View Full Version : Rayo OKC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

borchard
04-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I know it has seemed like the NASL folks have gone away, I just wanted to let people know:
Just got a message from the NASL OKC owners.
1. Press release is on the slate for next Monday "at the latest"
2. New logo/colors will be released. (I'm hoping it is something close to the temporary logo they released. Everyone who saw it liked it.)
3. They are finalizing their new website, FB, Twitter, and instagram social media sites.
4. Working on finalizing one of three, possible venues for 2015 right now. (Let's hope one is Bricktown Ballpark)

So;
For all those who thought they would slink off into the night, sorry.
For all those who thought Tim McLaughlin was the only person who had money in OKC, sorry.
For all the energy fanboys who were hoping that they wouldn't have to compete, sorry.

PWitty
04-01-2014, 11:10 AM
I guess I just don't get it. When you're trying to develop and grow a soccer fan base, or any fan base, creating two professional teams in the same area is just going to make it harder for both teams to accomplish that. Add to the fact that the Energy already have a head start on the NASL team and it makes it even harder for them. Oh well I guess :confused:

Richard at Remax
04-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Sorry the NASL is going to fold in a year or two

AP
04-01-2014, 12:38 PM
I don't get it because there are only like 5 people who even want that team to happen.

OKCretro
04-01-2014, 12:50 PM
I would invest in myspace.com or Ed shadid's mayor campaign before I invested in the NASL in okc.

shawnw
04-01-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm not against the NASL team, nor am I a Prodigal fanboy, but as a casual observer it sure seems like Prodigal has their act together regarding Energy FC and so far (it appears) Sold Out and NASL Team X does not. Hopefully, this is a flawed observation, they get their act together, and we have a competitive market where the "fittest" team/entity survives (or both for all I care, that can only be good for soccer fans). But so far it doesn't appear that way and people observing the same thing might have a hard time putting their hard earned money into something that seems like a riskier proposition.

borchard
04-01-2014, 04:02 PM
I guess I just don't understand people's short memories, sometimes. Why would anyone put any faith in Bob Funk's organization, given their track record of trying to run sports in this city? I just don't get it.

boitoirich
04-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Why the combative tone? If you're tying to get people to connect with your team and organization, why risk alienating potential supporters just because they have found an organization to rally behind? It's still possible the NASL team will work out better than Energy FC, and if that's your goal -- bully for you (I will sincerely be happy, because two successful teams would definitely put MLS on notice). But you can't fault people for getting behind a team that has a stadium, is working to build a soccer-specific stadium, has a full team, has visibility in the community, communicates with fans, and oh yeah -- has an MLS affiliation. So far from the OKC FC people: radio silence.

bradh
04-01-2014, 05:05 PM
The NASL's model of trying to compete with no profit sharing (which is what helps MLS be successful) against MLS will lead to a league with some teams in only the wealthiest largest cities.

Laramie
04-02-2014, 02:29 AM
Just maybe this competition will be good for the professional soccer and Oklahoma City. One of these teams (OKC Energy or OKC NASL) will survive; this could later pave the way for the MLS?

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607999646446980196&pid=15.1 vs. https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608007373086721143&pid=15.1 = https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607997885500621119&pid=15.1?

The OKC Energy has gotten out the gate with 'energy' (1,000-plus season tickets sold) because their early entry will give them that advantage. The OKC Energy will also get a boost when turnpike rival Tulsa joins the USL-Pro League in 2015. Tulsa appears to have the same dilemma as OKC with the new Tulsa Roughnecks joining the USL-Pro in 2015 battling the NPSL Tulsa Athletics for their fan base.

The Oklahoma City Energy should be positioned to win this battle as they will move into their new home (7,000-seat Taft Stadium) in 2015 thanks to former OKC NASL magnet Tim McLaughlin joining the OKC Energy camp. Will the Funks' fumble the soccer ball?

The OKC NASL doesn't begin until 2015; therefore attempting to begin an early marketing blitz could lead to confusion and benefit the Energy group. A botched OKC Energy attempt could benefit the NASL group. When it's all said and done, let us hope that Oklahoma City will be strengthened from this ordeal.

Who knows the future. Having the NASL as a competitive league to the MLS could eventually lead to a merger (MLS-NASL) involving successful NASL franchises down the road.

It happened with the NFL-AFL full merger. Jacksonville was on the NFL's radar for expansion because of its success as a USFL city (Jacksonville Bulls) when the NFL 1995 expansion gave birth to Charlotte, NC (Carolina Panthers) and Jacksonville (Jaguars) as the 29th & 30th members. The NBA-ABA merger admitting four ABA teams: New York-New Jersey Nets, Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers & San Antonio Spurs developed as a result of the ABA's competitiveness with the rival NBA.

The league battles and cities jockeying to bring the best to their communities could eventually be a good thing for those successful soccer communities. Cultivating the best is what we want for Oklahoma City.

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

PWitty
04-02-2014, 08:11 AM
I guess I just don't understand people's short memories, sometimes. Why would anyone put any faith in Bob Funk's organization, given their track record of trying to run sports in this city? I just don't get it.

I see what you did there. Stay classy. :congrats:

OKCretro
04-02-2014, 08:59 AM

with that type of statement u need to explain a little more. just cant be throwing out accusations with no proof

borchard
04-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Sorry the NASL is going to fold in a year or two
And you base that on...what exactly?

borchard
04-02-2014, 09:15 AM
with that type of statement u need to explain a little more. just cant be throwing out accusations with no proof
IGA Tennis Classic Was growing yearly in stature. But once taken over by the Funks, it quickly lost steam and was moved to Memphis.
OKC Blazers Most successful minor league hockey franchise in N. America, at any level. Funk Jr comes in, and within 9 mos has fired the GM and Asst. GM. One year later, folds the team. Claimed that he couldn't renegotiate a lease with the city. Funny, less than a year later he was able to negotiate a lease for The Barons?
OKC Barons This was supposed to be "world-class" hockey, SO MUCH better than the Blazers. I will say the Funks HAVE done one thing well, social media. The DAY the Barons were announced all of these trolls started appearing on hockey forums talking about what crap hockey the Blazers were, and basically only stupid rednecks should watch that. Well now the Blazers are gone (thanks to Bob Funk Jr), the Barons are here (thanks to Bob Funk Jr) and. IMHO, they have ran the team into the ground. They are 4th from the bottom of their league in attendance, and it keeps going down. There has been talk in several different circles that The Oilers want to move their franchise, or at least, take it away from Funk because they are not happy with how it has been ran.
OKC Redhawks In 2004 Bob Funk SR had a chance to acquire a MLS franchise for OKC when the league was looking to add 4 teams. Plans were drawn up, conversations were had, and at the last minute he decided to buy the Redhawks instead. Apparently they couldn't run that, because now, for the first time, the Redhawks are owned by an equity holding company (Mandalay Sports).
Can YOU point to ANY success that Prodigal, llc has actually had? Because I can't. I really can't.

borchard
04-02-2014, 09:19 AM
The NASL's model of trying to compete with no profit sharing (which is what helps MLS be successful) against MLS will lead to a league with some teams in only the wealthiest largest cities.
And wouldn't it be nice if we were one of them?

borchard
04-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Why the combative tone? If you're tying to get people to connect with your team and organization, why risk alienating potential supporters just because they have found an organization to rally behind? It's still possible the NASL team will work out better than Energy FC, and if that's your goal -- bully for you (I will sincerely be happy, because two successful teams would definitely put MLS on notice). But you can't fault people for getting behind a team that has a stadium, is working to build a soccer-specific stadium, has a full team, has visibility in the community, communicates with fans, and oh yeah -- has an MLS affiliation. So far from the OKC FC people: radio silence.
You are correct. I apologize for that. i have just been on another, soccer, forum where the tone tends to get a little adversarial.

bradh
04-02-2014, 10:48 AM
And wouldn't it be nice if we were one of them?

I have a significant problem with a league that is trying to compete with one already established for decades, in a sport that needs all the help it can, plus some, to grow in this country. Soccer needs unity, not competing leagues.

borchard
04-02-2014, 11:24 AM
I have a significant problem with a league that is trying to compete with one already established for decades, in a sport that needs all the help it can, plus some, to grow in this country. Soccer needs unity, not competing leagues.
So are you saying we should just "get with the program"? "Jump on the bus"? "Don't rock the boat"? I want soccer to succeed too. But I ALSO want OKC to have the highest level we can possibly get. I happen to believe that is the NASL, and not USL. I don't want us to just become another farm team for someone else. Maybe I'm alone in that. Nothing against Sporting KC. I like watching them. But I don't necessarily want to be their support system. I think we're better than that. OKC is big league city!
We have a chance to be in NASL, playing against the NY Cosmos, Tampa Bay Rowdies, etc...
And people are rightfully proud of pointing out that the energy have around 1,000 STH for the first year. Good for them, seriously.
But did you know that Indianapolis, in the first NASL season, now has 7,000 STH's? AAMOF they have had to open ANOTHER 1,000 seats! I want us to be part of that!
I have pointed this out on another forum, but last year when SoS operated OKC FC in the PDL, and amateur league, with only about a month and half of lead time, in a temporary venue they ended up averaging ~ 1,300/game. Did you know that 1/4 of the teams in the league that the energy will be playing in didn't even average 800/game? And with MLS teams moving to operate their own full reserve teams in USL-Pro, in the very near future the league will be just that, a reserve league.
WHY do we want to settle for that? If you do, then fine. I just don't get why?

bradh
04-02-2014, 01:03 PM
I get what you're saying, it all sounds good, but when your reserve league is the next logical step to THE premier domestic soccer league, who is going to be left to play in NASL. If I'm a fringe MLS soccer player, am I going to fight to make the MLS squad through the traditional method, or am I going to go play in wannabe big league, perhaps never getting the shot to play on national TV, with USMNT stars, etc. I'm not opposed to being "big league" like you said, but I'm not sure NASL is the right way. While individual NASL teams have made the jump to MLS, I think I can speak fairly confident that NASL as whole will never be (nor should be) on MLS level.

OKCretro
04-02-2014, 01:24 PM
IGA tennis? that sport has been on life support since "new coke" came out....
Blazers- pure and simple the thunder weren't going to share the arena with a Double A hockey team. Glad they took down the banners too .
OKC Barons- yes I have been disappointed but also I haven't been to a game since the 1st season, so I cant really complain. I think it hurts them playing so many of the same nights as the thunder. If they shared an arena at least they wouldn't have this problem. I am a huge hockey fan, but just cant get into the Barons. I think it also has to do with who we are a farmteam of as well.
and lastly you are blaming a guy for not spending his money? you act like he should spend his money the way you see fit? Maybe he didn't see it as a good investment, maybe it was going to take up too much time. Also I believe we were going to have to build a new soccer stadium, maybe he thought the public wouldn't support it? who knows but knocking a guy because he didn't invest in what you wanted him to is asinine.
If you wanted a MLS team back in 2004, why didn't you spend your own money for it?

borchard
04-02-2014, 03:05 PM
IGA tennis? that sport has been on life support since "new coke" came out....
You can put it down, but it doesn't make it any less true that they bungled it, at a time when it was actually growing here.

Blazers- pure and simple the thunder weren't going to share the arena with a Double A hockey team. Glad they took down the banners too.
They wouldn't have HAD to share the building. The Barons don't. The city even kicked in money to fix the ice-making equipment in the Cox Center. And I think that acting like the Blazers never existed was just ONE of the MANY dumb moves that they have made. Say what you want about the Blazers, but there were ALOT of very loyal fans. And Funk, et al.. basically spit on all of them, causing some bad blood that never got smoothed over.

OKC Barons- yes I have been disappointed but also I haven't been to a game since the 1st season, so I cant really complain. I think it hurts them playing so many of the same nights as the thunder. If they shared an arena at least they wouldn't have this problem. I am a huge hockey fan, but just cant get into the Barons. I think it also has to do with who we are a farmteam of as well.
and lastly you are blaming a guy for not spending his money? you act like he should spend his money the way you see fit? Maybe he didn't see it as a good investment, maybe it was going to take up too much time. Also I believe we were going to have to build a new soccer stadium, maybe he thought the public wouldn't support it? who knows but knocking a guy because he didn't invest in what you wanted him to is asinine.
If you wanted a MLS team back in 2004, why didn't you spend your own money for it?
So you don't like them either? And you say it MIGHT be because they are a farm team? Well all right! You are proving my point here :-) My wife and I haven't been to a Barons game in several years, either. And I was a multi-year Blazers STH.

Also, you do realize that you DIDN'T disprove anything I said, right? You didn't point to one thing they can hang their hat on. Neither can I. So my question is why should I, or anyone else, think that this will be ANY different? If I'm proven wrong, then fine. Heck, I'll even admit it! But I am choosing to put my money in something I believe in, the NASL team coming next year. I will also put my money into OKC FC in the NPSL THIS year.

borchard
04-02-2014, 03:15 PM
I get what you're saying, it all sounds good, but when your reserve league is the next logical step to THE premier domestic soccer league, who is going to be left to play in NASL. If I'm a fringe MLS soccer player, am I going to fight to make the MLS squad through the traditional method, or am I going to go play in wannabe big league, perhaps never getting the shot to play on national TV, with USMNT stars, etc. I'm not opposed to being "big league" like you said, but I'm not sure NASL is the right way. While individual NASL teams have made the jump to MLS, I think I can speak fairly confident that NASL as whole will never be (nor should be) on MLS level.

I understand what you're saying, too. But USL-Pro is NOT the next step below MLS. NASL is. Case in point, one of the MLS teams signed GK Matt Pickens, an MLS veteran. They then transferred him to Tampa Bay, of the NASL, NOT to a USL-Pro team.
NASL is the Official Tier II of US soccer. USL-Pro is Tier III. I've been following the two league for a little bit now and I have seen quite a bit of difference in the two. I am choosing to hope that OKC NASL is a hit, and that we have the highest level of soccer possible, whether thats in MLS, or not.

bradh
04-02-2014, 03:24 PM
I understand the tier system, but it would appear to me that with alignments happening between MLS and USL teams (not so much with NASL), that you'd think USL would become tier II soon.

I think that USL is going to be more of a league where your up and coming younger players, SuperDraft choices, etc will cut their teeth, and NASL will be that league for older, "fringe" veteran types (think your AAAA players in baseball, guys that are solid AAA guys, but can't ever get more than a cup of coffee if that at the MLB level). Correct me if I'm off base here.

I can see the appeal of both. I for one like to see up and coming talent, not some hasbeens and neverwillbes.

LakeEffect
04-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Not much point to arguing at this point.

But, as a point of order, I'll note that borchard joined OKC Talk shortly after the OKC NASL team was announced, and the majority of his/her posts have been pro-Lund/NASL and anti-Funk.

elitespy
04-03-2014, 07:49 AM

But, as a point of order, I'll note that borchard joined OKC Talk shortly after the OKC NASL team was announced, and the majority of his/her posts have been pro-Lund/NASL and anti-Funk.

He is the personal cheerleader for all things NASL, he is all over this board and another soccer related board talking down the Energy/Funks/Prodigal. Most soccer fans I talk to here in OKC don't care what team is here, it's just the loud minority that like to scream about which League is better etc..

borchard
04-03-2014, 08:50 AM

I agree. I AM pro NASL. That's why I have been trying so hard to get people to see it the way I see it. I will freely admit that I am totally biased. But I don't think I am biased, just to be biased. If you will look at the things I post as to WHY, I would just hope that it makes someone take a second look at the two teams. If you want to support the energy, fine. It still is a free country. I won't be supporting them, though, and for the reasons I've already stated.

Richard at Remax
04-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Well since it seems that he is part of or knows the group behind the NASL, it doesn't seem very smart to start a thread acting like a pompous you know what when they are already behind on fans and support.

I've met and dealt with a few of the sold out guys getting advanced tickets to their tennis matches and they were solid people. So to me all borchard is doing is alienating himself and the NASL for fan support in okc

borchard
04-03-2014, 08:56 AM
He is the personal cheerleader for all things NASL, he is all over this board and another soccer related board talking down the Energy/Funks/Prodigal. Most soccer fans I talk to here in OKC don't care what team is here, it's just the loud minority that like to scream about which League is better etc..

And you're a personal cheerleader for the Energy. So what? We root for things we like and believe in.

borchard
04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Well since it seems that he is part of or knows the group behind the NASL, it doesn't seem very smart to start a thread acting like a pompous you know what when they are already behind on fans and support.

I've met and dealt with a few of the sold out guys getting advanced tickets to their tennis matches and they were solid people. So to me all borchard is doing is alienating himself and the NASL for fan support in okc

I am neither. I am just a soccer fan that truly wants the best for OKC, not just "a" soccer team. I posted an apology earlier for my initial post. I did not mean to come off that way, but on another soccer forum I'm on it gets a little adversarial at times. So once again, I apologize for the way I posted initially.

elitespy
04-03-2014, 02:16 PM
And you're a personal cheerleader for the Energy. So what? We root for things we like and believe in.

I'm far from an Energy cheerleader, lol. I'm not out there pimping out the Energy to people trying to get them to see that they are the best thing out there. I want to watch some footy, that's really about it.. The fact they aligned with my favorite MLS team is pretty cool, kinda gives me a reason to want to support them. I'm just a soccer fan that wants to go and enjoy the game, I took myself out of the politics of which owner owns what and who messed things up in the passed, who has a proven record etc... I really don't care, I want to watch some soccer. If the NASL team comes in and wipes out the energy so be it, if the NASL team never happens so be it. As long as there is live soccer to watch I'll be there.

Laramie
04-05-2014, 11:31 AM
NASL, USL-Pro or MLS; we need vision?

Oklahoma City needs to serious look at building their own (downtown, bricktown, riverfront, fair park or Adventure district-Zoo) American football-soccer specific stadium and decide based on our city's growth what we want to attract & construct. Should we build; build something 'multi-use' capable of being expanded with easy accessibility for parking and interstate highway system.

1. Downtown Bricktown, Riverfront: will require land acquisition, infrastructure & parking.

Pros: Easy access to food & hotel establishments
Cons: Rising construction costs in the area.

2. Fair Park: City owned land, some parking & infrastructure upgrades required.

Pros: More economical to build
Cons: Less access to food & hotel establishments.

3. Adventure District (Zoo): will require land acquisition, infrastructure upgrades & expanded parking.

Pros: Concerts could be held there to replace the antiquated Zoo Amphitheater.
Cons: Less access to food & hotel establishments.

We don't have to invest the bank, just the barebones necessary structure as we did with the downtown arena (aka: Chesapeake Energy Arena). There is a need for high school football, professional soccer (USL-Pro, NASL & NPSL) and large gatherings. When the dust clears, professional soccer is poised to be established in our city on some level.

Do we want to attract Major League Soccer (MLS)? MLS will be expanding four teams (2015-20) and at least one franchise on the verge of relocation.

Our track record with the NBA Thunder speaks volumes (3.75 years, 153 consecutive sellouts); we've proven that we can handle major league basketball on the highest level. A pro soccer franchise wouldn't be a threat to the NBA Thunder.

We want to offer our community a menu of year round spectator sports NBA, AHL, PCL, USL-Pro, NASL, Collegiate OU, OSU (football/baseball/basketball/softball/wrestling/tennis etc).

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

Jake
04-05-2014, 12:56 PM
A riverfront stadium would be neat.

Tydude
04-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Where is the announcement? I think this person is lying to us

LakeEffect
04-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Oklahoma FC announced a new brand (logo, colors, etc) today... sort of. They're having trouble posting the graphics link on Twitter. Also call themselves "Oklahoma's Most Elite Soccer Club." Maybe that's right, since it's a club, it's an amateur club, not a pro team...https://twitter.com/OklahomaCityFC

Plutonic Panda
04-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I think the bigger better soccer team needs to build a river front stadium and the smaller soccer team build in the adventure district...

sorry, I don't know much about soccer, although I enjoy attending sports events to support local teams and business

borchard
04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
News (http://oklahomacityfc.com/index.php?news&a=view&article_id=45)

AP
04-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Oh no... that's... bad.

shawnw
04-07-2014, 03:07 PM
i like the idea of using the scissortail in some way in OKC sports, but this ain't it. Pretty much all of the alternate logos for the Energy before they picked the one they're using were better than this logo...

BTW, I can see now why the Energy removed "Oklahoma City" from their name, to avoid confusion. There are those that wouldn't readily understand the difference between Oklahoma City FC and Oklahoma City Energy FC...

Fantastic
04-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Oh no... that's... bad.

Disagree

Laramie
04-07-2014, 10:23 PM
This is a great logo with a year to perpetuate the Oklahoma City FC brand. A different brand versus that of the USL-Pro Oklahoma City Energy.

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/sports/7310d1396902542t-okc-nasl-still-going-happen-okcfc.jpg vs. https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF4vBzfs7jx5Qx_cNgscVjas4AdOM-fw07WdOcQa9B-XNjp4raJg

Logos do not always make an immediate impression on you; this one I like.

There were those who didn't like the Thunder's logo. If you have a bad reaction to the NASL OKC logo; it will take time for this logo to cure or marinate as interest builds toward the 2015 opener. Image is all apart of the brand.

CuatrodeMayo
04-07-2014, 10:44 PM

Just because you CAN use Photoshop doesn't mean you SHOULD...

Snowman
04-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Oh no... that's... bad.

A lot of team logos are only likeable out of nostagia

theanvil
04-08-2014, 06:49 AM
I love the crest. It reminds me of the traditional logos of some of the established European clubs.

Rover
04-08-2014, 08:16 AM
The three color Oklahoma City FC is just tricked up and distracting, actually visually emphasizing CITY. Just use white and keep it clean and classy. Some designer is trying too hard. Sometimes less is more.

Laramie
04-08-2014, 09:18 AM
The three color Oklahoma City FC is just tricked up and distracting, actually visually emphasizing CITY. Just use white and keep it clean and classy. Some designer is trying too hard. Sometimes less is more.

Agee it could have used more white space. Studies show that white space has been used to enhance an advertisement.

borchard
04-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Really solid start to the NASL season. Here's hoping that it continues all year.
(3) teams had over 7,000
(1) team had 11,000!
Lowest attendance was over 3,000
Right now, Indy is averaging almost as many people as DC United.
They are averaging MORE than Chivas USA.
I know Buck Shaw only holds 10,525, but they are averaging more than SJ Quakes! :)
Even though people seem disappointed by the Cosmos first game, it's over 1,000 more than their season average last year.
And compare that to USL-Pro.
They already have (4) teams averaging 1,000 or less.
Biggest crowd so far is only 5,000

Edgar
04-14-2014, 11:52 AM

for real- they got a Mormon from Utah to run hockey and wonder why you can take a nap in the place. Heard you won't be able to get a beverage at the match. What is this Afganistan. Funk v Lund, the smart $ has to be on Brad. He knows the town like the arrogant Funk Jr never will.

Plutonic Panda
04-14-2014, 03:43 PM
for real- they got a Mormon from Utah to run hockey and wonder why you can take a nap in the place.http://v.cdn.vine.co/r/thumbs/DCCCF1C0FB986160295410135040_1ca1cfab4e9.3.1.mp4__ A2zJ2XF4Grtuq2NfHG8tVQvJmmlyC2op72BMsKXbAfdwHqSlUs OKp7N7StTf.DX.jpg?versionId=ImToA5T2oI.SZZym9Vd5Wo PD509gE_Lm

bradh
04-14-2014, 07:52 PM
for real- they got a Mormon from Utah to run hockey and wonder why you can take a nap in the place. Heard you won't be able to get a beverage at the match. What is this Afganistan. Funk v Lund, the smart $ has to be on Brad. He knows the town like the arrogant Funk Jr never will.

Mormon from Utah that has beer specials every Friday home game.

Can't get a beer at home games for one season. Next season it's a non-issue.

People who hate the Funks seem to be old nostalgic folk who just hate that they don't have the 89er's or Blazers anymore. News flash...those teams wouldn't be half of what they were if they had to compete with the Thunder like the Redhawks and Barons currently do.

borchard
04-15-2014, 06:48 AM
Mormon from Utah that has beer specials every Friday home game.

Can't get a beer at home games for one season. Next season it's a non-issue.

People who hate the Funks seem to be old nostalgic folk who just hate that they don't have the 89er's or Blazers anymore. News flash...those teams wouldn't be half of what they were if they had to compete with the Thunder like the Redhawks and Barons currently do.

Not nostalgia at all. Just don't care for incompetence. Blazers were the most successful minor league hockey franchise in all of N. America. That's not my opinion. Its a fact. the Blazers led all of minor league hockey in attendance five times during their history (1993-94, 2000-01, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2006-07). There were may nights when The Blazers outdrew the NY Islanders. And they didn't have to have "beer specials" to do it. In fact, the city was considered a candidate for expansion in the NHL back in 1997 before the league awarded Nashville and Columbus expansion franchises.
This is just one person I found on the ol' interwebs when BFunk announced that there was no way he could reach an agreement with the city to keep the Blazers, but somehow they WOULD give him an agreement to bring in the AHL?!?

as an 8 year season ticket holder of the blazers, i have to say i’m completely crushed by the decision. i know everyone thinks if we get an ahl team its a step up in talent, but for those of us who grew up with the blazers thats not really any consolation. we loved and supported our team through good and bad times, and were not given any sort of voice in the outcome of this decision. there will be a split opinion on whether or not this was a good move, those who always think that progress for progress sake is a good thing, and those who want things to stay as they’ve always been. i guess it doesnt really matter now, whats done is done, but i will always miss my blazers, not matter what team comes rolling into town next.

And now he's moving on to soccer. I truly hope he learns more about it, and it's culture, than he ever did about OKC's minor league hockey culture. Because he has totally destroyed that. And please don't try to pin this all on the Thunder. If that's the case, then why would you believe him about bringing an MLS team here? How will they EVER compete with the Thunder?
(BTW, all that talk (on both sides) about "we're going to MLS!" is almost total B.S.) At least in the near future, there is almost 0 chance of OKC getting an MLS franchise. So, i want us to be in the highest level possible, and have fun there. As far as I'm concerned, that is the NASL, not USL-Pro. Read my post above about attendance figures for the two leagues.

bradh
04-15-2014, 09:30 AM
well for one, they don't compete as often and there is less schedule overlap

Whoever hit the ground first in soccer in OKC was going to do the best. Right now that's the Energy. If it was NASL first out the gate you'd likely see the same response.

Dubya61
04-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Not nostalgia at all. Just don't care for incompetence. Blazers were the most successful minor league hockey franchise in all of N. America. That's not my opinion. Its a fact. the Blazers led all of minor league hockey in attendance five times during their history (1993-94, 2000-01, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2006-07). There were may nights when The Blazers outdrew the NY Islanders. And they didn't have to have "beer specials" to do it. In fact, the city was considered a candidate for expansion in the NHL back in 1997 before the league awarded Nashville and Columbus expansion franchises.
This is just one person I found on the ol' interwebs when BFunk announced that there was no way he could reach an agreement with the city to keep the Blazers, but somehow they WOULD give him an agreement to bring in the AHL?!?

as an 8 year season ticket holder of the blazers, i have to say i’m completely crushed by the decision. i know everyone thinks if we get an ahl team its a step up in talent, but for those of us who grew up with the blazers thats not really any consolation. we loved and supported our team through good and bad times, and were not given any sort of voice in the outcome of this decision. there will be a split opinion on whether or not this was a good move, those who always think that progress for progress sake is a good thing, and those who want things to stay as they’ve always been. i guess it doesnt really matter now, whats done is done, but i will always miss my blazers, not matter what team comes rolling into town next.

And now he's moving on to soccer. I truly hope he learns more about it, and it's culture, than he ever did about OKC's minor league hockey culture. Because he has totally destroyed that. And please don't try to pin this all on the Thunder. If that's the case, then why would you believe him about bringing an MLS team here? How will they EVER compete with the Thunder?
(BTW, all that talk (on both sides) about "we're going to MLS!" is almost total B.S.) At least in the near future, there is almost 0 chance of OKC getting an MLS franchise. So, i want us to be in the highest level possible, and have fun there. As far as I'm concerned, that is the NASL, not USL-Pro. Read my post above about attendance figures for the two leagues.

I, too, was incredibly disappointed in the way the Blazers quit, but you can't say that the Blazers were the most successful minor league hockey franchise in all of N. America unless you're only looking at attendance. Sure, they did have great attendance.

[T]he Blazers led all of minor league hockey in attendance five times during their recent history (1993-94, 2000-01, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2006-07).
After 17 Years, Oklahoma City Blazers Fold Up Shop in the CHL - Defending Big D (http://www.defendingbigd.com/2009/7/3/937441/after-17-years-oklahoma-city)
What if, however, you measured "success" by the financial viability of the enterprise? The General Manager for the Blazers said

Due to the current economic downturn, the OKC Blazers are regrettably closing their doors effective July 1. Despite attempts to re-organize and streamline the operation, the substantial losses from running the team have led to this business decision.

"We have the most loyal fans of any team, anywhere, and we appreciate the unwavering support they have given the team for many years," said Bob Funk Sr. "The Blazers organization has maintained its commitment to the fans for nine years. We've tried everything to make this model work and explored every available option. If there had been any other choice, we would not have made this decision."
and they were simply pursuing a better business model.

Little steps have been taken in the last year about the possibility of an American Hockey League franchise coming to Oklahoma City.
A major one was taken Thursday, when the Oklahoma City Blazers of the Central Hockey League announced they were suspending operations for an indefinite period.
The decision coincides with Express Sports filing paperwork to start negotiations with a "prospective AHL franchise,” according to city documents.
End of the road for Blazers: Team suspends operations; AHL franchise could be coming | News OK (http://newsok.com/end-of-the-road-for-blazers-team-suspends-operations-ahl-franchise-could-be-coming/article/3382580)
If they're making money with the Barons (and I'll bet they are), then perhaps their "incompetence" with the Blazers led to a good fan base here for the a better business model in the Barons.
I'm only mad at Express Sports that they seem to have given so many tickets away but I never got one!!!!

Edgar
04-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Go to a Barons game Dubya- not speaking figuratively, you can take a nap in the place. No way they're coming close to breaking even. Went from no comps to giving away cars pretty quickly. Wonder who's cover operating deficit, and who is paying for all those cars they're giving away.The pizza vendor literally resting on his elbows. My buddie and I have multiple beverages and tip and they act so delighted like it never happens anymore. OKC had a long passionate vibrant hockey culture and Funk Jr arrives with his faith and family bs and insults all the hockey fans in town and kills the sport, and now our plutocrats putting all their support behind Funk rather than a proven winner like Brad Lund. Small time town.

bradh
04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
If hockey fans were so diehard they'd still go to games. It's not like you have an owner who is releasing a winning team (Jeff Loria and the Marlins) or the old Chicago Blackhwaks who didn't show games on TV. It's freaking AHL hockey, there should be no reason for old Blazers fans not to keep going to games. I guess I'm just confused what's keeping the old blowhard Blazer fans from going to and supporting Barons games.

Faith and family BS? Were old Barons games places for satanic worship or something? What does that have to do with anything?

I just don't understand what has people so bent out of shape about the losing the Blazers and getting an upgrade in quality of hockey here.

Dubya61
04-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Go to a Barons game Dubya- not speaking figuratively, you can take a nap in the place. No way they're coming close to breaking even. Went from no comps to giving away cars pretty quickly. Wonder who's cover operating deficit, and who is paying for all those cars they're giving away.The pizza vendor literally resting on his elbows. My buddie and I have multiple beverages and tip and they act so delighted like it never happens anymore. OKC had a long passionate vibrant hockey culture and Funk Jr arrives with his faith and family bs and insults all the hockey fans in town and kills the sport, and now our plutocrats putting all their support behind Funk rather than a proven winner like Brad Lund. Small time town.

I've been to several Barons games and, with the exception of the inaugural game, loved it! Didn't nap once or feel the inclination to -- I was there to watch hockey, not participate in a hockey-themed rave.
Bob Funk, Jr. was involved in the Blazers operations as well as the Barons. It's not like he has the reverse Midas touch and suddenly the Barons suck where the Blazers were kings.
I honestly don't know how the pizza vendor's success ties into your point, and I don't care. All I'm saying is that a lot of Blazers fans are butt hurt about the way the transition was managed, and I understand that, but Prodigal Hockey and the Funks aren't the arch-villains you or borchard portray them to be. In fact, as much fun as I had at Blazers (and now Barons) games, I applaud them for keeping the husk of an business the Blazers apparently were alive for so long.
Times change. Situations change. The OKC the Blazers seem to have succeeded in is not the OKC the Barons have to compete in.
Maybe you should reduce your beverage intake and look at the reality without beer goggles. I'd say that the Barons are doing OK as an NFL affiliate team.

Richard at Remax
04-15-2014, 12:07 PM
I bet those seats that are covered up by sponsors keep them treading water in the financial department. that's just easy money for the Barons.

I go to my fair share of games. I love it. ITs not as gritty as the blazers but ill take quality over the CHL any day. Also, I think the lack of rivalries and the inconsistent rosters turn some fans off.

At the end of the day it is what it is. Minor league hockey with about 2500-3500 die hard hockey fans there every game. I think the same will happen for the Energy as well.

Edgar
04-15-2014, 12:28 PM
I've been to several Barons games and, with the exception of the inaugural game, loved it! Didn't nap once or feel the inclination to -- I was there to watch hockey, not participate in a hockey-themed rave.
Bob Funk, Jr. was involved in the Blazers operations as well as the Barons. It's not like he has the reverse Midas touch and suddenly the Barons suck where the Blazers were kings.
I honestly don't know how the pizza vendor's success ties into your point, and I don't care. All I'm saying is that a lot of Blazers fans are butt hurt about the way the transition was managed, and I understand that, but Prodigal Hockey and the Funks aren't the arch-villains you or borchard portray them to be. In fact, as much fun as I had at Blazers (and now Barons) games, I applaud them for keeping the husk of an business the Blazers apparently were alive for so long.
Times change. Situations change. The OKC the Blazers seem to have succeeded in is not the OKC the Barons have to compete in.
Maybe you should reduce your beverage intake and look at the reality without beer goggles. I'd say that the Barons are doing OK as an NFL affiliate team.

Point is about the lonely pizza vendor- it's a totally different crowd and atmosphere. No more passionate raucous crowds selling out concessions and lined up 10 deep at the merchandise booth. Jr had plans to change the hockey culture of OKC and bestow the gift of AHL to the city. And from the looks of actual people in the arena at a home game the new culture appealed to about 700- 800 folks, unless they're giving away a car. Mgmt seemed to be proud new people were buying tixs rather than the old hockey guard. Get what you wish for. You're right, it's not the same OKC. The town used to have a beloved hockey team. It's the arrogant elitists like Funk Jr that are trying to make the town into something it isn't. Hockey fans in OKC are blue coller people who like to put on a team jersey for a Sat night game and spill beer while pounding on the glass and shouting at the opposition. Jr ran everyone off and ruined hockey in OKC.

jerrywall
04-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Jeeze, this obsession on division, throwing around words like plutocrats and elitists. It's like the Mayoral election all over again.

There's no problem with 2 teams in town, and an improved soccer culture will benefit everyone. However, those obsessed with being divisive will turn people off as quick as Shadid did.

Funk obviously has something going for him considering he was able to beat out the OKC FC for the USL Pro slot. Folks can act like they wanted the NASL affiliation all along, but that's not true.. it was the second choice.

I see us as getting the best of both worlds. We have Division 2 soccer with the NASL, with higher salaries, and more visibility. But we also have the USL Pro team, with MLS affiliation, and the opportunity for loaned players and to potentially see players move to and from MLS. Win-Win, and I think there are enough soccer fans in OKC to support both, unless folks turn it into an either/or scenario. In that case, I'd say the team that's active right now would end up with the advantage.

Edgar
04-15-2014, 01:10 PM
happens every time there is an oil boom Jerry. The oilies get all puffed up and think they're high society and start building huge wine cellars.
Funk Jr's main problem with running hockey in town is he has a real disdain for the people who are the actual hockey lovers in town. Definitely some elitism at work there and it sure seems blazer fans took notice.

LakeEffect
04-15-2014, 01:19 PM
This thread isn't about hockey, it's about NASL.