View Full Version : Gasoline Tax map.....

Achilleslastand
04-09-2014, 10:47 AM

The federal gasoline tax is the same from coast-to-coast –18.4 cents a gallon – which means any variations have been implemented by state and local governments.
ExxonMobil claims They earned about 5.5 cents for every gallon of gasoline and other petroleum products we refined, shipped, and sold in the United States.
http://www.exxonmobilperspectives.com/2014/02/07/this-gasoline-tax-map-explains-a-lot/?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Perspectives_-_Full_Site

kelroy55
04-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Isn't the state gas tax supposed to cover the cost of the roads?

ou48A
04-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Isn't the state gas tax supposed to cover the cost of the roads?
That's the way I understand it.
I wouldn't mine if our gasoline tax went up by a penny a year for about 5 years if it would be spent on maintenance, expansion and a few new miles of roads.

Plutonic Panda
04-09-2014, 11:28 AM
That's the way I understand it.
I wouldn't mine if our gasoline tax went up by a penny a year for about 5 years if it would be spent on maintenance, expansion and a few new miles of roads.honestly I wish they would raise it by about 5-10 cents and dedicate it entirely on new road and highway construction. I hope none of it is going to rail or public transit. I also thought that part of the lottery system was supposed to going to road and highway construction as well.

venture
04-09-2014, 11:41 AM
honestly I wish they would raise it by about 5-10 cents and dedicate it entirely on new road and highway construction. I hope none of it is going to rail or public transit. I also thought that part of the lottery system was supposed to going to road and highway construction as well.

It needs to go up more than that, and much of it needs to be dedicated to fixing and replacing the poor roads we have now - not expansion. Get the bridges updated and also get some of these major projects pushed through faster like 240/35. That project alone is going to impact more people than some eastern loop that residents have already successfully blocked. Get what we have now fixed and paid for and then worry about spending on additional roadways that will require even more money for upkeep over time.

Dennis Heaton
04-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Most, if not all, Convenience Stores (selling gasoline), receive "Price Quotes" at least twice per day (once in the morning and once in the evening). The typical Price Quote would look something like this...

Price Effective As Of: 7/8/2013
Base Price: $3.2745
Freight: $0.0233
Federal: $0.1840
State: $0.1700
Price Quote: $3.65184

Store Price: $3.85 9/10

Source: Carter Energy, Shawnee Mission, KS

NOTE: Keep in mind, the "cost" on the day the gasoline is delivered to the point of sell, may be lower or higher than a given days "Price Quote" after the gasoline was delivered.

Plutonic Panda
04-09-2014, 12:15 PM
It needs to go up more than that, and much of it needs to be dedicated to fixing and replacing the poor roads we have now - not expansion. Get the bridges updated and also get some of these major projects pushed through faster like 240/35. That project alone is going to impact more people than some eastern loop that residents have already successfully blocked. Get what we have now fixed and paid for and then worry about spending on additional roadways that will require even more money for upkeep over time.Ok, I was honestly going to type in 15-20 cents, but feared I would see major backlash, but that even might be pushing it.

Just the facts
04-09-2014, 12:21 PM
For the gasoline tax to actually cover the cost of road maintenance, expansion, etc... it would have to go to nearly $1.00 per gallon. Of course, if we did that people couldn't afford gasoline. It is quite a hole we dug for ourselves.

UPDATED: Drivers Cover Just 51 Percent of U.S. Road Spending | Streetsblog USA (http://usa.streetsblog.org/2013/01/23/drivers-cover-just-51-percent-of-u-s-road-spending/)

A new report from the Tax Foundation shows 50.7 percent of America’s road spending comes from gas taxes, tolls, and other fees levied on drivers. The other 49.3 percent? Well, that comes from general tax dollars, just like education and health care. The way we spend on roads has nothing to do with the free market, or even how much people use roads.

“Nationwide in 2010, state and local governments raised $37 billion in motor fuel taxes and $12 billion in tolls and non-fuel taxes, but spent $155 billion on highways,” writes the Tax Foundation’s Joseph Henchman. Another $28 billion of that $155 billion comes from revenue from the federal gas tax.

gopokes88
04-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Raising gasoline taxes is a political non starter. It simply isn't going to happen in the current political climate.

A state issued bond for roads funded by a temporary increase in gas taxes; would stand a chance of passing.

These idiot Repubs (which I am one by the way) for some reason have it in their heads that we need lower taxes to compete with Texas. That's just flat wrong. The tax burden here is minimal when looking at the total picture. The lack of good infrastructure combined with, when the state actually does rebuild a highway by the time it's done it's already outdated. (Looking at you 235/77/I44.) That hurts us way more then cutting the top tax rate by .25% will help.

Just the facts
04-09-2014, 12:47 PM
I agree that raising the gasoline tax isn't going to happen. We won't do anything about our problems until they consume us. Government at the federal and state levels have just about become worthless. The only thing getting done correctly anywhere in the country is at the City level.

gopokes88
04-09-2014, 01:48 PM
I agree that raising the gasoline tax isn't going to happen. We won't do anything about our problems until they consume us. Government at the federal and state levels have just about become worthless. The only thing getting done correctly anywhere in the country is at the City level.

Local governments are often more nimble, able to adjust and change quickly to whatever is happening in the world.

State and Federal governments always wait to the last minute to fix anything. Doing things early doesn't payoff politically.

ou48A
04-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Raising gasoline taxes is a political non starter. It simply isn't going to happen in the current political climate.

A state issued bond for roads funded by a temporary increase in gas taxes; would stand a chance of passing.

These idiot Repubs (which I am one by the way) for some reason have it in their heads that we need lower taxes to compete with Texas. That's just flat wrong. The tax burden here is minimal when looking at the total picture. The lack of good infrastructure combined with, when the state actually does rebuild a highway by the time it's done it's already outdated. (Looking at you 235/77/I44.) That hurts us way more then cutting the top tax rate by .25% will help.

To a degree it depends on how the tax increases is sold..... ?

A slogan of a penny a year for better roads or something else that sounds palatable might do the trick?

I agree with you that's its ridiculous how this state rebuilds its roads.
If I remember correctly the reconstruction of I-35 started in 1985 near the river bridge close to downtown OKC...
It's going to be close to 2020 before its entirely done though Norman.
Nearly 35 years on something like this is insane.

gopokes88
04-09-2014, 02:01 PM
To a degree it depends on how the tax increases is sold..... ?

A slogan of a penny a year for better roads or something else that sounds palatable might do the trick?

I agree with you that's its ridiculous how this state rebuilds its roads.
If I remember correctly the reconstruction of I-35 started in 1985 near the river bridge close to downtown OKC...
It going to be close to 2020 before its entirely done though Norman.
Nearly 35 years on something like this is insane.

Better roads for a better Oklahoma. Now and for our children.

When I lived in Abq they rebuilt the entire I25/I40 interchange for 270million in just under 2 years.

"The construction of the 'Big I' established a national record for the most rapid completion of an urban freeway interchange in 22 months and 3 weeks and approximately 1 month ahead of schedule. (Illia, 2002)"
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ipd/project_delivery/lessons_learned/success_stories_big_i.htm

Blows me away Oklahoma probably can't even prep the site that quickly.