View Full Version : Oklahoma Will Charge Customers Who Install Their Own Solar Panels

Achilleslastand
04-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Oklahoma Will Charge Customers Who Install Their Own Solar Panels | ThinkProgress (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/04/16/3427392/oklahoma-fee-solar-wind/)

Oklahoma residents who produce their own energy through solar panels or small wind turbines on their property will now be charged an additional fee, the result of a new bill passed by the state legislature and expected to be signed into law by Gov. Mary Fallin (R).

On Monday, S.B. 1456 passed the state House 83-5 after no debate. The measure creates a new class of customers: those who install distributed power generation systems like solar panels or small wind turbines on their property and sell the excess energy back to the grid. While those with systems already installed won’t be affected, the new class of customers will now be charged a monthly fee — a shift that happened quickly and caught many in the state off guard.

“We knew nothing about it and all of a sudden it’s attached to some other bill,” Ctaci Gary, owner of Sun City Oklahoma, told ThinkProgress. “It just appeared out of nowhere.”

Because the surcharge amount has not been determined, Gary is cautious about predicting the impact it will have on her business. She has already received multiple calls from people asking questions about the bill and wanting to have solar systems installed before the new fee takes effect. “We’re going to use it as a marketing tool,” Gary said. “People deserve to have an opportunity [to install their own solar panels] and not be charged.”

“It is unfortunate that some utilities that enthusiastically support wind power for their own use are promoting a regressive policy that will make it harder for their customers to use wind power on their own,” said Mike Bergey, president & CEO of Bergey Windpower in Norman, Oklahoma, in a statement. “Oklahoma offers tax credits for large wind turbines which are built elsewhere, but wants to penalize small wind which we manufacture here in the state? That makes no sense to me.”

mmonroe
04-19-2014, 08:51 AM
So that state is helping the Utilities form a vertical monopoly.

I hate the fact that I have to choose from only 1 electric company, that already has erroneous fees, so now if I want to go "off grid" I still pay a monthly premium?

THIS IS BULL****!

/////

As someone who wants to try and stay in OKlahoma, this is something that will drive people away.

What this bill tells me is that no matter who the people are in oklahoma, as long as a company with big pockets come in, the state government will be bend over the bed and take it like some red light district tramp.

catch22
04-19-2014, 08:54 AM
But Mary Fallin only wants a small government?

Soonerman
04-19-2014, 09:00 AM
It's time for Faillin to go. Vote her out folks.

kevinpate
04-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Oklahoma wanted a pro business, business friendly, and favorable of small government environment. It got a pro big business friendly environment.

Anyone who favors the current corp of corn in the legislative fields ought to read, and comprehend, all the impact in the last two sentences of the original post. To save you the scroll, here is is again, a statement by a CEO of a local small business based in Norman

“Oklahoma offers tax credits for large wind turbines which are built elsewhere, but wants to penalize small wind which we manufacture here in the state? That makes no sense to me.”

kelroy55
04-19-2014, 09:53 AM

I hate the fact that I have to choose from only 1 electric company, that already has erroneous fees, so now if I want to go "off grid" I still pay a monthly premium?

THIS IS BULL****!

/////

As someone who wants to try and stay in OKlahoma, this is something that will drive people away.

What this bill tells me is that no matter who the people are in oklahoma, as long as a company with big pockets come in, the state government will be bend over the bed and take it like some red light district tramp.

I was surprised when I moved to Fort Worth the number of choices of power companies I had and with that they all have multiple plans to choose from. I got the free weekend one and happy with it :)

bluedogok
04-19-2014, 10:01 AM

THIS IS BULL****!

/////

That is no different than most states, Texas is always held up as the example of a "free market" but it is far from it, in fact very few areas have energy choice. In Austin we only had the option of Austin Energy, up near Lake Travis there was only Pedernales Electric. Here in Colorado we only had the option of Xcel Energy at the rental house and at our house now we only have Intermountain Rural Electric Association. The monopoly electric companies want to keep it that way and have no problem using the government to advance their interests. They have tried to sneak it through the Texas legislature as well and nationwide the companies have worked to get it adopted into the building codes that you have to be connected to the grid. Up here there are all sorts of day cabins in the mountains without power that some counties and national agencies are trying to close down because they have no connected power. So code officials can require you to be connected to the grid even if you could be completely sustainable off the grid. It is not a partisan thing either, both parties are guilty of accepting the money and passing legislation to the benefit of large corporations.

venture
04-19-2014, 10:33 AM

But but but...faith, family and freedom! Even though she's taken a crap on all three, that's besides the point!

Unfortunately the weakness of the state Dem party means she wins big. She has no desire to help anyone but big business that is lining her pockets. Small business and individuals are like frogs in a pot of water where the temp is being turned up. It's starting to boil but no one is jumping.

TheTravellers
04-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Hey Pete, might want to merge this thread and this other one - http://www.okctalk.com/politics/37337-sending-excess-power-generated-solar-back-into-grid-will-cost-you.html :D

MsProudSooner
04-19-2014, 03:35 PM
She's doing the bidding of her masters.

gjl
04-19-2014, 04:06 PM
So lets see. Everyone is upset that a company that built, maintains, and manages the power grid that supplies pretty much uninterrupted power to homes and businesses might get to charge you to put power back into their grid. I guess if you don't like it you could always build your own power grid.

catch22
04-19-2014, 11:54 PM
^

So we pay them to give them free (to them) product they sell back to someone else (at a profit), while reducing the load their generators have to produce?

Mel
04-20-2014, 12:00 AM
That sneaking stuff on another bill is the way both parties get away with their bullspit. Every bill should be passed on it's own merit.

venture
04-20-2014, 12:16 AM
So lets see. Everyone is upset that a company that built, maintains, and manages the power grid that supplies pretty much uninterrupted power to homes and businesses might get to charge you to put power back into their grid. I guess if you don't like it you could always build your own power grid.

Then the consumer who is now providing power back to OG&E should get a cut of the profit for reselling that power.

gjl
04-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Why should OG&E be forced to take a product you are producing that is the same product as the one they are selling? What other business has to do that. That would be like me walking into a grocery store and saying they have to buy the tomatoes I grew in my garden. Again, you want to sell power you produce, build your own grid.

Servicetech571
04-20-2014, 08:03 AM
OG&E needs to seperate fuel an delivery charges, just like ONG did years ago. Buy/Sell electricity at the fuel cost and charge seperate for delivery.
As long as you are consuming the entire amount of site generated power (not selling any back to OGE), OGE shouldn't be charging any additional fees. Smarthours (http://www.ogepet.com/programs/smarthours.aspx) VPP/TOU customers would benefit most from solar power, generation is at peak levels when buying from the grid is highest.

Another option is to have the solar power not grid connected, your house would have 'solar outlets' and grid connected outlets. The main problem with that is you would have to manage your own load controls depending on solar output.

okcpulse
04-20-2014, 08:13 AM

THIS IS BULL****!

/////

And choosing from competing electric utility companies in a deregulated state is any better? Living in Texas for 8 years has taught me that a deregulated system is no better than being regulated. Electric utilities get to change their rates on a whim without any sort of approval, and the amount of the hike is at their discretion. And then you have to shop amongst fly by night electric companies that are a bunch of hacks. If equipment or infrastructure fails, fingers get pointed at who is responsible for repairs or upgrading equipment.

Don't get me wrong, this bill that Gov. Fallin signed is crap. But the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. And if people really cared about Oklahoma, they would stay, push for the bill to be repealed, and show state government they are not going to accept crap legislation like this bill. I just love America's answer to its problems. "Our state screwed up, so let's pack up!" Apathy is a huge epidemic, and we are allowing our governments to run rampant while we jump from state to state in search of our utopia instead of confrontation.

In any case, Fallin is in desperate need of being removed from office.

Cocaine
04-20-2014, 10:21 AM
This has to be one of the dumbest most asinine laws I've ever seen in my life. This shouldn't even be of any one else's concern. I wonder why their are no calls for government to mind it's own business now.

Dubya61
04-21-2014, 12:47 PM
I agree that there should be little to no requirement for the energy company to buy any excess power I generate, but if there is some requirement for me to be connected to the grid, then there should be no penalty for any generated electricity. I don't think they should have to buy it back at the same rate I buy it, because they didn't ask for me to provide any electricity, but maybe they should buy it back at the cheapest rate they sell it for.

trousers
04-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Looking at the vote tally its not just Mary. Out of the House & Senate combined only 5 voted against it.

hoya
04-21-2014, 06:06 PM

Yes, people are upset that they will be charged when they provide the power company with electricity. You understand properly.

mugofbeer
04-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Then the consumer who is now providing power back to OG&E should get a cut of the profit for reselling that power.

As devil's advocate, then should those folks in rural areas pay drastically more for their power because of the extra miles of power line, dozens of polds and lost energy spent through those lines?

Prunepicker
04-21-2014, 09:54 PM
This is sooooo stupid.

venture
04-21-2014, 10:09 PM
As devil's advocate, then should those folks in rural areas pay drastically more for their power because of the extra miles of power line, dozens of polds and lost energy spent through those lines?

If they decide to live out that far, why not? Governments are going broke trying to cover infrastructure to places out in BFE. I'm not talking about normal urban sprawl. Do we really need paved highways running from places like Boise City in the panhandle to Clayton, NM?

soonerguru
04-21-2014, 11:58 PM
The sponsor of this bill is the Edmond Republican "ban all marriage" guy, Mike Turner, WHO IS RUNNING FOR US CONGRESS.

Please make it stop.

catch22
04-22-2014, 12:01 AM
The sponsor of this bill is the Edmond Republican "ban all marriage" guy, Mike Turner, WHO IS RUNNING FOR US CONGRESS.

Please make it stop.

It seems like a massive dumptruck of trashy bills has been crapped on us the past few weeks and months. Moreso than usual.

TheTravellers
04-22-2014, 12:23 PM

Please make it stop.

Sadly, he'll probably win, or someone else equally as bad, it's not going to stop, not anytime soon.

Dustin
04-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Rachel Maddow: Oklahoma?s ?sun tax? law means it?s a threat to Koch Brothers? allies | The Raw Story (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/22/rachel-maddow-oklahomas-sun-tax-law-means-its-a-threat-to-koch-brothers-allies/)

So embarrasing.

kelroy55
04-22-2014, 05:18 PM
A few DFW talk radio stations were talking about OK and the solar panel charges and were making fun of OK and how stupid this was.

hoya
04-22-2014, 07:10 PM
The legislature is no place to put the kids who flunked out of special ed.

bluedogok
04-22-2014, 07:14 PM
A few DFW talk radio stations were talking about OK and the solar panel charges and were making fun of OK and how stupid this was.
Don't think the electric companies down there don't want to do the same thing, they are all in when it comes to buying for legislation. They will do anything for more fees that go in their pockets.

Plutonic Panda
04-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Yes, people are upset that they will be charged when they provide the power company with electricity. You understand properly.If anything, you'd think they would receive a check every month for doing so.