View Full Version : Iconic Okemah Water Towers May Have to Come Down

Plutonic Panda
04-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Iconic Okemah Water Towers May Have to Come Down

OKEMAH, Oklahoma - An Oklahoma town that has become known for its water tower triplets may have to take its two oldest down.
The historic landmarks are easily visible along I-40, and after nearly 100 years, the towers have become difficult to maintain.

Okemah city leaders have been questioning the structural integrity of the towers for years now. The hope by many in the community is to of course have the towers restored, but Okemah's mayor says that may not be financially possible.

"My husband used to tell people that we live right under them, and I tried to explain, no, no," said longtime Okemah resident, Jerry Roberts.

For the last several decades, the water towers, one labeled hot, the other cold, have been what some would call national icons. Jerry Roberts and her family call them Okemah's treasures.

"I just hate to see them come down," said Roberts. "I think it would be sad, because they have been such a good landmark for many, many, many years, and a lot of people notice them."

"When people think about Okemah, that's one of the things they think about," said Okemah Mayor, Anthony Landers.

But age has taken its toll on the old landmarks. The "Hot" water tower hasn't been used in years, and the only tower of the two in service, built in the early 1900's was just drained Thursday afternoon.

"We've got some instability in some of the legs, and so, there's some issues there and it presents some dangers to our community," said Sanders.

"And was always afraid it was going to burst, and destroy these houses and stuff," said resident, Eric McDonald.

http://kwtv.images.worldnow.com/images/25169086_BG1.jpg

I honestly want to see these restored. They would look good. I wanted this for MWC, but it was said it would too much. I think they're neat and worth saving though. Hopefully they do.