View Full Version : Oklahoma City Murrah Building Bombing

ljbab728
04-19-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm surprised that Saturday went by without even a mention of this here. Let's never forget.

19 years after bombing Oklahomans gather hoping never to forget | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/04/19/19-years-after-bombing-oklahomans-gather-hoping-never-to-forget/)

Mel
04-19-2014, 11:54 PM
I feel bad that I did not remember this until I drove around Downtown around 1600. There were folks there for the Memorial, Folks there setting up the Art's Festival and folks setting up Thunder Alley for the Game. I will remember the sould from the bombimg in my prayers tonight. I have to say downtown was a bit busy today.

ljbab728
04-20-2014, 12:05 AM
I feel bad that I did not remember this until I drove around Downtown around 1600. There were folks there for the Memorial, Folks there setting up the Art's Festival and folks setting up Thunder Alley for the Game. I will remember the sould from the bombimg in my prayers tonight. I have to say downtown was a bit busy today.

There was obviously a lot going on today with the Art's Festival and the Thunder game. None of it was nearly as important as the bombing though. I caught the ceremonies on TV this morning and it was as moving as always.

Mel
04-20-2014, 12:21 AM
I slept late and honestly did not remember until I drove around that area.

Eddie1
04-20-2014, 11:42 AM
I did not live here when the bombing happened in '95. But I did live through and actually watch the second plane hit building #2 in '01 so I understand the devastation of this event. A partner of mine the other day had said he could hear the explosion in Norman at that time. Is this true? What was the farthest away you all could actually hear that explosion on that morning? Was it sunny? Calm winds that day. I remember in NYC it was absolutely beautiful that morning.

Easy180
04-20-2014, 11:48 AM
I did not live here when the bombing happened in '95. But I did live through and actually watch the second plane hit building #2 in '01 so I understand the devastation of this event. A partner of mine the other day had said he could hear the explosion in Norman at that time. Is this true? What was the farthest away you all could actually hear that explosion on that morning? Was it sunny? Calm winds that day. I remember in NYC it was absolutely beautiful that morning.

I was at a banking center in Midwest City and it sounded like the air conditioning unit on the roof exploded.

ljbab728
04-20-2014, 08:28 PM
I was at work at NW Expwy and Rockwell and thought there was a car wreck outside.

gjl
04-20-2014, 08:53 PM
I heard it clearly inside the Lucent Technologies factory on Reno and Council. Sounded like a huge clap of thunder.

Prunepicker
04-20-2014, 09:16 PM
I was a few blocks west on 8th street near St. Anthony. I felt the blast
and the floor in a century old church building. I was tossed back and
forth in a hall way and the floor was undulating because of the shock.
I thought it was a car bomb.

TAlan CB
04-20-2014, 09:51 PM
I was a few blocks south working in the Crystal Bridge ... I ran down to the north facing circular window in time to see a mushroom cloud go up... it was from the collapse of the north face of the structure. In those days there was no Devon tower and there was a clear view to the west side of the Murrah complex. You could see across the parking lot (no above grade parking structures yet) and up the street.

RadicalModerate
04-21-2014, 05:54 AM
I heard it all the way up in Guthrie. It sounded like a loud clap of thunder, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

Urbanized
04-21-2014, 06:45 AM
My desk was about six feet away from a north-facing floor-to-ceiling window on the SW corner of Robinson and Reno. I was standing, talking with someone, and the concussion shoved us back a foot or so, and I had to run away from the windows as they shattered and cascaded to the floor. I thought a car was running through the front of our building. I'm super-fortunate the windows were so large. Smaller ones would have sprayed me with glass rather than simply flex violently and fall out of their frames. I'm also very lucky to have not been at my previous job inside the Journal-Record Building.

When I looked north I saw the mushroom cloud Alan mentioned. We also saw what looked like glitter in the cloud, and it took a minute to realize that it was typing paper. That was the first realization that people must have died.

Our windows had always deadened the sound outside almost entirely; even sirens going past the front of the building remained mostly unheard. That changed immediately when the windows came out. Back then sensitive, noisy car alarms were super-common, and every car alarm downtown was simultaneously activated by the blast. The sound was surreal coming through our broken windows; it's difficult to really describe. Then the rescue vehicle sirens started up and lasted for hours. And then the injured began streaming through our doors with blood streaking their faces asking to use our telephones to call loved ones (cell phones not very common back then and phone system out/overwhelmed in the CBD).

A group of us walked in the direction of the blast to see if we could help in any way. We couldn't get very close to the Murrah Building, but were able to watch/assist a few people crawling out of the YMCA building before the bomb scares started. After that I spent a week or so volunteering for the Red Cross at their makeshift distribution center, taking donations and delivering supplies to the Murrah site. FritterGirl was there too. It was an incredible thing passing checkpoints on the streets of my own city manned by soldiers with rifles slung over their shoulders.

The whole episode was so incredibly surreal that today I look back on it and it seems like a dream. Indirectly the event was responsible for me getting so involved with Automobile Alley, which many people might not know was heavily damaged in the bombing. In that role I got to meet and become friends with many of the people whose names are inscribed on the survivor wall at the Memorial site, a number of whom also got involved with Automobile Alley's revitalization. Reading the names of those people, many of whom would never personally refer to themselves as "survivors" or "victims" is also very strange to me. None of them let that event define them. The outcome of the bombing demonstrated how truly tough and resilient this city and the people therein truly are.

In a way, I suppose the bombing helped chart the course for my life after that, though I've never really thought about it like that until posting this. But there is no question that even though I had worked and volunteered downtown for a few years prior, this event gave me a resolve to stay involved with downtown's redevelopment thereafter.

rezman
04-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Back in the mid 80's I worked for a company that provided replacement pneumatic damper controls for the HVAC systems in the Murrah building. I worked on every floor replacing the old units with new ones.

On April 19, 1995, I was working for my current employer over by NE 63rd & I-35 when the explosion occurred. I was in the shop and we felt two booms, one right after the other that shook our building ... Some say the second boom we felt was a shock wave, or from the pancaking building. One of our workers was testing outside testing a piece of equipment that we had just built so we immediately ran outside looking for him thinking something happened to the machine. When we saw that he was ok, looked around and to the southwest we saw the mushroom cloud rising up from downtown. My first thought after that was natural gas line explosion? After going back in the shop, we turned our radios up, and the first reports started pouring in.

ljbab728
04-14-2015, 11:43 PM
I've never attended a memorial service for this tragic event before but this is one time I'm going to be there.

Former President Bill Clinton will speak at 20th Anniversary Remembrance Ceremony | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/former-president-bill-clinton-will-speak-at-20th-anniversary-remembrance-ceremony/article/5410403)

Love Clinton or hate him, his visit to OKC and speech was a tremendously appropriate and moving experience for this city shortly after it happened. I'll have all of those affected deeply in my thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DgXx_evi6Q

mmonroe
04-19-2015, 02:14 AM
I was sent a link to a movie entitled "A Noble Lie". Has anyone seen this documentary?

Urbanized
04-19-2015, 07:52 AM
I haven't. I need to check if out. I did want to post a link to a radio documentary by KOSU/KGOU, released this past week. It's brilliantly done. I was asked to participate, thinking at the time that it was mostly because of my involvement with the post-bombing economic recovery of Automobile Alley. Most of my lines that made the cut, however, ended up being related to what I heard and saw in the immediate aftermath as a downtown worker.

I'm a little bit self-conscious about my involvement in the doc, because I feel like my experience was pretty insignificant in the grand scheme. But that's in part what they were going for; they wanted to include everyday members of the community to reveal how they saw the events unfold. Anyway, I was honored and humbled to be included in what turned out to be an incredible piece. FritterGirl's volunteer experience is included too. As I've mentioned previously she and I volunteered together for a number of days, and I know she carried on her involvement for quite some time after that.

Here is a link to the KOSU page where you can stream the (53 minute) documentary: That April Morning: The Oklahoma City Bombing | KOSU (http://kosu.org/post/april-morning-oklahoma-city-bombing)

mkjeeves
04-19-2015, 09:30 AM
One of the common experiences reflected in at least one of the above stories, in my own experience, my wife's experience, who was in a different location, was the initial thought following the boom and shock wave that whatever happened was in the immediate vicinity. I was seven miles away and thought it was at a manufacturing facility next door.

Teo9969
04-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Is there a place to watch the ceremony that was held at the memorial this morning?

Mel
04-19-2015, 12:12 PM
This is all I could find on you tube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=20th+anniversary+oklahoma+cit y+bombing

I'm sure this morning's ceremony will be rebroadcast at some point soon. 20 years and it still hits like a train when I think about it.

positano
04-19-2015, 09:19 PM
I did not live here when the bombing happened in '95. But I did live through and actually watch the second plane hit building #2 in '01 so I understand the devastation of this event. A partner of mine the other day had said he could hear the explosion in Norman at that time. Is this true?

Yes.

ljbab728
04-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Here is Clinton's complete speech.

?We should all live by the Oklahoma Standard?, President Bill Clinton remembers April 19, 1995 | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2015/04/19/we-should-all-live-by-the-oklahoma-standard-president-bill-clinton-remembers-april-19-1995/)

Slimjim
04-20-2015, 02:05 AM
I hope those sons of bitches that are still alive and in witness protection have torturous nightmares about the 168 people lost including 19 children plus the youngest who weren't even born yet and the evil they wrought upon this city for there is no place for them except a white hot coal in the deepest recesses of hell

trousers
04-20-2015, 07:01 AM
I was sent a link to a movie entitled "A Noble Lie". Has anyone seen this documentary?
I haven't seen it, but only because it's an Alex Jones movie. That pretty much kills any credibility with me.

ljbab728
04-13-2017, 11:05 PM
I always thought a movie would be made about this and I'm surprised that it took this long.

http://kfor.com/2017/04/13/oklahoma-city-bombing-to-be-made-into-a-movie/

stile99
04-14-2017, 06:36 AM
I'm sure there was more said, and the paragraph that contains "I probably wouldn't change anything" is a combination of that and a poor selection of words, but I definitely would change something. Without hesitation or reservation.

riflesforwatie
04-14-2017, 11:21 AM
I had been meaning to post about this, but forgot. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but American Experience (PBS) did a documentary on the bombing back in February.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/oklahoma-city/

I haven't watched yet but the reviews were very positive.

dankrutka
04-14-2017, 11:57 AM
I hadn't seen this, but America n Experience does fantastic work. I'll give it a watch.

Bellaboo
04-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Watched a while back - lots of info I didn't know and I experienced it from 10 miles away.

poe
04-15-2017, 10:25 AM
It was very good. I recorded it the night it premiered, and I still have it on the DVR so I can watch it again.

bombermwc
04-19-2017, 07:17 AM
There was a good podcast on the BBC last fall too. I was surprised that they did another story (i think this was their third) but it was sort of a different perspective as a follow-up with some of the same interviewees from the previous one. It's a good listen. I was listening to it on XM on the way to work and even through the aircard on my laptop on the way into my office from the car so i wouldn't miss part of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04cvmtq

turnpup
04-19-2017, 07:58 AM
I went down there this morning to pay my respects. There were quite a few people gathering for the service. It's sad thinking of how many lives were lost and changed that day, but the site as redeveloped is beautiful and serene. Hopefully somewhat of a comfort to people. Thoughts and prayers to those who were affected 22 years ago.

CCOKC
04-19-2017, 08:50 AM
There was a good podcast on the BBC last fall too. I was surprised that they did another story (i think this was their third) but it was sort of a different perspective as a follow-up with some of the same interviewees from the previous one. It's a good listen. I was listening to it on XM on the way to work and even through the aircard on my laptop on the way into my office from the car so i wouldn't miss part of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04cvmtq

I am listening to that on KGOU right now. Very good program so far with good things to say about OKC.

poe
04-14-2020, 06:42 PM
With the 25th anniversary approaching, I've been fascinated with hearing and reading stories about the survivors and where their lives have taken them. Today, however, KFOR posted a story about a VHS tape from the Memorial archives that was removed as evidence in McVeigh's trial and had not been viewed in over 20 years. The tape was made by Kim Burgess, an employee at the Federal Employees Credit Union, who was shooting the video to show her parents where and with whom she worked. It was truly heart-wrenching since some of the people on the video lost their lives in the bombing, as did Kim. I have to say the resilience of Oklahoma City is unparalleled and the healing that's been done since that day is truly remarkable.

Bill Robertson
04-14-2020, 07:35 PM
With the 25th anniversary approaching, I've been fascinated with hearing and reading stories about the survivors and where their lives have taken them. Today, however, KFOR posted a story about a VHS tape from the Memorial archives that was removed as evidence in McVeigh's trial and had not been viewed in over 20 years. The tape was made by Kim Burgess, an employee at the Federal Employees Credit Union, who was shooting the video to show her parents where and with whom she worked. It was truly heart-wrenching since some of the people on the video lost their lives in the bombing, as did Kim. I have to say the resilience of Oklahoma City is unparalleled and the healing that's been done since that day is truly remarkable.I saw that piece on the morning news too. Very touching. I worked for Kerr-McGee R&D lab (150th & Portland) at the time. We pretty much shut down and used the building for counseling of the HQ employees. They brought in bunch of contract counselors. My ex worked in the Sonic building right down the street from the bombing. A few of her co-workers had children in the Murrah building day care. It messed her up. We went and stood with the crowds watching the rescue/recovery effort for days. She was never the same and her change had a bit to do with our eventual split. There were SO many people touched by the bombing.

Mott
04-14-2020, 08:51 PM
I saw that piece on the morning news too. Very touching. I worked for Kerr-McGee R&D lab (150th & Portland) at the time. We pretty much shut down and used the building for counseling of the HQ employees. They brought in bunch of contract counselors. My ex worked in the Sonic building right down the street from the bombing. A few of her co-workers had children in the Murrah building day care. It messed her up. We went and stood with the crowds watching the rescue/recovery effort for days. She was never the same and her change had a bit to do with our eventual split. There were SO many people touched by the bombing.

Thanks for that, and all I can do for you, and all who lost someone, is really nothing, but best wishes, and the tears we all cried.

mugofbeer
04-14-2020, 11:04 PM
I so agree with the many good points above! I also knew a person killed and a good friend who was injured while walking a full block away.

It was such a painful day for the country but specifically for the city because virtually all of us knew someone killed, injured, involved in the recovery or the aid rendered to the rescuers in the days after.

I was working in Dallas at the time when a co-wotker brought it to my attention. My mother was in St. Anthony's working and l was able to call her and find out immediately how horrible it really was. It took the national news a while to grasp the seriousness.

My Dad was outside at their home 5 miles away and clearly heard the explosion. His WWII experience immediately made him think it was a bomb.

My sister in Edmond clearly heard it and called my Dad to see if he'd heard it.

I had one close family member who rode the ambulance to the building and saw the worst of the worst of the aftermath which l won't describe here.

A brothers church set up nearby to give food, seating and someone for rescuers to talk to in the aftermath which, if you recall from the weather in the following days, made conditions all around the building nearly unbearable.

All of my local family participated in rescue, medical care and relief work so saw the results of the bombing first-hand. My distant news-watching showed the local first responders, the Mayor and the Governor all did an outstanding job representing the state. I also remember vividly the rage l felt at CBS Anchor Connie Chung and her smug question of "can you (the fire department and city) handle this? - which subsequently led to her resignation from CBS.

In a bad way, the bombing helped the city grow up and, despite the work of a few on here, helped the city realize and work its way from it's "cow town" image.

brian72
04-14-2020, 11:22 PM
Been 25 years already. I remember like it was just yesterday. You never know when it's your time.

Oklapatriot
04-16-2020, 02:10 PM
Been 25 years already. I remember like it was just yesterday. You never know when it's your time.
Man you're up late.......I also remember it well. I was one of the first ones there and the destruction and smell of the explosives is still in my memory. RIP to the lost ones.

The Shadow
04-17-2020, 09:29 AM
"In a bad way, the bombing helped the city grow up and, despite the work of a few on here, helped the city realize and work its way from it's "cow town" image"

...which is why some of us who grew up in OKC think the Governor's idea to "rebrand" the state" makes no sense.

Questor
04-25-2020, 08:37 AM
The remembrance ceremony that aired on News 9 the morning of the anniversary was awesome. It was different than what was originally planned, but there was something really polished and grown up about it. It reminded me how the city has grown up since that time.

The new icon of the Survivor Tree silhouette 25 years ago superimposed with its outline today was unexpectedly moving.

Does anyone know who the bishop was who gave the message of hope? He was awesome and I’d like to know more about him.

Brett
07-06-2023, 01:17 PM
Fall Out Boy referenced "Oklahoma City Bomb(ing)" in their remake of the Billy Joel hit "We Didn't Start the Fire".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LkVKCWL0U4