View Full Version : Will The Redhawks Leave OKC In The Near Future?

Pages : [1] 2

borchard
03-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Ive been reading that the Houston Astros are interested in moving their AAA franchise closer to Houston. I also know that the Redhawks are for sale right now. Even though the Oklahoman's hard-hitting journalist simply parroted what the team representative told him, if you put those two facts together AND you add in that Redhawks attendance is 25th in MiLB attendance, behind several A, and AA teams you have to look at the possibility that we might lose the team.
Ive also noticed the last few years that they are using signage in the satdium to hide empty seat, and also bring capacity down to around 9,000. Seems like a play right out of the Barons playbook. And they STILL look empty.

OKCretro
03-31-2014, 08:37 AM
the issue with the redhawks is Nolan Ryan. Nolan was working for the Rangers a few years ago and his son I believe owns the Round rock triple A team so that is why he switched the Rangers triple A affiliate. Now Nolan works for the Astros so rumors are he is going to switch them to the Round Rock franchise, thus allowing the okc redhawks to become the affiliate of the Rangers again.

I haven't attended a redhawks game in several years. I cant stand the owners, its like its a carninval with whacky games and t-shirt give aways.

why is our culture so obsessed with getting a free XXXL t-shirt? makes little sense to me

HangryHippo
03-31-2014, 08:46 AM
I don't mind that Mandalay took over the team. I think they've done a pretty good job. But I agree with you 100% that Nolan Ryan is the biggest problem for the Redhawks.

On another note, I'd really like to see them go back to being called the 89ers.

borchard
03-31-2014, 08:50 AM
the issue with the redhawks is Nolan Ryan. Nolan was working for the Rangers a few years ago and his son I believe owns the Round rock triple A team so that is why he switched the Rangers triple A affiliate. Now Nolan works for the Astros so rumors are he is going to switch them to the Round Rock franchise, thus allowing the okc redhawks to become the affiliate of the Rangers again.

I haven't attended a redhawks game in several years. I cant stand the owners, its like its a carninval with whacky games and t-shirt give aways.

why is our culture so obsessed with getting a free XXXL t-shirt? makes little sense to me

I agree with you. We haven't been to a game in years, either. From what I have read the Round Rock team has been a pretty big success story. It help the Rangers sell their brand down in the Austin/San Antonio area which USED to be Astros territory. To combat this, the Astros want to move their AAA affiliate to The Woodlands. I don't see the Rangers changing back to OKC if that happens. Why would they? Especially since Round Rock is also 8th in MiLB attendance, and we are 25th?

SoonerDave
03-31-2014, 08:52 AM
First, lemme preface my comments here by agreeing that Ryan is the biggest problem right now for the Redhawks, above all else.

We used to attend Redhawks games fairly regularly when the kids were younger, but I think the decrease in interest is at least in part because people in general aren't as "into" pro baseball as they used to be. Its hard to get invested in a franchise at the AAA level when you go in knowing the team liekly won't be intact throughout the season as the parent club does the callups. Obviously, the Thunder has affected interest as well, given it is a "real" pro sports franchise at the top layer of its sport, rather than a AAA baseball group that doesn't have quite the same objectives.

Another problem is that has been entirely lost on current ownership was that the Hamptons (Bing and Patty Cox) made the old 89ers work by selling the family fun experience, NOT the pro baseball experience. For a long time, particularly as the farm team of Phillly, the 89ers just weren't very good. But they had good crowds, highly visible players who were involved in the city, lots of fun "fan" nights of various types, and you just don't see that from this management group.

It surely doesn't help to have someone upstream with a vested interest in getting the club away from your town, of course. And current management/ownership of the Redhakws has been absolutely dreadful in promoting the team, the park, the atmosphere, you name it. And the city should have had an absolute conniption fit when Mandalay opted to cover up second-tier seats with the banners.

The Bricktown Ballpark (and I don't care what it's "official" name is) is still a gem of a park, but it is being overlooked and lost in the shuffle of bigger things. I don't know if it *can* be turned around entirely. Getting the Rangers affiliation back would help, but getting the promotions and the Redhawks name back in the public consciousness wouldn't hurt. HEck, I see more press from and about the Barons hockey team than the 'Hawks. For that matter, changing the name back to the 89ers would be GREAT throwback promotion IMHO. Would dispatch of the old, failed NHL effort and get the team name back to some OK area roots.

Just a few thoughts.

borchard
03-31-2014, 09:06 AM
We used to attend Redhawks games fairly regularly when the kids were younger, but I think the decrease in interest is at least in part because people in general aren't as "into" pro baseball as they used to be. Its hard to get invested in a franchise at the AAA level when you go in knowing the team liekly won't be intact throughout the season as the parent club does the callups. Obviously, the Thunder has affected interest as well, given it is a "real" pro sports franchise at the top layer of its sport, rather than a AAA baseball group that doesn't have quite the same objectives.

I hope you don't mind but I posted this part of what you said on another forum where guys are always saying, "So what if it's 'farm team'? Why should that matter?"
I think it DOES matter to alot of people, me included.

SoonerDave
03-31-2014, 09:46 AM
I hope you don't mind but I posted this part of what you said on another forum where guys are always saying, "So what if it's 'farm team'? Why should that matter?"
I think it DOES matter to alot of people, me included.

No problem at all :) Glad you thought it was worthy to GET reposted somewhere :)

OkieHornet
03-31-2014, 10:00 AM
i think if the redhawks switch affiliation back to the rangers, it will help attendance and interest.

most of the rangers games are broadcast on fox sports southwest, and the ballpark is just over a 3-hour drive away, so any major-league call-ups can be seen fairly easily.

houston has never connected with the city, and they've had good teams the last few years, which you can't say about the astros (worst team in baseball the last 3 years by far).

from all the games i've been to over the years, it doesn't appear that a whole lot of fans really care who's playing - they're at the ballpark for various reasons - family night out, dollar beer night, group outing, etc... i bet the majority are just there for an outdoor night of fun.

i don't think there's any danger of the redhawks leaving anytime soon - the ballpark's still nice and in a great location, the fans still come out (although i'm not sure what attendance it takes to make or break), and they know they can't compete with the thunder but are a good summertime diversion anyway.

borchard
03-31-2014, 10:42 AM
I think it will be interesting to see if soccer takes a bite out of the Redhawks attendance this summer.

Hollywood
03-31-2014, 01:07 PM
Reconnect with the Rangers and bring back the 89er's name and I am sold.

bradh
03-31-2014, 01:28 PM
I guess I'm the loner here, but I'm glad it's Houston's AAA team (disclaimer: grew up in Houston, the Stros are my team). I will say if you want to see some great young talent, go check them out the first 6 weeks of this season before any of them get called up (mostly Springer). Hopefully Carlos Correa makes it here soon too, he's starting in Corpus.

SoonerDave
03-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Reconnect with the Rangers and bring back the 89er's name and I am sold.

I, personally, think you'd get a LOT of traction for going back to the 89ers moniker. There's a Twitter account devoted to the idea, called "Save Our 89ers" if memory serves. Haven't seen them tweet a lot lately, but they're out there.

Redhawks, as was told to me by someone I believe would know, were forced on 89ers ownership as a tip of the cap back to the investment group that spearheaded the failed NHL drive. Name, logos, colors, etc. had all been picked, and there was a desire that effort not "go to waste." So the 89ers were "cordially mandated" to voluntarily change the team name.

boitoirich
03-31-2014, 02:54 PM
It could be the NyQuil talking, but for a while I've been thinking that the ballpark would be better off re-configured as a soccer stadium for our USL Pro (and hopefully future MLS) franchise.

borchard
03-31-2014, 03:06 PM
Redhawks, as was told to me by someone I believe would know, were forced on 89ers ownership as a tip of the cap back to the investment group that spearheaded the failed NHL drive. Name, logos, colors, etc. had all been picked, and there was a desire that effort not "go to waste." So the 89ers were "cordially mandated" to voluntarily change the team name.

I always thought that was the case.

OkieHornet
03-31-2014, 05:56 PM
I guess I'm the loner here, but I'm glad it's Houston's AAA team (disclaimer: grew up in Houston, the Stros are my team). I will say if you want to see some great young talent, go check them out the first 6 weeks of this season before any of them get called up (mostly Springer). Hopefully Carlos Correa makes it here soon too, he's starting in Corpus.

houston has had great talent here the last 2 seasons, but for whatever reason, it hasn't translated to the major leagues when they get called up.

doesn't matter to me whether they're 89ers or redhawks... i'd just prefer a rangers affiliation so i could have more of a connection to the parent team.

bradh
03-31-2014, 06:34 PM
houston has had great talent here the last 2 seasons, but for whatever reason, it hasn't translated to the major leagues when they get called up.

doesn't matter to me whether they're 89ers or redhawks... i'd just prefer a rangers affiliation so i could have more of a connection to the parent team.

Eh, nothing like they're going to have passing through starting this year. The last two seasons were still horrible relics of the Ed Wade era.

Those guys were nothing but AAAA players (Brett Wallace particularly comes to mind).

zookeeper
03-31-2014, 06:44 PM
It could be the NyQuil talking, but for a while I've been thinking that the ballpark would be better off re-configured as a soccer stadium for our USL Pro (and hopefully future MLS) franchise.

Yes, it has got to be the NyQuil talking. Baseball belongs in Bricktown. A beautiful, Triple-A facility.

onthestrip
03-31-2014, 07:07 PM

Attendance means nothing to Astros or whoever really. As far as I know, the Astros don't get money for minor league attendance, that's all Mandalays. So crowds cant be that big of deal.

Another problem is that has been entirely lost on current ownership was that the Hamptons #Bing and Patty Cox# made the old 89ers work by selling the family fun experience, NOT the pro baseball experience. For a long time, particularly as the farm team of Phillly, the 89ers just weren't very good. But they had good crowds, highly visible players who were involved in the city, lots of fun "fan" nights of various types, and you just don't see that from this management group.
Family and "fan" nights is pretty much all they do. They also focus some on corporate sales but you go to any game and there is some kind of promotion or deal. Maybe they don't do it as well as other minor league operators but they primarily focus on family and group sales.

It surely doesn't help to have someone upstream with a vested interest in getting the club away from your town, of course. And current management/ownership of the Redhakws has been absolutely dreadful in promoting the team, the park, the atmosphere, you name it. And the city should have had an absolute conniption fit when Mandalay opted to cover up second-tier seats with the banners.

I don't get why its a big deal they covered up the seats. The seats aren't needed and they can sale a little more ad space. Cant blame them and why would anyone want to sit there?

The Bricktown Ballpark #and I don't care what it's "official" name is# is still a gem of a park, but it is being overlooked and lost in the shuffle of bigger things. I don't know if it *can* be turned around entirely. Getting the Rangers affiliation back would help, but getting the promotions and the Redhawks name back in the public consciousness wouldn't hurt. HEck, I see more press from and about the Barons hockey team than the 'Hawks. For that matter, changing the name back to the 89ers would be GREAT throwback promotion IMHO. Would dispatch of the old, failed NHL effort and get the team name back to some OK area roots.

Just a few thoughts.

I agree that Rangers affiliation would help, but only modesty. Basically crowds come down to how well the operator (Mandalay) gets out there and works, promotes, and provides good clean fun.

kevinpate
03-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Out of curiosity, in addition to the Redhawks Triple A team, are there other AA or A teams in Oklahoma? I've heard of the team in Tulsa (Drillers?), which I am assuming is either AAA or AA, but are there also others?

bluedogok
03-31-2014, 07:33 PM
Tulsa is the AA affiliate of the Colorado Rockies that plays in the Texas league.

OKCretro
03-31-2014, 07:35 PM
only the redhawks and the double A Tulsa drillers which they have a very nice new park.

Used to have an "Oklahoma league" that was D- ball back in the early party of last century. Ponca city Enid, and others all had teams.

One thing I have noticed this spring is how out and about the Energy FC group with the players. They were in the st pats parade and even at h and 8th last Friday night. Never heard the redhawks ever do anything like this.

Richard at Remax
03-31-2014, 08:38 PM
I get the 10 game package cause I like sitting outside, with a cold one, and watch baseball. Could really care less if they are good or not. And the fact they give me hawks cash that contributes to the cold ones is excellent.

shawnw
03-31-2014, 10:38 PM
Family and "fan" nights is pretty much all they do. They also focus some on corporate sales but you go to any game and there is some kind of promotion or deal. Maybe they don't do it as well as other minor league operators but they primarily focus on family and group sales.

My daughter made the Redhawks All-Stars (entertainment group) this year, and they have been practicing hard for a couple months to make it fun for families!

Laramie
03-31-2014, 10:52 PM

I agree.

AAA baseball is defunct in Portland, Oregon which now has an MLS franchise playing in their reconfigured baseball to soccer stadium--they are doing well. Anyone think that Oklahoma City will eventually drop baseball and possibly look at other uses for the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark?

There's also the possibility that the Cardinals could move their AAA operations to Oklahoma City.

Minor league PCL AAA baseball has to be looking at expenses associated with operating on that level. Should the leagues go back to a separate Pacific Coast League and American Association for reduced travel?

I've heard that the Bricktown Ballpark can't be expanded; if anyone knows anything about this please chime in.

The PCL's travel is vast with the merging of the Pacific Coast League & the old American Association:

http://snymetsminors.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/screen-shot-2013-08-16-at-3-56-39-pm.png

Pacific Coast League: Pacific-Northern, Pacific-Southern, American-Northern, American-Southern.
Pacific Northern - Fresno, Reno, Sacramento, Tacoma - Pacific Southern - Albuquerque, El Paso, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City.
American Northern - Colorado Springs, Des Moines, Oklahoma City, Omaha. American Southern - Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Round Rock.

The PCL stretches from Tacoma, WA (west & north) to Nashville, TN (east), Omaha, NE (north) and down to Round Rock (Austin) & New Orleans (south).

Oklahoma City finished 8th among the 16-team PCL in attendance this past season: Pacific Coast League Attendance | Pacific Coast League Stats (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?y=2013&t=l_att&lid=112&sid=l112)

RadicalModerate
04-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Weren't "The Redhawks" originally associated with "The Cardinals"?
I vote for a return to "The 89'ers".
Turn the venue over to Soccer (Futbol) . . .
And restore the purpose of The State Fairgrounds (off season).

'

Snowman
04-01-2014, 12:18 AM
Weren't "The Redhawks" originally associated with "The Cardinals"?
I vote for a return to "The 89'ers".
Turn the venue over to Soccer (Futbol) . . .
And restore the purpose of The State Fairgrounds (off season).

'

Without major structural changes, that would make a horrible Soccer stadium, for an example look at the plan in Tulsa to shoehorn a soccer field into the Drillers stadium.

RadicalModerate
04-01-2014, 12:35 AM
Without major structural changes, that would make a horrible Soccer stadium, for an example look at the plan in Tulsa to shoehorn a soccer field into the Drillers stadium.

You are, of course, correct. Regarding the ballpark in bricktown.
I knew, intuitively, that it's way too small of an arena for traditional soccer.
So . . . maybe Outdoor Arena Soccer? Or Farm Club Olympics? =)

borchard
04-01-2014, 06:20 AM
There's also the possibility that the Cardinals could move their AAA operations to Oklahoma City.[/url]

I don't think so. I just read that they have purchased the Memphis Redbirds. The sale was contingent on the city of Memphis buying Auto Zone park and leasing it to them for the team to play, so I think StL is set for AAA

Laramie
04-01-2014, 12:21 PM
A major league baseball (MLB) club will affiliate with Oklahoma City. As far as the RedHawks leaving OKC; Houston has made it clear that they would prefer having their AAA affiliate in the Houston (Woodlands) area. The Texas Rangers once had both of their farms clubs in Oklahoma (AAA in OKC and AA in Tulsa).

Is 2016 the last season for AAA baseball in Oklahoma City as a Houston affiliate? Has the Houston Astros ownership left the door open to leave Oklahoma City?

The Astros have a real interest in getting a AAA-team close to home. There’s a new and growing trend in Major League Baseball with teams having their AAA-affiliates somewhat close. The Astros want a team in Montgomery County because of its close, but not too close, proximity to Minute Maid Park. Currently its a 7-hour drive from Minute Maid to downtown Oklahoma City, where as it’s 41 miles from the Camp Strake site to downtown Houston.

Wow! "Houston, we have a problem..."

Unfortunately the Astros and Montgomery County officials haven’t had much time to get together as the Astros have been busy fighting a legal battle with Comcast SportsNet Houston. CSN Houston is currently in bankruptcy proceedings and according to papers filed in court, is around $60 million in debt. The Astros are owed a little more than $27 million and were not paid their television rights fees for the final three months of the 2013 season. This could very well spell trouble for the Astros and the prospect of bringing a minor league team to the area.

Will Astros bring AAA baseball to The Woodlands? The Woodlands Texas Sports News on Woodlands Online (http://www.woodlandsonline.com/npps/story.cfm?nppage=52173)

AAA baseball interest is in Oklahoma City has become somewhat stable; the arrival of the NBA has had an impact.

Attendance figures since opening the Bricktown Ballpark and the arrival of the NBA (Hornets/Thunder):

2014 PCL April opening Thunder attendance average 18,203 (13-14> incomplete
2013 5,797 -8th in PCL Thunder attendance average 18,203 (12-13)
2012 5,633 -9th in PCL Thunder attendance average 18,203 (11-12)
2011 5,262 10th in PCL Thunder attendance average 18,148 (10-11) 18,203 seating capacity arena reconfiguration
2010 5,479 11th in PCL Thunder attendance average 18,003 (09-10) 19,135 seating capacity
2009 5,675 -9th in PCL Thunder attendance average 18,693 (08-09) 19,135 seating capacity
2008 6,716 -8th in PCL Hornets returned to New Orleans (07-08)
2007 7,567 -6th in PCL Hornets attendance average 17,833 (06-07)
2006 7,422 -6th in PCL Hornets attendance average 18,168 (05-06)
2005 7,744 -5th in PCL

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

GoOKC1991
04-03-2014, 10:37 AM
If the Astros decide to have their AAA team near Houston, another MLB team will put their AAA team in OKC. Bricktown Ballpark is always rated as one of the best minor league ballparks in the country, it will always have a team.

For example, I think Las Vegas has been affiliated with 3 different teams in the last 10 years (Dodgers/Jays/Mets)

shawnw
04-03-2014, 10:47 AM
I will say though, having spent more time at the Brick this offseason as my daughter now works there, I've noticed some signs of age. As it's a city owned facility, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start planning for a "refresh" (renovation/update, not destroy/build) of the park for its 20th anniversary in 2018, or it won't be considered one of the best for too much longer.

borchard
04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
I will say though, having spent more time at the Brick this offseason as my daughter now works there, I've noticed some signs of age. As it's a city owned facility, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start planning for a "refresh" (renovation/update, not destroy/build) of the park for its 20th anniversary in 2018, or it won't be considered one of the best for too much longer.
I wonder how it would go over if we, somehow, WERE able to get an MLS franchise (a MAJOR LEAGUE team, not just trading them for another minor league team) and one of the options was to let go off our AAA team, and use a reconfigured Bricktown Ballpark as the stadium, just like what Portland, OR. did? Portland got rid of their AAA team, The Beavers, and added sideline seats to PGE Park to make it the home of The Timbers. And their stadium is incredible. Downtown is where everyone wants WANTS to put a stadium, but many cities don't have that option.
I have nothing against baseball, but I feel that the next "major league" sport that will come to OKC is soccer. Maybe I should re-phrase that, I think the ONLY major sport that we have a chance at getting in the next 20yrs is MLS.
Would people be willing to change Bricktown Ballpark to a soccer stadium (leaving all of the front facade just the way it is) if it meant we got an MLS team?

zookeeper
04-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Baseball replaced by soccer in Oklahoma City? Might as well get rid of hot dogs and apple pie, too.

Dennis Heaton
04-03-2014, 12:45 PM
What Sumter, SC did with their Downtown Stadium when the Atlanta Braves and then the Montreal Flyers (Expos) left town...

Riley Park - City of Sumter, SC (http://www.sumtersc.gov/riley-park.aspx)

bradh
04-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Baseball replaced by soccer in Oklahoma City? Might as well get rid of hot dogs and apple pie, too.

baseball is a dying game. i love both sports, but it's not what it used to be

shawnw
04-03-2014, 01:57 PM
I'll repost something I tweeted last week because it's topical (but I'll not abbreviate since I'm not on Twitter)...

"90% of NFL fans have never been to an NFL game... TV makes NFL fans, going to the ballpark makes baseball fans."

-- George Will (avid baseball fan and writer) on the PBS show Charlie Rose

If you're a baseball fan, I highly encourage you to find that episode of Charlie Rose on youtube (I think it was 6 or 7 days ago), George knows what he's talking about and gives a great interview that's worth hearing.

Dennis Heaton
04-03-2014, 02:53 PM
The last baseball game my son and I went to was back in the early 1990's...Braves vs Marlins. Had beer dumped all over us from a drunk sitting behind us. I haven't attended a MLB game since then. My son, however, has attended several Pirates game.

zookeeper
04-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Excellent program. I just watched the whole thing and really enjoyed the baseball comments from George Will. He is a fan's fan.

I watched it here - the George Will discussion begins at about 29:30
Charlie Rose Full Episode (Drew Gilpin Faust; George Will) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi4199393817/)

Thanks shawnw!

warreng88
04-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Is there a farm team for the Royals or the Cards? I would think those would be the next two logical teams.

blangtang
04-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Is there a farm team for the Royals or the Cards? I would think those would be the next two logical teams.

Royals AAA is in Omaha
Cards AAA is Memphis

It was confusing when OKC switched to Houston's AAA.

SoonerDave
04-03-2014, 06:01 PM
I wonder how it would go over if we, somehow, WERE able to get an MLS franchise (a MAJOR LEAGUE team, not just trading them for another minor league team) and one of the options was to let go off our AAA team, and use a reconfigured Bricktown Ballpark as the stadium, just like what Portland, OR. did? Portland got rid of their AAA team, The Beavers, and added sideline seats to PGE Park to make it the home of The Timbers. And their stadium is incredible. Downtown is where everyone wants WANTS to put a stadium, but many cities don't have that option.
I have nothing against baseball, but I feel that the next "major league" sport that will come to OKC is soccer. Maybe I should re-phrase that, I think the ONLY major sport that we have a chance at getting in the next 20yrs is MLS.
Would people be willing to change Bricktown Ballpark to a soccer stadium (leaving all of the front facade just the way it is) if it meant we got an MLS team?

No.

shawnw
04-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Personally I love baseball and would hate to lose it. But putting that aside for just a moment, because the people voted for their original MAPs tax to go toward building a baseball stadium, I would want another vote of the people to convert it as well.

shawnw
04-05-2014, 03:54 AM
For you 89ers lovers, get a free retro shirt!

Pete, please delete the accidental wrong image attached to this post.

Laramie
04-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Personally I love baseball and would hate to lose it. But putting that aside for just a moment, because the people voted for their original MAPs tax to go toward building a baseball stadium, I would want another vote of the people to convert it as well.

You are correct!

As far as I'm concerned; point them toward West Virginia and let them run...

The harm you would do to the MAPS' brand if you were to reconfigure the Bricktown Ballpark wouldn't go over with the older voters who don't understand that baseball is a dying spectator sport. MLB is currently trending toward relocation of AAA & AA operations close to home (financially viable). Warm climate states are ideal for baseball (California, Florida, Texas, Arizona).

Portland, OR doesn't have the support of a 'sales tax itself' like OKC; they are large enough (2.4 million) to support NBA & MLB with a growing retirement community; their vision about baseball is ahead. You won't see future MLB baseball in cities with less than 2 million in their metropolitan area. Milwaukee (1.5 million) & Kansas City (2.0 million) are the two smallest markets supporting MLB.

As a 'can do' city; we need to look at other alternatives for building an American football-soccer specific stadium.

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

HangryHippo
04-05-2014, 08:31 PM
For you 89ers lovers, get a free retro shirt!

Pete, please delete the accidental wrong image attached to this post.

Is this just a Redhawks ticket that you need to take?

Urbanized
04-06-2014, 08:51 AM
...Anyone think that Oklahoma City will eventually drop baseball and possibly look at other uses for the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark? ...

No.

And regarding the comments that baseball is "a dying sport," I think that is a too-strong extrapolation based on a (probably cyclical) popularity dip. Right now the game has lost some fan connection because of ongoing PED scandals, which could happen in just about any sport. But if you look back 15 years those same PEDs were (artificially) driving baseball's popularity to great heights, at least from a recent perspective. The same thing could happen again with the right combination of stars/achievements/media fawning.

Two decades ago NHL hockey was rapidly expanding and perhaps the hottest (from a fan base growth standpoint) sport in the country. Now where is it? At the same time, it's not going away completely, because a loyal fan base remains.

Meanwhile, our perception in OKC is that basketball is the hottest sport in the world, but even within the past 7-8 years people were talking nationally about how irrelevant hoop had become and league attendance was taking a serious dip. A few years before that it was being maligned as a "thug league," until David Stern wisely stepped in with dress codes and other changes. Just like every sport (other than the NFL, it seems), basketball has had ups and downs. Right now star power is once again driving popularity.

Golf? Tennis? Don't even get me started on their ups and downs, which once again are directly related to star power (or lack thereof).

Anyway, no question baseball is in a lull, but it's not "dying." It's much too ingrained in American culture for that to happen.

bradh
04-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Fair enough. I will say that NHL is making a screaming comeback these last couple years. NBC's all in coverage has helped.

The comment about baseball being a dying sport is that I believe youth numbers are way down (I could be wrong on this). The other part is, MLB is so inept at embracing new technologies and marketing, they really don't help themselves.

shawnw
04-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Is this just a Redhawks ticket that you need to take?

Seems like it. We'll find out. I'm going to try to get one very soon. My daughter works the second game. I told told her if she finds a stub to pick it up and bring it to me and I'll try to get a shirt. Obviously I will be going to other games myself, but won't be able to that weekend and I really want one of these...

My daughter also gets a one-time 50% discount in the team store. She hasn't said if I get to partake in this though so we'll see...

Laramie
04-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Fair enough. I will say that NHL is making a screaming comeback these last couple years. NBC's all in coverage has helped.

The comment about baseball being a dying sport is that I believe youth numbers are way down (I could be wrong on this). The other part is, MLB is so inept at embracing new technologies and marketing, they really don't help themselves.

The optimism for me about baseball has faded over the decades. Computer technology has had its impact on a lot of things. Theaters (indoor & outdoor drive-ins) aren't what they use to be. Visibly, I'm not seeing the growth in youth sports we once enjoyed; many factors (child safety, both parents working...) can be attributed to this. Who knows, this trend could reverse itself.

Deja vu:

Can we keep AAA baseball in OKC for a long time? We've invested in one of the best AAA ballparks in the U.S. It has been a concern with all of the talk about Houston wanting to move their triple-A operations close to home. This musical chairs game that MLB is doing with some of its double & triple-A farm system (IMHO) isn't good for minor league baseball in those current communities.

Recall 1972-73: The Boston Bruins moved their top development club from Oklahoma City (Blazers) to Beantown; we had just built the Myriad Convention Center--what a blow. The Tulsa Ice Oilers played a couple of their regular season games in the Myriad that season.

Recall 2002-03: Oklahoma City opens the downtown arena (Ford Center; aka Chesapeake Energy Arena), we lost our AFL (Arena Football League)
team (not af2); they never got to play in our new building. All was not lost; the NBA filled the void..

Snowman
04-06-2014, 07:28 PM

From a poll someone mentioned a while back;

Harris Interactive asks people every year to name their single favorite sports. NFL (35%), MLB (14%), and college football (11%) are the top three, followed by auto racing (7%), NBA (6%), and hockey (5%). What's interesting is that the NFL seems to be getting more popular, while the NBA and college basketball have slowly gotten less so.

I wonder if baseball is becoming more a regional game than a national game at this point, in part due to unlike the other major leagues it is the only one not really doing revenue sharing, with a relatively looser structure on signing the best players and the effect those have on league balance. So the largest cities that are set up favorably to afford the best players will remain the base of support, areas that their teams perpetually have virtually no chance to be in the top of the league and those without a team will gravitate to other sports teams in their area which have better balance or at least a shot they will improve in a few years.

Urbanized
04-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Bob Costas wrote a great book on that subject maybe 15 years ago called Fair Ball: A Fan's Case For Baseball. It somehow managed to delve deeply into the business side including detailed discussion on how revenue sharing could save the game and yet remain a page-turner. After reading it I was convinced that he should become Commissioner of Baseball.

bluedogok
04-06-2014, 07:53 PM
The entire AFL folded a year or two after that before being snapped up by the NFL, sometimes there are larger reasons than exist in a local market. I think the Wranglers owner had hoped to sell to someone in OKC after moving from Portland and soon after that the league had financial issues.

I do think MLB will be fine, it will never surpass the NFL again in popularity but will maintain. The Rockies were #10 in attendance last season in spite of not really playing for anything. The games at Coors Field have become more social oriented and the bulk of the fans that I see there are in their 20-30's and look like they are having a good time. Many of my co-workers in that age group go to many more games than my wife and I do (10 or so a year), they averaged in the 34,000 range for the 2013 season. I do think most of the stadiums are over built, they should be in the 30,000 range with 81 home games instead of some stadiums in the 40-50K range. Baseball tickets are still fairly affordable even for single game tickets. The Rock Pile tickets (center field bleachers) start at $4.00 a game and the most expensive (excluding suites) is $65.00 (infield club level) which is still cheaper than a Broncos ticket, 73 more games helps. We paid around $50.00 a seat for tickets to the first Avalanche playoff game in a few weeks.

Minor league ball is a different animal though, it really depends on each market and ownership.

PWitty
04-06-2014, 07:57 PM
IMO the fans that baseball is retaining are the older fans who have loved baseball all their life. I think the younger generations are much more driven towards NBA and NFL.

I also disagree that MLB is losing fans because of the recent PED scandals. That certainly doesn't help, but IMO it is the pace of the game that drives people away. We're living in a time where people are used to instant gratification. With the spread of smart phones and Netflix people are able to watch whatever they want whenever they want. I know a lot of people who are becoming disinterested with baseball because it is boring to watch on TV. It's hard to keep your attention on the game when there is so much downtime with only occasional moments of excitement. It's not like football and basketball where there is near constant action. It also doesn't help that because of the sheer number of players, it is hard to have star players that people get excited to watch and invested in. A hitter like Mike Trout gets maybe 3 or 4 AB's a game, not counting when he gets intentionally walked. And a star pitcher only contributes once every five games. A slow paced sport like baseball can't deliver the same level of constant action that a faster paced sport like football or basketball has to offer.

bluedogok
04-06-2014, 08:05 PM
I think the younger people that go to baseball games are going for the social, party aspect and not necessarily the baseball itself. Some of my younger co-workers watch it as closely as I do (I have MLB Extra Innings, some of them have MLB.tv) but the majority don't follow it that close but really enjoy going to the games. There was even an article in the Denver Post last season about that very thing. It is cheap entertainment on a nice afternoon or evening and since tickets for the Rockies are not that hard to get they can get a big group seated together fairly easily.

Only the media seems to make a big deal out of the PED scandals, the average fan really doesn't seem to care. As a long time fan I don't really care about it. That was a by product of that era, if someone gets caught now...nail 'em but I really don't care if something happened 10-15 years ago. They just need to let it go and move on.

PWitty
04-06-2014, 08:19 PM
I think the younger people that go to baseball games are going for the social, party aspect and not necessarily the baseball itself. Some of my younger co-workers watch it as closely as I do (I have MLB Extra Innings, some of them have MLB.tv) but the majority don't follow it that close but really enjoy going to the games. There was even an article in the Denver Post last season about that very thing. It is cheap entertainment on a nice afternoon or evening and since tickets for the Rockies are not that hard to get they can get a big group seated together fairly easily.

Only the media seems to make a big deal out of the PED scandals, the average fan really doesn't seem to care. As a long time fan I don't really care about it. That was a by product of that era, if someone gets caught now...nail 'em but I really don't care if something happened 10-15 years ago. They just need to let it go and move on.

Yeah I definitely agree on the social experience of going to a game. Even when the Royals have been terrible it's never a bad time getting everyone together and heading to the stadium. You don't even have to be a baseball fan to enjoy tailgating and having some cold ones with your buddies. There's something relaxing about being outside on a sunny day and hearing the crack of the ball off the bat. Sadly watching games on TV doesn't have that same appeal to a lot of people.

Zuplar
04-09-2014, 08:31 PM
So I thought this might be interesting. I went to ballpark tonight for a practice tour because my sister in law is I interning there and they gave away goodie bags for participating. In the bags where hates and low and behold they were 89er throw back hats. I think the red hawks are going to start capitalizing on is.

blangtang
04-10-2014, 11:34 AM
"Once again the Astros played a game this week and, according to the Nielsen Company, nobody in Houston was watching on Comcast SportsNet Houston."

Ultimate Astros » Astros match last year?s 0.0 TV rating (http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/04/09/astros-match-last-years-0-0-tv-rating/)

Anyone know the status on the old Coach's space?

Redhawks have their opening home game tomorrow, btw.

bradh
04-10-2014, 11:43 AM
the Astros TV deal is brutal. people will see the 0.0 rating and think "oh my God the Astros suck so bad no one watches," but the fact is no one can watch them unless you have Comcast cable in Houston. It's a freaking joke, same applies for the Rockets as well.

Zuplar
04-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Astro's kind of are a joke and no one really does watch them. I really hope the Redhawks end up back affiliated with the Rangers. My sister-in-law made sure to point out the Redhawks only have one year left and the organization is optimistic who they will be affiliated with next year.

bradh
04-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Astro's kind of are a joke and no one really does watch them. I really hope the Redhawks end up back affiliated with the Rangers. My sister-in-law made sure to point out the Redhawks only have one year left and the organization is optimistic who they will be affiliated with next year.

yes, currently their major league club is a joke after years of mismanagement. the current GM and staff has the club headed in the right place