View Full Version : Windows 8.1

Prunepicker
04-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Since Windows XP is no longer supported I bought a new laptop.

I don't like Windows 8.1.

I don't like it Sam I Am.
Not with a Box or with a (fire) Fox.

I believe Windows 3.1 was better and it sucked big time.

How are you coping with this non intuitive monstrosity of stupidity?

Beam me up Scotty!

Bunty
04-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Good Lord. Windows 3.1 was before my time with computers, and doubt I missed anything from it. To like Windows 8.1 a lot better, get a free third party start button. But then you're liable to complain, it's too much like Windows 95.

Stew
04-14-2014, 09:26 AM
How do I deal with it? I use macs. Problem solved.

SoonerDave
04-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Since Windows XP is no longer supported I bought a new laptop.

I don't like Windows 8.1.

I don't like it Sam I Am.
Not with a Box or with a (fire) Fox.

I believe Windows 3.1 was better and it sucked big time.

Beam me up Scotty!

You mean you don't like the Purple Flyin' Tile Interface, either? : )

But MS worked so hard to bring you so much counterintuitivity to such a small space.... :)

Garin
04-14-2014, 09:49 AM

That's a whole different subject...

Prunepicker
04-14-2014, 12:42 PM
I've managed to get rid of a lot of adware this past week. How can I
get rid of X-box?

venture
04-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Classic shell makes win 8.1 perfectly fine for the most part.

gjl
04-14-2014, 01:05 PM
If you have to make Win 8.1 look like Win 7 to be perfectly fine, what is the point of using Win 8.1?

jn1780
04-14-2014, 02:10 PM
If you have to make Win 8.1 look like Win 7 to be perfectly fine, what is the point of using Win 8.1?

Because PC makers don't give you a choice? lol

They built it for tablets and then forced it upon desktop and labtop end-users. (For new purchases anyway).

Bunty
04-14-2014, 03:01 PM

Aren't the only people who use macs the ones who think they are a lot more smarter and smug than most people?

Stew
04-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Aren't the only people who use macs the ones who think they are a lot more smarter and smug than most people?

You forgot better looking.

gjl
04-14-2014, 04:17 PM

I didn't realize so many of the members here use Macs. :p

Prunepicker
04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
I was a Mac user but switched to Windows because, at the time, the
music program I was using, Finale (http://www.finalemusic.com/), wasn't available for Mac. I just haven't
gone back to it. All of my students have Macs.

Stew
04-14-2014, 07:12 PM

That doesn't surprise me. OKCTALK seems to attract a fairly intelligent crowd.

Prunepicker
04-14-2014, 07:16 PM
That doesn't surprise me. OKCTALK seems to attract a fairly intelligent crowd.
You and I are evidence of that. :cool:

bluedogok
04-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Because PC makers don't give you a choice? lol

They built it for tablets and then forced it upon desktop and labtop end-users. (For new purchases anyway).
You can order Win 7 preloaded on HP and Boxx computers, they have gone back to offering it. Anything in a Best Buy type of store will have Win 8.1 preloaded. I only have one computer (newest desktop I built) with Win 8.1, I prefer Win 7. I run Autodesk software (Revit, 3DSMax, Autocad mostly) that isn't offered for Macs, so Macs are worthless to me. We did look at getting my wife a new MacBook Pro, twice the price for equivalent hardware that can be found with Windows....she nixed the idea.

Prunepicker
04-14-2014, 09:06 PM
I don't like Windows 8.1. It stinks.

XP was perfection.

However, as long as I can use Finale (http://www.finalemusic.com/) and surf the Internet I'm good for
the most part.

bluedogok
04-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Do try Classic Shell as venture posted.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements (http://www.classicshell.net/)

David
04-14-2014, 09:45 PM
According to some recent announcements, there should be an update coming in the next few weeks that restores the start menu and makes a few other key fixes. If you can hold out till then it might clear up your issues.

venture
04-14-2014, 11:57 PM
According to some recent announcements, there should be an update coming in the next few weeks that restores the start menu and makes a few other key fixes. If you can hold out till then it might clear up your issues.

Yeah. They need to do this to get the business users to switch over. Touchscreens on desktops are still a ways off from being mainstream. I do like having the touchscreen on a laptop but I also add Classic Shell so I can have the classic start menu.

jn1780
04-15-2014, 06:14 AM
Yeah. They need to do this to get the business users to switch over. Touchscreens on desktops are still a ways off from being mainstream. I do like having the touchscreen on a laptop but I also add Classic Shell so I can have the classic start menu.

I can see a horizontal screen built into the desk being useful, but I dont see people wanting to elevate their hands to control a vertical screen for very long.

David
04-15-2014, 07:20 AM
I can see a horizontal screen built into the desk being useful, but I dont see people wanting to elevate their hands to control a vertical screen for very long.

That just sounds like something that would cause horrible back problems over time. With my current nerve issues, I couldn't lean over a screen built into my desk for more than a few minutes before ending up in a lot of pain.

SoonerDave
04-15-2014, 07:21 AM
The whole Win 8.1/Upgrade So You Can Downgrade So You Can Get What You Substantially Already Have nonsense is arguably the first time Microsoft got a taste of what it's like not to be inevitable anymore. They thought they could release whatever dogfood they chose, and folks would come running like Pavlov's dog when the bell rang - except, this time, they didn't. The alternatives in the marketplace - Chromebooks, Macs, Android tablets, that didn't exist a generation ago are trying to teach MS a lesson. Remains to be seen if the lesson will be learned.

I realize I come off as an MS hater, and that's anything but the case - my ability to write Windows-environment software has kept me gainfully employed for a long time, but that doesn't mean I view MS as some sort of panacea.

Alternatives are, generally, a really nice thing to have.

jn1780
04-15-2014, 07:37 AM
That just sounds like something that would cause horrible back problems over time. With my current nerve issues, I couldn't lean over a screen built into my desk for more than a few minutes before ending up in a lot of pain.

I was thinking about something more along the lines of Startrek, basically a fancy keyboard.

ctchandler
04-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Gjl,
I switched over to the "Dark Side" in 2006 and I will never go back. Far from being smart, that's why I never liked pcs, you had to know too much just to use them as a tool. That's not the case with a Mac.
C. T.7466

ctchandler
04-15-2014, 12:52 PM
SoonerDave,
What about Windows Millennium Edition and Vista? One, Millennium was mediocre at best and the other, Vista was a total bust.

The whole Win 8.1/Upgrade So You Can Downgrade So You Can Get What You Substantially Already Have nonsense is arguably the first time Microsoft got a taste of what it's like not to be inevitable anymore. They thought they could release whatever dogfood they chose, and folks would come running like Pavlov's dog when the bell rang - except, this time, they didn't. The alternatives in the marketplace - Chromebooks, Macs, Android tablets, that didn't exist a generation ago are trying to teach MS a lesson. Remains to be seen if the lesson will be learned.

I realize I come off as an MS hater, and that's anything but the case - my ability to write Windows-environment software has kept me gainfully employed for a long time, but that doesn't mean I view MS as some sort of panacea.

bluedogok
04-15-2014, 08:05 PM

I wish Solaris would have won the OS wars, I was a fan of Suns, Silicon Graphics and even the NeXT computers, much preferred Unix but went to MS because I had to.

Jim Kyle
04-15-2014, 08:16 PM

Beam me up Scotty!I switched to Linux, the Xubuntu distribution, some seven years ago. No more contributions to Microsoft for me!

Prunepicker
04-15-2014, 09:07 PM
I switched to Linux, the Xubuntu distribution, some seven years ago. No
more contributions to Microsoft for me!
I've come very close to doing that. I may load it on my old laptop and
see how it works.

Are there any software issues? I wonder if Finale (http://www.finalemusic.com/)can work on that
platform? It's a very important part of my income.

Jim Kyle
04-15-2014, 09:24 PM
I've come very close to doing that. I may load it on my old laptop and
see how it works.

Are there any software issues? I wonder if Finale (http://www.finalemusic.com/)can work on that
platform? It's a very important part of my income.No Windows program will run directly on a Linux system; they use totally different system libraries and a different format for executable files. However, there's an emulation program called "WINE" that can allow some, but not all, Windows programs to work in a Linux system. I've never used WINE so have no idea whether it would do the trick for you, and I'm not familiar with Finale either -- what does it do? I know that programs exist to print scores, and others allow composition and even turn the computer into a synthesizer, but the closest I've come to any of those was something called "Band in a Box" that was sent to me for review back when I was writing a column in Windows Technical Journal. BIAB would create "improvizations" in the style of any player you selected from a list, then synthesize a band's performance of them. It was a cool toy for a while but quickly became boring.

My database recovery customers still use Windows, so I create 'virtual machines" in my Linux systems and install WinXP (and in a couple, Win2000) from my old CDs on them. This works quite well for dealing with data, either text or images, but isn't always a good solution for things that run in real time such as movies or sound...

Prunepicker
04-15-2014, 11:34 PM
JK,
Thanks. I guess I'll need to run Windows.