their was an cig boom every where. I guess this is good as long as more people quit smoking actual cigarette's. If this trend continues it's really gonna save a lot of peoples lives.

Snowman
04-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Given the rate of smoking was well know to be on the high side of the national average for a long time, it is not surprising we would have a higher rate of e-cigs as well. I know a few people have said that it has made a difference allowing them to quit cigarettes on this board, have we started seeing and statistical significant changes in the overall smoking rate in the last year?

I thought their was an cig boom every where.

It probably is, several thousand stores across the country from none a few years ago. Since 50 are in Tulsa my first guess is either they got some successes early that others copied, had an entrepreneur who found a backer with money early that funded expansion or an established store picked it up in their product line in a major way.

Achilleslastand
04-29-2014, 12:05 AM
Seems like I cant drive a mile without seeing a store with the name vapor in it.....that and Chinese massage joints. They seem to pop up and multiply like roaches.

Pete
04-29-2014, 08:15 AM
E-cigs in California now have the exact same restrictions as regular cigarettes, so their appeal out here isn't strong.

Don't hardly see any vapor shops, etc.

Roger S
04-29-2014, 08:34 AM
This weekend I noticed The Wedge has a sign on the door saying no E-Cigs, the first sign like that I've run across.

I saw that too and was happy to see it..... I enjoy the scent of someones vapor with my meal about as much as I enjoyed the scent of cigarette smoke with a meal.

RadicalModerate
04-29-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm not interested in getting into The E-Cig/Vaping thing, yet I have to wonder why so many "do-gooders" are so intent on coming down on the practice with a sledgehammer. Is it one of those, "We just hate to see a free person doing what they like to do because it implies they are out of our control"? I can understand folks not wanting their dinner or whatever disturbed by one of my Pall Mall Lights or Baccarat Cigars but "Vaping"? WTF???

Seems to me like it's another one of those oxymoronical "Liberal [not]" deals.

As I said, I don't have a dog in this fight, but it's another example of the type of total B.S. that has been running our country into the ground for that past several decades. (imho)

Roger S
04-29-2014, 11:58 AM
... I can understand folks not wanting their dinner or whatever disturbed by one of my Pall Mall Lights or Baccarat Cigars but "Vaping"? WTF???
)

It's simple.... If I wanted grape, or sour apple, or whatever the flavor du jour of the evening is. I would order it as part of my meal..... I suppose the alternative is I could just let a nice fart to return the favor of imposing their smells upon my meal..... The difference is I have respect for my fellow diners.

For me it's not much different than someone wearing too much cologne/perfume in a public setting. If I can't taste my meal due to an odor coming from another table. Then I am going to take issue with it.

Rover
04-29-2014, 12:01 PM
It isn't a product of do-gooders. It is a business decision. If restaurants think their business will suffer by allowing vaping I am sure they will restrict. Vaping isn't a "right". If there is no law prohibiting it, it is merely their choice of how to do business. Obviously some think it negatively affects their patrons and their business.

Snowman
04-29-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm not interested in getting into The E-Cig/Vaping thing, yet I have to wonder why so many "do-gooders" are so intent on coming down on the practice with a sledgehammer. Is it one of those, "We just hate to see a free person doing what they like to do because it implies they are out of our control"? I can understand folks not wanting their dinner or whatever disturbed by one of my Pall Mall Lights or Baccarat Cigars but "Vaping"? WTF???

Seems to me like it's another one of those oxymoronical "Liberal [not]" deals.

As I said, I don't have a dog in this fight, but it's another example of the type of total B.S. that has been running our country into the ground for that past several decades. (imho)

Right now there is no reason for non-vapors to be any happier about sitting next to someone doing that than smoking, from a distance you might not be able to tell the difference. 2nd hand vapor may still have negative effects on health, building cleanness and air quality. Just because the manufactures said people would be able to do it where they could not smoke does not make it true.

RadicalModerate
04-29-2014, 01:09 PM
It's simple.... If I wanted grape, or sour apple, or whatever the flavor du jour of the evening is. I would order it as part of my meal..... I suppose the alternative is I could just let a nice fart to return the favor of imposing their smells upon my meal..... The difference is I have respect for my fellow diners.

For me it's not much different than someone wearing too much cologne/perfume in a public setting. If I can't taste my meal due to an odor coming from another table. Then I am going to take issue with it.

Once again, you looked at a situation from an angle that I hadn't considered.
Thanks for that. It is perfectly clear to me, now, that Vaping--just like cigarette/cigar smoking--could ruin another person's dinner. They say that one eats first with their eyes. Right behind that is the sense of smell. Vaping can definitely be overwhelming in that regard. I sit corrected, educated, and enlightened. Again: Thank You.

(you had me at the "respect for my fellow diners" part. something perhaps as rare these days as so-called "Common Sense")

kevinpate
04-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Simple truth ... some vapor scents are not at all pleasing, irrespective of the orifice from which the scent may be discharged.

White Peacock
04-29-2014, 03:21 PM
I haven't had a cigarette in nearly two years -- I've exclusively vaped to get my nicotine since then. It's a pretty fantastic replacement for smoking. Being able to emulate the sensory components of smoking, using a vapor product, has kept me away from tobacco and allowed me to maintain my sanity at the same time. The success I'd had with patches in the past has been temporary. I'd kick the habit for a while, but the cravings eventually would build up to the point of frustrations and off I'd go to the convenience store, beginning the cycle yet again.

Now my only lung issues are dependent upon the level of airborne allergens at any given time, and I don't smell like sh*t.

As far as regulation, I'm all for common sense. Keep it away from kids, ensure that the ingredients going into the liquids are all safe, as well as the tools that the liquid touches. What I don't like is how much of this controversy has been stirred up by RJ Reynolds. They've been throwing money at local and state politicians all over the US to introduce legislation that intends to hurt the industry, because the industry is harming RJ Reynolds' bottom line.

RadicalModerate
04-29-2014, 05:07 PM
^#16: Another point well taken, Sir. I used to get a bit peeved about the regulation of tobacco use and how it trampled on my rights. Now, I realize that my "rights" were "wrongs" . . . in a way. Thank you for the well considered reminder of the facts of the matter. (no kidding, no joke, no snark . . . in case you momentarily doubted my sincerity here.)

gjl
04-29-2014, 07:18 PM

I would love to see no perfume/cologne signs on restaurant doors. I don't know what it is with some women who think they have to wear so much cologne. Even worse when it is your waitress that has too much perfume on. I've had many meals ruined by overpowering perfume close to my table.

zookeeper
04-29-2014, 07:23 PM
I would love to see no perfume/cologne signs on restaurant doors. I don't know what it is with some women who think they have to wear so much cologne. Even worse when it is your waitress that has too much perfume on. I've had many meals ruined by overpowering perfume close to my table.

Very good. Point taken. Are we going to legislate, not just odors that are harmful (tobacco smoke), but scents from all sources? Very good point, really.

gjl
04-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Lots of people have scent allergies. My wife being one of them. Strong perfume scents can cause anything from severe headaches to sinus congestion if exposed to them long enough.

RadicalModerate
04-30-2014, 02:24 PM
How about "They" set up some sort of "Diningland Security" checkpoint just inside the door of any restaurant worth visiting that monitors "Odor/Aroma Output"--from the visitor to the establishment--and adds a charge to their bill accordingly? I'm sure the technology is available for this . . . it's probably simply a matter of a lack of will--or won't--power.

If we lived a proper feudal society Prince Machiavelli would probably put a stop to this outrage yesterday. =)
P7F-dulMPmk

PennyQuilts
04-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Who uses heavy perfume? Young girls trying to catch a man (the ones who need help the least) and old ladies - god knows what is really going on with that. I hate heavy perfume. Makes my gum taste funny.

RadicalModerate
04-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Who uses heavy perfume? Young girls trying to catch a man (the ones who need help the least) and old ladies - god knows what is really going on with that. I hate heavy perfume. Makes my gum taste funny.

Imagine what it does to a perfectly prepared skillet o' scallops or an organic sear-roasted pork tenderloin with fresh herbs. =)
I don't Vape or Smoke in Restaurants. My BBQ Advisor, above, caused an epiphany of sorts. About smoking and/or vaping.

mkjeeves
05-06-2014, 05:10 PM
There's a new No Vaping sticker on the front door of my local Homeland.

OKCretro
05-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Way too many hipsters and wanna be hipsters in okc, once vaping becomes so mainstream the hipsters will stop.

One doesn't "need" nicotine, one wants it.

Stop cold turkey it's the easiest, if you need suggestions I can help, I quit dipping several years ago cold turkey

Prunepicker
05-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Has anyone ever visited New York outside of NYC or the "beautiful" towns?

Talk about backwoods hicks. Unless you've been to the rural area of NY
don't call Oklahoma backwoods. That goes for Vermont, Massachusetts
and Connecticut, too. They definitely have the concession on being
backwoods.

ctchandler
05-07-2014, 08:35 AM
And don't forget Maine, they should be right at the top of the list. Great folks, beautiful country and coast line and a lot of "country" folks.
C. T.