View Full Version : Rayo OKC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

borchard
02-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Good guys at my new favorite coffee shop! :-)

Urbanized
02-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Considering OKC's new and very successful affiliation with the Dodgers, I would say that your gut instinct on not taking over the ballpark is correct.

borchard
02-03-2016, 01:48 PM

borchard
02-03-2016, 01:48 PM

borchard
02-03-2016, 01:49 PM

borchard
02-03-2016, 03:12 PM

bradh
02-03-2016, 03:32 PM

Cuauhtemoc Blanco is coming to Rayo? :)

(kidding, was the first guy that came to mind. Could be anyone, Hispanic covers a large group of nations)

jerrywall
02-03-2016, 09:28 PM
So I'm a non traditional soccer fan trying to get into it. Got into rugby sevens a few years back and been watching soccer as I can at Skinny Slims. I don't know names, so can folks tell me as a OKC guy who I should be excited about and why on these players? Are they names a fan should know?

borchard
02-04-2016, 08:18 AM
So I'm a non traditional soccer fan trying to get into it. Got into rugby sevens a few years back and been watching soccer as I can at Skinny Slims. I don't know names, so can folks tell me as a OKC guy who I should be excited about and why on these players? Are they names a fan should know?

OF the players signed so far;

Michel - He has played in MLS for FC Dallas fro several years, including this last year. He is a 6' 2'' defender with a wicked foot for set pieces.
Derek Boateng - He has played 46 times for Ghana, including (2) World Cups. He also played in the EPL for Fullham.
Sebastian Velasquez - He has MLS experience, and is super-exciting to watch. Here is a YouTube video of him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUhqZODj6ZI
Billy Forbes - Only his 3rd pro season. He is the team captain for his national team, Turks and Caicos. In his rookie season in 2014 he lead NASL in assists.

borchard
02-04-2016, 11:16 AM
New player signing to be announced!
Welcome Marvin Chavez to @RayoOKC! Here's a little Bio:
Marvin has played for the Honduran National Team 37 times (as of Jan 27, 2014), including qualifying matches for the 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cups and in the 2009 and 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cups, scoring four goals in total!
He has played in 112 MLS games, scoring 14 goals and tallying 20 assists!

borchard
02-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Saw this on Twitter:
.@JaxArmadaFC has signed both the @USL Defender of the Year and MVP in Bryan Burke and Matt Fondy. #NASL

If any player in USL is good enough, they will be bought by a NASL team

borchard
02-05-2016, 05:39 AM
Last night's Meet And Greet was great!
On one side of the picture is Marvin Chavez, a World-class veteran, who is very excited to be part of Rayo OKC
On the other side is Hugo Rhoads, a rookie joining his very first professional team, who is very excited to be part of Rayo OKC
In the middle is me. A soccer nut that has been waiting for this to happen for three years, who is VERY excited to have guys like this come be part of Rayo OKC!

Laramie
02-05-2016, 06:35 AM
Cocina De Mino Restaurant on South Penn in OKC hosted this Rayo OKC meet & greet event.

Hugo & Marvin appeared excited to be in Oklahoma City, the whole place was energized with people especially those of Latino origin, a market in Canadian & Oklahoma counties just waiting to be tapped--Rayo OKC definitely got a spigot aimed at this community.

NASL Rayo OKC got an indirect free kick last night. Talked with several people who were excited to see the presence of Rayo OKC. Brad Lund along with a number of print & tv media personalities were present.

A true atmosphere of excitement could be felt throughout this event. T-shirts, banners, back packs & flags were available along with free food & beverages.

borchard
02-05-2016, 08:23 AM
@JaxArmadaFC has signed both the @USL Defender of the Year and MVP in Bryan Burke and Matt Fondy.
12189 12190
If you really want to see the best young players you need to watch the NASL this year.

Lord Helmet
02-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Are they selling Rayo stuff yet? I'd like to get a scarf to add to my collection but live in Denver so...

borchard
02-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Are they selling Rayo stuff yet? I'd like to get a scarf to add to my collection but live in Denver so...

Check out the online store:
RayoOKC - Home (http://107772-w4m.logoshop.com/)

TreyDoggg
02-05-2016, 11:12 AM
treydoggg was there last night in the shadows. Great event. Great to see the variety of fans that came out. no doubt rayo is going to capture the hispanic market with gusto.

borchard
02-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Something from Twitter:
From @NASLoffical "Three of @RayoOKC's first 14 signings have been included on World Cup squads. That's more than any other #NASL club. "

borchard
02-05-2016, 11:51 AM
What national team? There are national team players playing in USL as well.

Three of @RayoOKC's first 14 signings have been included on World Cup squads. That's more than any other #NASL club. I would assume that's more than any USL team, as well

bradh
02-05-2016, 11:52 AM
who's the keeper?

borchard
02-05-2016, 01:35 PM
who's the keeper?

Rayo OKC has signed two keepers so far;
Daniel FernandesHe's 6’5 and has played for nine different clubs in four different countries around Europe in his career. He has played for Greek side PAOK FC as a starter. He made 86 starts in three years. He also played in the Bundesliga for VfL Bochum. His most recent club was the Greek side Panthrakikos FC where he was on loan from the Dutch FC Twente.

They have also signed Caleb Patterson-Sewell He's 6-3 and has played professionally since 2009. He's played with Carolina Rail Hawks and Fort Lauderdale Strikers.

borchard
02-08-2016, 10:00 AM
Had a great time yesterday at Skinny Slims with 4 of the new members of Rayo OKC. Billy Forbes, Caleb Patterson-Sewell, Hugo Rhoads, and Ian Sventasson all came out. Conditioning starts this week, and the first, official day of practice is the 18th. I really can't wait to see how this team gels. Even if I was not already sold out in my support for Rayo OKC, I would buy tix just to see them play, knowing the caliber of players that they have been signing.

borchard
02-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Just saw that Ft. Lauderdale Strikers just signed Matheus Carvalho, a 23yr old forward who played in the Champions League last year for AS Monaco! Definitely not a "has-been" "on his way down". The talent level of the NASL teams is really getting ratcheted up. Interested to see if NY Cosmos can actually get Fernando Torres, as reports are saying.

Laramie
02-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Meet Rayo OKC Roster

http://articlebio.com/uploads/2014/M/xMarvin-Chavez.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4wTFTbQqqO.jpg
Marvin Chávez, Height: 5′ 5″ - Age 32, Midfielder, Winger

The 32-year-old La Ceiba, Honduras native was named an MLS All-Star in 2012 after leading San Jose in assists with 13 on the season.

The North American Soccer League’s (NASL) Rayo OKC has inked Marvin Chávez to a contract for the 2016 season.

The veteran winger has six years of international experience. Chávez played in the 2014 World Cup for Honduras. He played in the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2009 and 2013 and he played in the Copa Centroamericana in 2011.

News | Rayo OKC (http://www.rayookc.com/news)

bradh
02-08-2016, 10:53 AM
borchard, I find it interesting that your angle is "check out the quality of player in NASL" when you couldn't be bothered to be told how much better AHL hockey was than the Blazers, and everyone had to hear you talk about 8,000 fans showing up to watch the junior Blazers. If Rayo does not succeed, are you going to blame OKC for not knowing what "good soccer is?" Again, this is not a slight at Rayo, but your whole push is quality of the roster, but that didn't seem to matter in hockey. The Energy certainly don't have the loyal following yet that the Blazers did, but if that two year head start ends up being too much for Rayo to overcome, it will prove that I guess this city will hitch their wagon to the first show that comes in to town despite what comes later (unless that later arrival is the top tier...I know this is a point of contention for some NASL fans though, as they think they're equal to MLS).

Laramie
02-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Meet Rayo OKC Roster

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kKx9tgbmf5c/TBwVOulS2FI/AAAAAAAAEDs/w2B2ev3ZpJ0/s1600/DANIEL+FERNANDES+goleiro+-+portugal+-+copa+2010.png http://www.metrofanatic.com/img/news/2008/patterson.jpg
Daniel Fernandes, Height: 6′ 5″ Age 32, - Caleb Patterson-Sewell, Height: 6′ 3″ Age 28
Goalkeepers

bradh
02-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Have ticket prices been announced for single games?

jerrywall
02-08-2016, 11:09 AM

The website says $12 to $40.

Laramie
02-08-2016, 11:12 AM

http://nasl.ezitsolutions.com/teamuploads/okc/images/rayo_seat-pricing-chart-01.png

https://www.rayookc.com/season-tickets

borchard
02-08-2016, 02:06 PM
borchard, I find it interesting that your angle is "check out the quality of player in NASL" when you couldn't be bothered to be told how much better AHL hockey was than the Blazers, and everyone had to hear you talk about 8,000 fans showing up to watch the junior Blazers. If Rayo does not succeed, are you going to blame OKC for not knowing what "good soccer is?" Again, this is not a slight at Rayo, but your whole push is quality of the roster, but that didn't seem to matter in hockey. The Energy certainly don't have the loyal following yet that the Blazers did, but if that two year head start ends up being too much for Rayo to overcome, it will prove that I guess this city will hitch their wagon to the first show that comes in to town despite what comes later (unless that later arrival is the top tier...I know this is a point of contention for some NASL fans though, as they think they're equal to MLS).

I guess that knife cuts both ways. I endured troll after troll for my love of the AA Blazers, and not for the AAA barons. I was lumped in as a "rube", a "hick", a "redneck", an "idiot" who just couldn't comprehend quality hockey. And then, those same people started supporting, basically, Double AA soccer. And now I'm the one touting AAA soccer. I haven't seen anyone who wants to own up to their switching sides in that debate. But I guess I'm supposed to? Whatever. If you've read my posts (and apparently you have) then you know that my animosity towards the barons/energy has as much to do with the ownership, as it does anything else. I met one of the owners of Rayo OKC almost 3 years ago. Sean Jones had no reason to reach out to me, but he did. Since then he has always kept me in the loop as to what was happening, when he could. EVERYONE I have met since then has had nothing but good things to say about Sean. I want this to succeed for him, as much as I want it to succeed for any other reason. He is passionate about soccer. He eats, breathes, and sleeps it.
And nobody (in Rayo OKC at least) thinks that the NASL is equal to MLS. They see it as an alternative. And I do to.
And actually, I wasn't the one to start that topic. One of the Energy Trolls posted a comment that said, "The NASL is a third-rate league. Talent proves that"
Well, I just wanted to prove that he has NO idea what he's talking about. If you want to support them, go ahead! But don't be deluded like that jackass and make asinine comments about the talent level of the league.
Support whomever you want.

bradh
02-08-2016, 02:53 PM
I appreciate the honest response. It was just an observation. Like I've said, I'm an Energy season ticket holder, and while I'm not so flush with cash that I can afford season tickets to two squads, that doesn't mean I won't go and watch a Rayo game or two (and actually root for them, you know, instead of wearing Timbers or Sounders gear).

borchard
02-08-2016, 03:15 PM
I appreciate the honest response. It was just an observation. Like I've said, I'm an Energy season ticket holder, and while I'm not so flush with cash that I can afford season tickets to two squads, that doesn't mean I won't go and watch a Rayo game or two (and actually root for them, you know, instead of wearing Timbers or Sounders gear).

Hopefully the two teams will get to meet in the US Open Cup this year. No matter what stadium it is played in it will be something Oklahoma City has never seen before.

AP
02-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Interested to see if NY Cosmos can actually get Fernando Torres, as reports are saying.

What a fall from grace for El Nino.

d-usa
02-08-2016, 07:22 PM
My main reservation with Rayo OKC is that right now it just feels like it is very heavily marketed as Team "Look at These Resumes of The past" OKC. But I also realize that this approach is somewhat of a necessity when you are a team with no record whatsoever and you are truly forced to advertise on the past of your individual players instead of the past of your team. I know that even established teams like to focus on the past record of any new acquisition, but "look at his resume, he will fit in great into our team resume" still 'feels' better than "look at all these resumes that never worked together". I think that seeing how the team will be marketed next year will make a big impact on how people view them as a "team" instead of "bunch of players", if that makes sense.

As far as team support, I'm back and forth. I was a fan of the Oklahoma City FC when they played in the PDL and I had a ton of bad feelings towards the Energy FC, especially towards the ownership group considering their history with the Blazers/Barons. But, despite the ownership, the Energy have grown on me and I like them. I'm also a FC Dallas fan, so that development didn't hurt my support at all.

I'm going to catch a few Rayo OKC games as well, but Energy FC will probably remain "my" OKC Team. That won't mean that I'm anti-Rayo (unless they end up playing each other in the Cup) and this city is certainly big enough for two teams. Especially since the leagues are structured different and the teams will have different dynamics with the Energy having an MLS affiliate that will see players move up and down.

Best of luck to Rayo OKC, I'm looking forward to another good team in the city and I hope there will be a friendly rivalry.

Tundra
02-08-2016, 07:45 PM
I just like their (Rayo) uniforms better......Gawd who picked green?

d-usa
02-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Have they shown the jerseys? I haven't seen them, but I was also thinking that they might copy the "original" Rayo look.

I'm mixed on the green Energy look. I think it looks good, and I like it. But it also looks like Seattle, so I hate it.

Being a soccer fan is complicated...

borchard
02-09-2016, 07:28 AM
Have they shown the jerseys? I haven't seen them, but I was also thinking that they might copy the "original" Rayo look.

I'm mixed on the green Energy look. I think it looks good, and I like it. But it also looks like Seattle, so I hate it.

Being a soccer fan is complicated...

LOL! Yes it IS!
As far as I know they will be the same as Vallecano. That, and the crest, are part of the heritage they want to use. From what I've heard even the red sash HAS to go left-to-right, so as to cross over the heart.
I know it wasn't the reason, but I think it makes it better that Rayo OKC's colors are; Red, White, and Black. Yukon's colors are; Red, White, and Black.
And I have to watch what I say, apparently, because everything I post is seen as a slam to the other team. But, my friend is from Seattle, and a HUGE Sounders fan, and he thinks the colors and crest of the energy is way to close to SSFC.
Even the large TIFO that was unveiled at the opening game last year against Sounders2 was SUPPOSED to be the Survivor Tree, but REALLY looked like a complete ripoff of the Cascadia flag. Sorry.
We are trying VERY HARD to not copy anyone else's stuff. To that end our first commitment is to NEVER sing "OH when the (WHATEVER) goes marching in..." There is no team on this continent who should be singing that song.
I will admit, it's hard though.

borchard
02-09-2016, 07:32 AM
Thought this was interesting. I really had no idea!

borchard
02-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Thought this was pretty interesting, too
Study: MLS Tickets Are World's Worst Soccer Value - US News (http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/09/24/study-mls-tickets-are-worlds-worst-soccer-value)

A "soccer price index" rated American soccer tickets as the worst value among leagues in 25 countries.

Apparently, MLS tickets cost on average $46.22, making them the fifth most expensive among the 25 countries countries they listed.

borchard
02-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Rayo OKC had their first team meeting last night. And in a picture posted on Twitter you can see a few more players that have not been announced yet;
Joel Lindpere
Lance Parker

Also, according to La Marca in Spain, Rayo OKC have signed Spanish Midfielder Yuma

borchard
02-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Been seeing rumblings about an announcement of a new NASL team in Chicago soon. Peter WIlt, who helped start the MLS Fire, and then moved onto Indianapolis to start the wildly successful NASL Indy 11 looks ready to announce that The Chicago Sting will be coming back to NASL, and possibly playing at Soldier Field. THAT would be a great road trip!

borchard
02-09-2016, 10:10 AM
http://twitter.com/KyleRayoOKC/status/697086801228353536

Laramie
02-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Really impressed with Rayo OKC's initial presence in the OKC-Yukon area; this should translate into metro-wide support. Real foot soldiers canvassing the community--acts like this doesn't go unnoticed.

borchard
02-09-2016, 02:15 PM

borchard
02-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Welcome to Rayo OKC!

borchard
02-17-2016, 06:25 AM

Practice has officially started!
#LetsGoRayo!

borchard
02-17-2016, 06:33 AM
Oh, BTW, one of the players in that picture is Robbie Finley, over five years MLS playing experience and ELEVEN Caps for the U.S. Men's National Team! Can't WAIT to see him play for Rayo OKC!

bradh
02-17-2016, 07:51 AM
Oh, BTW, one of the players in that picture is Robbie Finley, over five years MLS playing experience and ELEVEN Caps for the U.S. Men's National Team! Can't WAIT to see him play for Rayo OKC!

good get, was wondering where he was, kinda fell off the face of the planet as far as the MNT goes

borchard
02-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Really getting excited to start the season. I know the team is getting ready for a full court press on Media Releases. REALLY looking forward to the word getting out!

borchard
02-22-2016, 04:02 PM

borchard
02-25-2016, 10:13 AM
rayo okc signs u.s. National team veteran robbie findley

Zuplar
02-25-2016, 10:51 AM
Really getting excited to start the season. I know the team is getting ready for a full court press on Media Releases. REALLY looking forward to the word getting out!

I'm sure you've said somewhere, but when does the regular season start? Also has there been any talk about price for single tickets? I've been wanting to go to some soccer games, but the Energy just aren't that close. This will be much closer and I'm sure my buddy that lives in Yukon will want to go with me.

borchard
02-25-2016, 11:26 AM
I'm sure you've said somewhere, but when does the regular season start? Also has there been any talk about price for single tickets? I've been wanting to go to some soccer games, but the Energy just aren't that close. This will be much closer and I'm sure my buddy that lives in Yukon will want to go with me.

First game is April 2nd at Miller Stadium Here is the list of ticket prices. And THANK YOU for saying what you did about distance. Everyone seems to want to talk about how "far away" Yukon is. They seem to forget that A LOT of people ACTUALLY live in Canadian County.
Also, signed up a new Supporter's Group member at the event last night. He lives in Del City!
Look forward to seeing you there:

warreng88
02-26-2016, 07:40 AM
Rayo OKC shooting for 5,000 fans per game

By: Adam R. Brooks The Journal Record February 25, 2016

YUKON – The second professional soccer team in the metro area chose the name Rayo OKC. But the team will play home matches at Yukon High School’s Miller Stadium.

Team officials said they don’t expect the location to prevent fans from checking out the new product.

Minority owner Sean Jones said that with Interstate 40 and the Kilpatrick Turnpike, the stadium is just 15 or 20 minutes from downtown Oklahoma City and Edmond. Managing partner DeBray Ayala said that 1.5 million people live within an hour’s drive, and that Canadian County is the fastest-growing youth soccer region in the state.

Rayo will host FC Edmonton for its first match April 2. After unveiling most of its roster Thursday, the next big steps are training camp in Florida and revealing the uniform early in March. Showing off the kit will help address one challenge.

“For any new franchise, getting your name out there and branding” are critical, Ayala said.

He said he expects a packed house for the opener, though he said he doesn’t have a magic number in mind that will make it a success.

“We plan to have the stadium full and vibrant and festive,” he said.

Miller Stadium has seats for about 6,000 people, he said, plus field boxes.

Energy FC, which has played two seasons in the USL, averaged 4,900 fans per match last year. Josh Evans, the team’s vice president of communications, said season ticket sales rose for the coming season.

The team plays at Taft Stadium, near NW 23rd Street and May Avenue in Oklahoma City.

Ayala said that, despite having another pro team in the metro area, Rayo’s real competition for family entertainment dollars comes from just going to the movies or out to dinner. He said the club aims to provide complete entertainment at the stadium, along with a great fan experience.

Team officials seemed aware of their rivals at a media event Thursday. Ayala said the NASL offers a higher level of player and talent, and that one difference between the leagues is that player budgets are in the millions for NASL.

“Guys can make a significant career in NASL,” he said.

He called the USL a developmental league.

Several Rayo players have recent experience in Major League Soccer, and four signees have played for their national teams in the World Cup, including the United States’ Robbie Finley. Regardless, Ayala said he hopes the metro area can support two clubs, but that Rayo and its Spanish partner, Rayo Vallecano de Madrid, are in the game for the long haul.

Jones said the team plans to draw about 5,000 fans per match for the first season. He said he hopes those who attend will want to come back and buy season tickets for the sophomore season.

Long term, Jones said he would hope to see 10,000 people per match, and in the next few years consider the possibility of a downtown Oklahoma City stadium, though he said that may not be feasible. Land costs are high, and it might be hard to compete with the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder.

But he thinks the team can thrive once fans realize Yukon isn’t so far away.

“If we can get people here once or twice, that perception issue goes away,” he said.

borchard
02-26-2016, 10:01 AM

borchard
03-08-2016, 10:56 AM
One incredible factoid about the last signing, Richard Menjivar; he not only PLAYED for El Salvador, but he will be PLAYING for El Salvador this summer!
And...this Thursday Rayo OKC will announce their latest signing. If it is the player I've heard about, then he truly is a "World Class" player. Looking forward to the Event Thursday evening.

borchard
03-10-2016, 07:17 AM
So since the cat is already, apparently, out of the bag I'll go ahead and say what I've heard. Rayo OKC is expected to sign Georges Samaras later today.
The 31yr old Samaras played for Greece in the 2014 FIFA World Cup. In Greece's final group stage game, he assisted Greece's first goal and scored the winning goal in the 90th minute to give the team a 2–1 win and qualify Greece for the last 16 of the World Cup for the first time in the nation's history.

Laramie
03-10-2016, 07:35 AM
http://png-2.vector.me/files/images/7/7/779956/north_american_soccer_league_thumb.png

The Oklahoma City metro area will be blessed with two reputable professional soccer franchises represented by USL Oklahoma City Energy FC & NASL Rayo OKC.

Georges Samaras signing will be huge. Once the guys already signed mesh together & start clicking on all cylinders the impact it could have on soccer in this region will be significant.

We need our local press to really get on top of this.

borchard
03-11-2016, 06:06 AM
Great night last night. SOOOO looking forward to seeing Georgios Samaras play for Rayo OKC. The coolest part? There was an older Greek man at the event. He moved to OKC 40 yrs ago. When one of the Rayo OKC people asked him if he followed Rayo OKC he said, "I do NOW!" and pointed and Samaras. :-)

LakeEffect
03-11-2016, 07:56 AM
We need our local press to really get on top of this.

National press are on top if it, which is impressive.

NASL?s Rayo OKC nabs Greece national teamer Georgios Samaras ? ProSoccerTalk (http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/03/10/nasls-rayo-okc-nabs-greece-national-teamer-georgios-samaras/)

Grant Wahl, from SI, just tweeted this: "Still trying to process Georgios Samaras in Oklahoma City." https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/708303819789180928