View Full Version : Tattoo's who got one and who wants one?

Pages : [1] 2

Garin
04-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Couldn't wait to turn 18 to get my first tattoo. I still remember the 10 hours and multiple sessions of pain. I never wanted another

zookeeper
04-09-2014, 07:44 PM
I come from a generation when tatooos were almost exclusively seen on bikers and prisoners. The thought of having one has never entered my mind.

Dustin
04-09-2014, 07:54 PM
I plan on getting a tattoo at some point in my life. I don't just want anything though. It has to be something meaningful to me.

While I decide on what tattoo I'm going to get, I was thinking about getting a finger mustache tattoo just as a tester.

How is the pain?

Garin
04-09-2014, 07:57 PM
I plan on getting a tattoo at some point in my life. I don't just want anything though. It has to be something meaningful to me.

While I decide on what tattoo I'm going to get, I was thinking about getting a finger mustache tattoo just as a tester.

How is the pain?

Everyone is different, and it can depend on where on your body you get it. My 2 hour tattoo turned into 3 sessions cause my skin welled up and he couldn't work on it. It sucked big time ,I'm sure I'm a rare case.

Garin
04-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Wonder if this guys regretting his decision...lol

Bunty
04-09-2014, 08:02 PM
When I want a tattoo, I put on a fake one.

trousers
04-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Everyone is different, and it can depend on where on your body you get it. My 2 hour tattoo turned into 3 sessions cause my skin welled up and he couldn't work on it. It sucked big time ,I'm sure I'm a rare case.

I've heard of that happening. It's rare but it happens.
The main thing is location. The less meat between the tattoo and the bone the more it's going to hurt.

BBatesokc
04-09-2014, 08:14 PM
I realized early on I've never personally known an older adult (whom I look up to or respect - or find respectable) that didn't regret their tattoo. Even my dad often stated he regretted his Marine tattoo on his arm and he was hard core marine till the end and saw combat.

That's probably what kept me from getting one. But, in the last decade or so it seems that more and more 'average' people are getting them. I know some adults now that are fine with their tattoos.

I find them attractive on some women (though in truth its probably more 'sexual' than attractive) - but only in their 'youth.' I can't imagine a 60 year old with huge angel wings on her back or one of those native tats above her butt crack. I've actually broken off dating someone in the past because of their tattoos that couldn't be hidden easily. I've dated other women that had tattoos in a discreet location, and I don't see that as a big deal.

A tattoo on me (at any age) would look ridiculous.

I do wish they'd come out with really good temporary tattoos that could stay on until you want to remove them.

kevinpate
04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Never wanted a tattoo, despite appreciating the art involved.

Achilleslastand
04-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Came very close to getting a tattoo in Oceanside California while going through Infantry Training School but due to being a led wallet did not.

boscorama
04-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Rule of thumb about tatoos: No names, no numbers.

That said, last Christmas my fam was playing Wits and Wagers (game). Question was, what percentage of American adults have a tatoo? My stepson (35) guessed about 70%, I (63) guessed 20%. I was damnear on the mark!

ljbab728
04-09-2014, 10:50 PM
This has been discussed here before and my opinion has not changed. I won't fault people who decide to get a tattoo but I think they make people look dirty and certainly do nothing to enhance anyone's appeal in the least. My daughter, for some reason, decided to get a small tattoo on her arm a number of years ago. She now has to wear long sleeves when she is at work to hide it and I'm sure she wishes she hadn't done it.

trousers
04-10-2014, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=diggyba;771638]
QUOTE]

I've got to advise against this. The finger mustache tattoo is pretty fad-ish and will carry a heavy "why did I pick this factor". It's the hipster version of the frat boy barbwire or tribal tattoo. Those may have been cool for about 10 minutes in the 90's but thats about it. Remember this is something that is not easily removed and you will carry for a while.
I can just imagine how cool those guys in the 80's thought their Max Headroom tat's where.

Dennis Heaton
04-10-2014, 08:19 AM
I prefer Tattoo's on other people.

hoya
04-10-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm a square. No tats for me.

LocoAko
04-10-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a treble clef on my right shoulder blade, and at some point will get another. Yay for being dirty!

RadicalModerate
04-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Came very close to getting a tattoo one time, while visiting what was left of The Pike in Long Beach. But it was going to cost about $120 and the "Illustrated Man" who ran the place didn't have EXACTLY the design that I wanted. I don't regret it a bit. btw: I said he was the "Illustrated Man". That's what the old pictures from the 30's and 40's on the walls of the place showed. By the time I met him, many decades later, he had morphed into the Vague Blue, Green and Other Colored Cloud Man.

PennyQuilts
04-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Being a barely baby boomer, I grew up with seeing nice big MOM tats on veterans' upper arms so that is normal, to me. It isn't a bad place to put one and tends to wear well. Also easy to hide at work. But the tats so many women get and the places they put them are often creepy, to me. I mean, they aren't going to stay where they started and a cute, sexy tattoo on a sweet young thing's fanny is just not the same thing on granny, even if she turns into an old stick instead of adding the 10-15 pounds so many get during the change. I don't suppose it matters and it gives the EMS crew something to gasp over, I suppose. Just be aware that that sort of tat becomes a symbol of what you WERE more often than not.

And please god, please, please, please spare us the ladies that don peekaboo sexy tats who would be better advised to work out and eat better if they want to be more fetching.

I have an adorable niece with a super cute behind and tiny waist. She is never going to be fat (got her dad's genes) but those full body angel wings that cover her back aren't going to stay put even if she ages well. And breast tats? Wouldn't advise it.

All that being said, I really enjoy the sight of a pretty colored tat that is well done. I just don't think it is the kind of thing that ages well. And at the end of the day, no matter how pretty, you're still wearing a cartoon. And no neck tattoos. And women, just because it is behind your ear so YOU can't see it when you look in the mirror doesn't mean the rest of us don't see it. It sort of makes you look dumb - like a kid who covers their eyes and thinks they are invisible.

Rules, rules, rules - I know.

Zuplar
04-10-2014, 10:15 AM
I don't have any myself, but have thought on getting an upper arm one that's fairly common. I don't mind them, but personally I would never get one that I couldn't cover up with a T-shirt. My sister has several and if it were up to her I think she'd get a sleeve down. Still so many businesses dress code says you can't have them visible, so for that reason I use the T-shirt test. I do think as they have become a lot more sociably acceptable, you will see businesses relax their policies.

On a side note same thing can be said about men's facial hair. I know several places that don't allow it or at most a well trimmed mustache.

Wishbone
04-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Don't have one, never want one.

Pete
04-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I came close once, after my first Ironman triathlon in 2008.

There were six of us that trained for a year together then all completed the race in Florida. Immediately afterwards, we decided to get henna (temp) tattoos then wait to see how we felt about it later.

Mine wore off in about a week and I was ready to see it go and glad I didn't go the permanent route.

As a triathlon coach, I tell everyone to wait at least a month after an Ironman and see if you still want it. Most don't.

I don't mind them on other people and I never say never.

jerrywall
04-10-2014, 12:08 PM
I've got 3. Will probably get more.

OKCisOK4me
04-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Still a tattoo virgin.

TheTravellers
04-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Got one on my foot a couple of decades ago, and yes, it's true that when it's done pretty much directly on bone with no fat underneath, it hurts like hell. Had to go to Dallas to get it. Wife has one on her calf, got it about 10 years ago in IL. No regrets from either of us, and I want to get a couple more, but just don't have the extra money to do it with right now.

Dennis Heaton
04-10-2014, 12:24 PM

PennyQuilts
04-10-2014, 12:29 PM

John Hancock's signature. UGH!!

Dennis Heaton
04-10-2014, 12:33 PM
John Hancock's signature. UGH!!

They had to have done that on purpose...right?????

Just the facts
04-10-2014, 01:25 PM
I'll pass. I don't even like getting scars, let along marking my body up on purpose. The closest I ever came to a tattoo is the prize in a Cracker Jack box. Also - almost no one has just 1 tattoo.

vC3Q4uqBaGE

PennyQuilts
04-10-2014, 02:19 PM
They had to have done that on purpose...right?????

I think just ignorant and pitching to ignorant people. Your John Hancock is in the cultural vernacular and the people they pitch to likely wouldn't have recognized an accurate signature.

TheTravellers
04-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I think just ignorant and pitching to ignorant people. Your John Hancock is in the cultural vernacular and the people they pitch to likely wouldn't have recognized an accurate signature.

Rolling Stone said they did the Declaration on the other side and there wasn't room for John Hancock's signature on that side, so they put it under the Constitution. Not a very believable explanation (until we see the whole thing, which I don't believe they've posted), but they did address it...

PennyQuilts
04-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Julia Dreyfus did a great job of addressing it - she tweeted a photo of a naked baby picture of herself with John Hancock on the butt claiming it was a birthmark.

Jeepnokc
04-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Little boy angel on my calf I got the week after my wife and I lost twin boys at birth. Not that I need reminding as anybody that has lost a child will tell, you think of them daily. However, when I see it though, it reminds me of dreams and hopes taken away too soon. It has been ten years and I will never regret the tattoo. RIP Keigan and Brody.

Just the facts
04-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Little boy angel on my calf I got the week after my wife and I lost twin boys at birth. Not that I need reminding as anybody that has lost a child will tell, you think of them daily. However, when I see it though, it reminds me of dreams and hopes taken away too soon. It has been ten years and I will never regret the tattoo. RIP Keigan and Brody.

A high school friend of mine whom I had not talked to in 25 years until 2 weeks ago told me a similar story which happened to him. It put all my problems in perspective. So sorry this happened.

Lord Helmet
04-11-2014, 11:32 AM
My wife has two tattoos, but I've never really wanted one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wishbone
04-11-2014, 06:40 PM
http://iltimeout.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/andersen-nuggets.jpg

PennyQuilts
04-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Bless you guys, I am so sorry. And I never heard of a better reason to get a tattoo. Handling grief is one of those things that takes many paths. RIP Keigan and Brody.

Prunepicker
04-12-2014, 11:26 PM
I have a friend who got a tattoo because of grief. I can't tell how
irritated he became when nobody else in his family wouldn't get a
memorial tattoo.

Tattoos are so irrational. I'm not saying they're stupid. Not at all.
Tat's are simply irrational.

I believe the best tattoo is a Henna. It'll be gone by the time you
finally realize that getting a permanent tat was a very stupid idea.

Jeepnokc
04-13-2014, 06:53 AM
I have a friend who got a tattoo because of grief. I can't tell how
irritated he became when nobody else in his family wouldn't get a
memorial tattoo.

Tattoos are so irrational. I'm not saying they're stupid. Not at all.
Tat's are simply irrational.

I believe the best tattoo is a Henna. It'll be gone by the time you
finally realize that getting a permanent tat was a very stupid idea.

I think tattoos are a personal expression. They are not right for everyone. My wife thought about getting one also about the same time and I talked her into waiting because she had never thought of one before whereas I had thought of one but none had ever seemed right until I got mine. I am guessing my wife changed her mind as she has never expressed any other interest after that time in getting one. It is definitely a personal choice that no one should get upset at another for getting one or not getting one. It is kind like those big ear lobe ring holes that people get. I think they look kind of cool but I am never doing that.

mkjeeves
04-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Do have some fading teenager made razorblade body mods but no ink myself. Do admire some of the work I've seen. A friend in more recent years got a tat of an ouroboros graphic I designed for a project we were working on.

Prunepicker
04-13-2014, 11:07 PM
I think tattoos are a personal expression...
I agree to a point. Have you noticed that most of the people who are
supposedly proclaiming self expression are really expressing total
conformity to their peers?

Seriously. If you want to make a personal statement then do it.
However, the modern tattoo culture is expressing conformity to
something they are totally unaware of.

Why someone would want to think that something they permanently put
on their body will always be an expression of non conformity is totally
bogus. Believe me, in 20 years you aren't going to believe what you
currently believe to be true.

Been there (Woodstock culture)
Done that (1% Biker culture)
Got a T-Shirt (went to the bathroom)

ljbab728
04-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Believe me, in 20 years you aren't going to believe what you

Wonderful. I'm looking forward to hearing what you believe in 2034.

PennyQuilts
04-14-2014, 07:53 AM
There are certain truths that stand up over a lifetime. Speaking only for myself, I am not sure what I'll think is essential or enduring by the time I pass, assuming it's many years from now. Certain causes or sentiments have been very important to me at different times of my life. The older I get, the more I suspect it will be the small, uncontroversial and obvious truths that endure. A lot will depend on where I am in life when I die. What is important, to me, seems to shift depending upon whether I am grieving the loss of a loved one, smiling at a puppy, madly in love, sitting by the sick bed of a dear one, watching my child marry or become a parent, doubting my gods, feeling the presence of god in my life, watching a grandchild make Santa cookies, waiving at a son going off to college or war, feeling the sting of betrayal, fearing death, bickering with a neighbor over cars racing through a neighborhood, seeing a kid going down the wrong path make a stunning reversal you never expected, swapping garden offerings with a good buddy, holding her hand while she grieves the loss of her husband, etc.

OKCretro
04-14-2014, 08:21 AM
I call them job stoppers, especially visible ones on the neck or arms.

TheTravellers
04-14-2014, 10:13 AM
I agree to a point. Have you noticed that most of the people who are
supposedly proclaiming self expression are really expressing total
conformity to their peers?

Seriously. If you want to make a personal statement then do it.
However, the modern tattoo culture is expressing conformity to
something they are totally unaware of.

Why someone would want to think that something they permanently put
on their body will always be an expression of non conformity is totally
bogus. Believe me, in 20 years you aren't going to believe what you

Been there (Woodstock culture)
Done that (1% Biker culture)
Got a T-Shirt (went to the bathroom)

There is so much wrong with this post, I won't even start. Did you know tattooing has been going on for hundreds, if not thousands of years? You have absolutely no idea why any specific person gets tattoos, be it conformity, non-conformity, grief, personal philosophy, have to because you're part of a primitive tribe deep in Africa, ad infinitum. I don't even know why I read or respond to any of your posts, it's like beating my head against a 40-foot thick brick wall, sad that you live with such narrow beliefs, glad I don't know you in RL.

Garin
04-14-2014, 10:45 AM

I used to think so also, but it doesnt stop alot of them from getting jobs.

PennyQuilts
04-14-2014, 11:06 AM
I think the problem, these days, is that so many people get addicted to tats, some do it because it's trendy, and we live in an era of sound bites (actual and cliff notes for life ) that seem wise but are actually merely cute or clever. A 365 day flip calendar with profound quotes or pretty pictures might be a better investment.

I see people covered with cheap tats and I think green shag carpet. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

hoya
04-14-2014, 12:13 PM

Depends where you want to work. A girl with a butterfly tattoo on her wrist can still get a job as a waitress no problem. But she'll need to cover that up if she's working at a law firm. I do know lawyers with tats, but they're usually small in easily concealed areas.

But it's not for me. My tastes change over the years. If I'd gotten a tattoo at 20... oh god I'd probably have a star trek badge on my chest or an X-Men symbol. Glad I didn't do that.

Prunepicker
04-14-2014, 12:25 PM
There is so much wrong with this post, I won't even start.
But you started any way.

Did you know tattooing has been going on for hundreds, if not thousands
of years?
Yes

You have absolutely no idea why any specific person gets tattoos...
Yes I do because I ask people why they did it. Many, if not most, regret
ever getting one. There are exceptions.

I don't even know why I read or respond to any of your posts...
It's because I make sense and maybe because you want to expand your
beliefs instead of keeping them as narrow as you do.

TheTravellers
04-14-2014, 03:51 PM
But you started any way.

Yes

Yes I do because I ask people why they did it. Many, if not most, regret
ever getting one. There are exceptions.

It's because I make sense and maybe because you want to expand your
beliefs instead of keeping them as narrow as you do.

Wow, this is so much nonsense, I just can't even respond, except for one thing - give me proof of my narrow beliefs. You demand proof of everything, give me some proof of what you believe.

elitespy
04-14-2014, 04:09 PM
I'll be getting this tattoo when I can save the money for it

http://www.ohmz.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/tumblr_lz5ozwAqlm1roolvj.jpg

I will most likely get more too, I like tats and always have. I like what Sid said about getting the tattoo for himself, that is what this tattoo is for me. It has a meaning to me and I have my own reasons for getting it.

Prunepicker
04-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Wow, this is so much nonsense, I just can't even respond, except for
one thing - give me proof of my narrow beliefs. You demand proof of
everything, give me some proof of what you believe.
Get off of your high horse. You know that I'm right or you would have
specifically stated where you want to believe I was wrong.

Do you care to have an intelligent and civil discussion or are you fine
with making unfounded accusations you can't support?

Prunepicker
04-14-2014, 07:44 PM
I'll be getting this tattoo when I can save the money for...

I will most likely get more too, I like tats and always have. I like what
Sid said about getting the tattoo for himself, that is what this tattoo is
for me. It has a meaning to me and I have my own reasons for getting it.
That is so cool.

What exactly is your reason for the tat? In your own words. Be careful,
I'm not dissing you. I'm just curious.

RadicalModerate
04-14-2014, 07:48 PM

I'm saving up until I can get this:
http://media.heavy.com/media/2013/04/eyeball-tattoo-causes-man-to-weep-ink.jpg

and once that's paid off . . . I'm going for this . . .
http://www.ezakwantu.com/Lip%20Plugs.jpg

It's a celebration of the decline of western civilization that is way, way overdue.

TheTravellers
04-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Get off of your high horse. You know that I'm right or you would have
specifically stated where you want to believe I was wrong.

Do you care to have an intelligent and civil discussion or are you fine
with making unfounded accusations you can't support?

So when I do the exact same thing that you do, I'm on a high horse and can't hold an intelligent and civil discussion? Wow, I'm done...

Prunepicker
04-15-2014, 12:21 PM
So when I do the exact same thing that you do, I'm on a high horse and
can't hold an intelligent and civil discussion? Wow, I'm done...
You haven't done exactly what I've done. You've been on the attack.
I haven't. There's quite a bit of difference.

Prunepicker
04-15-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm saving up until I can get this:
http://media.heavy.com/media/2013/04/eyeball-tattoo-causes-man-to-weep-ink.jpg

and once that's paid off . . . I'm going for this . . .
http://www.ezakwantu.com/Lip%20Plugs.jpg

It's a celebration of the decline of western civilization that is way, way overdue.
I had Ad Block Plus remove these extremely gross images. I'm not against
anyone getting a tat. There are some things that are better not made
public, at least in my opinion, but I won't try to hinder your right to
publish such images.

Puke.

Lord Helmet
04-16-2014, 02:01 PM

I have no problem hiring people with tattoos in his day and age. I do know some folks still have a problem with them though...for whatever reason. Unless you are trying to maintain an image that someone with tattoos would tarnish in some way, I see no reason not to hire them. A tattoo has no bearing on the person's intelligence, work ethic, or overall ability to do good work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jersey Boss
04-16-2014, 03:14 PM
After 4 years in the Marines, and not getting one I doubt I would be a candidate at my age. That being said, if you are considering getting one I suggest the following. Look at some pictures of yourself from 10 years or so ago. Those clothes/haircut you thought were so cool then, how do they look now? Point being what looks so cool and trendy now, not so much in 10-15.

Garin
04-16-2014, 04:18 PM
First job interview i went to out of high school, I forgot to take out my earring and was told right then and there he would not employee anyone with an earring. That was the last time i ever wore an earring anywhere. zInstead of getting made and suing I learned a lesson that day and Im better for it. Times have changed a lot and that would never be tolerated in this day. Instead of being honest and putting it out on the table you have to make up other reasons.

Garin
04-16-2014, 07:22 PM
So you swapped your earring for a confederate flag? Do you wear a confederate flag pin to a lot of job interviews?

What's wrong with the confederate flag?