View Full Version : Festival La 29

ljbab728
04-22-2014, 10:49 PM
This sounds like a great fun afternoon on the south side. I wasn't even aware it happened last year.

Street festival to celebrate children, Oklahoma City's Hispanic community | News OK (http://newsok.com/street-festival-to-celebrate-children-oklahoma-citys-hispanic-community/article/4303333)

A half-mile stretch of SW 29 Street will be closed Sunday afternoon for an outdoor festival that is expected to draw about 15,000 people.

The event is called Festival La 29 using the Spanish pronunciation for the street name — veintinueve. Featuring everything from clowns and youth boxing matches to live Latin music and food, the event will celebrate “El Dia del Nino” or “Day of the Child” commonly observed in many Spanish-speaking countries in April to celebrating childhood and the well-being of children.

Fantastic
04-23-2014, 07:53 PM
This is really awesome... I've been doing a lot of research for a blog I want to start about OKC districts, and I haven't been able to find much info about La 29, other than from okc.gov (which doesn't have much), but I think this area has a lot of potential. Capitol Hill is commonly (and erroneously) considered THE center of Hispanic culture in OKC. While Capitol Hill and La 29 are right next to each other and share many characteristics, the reality is that the Hispanic cultural center is La 29 as Capitol Hill itself embraces a much more mixed cultural heritage. 29th Street has the potential to be the Hispanic equivalent to Classen (Asian District). Street festivals like this are a great start.