View Full Version : Do you currently live in OKC?

Pages : [1] 2

bchris02
04-07-2014, 02:03 PM
I have noticed a lot of posters on this board are people who do not currently live in OKC. Maybe they were born here and moved away or have lived here at one point, so this question is for regular posters here. Do you currently live in OKC? If not, where do you live? Do you plan on moving back? If not, what keeps you away?

Plutonic Panda
04-07-2014, 02:09 PM
You should include a poll, would be interesting to see. I live in North Edmond and like it for the most part. I might be moving to Dubai in a few years, just seeing how things play out, I will always have a house here though. OKC is my city duuuuude.... best city on the planet! ;)

Mississippi Blues
04-07-2014, 02:22 PM
I currently live in OKC, but my life is full of constant adventures that tend to take me elsewhere. I spend much time in cities like Portland, Atlanta, St. Louis, etc. and while I have yet to actually spend time in Germany, Deutschland is a place that I expect to be spending a lot of time in in the future. With my roots so strongly tied to Germany, moving there is within the realm of possibilities as well.

No matter where my journeys take me though, OKC will always be the place I call home.

Plutonic Panda
04-07-2014, 02:37 PM
I currently live in OKC, but my life is full of constant adventures that tend to take me elsewhere. I spend much time in cities like Portland, Atlanta, St. Louis, etc. and while I have yet to actually spend time in Germany, Deutschland is a place that I expect to be spending a lot of time in in the future. With my roots so strongly tied to Germany, moving there is within the realm of possibilities as well.

No matter where my journeys take me though, OKC will always be the place I call home.That's awesome! I've really been thinking of trying to live in Europe somewhere like that for a year or so, just to experience it.

oklip955
04-07-2014, 02:48 PM
I live just outside of Edmond in Oklahoma county. Not OKC or Deer Creek, just Oklahoma county.

Stew
04-07-2014, 02:53 PM
That's awesome! I've really been thinking of trying to live in Europe somewhere like that for a year or so, just to experience it.

You'd find a new respect for roundabouts.;). You should do it. It will fundamentally change your perspective of the world.

Jeepnokc
04-07-2014, 02:55 PM
I live in OKC but Cleveland County. Been here about 7 years then spent 10 years before that living in Heritage Hills East or Gatewood. Army brat so I have lived all over the world but actually born in Tulsa.

ctchandler
04-07-2014, 02:55 PM
I live in OKC with an Edmond address and a spencer landline phone exchange (771).
C. T.

Plutonic Panda
04-07-2014, 03:10 PM
You'd find a new respect for roundabouts.;). You should do it. It will fundamentally change your perspective of the world.That's the plan. Dubai sounds really cool and I'd likely move there first, but at some point in the next 10 years, I plan on living in a few different areas in Europe.

Zuplar
04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Yes, I live in OKC city limits. Grew up in Mustang and really still consider myself to live there as I'm not that far away from city limits. So I'd say I've been in the Southwest part of OKC for the majority of my life. If I move anywhere it would be to Colorado.

Dennis Heaton
04-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Wide asleep out in far northwest OKC (The Square Mile).

gjl
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Live in Warr Acres surrounded by OKC.

CuatrodeMayo
04-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Gateweird/Plaza

AP
04-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Deep Deuce

Teo9969
04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Own a home near 46th/Classen. Live in Buenos Aires, and am loving the experience (though it's by no means all roses.) For anyone wanting to experience a nice taste of Europe w/o the cost of Europe, I *HIGHLY* recommend B.A. especially if you can't justify the expense (or visa requirements) of Europe. Plus you can work on Spanish skills which will be commonplace in the US in 20 years.

I may extend my time here. Probably won't spend much of the next 5 years in OKC, and I'll miss it more and more as everyday passes...but hopefully I can come back and impact home for the best.

PennyQuilts
04-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Grew up on the NE side, raised my family in Bethany, lived near fiftieth Western for a couple of years before moving back east (DC area) for ten years. The longer I was gone, the more I missed home. Have been back on the far SW side for four years. My kids live in NYC so I visit there, regularly.

poe
04-07-2014, 06:07 PM
I live in Amarillo now, but I lived in Edmond for awhile when I was younger. I plan to move to the Oklahoma City area in about two years. The only thing keeping me in Amarillo is my job, and I want to stay with the company just a bit longer before moving away.

shawnw
04-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Midtown

Motley
04-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Born and raised in Altus, OK, but I currently live in San Diego. I hope to retire soon and move to OKC, probably around Edmond or N. OKC.

Lord Helmet
04-07-2014, 08:03 PM
I lived in Oklahoma for 37 years. Most of it in the Edmond/Deer Creek area. I've since moved to Denver but still make it back once or twice a year to see family (usually around the holidays).

I doubt I will ever move back permanently. While the city is exponentially better than it was just 10 years ago, it pales in comparison with my current home. Of course not all cities have he Rocky Mountains in their back yard! Moving away changed my entire perspective on the state and the country. Oklahoma is such an outlier politically and socially, but I never really noticed until I left.

There's lots I love about OKC, just not enough to move back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy180
04-07-2014, 08:15 PM
After 10 years in Moore I am barely back in my hometown OKC in Talavera

bluedogok
04-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Lived in OKC for 37 years, in Dallas for two years (91-93), Austin for nine years (2003-2012) and now in Denver(since 2012).

My parents still live in the same house they bought before my second birthday, my sister lives in Bethany.

Dennis Heaton
04-07-2014, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=Lord Helmet;770379]Of course not all cities have the Rocky Mountains in their back yard![QUOTE]

Trying to think what is in OKC that could possibly compare to "The Rockies?"

shawnw
04-07-2014, 08:55 PM
After 10 years in Moore I am barely back in my hometown OKC in Talavera

I spent a good deal of the last 3 years in that neighborhood at my then girlfriend's place. Like the neighborhood.

catch22
04-07-2014, 09:00 PM
SW OKC (OKC proper). Most likely end up in Chicago, Denver, or the west coast. Just don't like it here.

Urbanized
04-07-2014, 09:02 PM
I live in OKC but Cleveland County. Been here about 7 years then spent 10 years before that living in Heritage Hills East or Gatewood. Army brat so I have lived all over the world but actually born in Tulsa.

Funny, I lived in Gatewood and now live in HH East.

Jeepnokc
04-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Funny, I lived in Gatewood and now live in HH East.

We started in Gatewood also before moving over to HH east. Both houses were on 21st street.

ljbab728
04-07-2014, 09:35 PM
NW OKC near 63rd and Meridian with no plans to go anywhere else.

Celebrator
04-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Los Angeles, St. Louis, Portland, OR, Orlando, FL , and now Edmond. Love Edmond, Love OKC, love Oklahoma, love my job. I think I am here for good.

stlokc
04-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Grew up in Edmond and North OKC. Live in St. Louis, and have since graduating college 15 years ago.

There's nothing inherently negative about OKC that's keeping me from moving back. It's just that after 15 years, I've built a life in St. Louis, with job, friends, civic connections. As much as I dearly love OKC, moving back would be like "starting over." I'm content with following the city's progress from afar.

Having said that, if I ever were to leave STL for any reason, I'd probably move to OKC rather than "starting over" anywhere else.

Thesaurum
04-07-2014, 10:09 PM
In Douglas Place.

Just the facts
04-08-2014, 07:29 AM
Lived in Norman from '90 to '94 and a few other places around the state over the years. Moved to Florida in '94 but my entire family lives in metro OKC. Would I move back to OKC? I don't know what my immediate future holds (as some of you know) but I would love to live in downtown OKC one month a year and Paris another month, but keep a permanent residence here in Jax.

mkjeeves
04-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Born at Mercy. Lived here and there in the meanwhile. I've been in my present house for almost 20 years in Council Grove.

Doug Dawgz Blog: Council Grove (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2008/06/council-grove.html)

I do not plan to move but probably will buy a second home along the gulf at some point. If money were no object, I'd keep this place, have a place in British Columbia and one in Southern Florida.

Dennis Heaton
04-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Let's see...OKC or JAX...OKC or JAX...OKC or JAX?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooM-RGUTe2E

betts
04-08-2014, 08:53 AM
I live in Deep Deuce and am likely to do so for the foreseeable future, although I am thinking about spending as much of my summer as possible in Chicago in the future. I despise July and August in Oklahoma.

LocoAko
04-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Does Norman count? :tongue:

RadicalModerate
04-08-2014, 11:00 AM
I live in Oklahoma City, but I don't live in Oklahoma City.
When I leave my house, if I go north, east, or west, I'm in Oklahoma City.
If I go south, then I'm in Nichols Hills. And then Oklahoma City.
I live in The Island Paradise known as The City of The Village.
(which is a strange name, if you think about it: not exactly redundant, but sort of oxymoronic =)

Where I used to live--miles and miles and miles away from "Oklahoma City" per se--no matter which way you drove you ended up in Oklahoma City.
That was The Center of The Known Universe known as Jones, Oklahoma.
Urban Sprawl is a magical thing, geography-wise. =)

Plutonic Panda
04-08-2014, 11:21 AM
I live in Oklahoma City, but I don't live in Oklahoma City.
When I leave my house, if I go north, east, or west, I'm in Oklahoma City.
If I go south, then I'm in Nichols Hills. And then Oklahoma City.
I live in The Island Paradise known as The City of The Village.
(which is a strange name, if you think about it: not exactly redundant, but sort of oxymoronic =)

Where I used to live--miles and miles and miles away from "Oklahoma City" per se--no matter which way you drove you ended up in Oklahoma City.
Urban Sprawl is a magical thing, geography-wise. =)Ahhhhh, so now I know why you're so weird ;)

http://reelthinking.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/the_village_004.jpg

(i'm probably weird myself although it is hard to judge myself let alone judge my judging)

RadicalModerate
04-08-2014, 11:28 AM
That tower, in the shot above, required special permitting.
They built it so you could see Oklahoma City without driving or walking.

Dennis Heaton
04-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Plutonic Panda...I can see that tower all they way from over here on the other side of Lake Hefner!

OKCisOK4me
04-08-2014, 11:59 AM
NW OKC since 2003. Before that, primarily north Edmond +/- a few or couple years in Missouri and Stillwater, respectively.

TheTravellers
04-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Born in OKC, lived in OKC for 30 years (with a short stint in Edmond right after high school when my folks moved there), lived in Chicago suburbs for 12-13 years, Seattle suburbs for 1-2 years, then the economy tanked, I got laid off because I had the highest salary on my team, only job available before my benefits ran out was in OKC, so had to moved back and have been living here for 5 years, in OKC city limits. If we have to stay here, I want to get back to where I lived as a kid - NW 63rd/May area (we're currently at NW 164th/May-ish).

Bill Robertson
04-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Born here almost 55 years ago. Still here. Plan is to be here the rest of my time on Earth.

White Peacock
04-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Grew up in Southwest OKC, and lived there for about 24 years. Moved to Portland, OR for a couple years, then moved back here, against my better judgment, for the lower cost of living. Hoping to be able to move the family out of Oklahoma within 5-10 years. I'd like to go back to Portland, but anywhere in the Northwest would do. I'm interested in Vermont, but my wife's answer to that was a resounding "NO!"...she's not much of a snow person.

I don't wholly regret moving back, since I met my wife and started a family afterward, but my work here is done and greener grasses await.

RadicalModerate
04-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Grew up in Southwest OKC, and lived there for about 24 years. Moved to Portland, OR for a couple years, then moved back here, against my better judgment, for the lower cost of living. Hoping to be able to move the family out of Oklahoma within 5-10 years. I'd like to go back to Portland, but anywhere in the Northwest would do. I'm interested in Vermont, but my wife's answer to that was a resounding "NO!"...she's not much of a snow person.

I don't wholly regret moving back, since I met my wife and started a family afterward, but my work here is done and greener grasses await.

At least you didn't "grow old" in SW OKC . . . =)
(no offense to denizens of the other end of the urban sprawl)

(downtown OKC rocks . . . as they say. and "they" are right for a change.)

Dennis Heaton
04-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Plan is to be here the rest of my time on Earth.

Pretty much the same here. My remains will go to OU Medical Center. Whatever is left when they are done with what they do, will be cremated. Then, my oldest Son is to take my ashes and spread them over my ex's front yard (if I pre-decease her). That is if my other options don't pan out.

BBatesokc
04-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Born in Edmond, went to school for a bit in San Marcos, TX and then lived in OKC (nice parts, downtown, and really bad parts of the city) until recently and moved to Edmond. Will probably stay in Edmond forever.

trousers
04-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Fairly new to Mayfair Hills. Before that spent 10 years in the Las Vegas/Aurora neighborhood.

kevinpate
04-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Does Norman count? :tongue:

More than most places do.

RadicalModerate
04-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Fairly new to Mayfair Hills. Before that spent 10 years in the Las Vegas/Aurora neighborhood.

"Mayfair" fer shure . . . "Hills"? =)

windowphobe
04-08-2014, 05:49 PM
40 years, the last 25 consecutive.

ljbab728
04-08-2014, 08:45 PM

I always wondered why my daughter likes living in Jones so much. Now i know. :)

CCOKC
04-08-2014, 10:03 PM
I live within a mile of where I was born at Deaconess Hospital. I hope to move downtown as soon as I can fix up my house enough to sell.

RadicalModerate
04-08-2014, 10:19 PM
I live within a mile of where I was born at Deaconess Hospital. I hope to move downtown as soon as I can fix up my house enough to sell.

What? Deaconess Hospital isn't already Downtown? =)
Would it be fair to say that Oklahoma City is a State of Mind? . . . =)
(and, quite frankly, in my humble, yet carefully considered, opinion, a good one)

perhaps something along the lines of . . .

anchored firmly in the past
yet flexible enough to accept
both the present and the future
without a whole lot of whining
or spineless acceptance of
whatever comes down the road
including tornados, earthquakes
or coastal newbies with money and agenda?

I really do love OKC.
Even if I wasn't born and raised here.

CCOKC
04-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Well, it does only take me about 12-15 minutes to get to work in Midtown, but I would prefer to walk. It may take me all day to walk from my house to work now.

RadicalModerate
04-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Well, it does only take me about 12-15 minutes to get to work in Midtown, but I would prefer to walk. It may take me all day to walk from my house to work now.

Good point.

mmonroe
04-09-2014, 12:52 AM
Midwest City, born (MRMC) and raised. (Minus 2 years in OKC Proper and a year in Bethany during freshman year at SNU.) Currently residing just North of FNB and West of Dick's Sporting Goods in Midwest. Lived most of those years in the "Original Mile".

Urbanized
04-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Born at Mercy. Lived here and there in the meanwhile. I've been in my present house for almost 20 years in Council Grove.

Doug Dawgz Blog: Council Grove (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2008/06/council-grove.html)

I do not plan to move but probably will buy a second home along the gulf at some point. If money were no object, I'd keep this place, have a place in British Columbia and one in Southern Florida.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen that history before. Pretty fascinating, and good job Doug as always.

trousers
04-09-2014, 07:43 AM
"Mayfair" fer shure . . . "Hills"? =)

Oddly enough...it's pretty flat.

Dennis Heaton
04-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Way down yonder in the Indian nation
I rode my pony on the reservation
In the Oklahoma Hills where I was born
Way down yonder in the Indian nation
A cowboy’s life is my occupation
In the Oklahoma Hills where I was born