View Full Version : World Cup 2014

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Pete
04-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Can't wait!

2uEpcfonkt4

Lance_the_Red
04-21-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm excited, too. I'll be in Dallas for the opening weekend, but I've already found places to sit on Saturday to catch some games...

AP
04-21-2014, 07:38 PM
When I first saw that a couple weeks ago, I probably watched it ten times in a row. Get chills every time.

HangryHippo
04-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Can't wait for Brazil!

borchard
04-22-2014, 05:11 AM
So looking forward to it!

elitespy
04-22-2014, 07:23 AM
I wish we could all learn this chant before the world cup, but I think it's just too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYMXjON4SNw

boitoirich
04-23-2014, 01:29 AM
My first World Cup was late in the game. It was 2006, about a year after I moved to Taipei. A lot of the expats were meeting a various pubs and sports bars with flags and jerseys of their home countries. I remember not caring about football, but hearing all month about how the Americans were going to get slaughtered. I had enough of that talk, so I bought a red, white, and blue jersey and made a point to head to a bar to watch the match against Italy. A 9-man team went on to tie the Italians 1-1. I could not believe how insanely hard I celebrated.

bradh
05-02-2014, 08:29 PM
My first World Cup was late in the game. It was 2006, about a year after I moved to Taipei. A lot of the expats were meeting a various pubs and sports bars with flags and jerseys of their home countries. I remember not caring about football, but hearing all month about how the Americans were going to get slaughtered. I had enough of that talk, so I bought a red, white, and blue jersey and made a point to head to a bar to watch the match against Italy. A 9-man team went on to tie the Italians 1-1. I could not believe how insanely hard I celebrated.

That was such an incredible game, we were absolutely jobbed in that game with those calls. McBride was such a warrior.

elitespy
05-22-2014, 05:26 PM
No Donovan in the squad, I have mixed feelings about this

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/469591998039863296/photo/1

DavidD_NorthOKC
05-22-2014, 05:48 PM
No Donovan in the squad, I have mixed feelings about this

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/469591998039863296/photo/1

Same here - definitely a changing of the guard beginning.

Stan Silliman
05-22-2014, 10:21 PM
FIFA WORLD CUP FANS: SURVIVAL TIPS

Sao Paolo police advice to FIFA World Cup fans “Don’t scream.”

Telling soccer fans not to scream is like telling the Marlboro Man to quit smoking, Elvis not to gyrate, Miley Cyrus not to twerk. Soccer fans are born to scream. But, in this case in picturesque Sao Paolo, not screaming could save your life… while you’re getting mugged, which may happen, make that more than likely will happen… by Brazilian robbers.

The Sao Paolo police printed a brochure painting a picture of city life in Sao Paolo… you get robbed, you keep your mouth shut, you live. You go all crazy, scream at your muggers, as many have, then the muggers get hot tempered and shoot you. In other words, there’s not a policeman on every corner, so don’t expect them come to your rescue. It says so in their brochure.

You know what else it should say in their brochure? Don’t come. Don’t get robbed. Don’t get trampled by hundreds of thousands of protestors. Protestors are not happy so much money is being spent on unfinished stadiums instead of social services. Don’t come to the half built stadiums where you may or may not get a ticket depending on how many seats are installed by match time. And if you do come, don’t walk around with fancy watches and bulging wallets. Also, don’t hit on the beautiful half dressed women on the streets, fantastically beautiful but also more than likely to be men… who will rob you.

In less than two weeks three million six hundred thousand fans will descend upon Sao Paolo for the FIFA World Cup, two hundred thousand of these from the USA. Here are some other things that may or may not be in the brochure: Travel in groups (we suggest 75), carry mugger money. Be ready to empty your pockets and have enough cash so the mugger doesn’t get mad. In other words, don’t insult him with petty cash. You can be just as dead by being too cheap as you can by being too loud. Never say the Brazilian soccer team stinks. In fact, it wouldn’t hurt to know the team song as well as the Brazilian anthem, and know how to hum them. Always be mindful your mugger is probably a soccer fan, a fervent one at that.

If your mugger wants you to play a game of hacky sack or juggle soccer balls, be ready to do so. Don’t insult his juggling ability, even if he’s lousy. Tell him he’s the best soccer juggler you’ve seen today and on top of the money he’s robbing from you, you’re going to give him a tip. It is best to tell your mugger in Portuguese but when you compliment him in their language try not to over accentuate the trills and the lilt. If you mention his gun, and you remark on the pearl handle, don’t ask where he got it.
We want to emphasize the part about not insulting the Brazilian soccer team. Fans in that country are very feverish about their teams. You may have heard about the Brazilian referee who got in a fight with a player, knifed the player then ended up stoned to death, drawn-and-quartered with his head on a stake. Two things to remember: Brazilian fans are very serious about their soccer. Brazilian muggers don’t like to be yelled at.

Other things to remember: Brazilians loved to be kissed on both cheeks. The best and most beautiful bananas in the world are from Brazil. Don’t tell your mugger his nose or any other appendage looks like a banana… no matter how pretty it is. And don’t forget to kiss your mugger… on both cheeks.

Another thing to remember: Don’t go.

Just the facts
05-23-2014, 06:44 AM
On a related note, Olympic preparations are going so bad in Rio that the IOC has asked London to begin preparing to host the games as a backup.

elitespy
06-09-2014, 09:28 AM
The biggest sporting event in the world is just a few days away and nobody is talking about it. Who is gonna win this year??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcPWxPoaYtY

Come on people get excited.

Pete
06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
We have lots of soccer fans here....

Brasil I suppose is the favorite but you always have Spain, France, England, Itlay, Germany and Argentina as contenders.

We can complain about the USA being in the group of death but it's only because we haven't proven ourselves on the global stage and therefore will always be lumped in with at least two teams that are considered better.

Hope we do well... Will be a blast to watch.

SoonerDave
06-09-2014, 10:37 AM
I, personally, have no dog in the World Cup fight, but I am reading that a lot of WC sponsors are getting a bid edge over a purported match fixing scandal emerging from the World Cup..

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sports/soccer/fixed-matches-cast-shadow-over-world-cup.html

elitespy
06-09-2014, 12:28 PM
I, personally, have no dog in the World Cup fight, but I am reading that a lot of WC sponsors are getting a bid edge over a purported match fixing scandal emerging from the World Cup..

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sports/soccer/fixed-matches-cast-shadow-over-world-cup.html

What do you mean no dog in the fight?? Are you a citizen of the United States?? If so you have a dog in the fight, lol.

Personally I think Germany will win it, they are looking pretty good.

NegativeCreep
06-09-2014, 04:35 PM
We have lots of soccer fans here....

Brasil I suppose is the favorite but you always have Spain, France, England, Itlay, Germany and Argentina as contenders.

We can complain about the USA being in the group of death but it's only because we haven't proven ourselves on the global stage and therefore will always be lumped in with at least two teams that are considered better.

Hope we do well... Will be a blast to watch.

No, we are in a group of death not because we haven't proven ourselves, but because we have two legitimate contenders to win it all and a team who seems to have our number. Had we drawn group C or F, you wouldn't hear anything like that.

The US is ranked 13th in the world. Won the Gold Cup last year. Consistently put up good results against the best teams the world. We've definitely proved ourselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Pete
06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Just meant we didn't earn a top 8 seed and therefore were guaranteed to be in a group with 1) one of the top 8 seeds; 2) one of the teams from Europe; and 3) an African team.

When you aren't seeded or qualified through Europe, your draw is always going to be murderous.

Dustin
06-09-2014, 08:18 PM
WARNING: LANGUAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

Will
06-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Just meant we didn't earn a top 8 seed and therefore were guaranteed to be in a group with 1) one of the top 8 seeds; 2) one of the teams from Europe; and 3) an African team.

When you aren't seeded or qualified through Europe, your draw is always going to be murderous.

We are in a group with 2 of the teams currently ranked in the top 8. #2 and #4 to be exact. Portugal was ranked #14 at the time the groups were chosen, but is now ranked #4. So, #2, #4 and #13 all in one group. That's rough.

John Knight
06-10-2014, 03:36 PM
If anyone is looking for a place to watch the USA matches, go to Skinny Slim's in Bricktown.

They have a good section of the parking lot out back zoned off. There will be a large projection screen with audio around/under the bridge. Beer, food and clothing vendors will be set up for all 3 USA matches. Giveaways to the first ~500 or so guests on Monday.

My company, MENT Apparel, will be set up and selling our USA Collection that is raising money for Fields & Futures. You can see it all at MENT Apparel (http://www.mentapparel.com)

It's going to be one of the biggest watch parties in the state, if not the biggest!

BlackmoreRulz
06-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Schedule of events.....(wanted an easy clickable link)

The matches of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil? - FIFA.com (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/)

Pete
06-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Brazil was fortunate to win today.

I've been trading emails with my good friend from England who got me interested in soccer about 20 years ago.

He sent me a link to this video, which takes the pi$$ out of Americans and "football":

6KeG_i8CWE8

jerrywall
06-13-2014, 02:21 PM
All I can say is, thank gosh for Univision, since I don't have ESPN.

Pete
06-13-2014, 02:25 PM
The Dutch are up 3-1 against holders Spain.

And the one Spanish goal was on a very dubious penalty.

HangryHippo
06-13-2014, 02:44 PM
5-1 now. Spain is being crushed.

Pete
06-13-2014, 02:53 PM
5-1 final now.

I love the Dutch style of play, which has always been based on great passing and flowing attacks.

They are fun to watch.

AP
06-13-2014, 02:59 PM
van Persie's header was beautiful.

HangryHippo
06-13-2014, 03:22 PM
van Persie's header was beautiful.

As was the feed to him for the goal. Spain looked very poor in the second half.

bradh
06-14-2014, 03:30 PM
CONCACAF! What a showing by the Ticos

dankrutka
06-14-2014, 04:18 PM
WARNING: LANGUAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

Wow. That video is really damning. For those more knowledgeable on the topic, how much does John Oliver get right/wrong in this video?

Teo9969
06-15-2014, 11:51 AM
The most important article you'll read on the world cup:

World Cup Teams To Watch | The Onion - America's Finest News Source (http://www.theonion.com/articles/world-cup-teams-to-watch,36253/)

Teo9969
06-15-2014, 11:53 AM
It's really cool once you know people from a ton of these countries and after having spent a significant amount of time in some of these countries, because your rooting interests are far more complex than "USA and I don't care about the rest". My order of teams:

1. USA
2. Argentina
3. Germany
4. Chile

Pete
06-15-2014, 11:55 AM
^

Right! Plus, following a club like Arsenal means they have players on about 8 different teams.

In addition to the U.S., I am pulling for Holland, England, and Switzerland.

Plus, there will likely be a Cinderella team like the Ivory Coast that will be fun to pull for.

I've really enjoyed all the matches thus far.

BlackmoreRulz
06-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Great finish by the Swiss with the late goal, great call by the ref to play on through the foul.

Dennis Heaton
06-15-2014, 12:02 PM
I realize some of these teams are in the same Group, but, I like...

USA
Costa Rica
Iran
Ivory Coast

P.S. I suggested to my Iranian neighbors that they ought to design a Football Jersey with a map of Iran or the flag of Iran with the phrase, "Football Comes Natural to Us, in I Ran." I know, I know...never said I was a creative genius.

bradh
06-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Great finish by the Swiss with the late goal, great call by the ref to play on through the foul.

may have blown the offside no call though, looked like the swiss goal scorer was offside

BlackmoreRulz
06-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Dunno, looking at the replays it looks like he was even when the ball was passed.

BlackmoreRulz
06-15-2014, 12:12 PM
USA
Netherlands
Mexico
Germany

dankrutka
06-15-2014, 04:13 PM
I loved watching Ivory Coast get the win over Japan. I'm riding with them unless they face the US.

DavidD_NorthOKC
06-16-2014, 12:09 AM
5-1 final now.

I love the Dutch style of play, which has always been based on great passing and flowing attacks.

They are fun to watch.

I thought that would be a good match and even thought Spain might lose to the Netherlands. But 5-1?!?!?! Did not see that one coming. But fortunately for Spain maybe, they also lost their group play opener in 2010 and still won it all.

AP
06-16-2014, 08:08 AM
⊂_ヽ
  \\ Λ_Λ
   \( ˇωˇ)
   /  ⌒
  / へ\
  /  / \\
レ ノ   ヽ_つ
  / / Game Day! #usmnt
 ( (ヽ
 | |、 \
 | 丿 \
 | |  ) /
ノ )  Lノ

RadicalModerate
06-16-2014, 09:40 AM
The most important article you'll read on the world cup:

World Cup Teams To Watch | The Onion - America's Finest News Source (http://www.theonion.com/articles/world-cup-teams-to-watch,36253/)

That Post/Link deserves its own World Cup. =)
(to protect its balls from possible kicking)

George Carlin once did a routine comparing Football (the real version) with Baseball.
Did he ever make any observations about Soccer/Futbal? =)

Someone needs to invent a new sport involving all the elements of golf, bowling, cricket, hockey, badminton, bridge, croquet and slot machines.
Soccer seems to lack . . . a reason . . . for playing.

(but I've been wrong before. in fact, more times than I can count.
for sure way more times than all the final scores of every soccer match ever played combined.)

HangryHippo
06-16-2014, 01:34 PM
My god Germany looked good today. Just excellent execution all around. That's a really, really good team.

Pete
06-16-2014, 07:03 PM
^

Germany thrashing Portugal helps the U.S. immensely, as goal difference is the first tie breaker in the groups.

We were almost shockingly bad in our match tonight, but got all three points anyway! Amazing.

Our early goal really caused us to go into a shell and it was only a matter of time before they equalized. We were very, very lucky to get that late winner.

But onward and upward! If we at least draw in our next match with Portugal, we'll probably be in good shape to advance even if we lose to Germany.

Laramie
06-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Thriller as USA defeats Ghana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxlAl1YSotE&feature=player_detailpage
John Brooks' exciting header!

Teo9969
06-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Just happy to get out of there with 3 points.

Really sucks about Altidore…

Gotta make something big happen against Portugal or Germany.

Dennis Heaton
06-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Todays (Tuesday) winners...

Belgium
Brazil
ROK

AP
06-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Todays (Tuesday) winners...

Belgium
Brazil
ROK

I really want to see Eden Hazard do well. He's a bright spot for Chelsea.

Pete
06-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Looks like they had a huge crowd at Skinny's yesterday. For the next match I bet it will be much bigger, as many have just learned about the watch party:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqSiErsCcAEmTaU.jpg

bradh
06-17-2014, 08:21 AM
plus it'll be a Sunday. we plan on watching at Speakeasy before the Energy game on Sunday

Dennis Heaton
06-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Looks like they had a huge crowd at Skinny's yesterday. For the next match I bet it will be much bigger, as many have just learned about the watch party:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqSiErsCcAEmTaU.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/SkinnySlimsOkc

C. B.
06-17-2014, 10:01 AM
The watch party at Skinny Slims was incredible last night. They gave out well over 500 wristbands. Really good atmosphere with everyone being friendly and fired up. Hell, even the 5 guys wearing Ghana flags were treated well.
Great time, can't wait for more!

Pete
06-17-2014, 10:15 AM
I love there were Ghana fans at that party!

Sunday should be a blast.

John Knight
06-17-2014, 11:21 AM
The watch party at Skinny Slim's yesterday was sick! I cannot wait until Sunday!

Here is a pic taken 30 minutes prior to kick...

dankrutka
06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Here's a pic of the celebration after a goal:

onthestrip
06-17-2014, 11:42 AM
While it does look awesome in those pics, I did hear that it was a ton of people and not really easy to actually see the game on the few tvs they had. But it is always fun to watch something like this with a bunch of your fellow countrymen.

John Knight
06-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Half time...

John Knight
06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
While it does look awesome in those pics, I did hear that it was a ton of people and not really easy to actually see the game on the few tvs they had. But it is always fun to watch something like this with a bunch of your fellow countrymen.

It was so windy that their original plan to have a huge projection screen was nixed. As a result, they had to scramble. They bought two 70 inch LED televisions and mounted them to a moving truck. It wasn't ideal but the best solution in a pinch.

C. B.
06-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Actual viewing wasn't great, but the atmosphere was worth it.
That's why you dvr it and watch it back a second time at home!