View Full Version : All Day Kindergarten

Zuplar
04-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Are the majority of schools in Oklahoma half or full days for kindergarten? I have just been recently looking into this and was under the impression that most were now at all day.

Dennis Heaton
04-08-2014, 03:10 PM
I thought they went to all day kindergarten a few years back when they started the pre-k classes (in Putnam City School District). Now that my Son is in middle school, I don't pay hardly any attention to what is going on at the elementary level. I'll ask my neighbor when she gets home...she teaches at Shidler Elementary.

DoctorTaco
04-08-2014, 03:14 PM
All are now full-day, at least in OKC/Edmond

Garin
04-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Moore has both , depending on the school

Zuplar
04-08-2014, 07:50 PM
I live in Moore school district and noticed that my elementary is only half. So if I want all day do I have to go to a different elementary?

PennyQuilts
04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Things have changed. I was so afraid they'd make my kids go to full day that it reduced me to tears. As far as I was concerned, they were still babies and soon enough, I wouldn't have them. They are only little for a short time.

Easy180
04-08-2014, 08:28 PM
I live in Moore school district and noticed that my elementary is only half. So if I want all day do I have to go to a different elementary?

Moore is the largest holdout to offering all day Kindergarten for all students...Wife and I decided to have our kids take all day kindergarten at their daycare

Good article regarding Moore

Getting Ready for All-Day Kindergarten | KOSU Radio (http://kosu.org/2013/05/getting-ready-for-all-day-kindergarten/)

A freedom of information request by KOSU to the State Department of Education shows all but 14 of the state’s 520 school districts have 100% of students enrolled in all-day Kindergarten.
Moore Public School, the largest of those out of compliance, holds half-day kindergarten for more than 1,100 of its students
Superintendent Susan Pierce explains as the largest growing district in the state it doesn’t have the space to provide all-day kindergarten for every student
“Right now capacity for full day kindergarten and converting all of our classes to full day prohibit us from having all of our kindergarten classes be converted, but we do have an offering of full day kindergarten.”

Zuplar
04-08-2014, 08:34 PM
So if you live in Moore's district and want all day kindergarten and your elementary doesn't have it, you have to pay a daycare for it? I feel like since it's the law I should get reimbursed. I can't believe I pay all this money for Moore to build all these new schools and they don't cover basic education. This district is a joke. I was hesitant on moving here because Moore schools worried me, I should have stuck with my gut and avoided them.

Easy180
04-08-2014, 08:36 PM
I agree I think it is ridiculous...One big strike against an otherwise excellent school district...I'm sure it all boils down to money just like most everything else in life

Mel
04-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Mustang and Yukon have all day. Now. Yay for my Grandkids.

Zuplar
04-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Mustang and Yukon have all day. Now. Yay for my Grandkids.

Yeah I wanted to stick with Mustang schools, partially because I went there, but now I'll definitely be looking at moving essentially one block over unless I can transfer them to Mustang.

Mel
04-08-2014, 09:45 PM
I hope they let you transfer. :D

RadicalModerate
04-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Is "All Day Kindergarten" a publicly funded alternative to "Private Day Care"?
If so, I'm all for it. I just hope that the mandated milk and nap times are adjusted properly.
(that nasty local milk that was dropped off early and sat in the sun until "milk time" was fairly bad.)
(yet I was a child of the 50's and things have probably gotten a lot better for the tykes o' today.)

Zuplar
04-09-2014, 07:35 AM
I hope they let you transfer. :D

In theory they should, school bus already passes my house and I'm like 800 feet from the boundary. The problem is I believe Moore has to release the student and I've heard they don't like doing that. I know someone that was going to build a house in my neighborhood, and their daughter was a senior at Mustang. So they really liked the lot and thought since it was only 2 miles from Mustang that it was Mustang schools. But later on they found out it was Moore so they scrambled to see if they could transfer. Mustang said no problem, I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that she was a senior, but Moore said no way, we won't release her and sign the paperwork to let her transfer out. So they ended up not buying the property and moving to Tuttle. I really wish their was some way to change what district my house was located in. I'm closer to all Mustang schools, than any of the Moore schools. From an efficiency stand point it doesn't make any sense to bus schools to the other side of town, when there are great schools just 4 miles away.

Garin
04-09-2014, 06:41 PM
So if you live in Moore's district and want all day kindergarten and your elementary doesn't have it, you have to pay a daycare for it? I feel like since it's the law I should get reimbursed. I can't believe I pay all this money for Moore to build all these new schools and they don't cover basic education. This district is a joke. I was hesitant on moving here because Moore schools worried me, I should have stuck with my gut and avoided them.

No you have to camp out when enrollment is going on at a school that offered all day, if you get in it's up to you to take and pick up your child ,busing isn't allowed . I have seen moving literally camp out days before to enroll their kids

Zuplar
04-10-2014, 06:55 AM
No you have to camp out when enrollment is going on at a school that offered all day, if you get in it's up to you to take and pick up your child ,busing isn't allowed . I have seen moving literally camp out days before to enroll their kids

Well luckily this isn't something I need to worry about for a couple years, but if they haven't changed to all day, I will be moving out of the district or seeing if I can transfer to a better district. I'm not camping out for something that according to the law should already be offered.