View Full Version : Cleveland County Commissioner Sullivan feeling heat

venture
03-31-2014, 11:03 PM
Norman Transcript : Sullivan stripped of county board chairmanship (http://m.normantranscript.com/normantrans/db_291572/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=mnaDZSSw)

Monday’s Cleveland County Board of Commissioners meeting turned into a tag-team match that saw District 3’s Rusty Sullivan stripped of his chairmanship and fellow Republican commissioners call for his resignation or removal from office.
The action Monday follows Thursday’s multi-county grand jury report that accused Sullivan of improperly accepting $19,900 in tree, shrub and fence damages from the county’s widening of Etowah Road in Noble where he resides.
“This is a political thing,” Sullivan said following the meeting. “This has always been about politics.”
Sullivan, 61, who has served nearly two terms, did not comment on the proceedings. He said he plans to file for re-election April 9. He said he will not resign or repay the money that was for replacement of trees on his property. An estimated 85 parcel owners along Etowah Road were paid damages when the road was widened.
In 2010, county officials contracted with a third party to acquire the property and another company to appraise the level of damages.

Zuplar
04-01-2014, 02:51 PM
I haven't read much on this, this guy is actually commissioner for my district I believe, but if property incurred damage and others were entitled to the money, why would he not? Or is his amount excessive compared with everyone elses?

venture
04-01-2014, 06:00 PM
I haven't read much on this, this guy is actually commissioner for my district I believe, but if property incurred damage and others were entitled to the money, why would he not? Or is his amount excessive compared with everyone elses?

I agree if everyone else was impacted then equal compensation for everyone. Now if he was directly related to awarding out the bids and computing the compensation...then that is a big no no.

Zuplar
04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
That's pretty much my feeling. He is a citizen as well and deserves to be compensated. I could see if this being a political move, people will grab onto anything, and from the get go this kind of sounds bad, but really focusing on it, like we've stated it might just be something be blown out of proportion. But I don't know all the facts so my opinion could change if I found out he took more than anyone else. Hopefully that's not true, I get tired of reading about corrupt politicians.