View Full Version : Preparing for the Spring Storm Season

PennyQuilts
03-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Such a pretty day and since we had the state's first tornado watch, I was inspired to spend a little time readying the storm shelter. It's new so I didn't have to do any cleaning. Just putting in the basics - radio and extra batteries, lawn chairs, water, some basic tools, towels, led lanterns, dog dish. I'll put together a bug out bag, later, with money, prescriptions, toiletries, change of clothes, etc. If we were actually in a warning, I'd have all that already out there. There are a few other things I'll add but I don't want it too crowded.

One of my back east friends wanted to know if I was going to doll it up with quilts and pillows. I told her it will be pretty spartan because I don't like giving spiders a place to nest.

That put a damper on her decorating tips.

I also moved a few things out of the way between the house and the shelter (planters and bird feeders). We haven't run electricity to it, yet, and may just use an extension cord, this year. Need to get a 12 volt battery to fuel our charger.

trousers
03-27-2014, 03:52 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but how is the radio/phone reception inside what I am assuming is a metal shelter? Have you noticed any interference?

PennyQuilts
03-27-2014, 04:24 PM
It's an above ground mono-pour reinforced concrete and the reception on the cells and tablets aren't reliable with the door closed. If the door is open they do fine. We'd keep the door open as long as we could. We would lose internet if the power went out but the cell phones might hold. The radio doesn't seem to be adversely affected, which surprised me, and I may pick up a small battery operated television. We'd planned on running up a television antenna but a portable might work just as well with less hassle for what we want.

stick47
03-27-2014, 05:00 PM
We packed a plastic container I found at Walmart ( Shop for the Sterilite Footlocker, 92-Qt at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better. (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-92-Qt-Footlocker-Set-of-2/16415912) ) with clothes, packaged food, batteries and water. Instead of chairs I used cement blocks with boards to make benches. Last Fall I bought a handheld ham radio and got my license so I'm ready if the cell towers go out. I can use the vent on the inground cellar to get reception with both the radio and a portable TV.

PennyQuilts
03-27-2014, 06:18 PM
I've thought about getting a ham operator's license but haven't done anything about it. Nice idea on the benches. Since this is an above ground storm shed, we store the folding lawn chairs in there, anyway.

stick47
03-27-2014, 06:25 PM
I opted for the benches on account of the neighbor has an in garage shelter and during one storm they got flooded out of it last year. Our cellar is only 5 x 7 but we could seat 9 adults in it I think.

stick47
03-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Actually about the license,

The legal answer is as follows (quoted directly from the FCC regulations):

§ 97.401 Operation during a disaster.
(a) When normal communication systems are overloaded, damaged or disrupted because a disaster has occurred, or is likely to occur, in an area where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC, an amateur station may make transmissions necessary to meet essential communication needs and facilitate relief actions.

gjl
03-27-2014, 08:54 PM
I have lived in the Okla City metro area since 1960 and can't say that I have ever prepared for a spring storm season.

Celebrator
03-27-2014, 10:09 PM
We put a five gallon bucket, filled it about 1/3 of the way up with kitty litter and bought a toilet seat and lid that snaps right on top of the bucket. When you have two little ones, you never know when potty time comes calling. Here is a link to the seat, the Luggable Loo Amazon.com: Reliance Products Luggable Loo Portable 5 Gallon Toilet: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Luggable-Portable-Gallon/dp/B000FIAPXO)

Mel
03-27-2014, 10:13 PM
I got my sphincter tightened. That's about all I can do.

Stew
03-27-2014, 10:13 PM
It's not my destiny to get popped by a storm so I don't much worry about it.

mkjeeves
03-28-2014, 06:41 AM
We put a five gallon bucket, filled it about 1/3 of the way up with kitty litter and bought a toilet seat and lid that snaps right on top of the bucket. When you have two little ones, you never know when potty time comes calling. Here is a link to the seat, the Luggable Loo Amazon.com: Reliance Products Luggable Loo Portable 5 Gallon Toilet: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Luggable-Portable-Gallon/dp/B000FIAPXO)

5 gallon bucket with a lid, trash bags to use as a liner, kitty litter for both the bucket and the kitty litter pan, as needed. No seat, tough it out.

ylouder
03-28-2014, 09:03 AM
We have an above ground shelter and just few magnetic flashlights, battery operated radio, folding chairs, wallet and phone.

You guys are acting like your going to weather a hurricane cut off from all civilization for days at a time.

Don't get me wrong I went through a survivalist/prepper stage a few years ago but acting like. A tornado will wipe out okc and we will have to fend for ourselves and poop in buckets is a little much.

mkjeeves
03-28-2014, 09:24 AM
We have an above ground shelter and just few magnetic flashlights, battery operated radio, folding chairs, wallet and phone.

You guys are acting like your going to weather a hurricane cut off from all civilization for days at a time.

That's mostly what's in mine plus a few items.

You're welcome to be as prepared or unprepared as you want. If it's pouring down rain, dark and cool when/if your house and everything for a mile around you blows away you might want more than what you have, rain gear and extra clothes for a starter. Maybe some gloves to help dig your way out and do whatever property or people rescue you need to be involved in. With a car or other debris blown in front of and blocking your shelter door you are going to be there awhile too, in my case with my two old cats.

General preparedness for whatever kind of event doesn't take that much effort and is even promoted by those wacky Red Cross nuts. Survival Kits | Emergency Disaster Kit | Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit)

I have a TV in mine because I know from past experience we'll wait to the last possible minute to go to the shelter preferring to stay glued to the radar. Radio sucks compared to that.

ylouder
03-28-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm checking my MRE dates and making sure my magnesium fire starter still work. We can make SOS fires to signal the red cross and stay fed and hydrated in that 20 minutes it takes for them to get to us.

Come on. I've been around for 30 years and present for all the major tornados and physically there for may 3rd(eating at pickles restaurant). Weleft immediately after it passed over to go help and there were so many cops, firefighters, volunteers, national guard, and state officials within minutes of everything happening it isn't even funny.

mkjeeves
03-28-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm checking my MRE dates and making sure my magnesium fire starter still work. We can make SOS fires to signal the red cross and stay fed and hydrated in that 20 minutes it takes for them to get to us.

Come on. I've been around for 30 years and present for all the major tornados and physically there for may 3rd(eating at pickles restaurant). Weleft immediately after it passed over to go help and there were so many cops, firefighters, volunteers, national guard, and state officials within minutes of everything happening it isn't even funny.

Youngster, eh. Figures. I'm surprised you have a shelter. No need for minimal preparation when you can put yourself in a position to be part of the response problem.

Zuplar
03-28-2014, 06:14 PM
I need to clean mine out. I got some water down there and other things, but like you said it is a haven for spiders. I wish I had an above ground one like you Penny, but mine was here when we bought the house. Better than not having one.

zookeeper
03-28-2014, 07:27 PM
They have a lot of stuff that would come in handy for a storm shelter (or anyone) at the new "Homestand Preparation Station" (http://homestandready.com/) at NW 63rd and May.
Homestand Preparation Station offers disaster preparedness items | News OK (http://newsok.com/homestand-preparation-station-offers-disaster-preparedness-items/article/3944976)

PennyQuilts
03-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Good plan!

PennyQuilts
03-28-2014, 07:42 PM

Don't get me wrong I went through a survivalist/prepper stage a few years ago but acting like. A tornado will wipe out okc and we will have to fend for ourselves and poop in buckets is a little much.

The way I look at it, the shelter serves two purposes. Safety is the first one. The second is that if by chance you actually get hit (unlikely), you want your prescriptions and the like with you. We'd go stay with relatives but we'd want a bag and enough on us so that we can at least not need to go to Walmart the first night.
In our case, we want to be able to hang out in the shelter if things are looking hinky. We typically lose power when there is weather nearby and having battery operated television and radio makes for a less nervous wait.
To be honest, I don't think what people are describing suggests over reacting, at all.

ylouder
03-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Mkj - I'm confused. Im not a youngster and this is the second house I've owned that I've invested in installing an above ground shelter. All that I'm suggesting is to focus getting into a shelter than piling needless crap into it.

Quick response times are important long term supplies aren't.

PennyQuilts
03-28-2014, 07:45 PM

He said he had little ones. If that is how he wants to look out of his kids, more power to him. Do you have kids?

PennyQuilts
03-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Mkj - I'm confused. Im not a youngster and this is the second house I've owned that I've invested in installing an above ground shelter. All that I'm suggesting is to focus getting into a shelter than piling needless crap into it.

Quick response times are important long term supplies aren't.

Look, you've come on here and gotten snarky about your fellow posters for no good reason that I can tell. Not only that, but you've come back a couple of times to snark some more. Go away.

boscorama
03-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Penny, I guess if you don't have a shelter, getting ready wouldn't be much fun. What, reorganize the bathroom? National grid notwithstanding, I can't imagine being trapped inside for even 24 hours. This thread has some useful offerings such as the 5 gallon bucket and cat litter. All I have is a 2 lb coffee can, lol. That's about to change.

Oh, and doggie pee pads!

PennyQuilts
03-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Penny, I guess if you don't have a shelter, getting ready wouldn't be much fun. What, reorganize the bathroom? National grid notwithstanding, I can't imagine being trapped inside for even 24 hours. This thread has some useful offerings such as the 5 gallon bucket and cat litter. All I have is a 2 lb coffee can, lol. That's about to change.

Oh, and doggie pee pads!

Well, I always used to prepare for storm season by gathering most of this stuff and having it all in one place. I'll admit, I didn't think of getting a bucket when I was staying in the house. :) But I suppose I was thinking more in terms of storm shelters because that was what I was doing when I started the thread. Last year, before we had the shelter, I sure was glad I had my radio because we lost power. I just wished I'd had a little battery operated television.

ylouder
03-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Look, you've come on here and gotten snarky about your fellow posters for no good reason that I can tell. Not only that, but you've come back a couple of times to snark some more. Go away.

You seem like a very angry person.

Maybe you should pack some scentsy candles, relaxing body lotion, and self help books into your bug out bag.

PennyQuilts
03-30-2014, 11:31 AM
You seem like a very angry person.

Maybe you should pack some scentsy candles, relaxing body lotion, and self help books into your bug out bag.

Maybe you should get a better hobby than going out of your way to insult your fellow posters.

mkjeeves
03-30-2014, 12:47 PM
But...but...but...he's an expert in his own mind.

I've been around for 30 years and present for all the major tornados and physically there for may 3rd(eating at pickles restaurant).

That would be since about the mid 80's? My first tornado/shelter experience was in the early '60s. I've been in a building hit by a tornado, seen several, worked a Red Cross shelter for storm evacuees and done tornado clean-up at Moore.
The Red Cross, who I linked with their advice for general disaster preparedness, has been around since 1881. But please, give us your expert advice as sarcastically as you can. We're all standing by in great anticipation of hearing your wisdom.

bchris02
03-30-2014, 04:31 PM
I got renters insurance and changed my car insurance plan down to a lower deductible ($500) in preparation for hail damage. I got an online backup system to back up all my important data to the Internet, because as far as material possessions that's about the only thing I have that is irreplaceable. If I end up staying in OKC it will be a MUST that I live in a home with a storm shelter and a garage.

PennyQuilts
03-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Fortunately, technology has paved the way to more choices in storm shelters and the culture is certainly changing in that direction. We've got a heavy duty indoor safe to put most of the things I don't want to lose (doubt it would go far even with a direct hit). Our plan had been to wire the shelter but we'll probably just stick with our car battery deal, this season - and maybe always. Can't remember what it's called but you can use it to run small appliances/charge the phones, etc. We have a generator but for short term power outages the 12v car battery is an easy fix if we expect the power back on pretty quickly. We were also going to wire a regular television but we've decided to just get a portable. It would have been nice to have had that during the Moore tornado but we lost our cable (we usually do in bad weather).

Eta: we have a 12 volt deep cycle battery (marine battery) and a power inverter.

Prunepicker
03-30-2014, 10:16 PM
I don't prepare for the storm season. Maybe it's because I know what I'm
going to do.

I remember the tornado of April, 1960. It lifted our roof and put it back
down. We were all terrified. Yes we were in the bathroom. That tornado
wiped out a few blocks of the neighborhood.

Dad had a tornado shelter built. We'd spend most of the tornado season sitting
on top of the shelter, we called it the patio, watching the storms pass by.
Perhaps it was in defiance of the storms. For the most part it was a mold
collector and we rarely used it. Mom didn't like storms.

The dogs didn't care as long as they were with us. I like their concept.

kelroy55
03-31-2014, 07:21 AM
Looks like Spring storms may be starting...

Baseball size hail possible this week | News OK (http://newsok.com/baseball-size-hail-possible-this-week/article/3948783)

mkjeeves
04-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Fortunately, technology has paved the way to more choices in storm shelters and the culture is certainly changing in that direction. We've got a heavy duty indoor safe to put most of the things I don't want to lose (doubt it would go far even with a direct hit). Our plan had been to wire the shelter but we'll probably just stick with our car battery deal, this season - and maybe always. Can't remember what it's called but you can use it to run small appliances/charge the phones, etc. We have a generator but for short term power outages the 12v car battery is an easy fix if we expect the power back on pretty quickly. We were also going to wire a regular television but we've decided to just get a portable. It would have been nice to have had that during the Moore tornado but we lost our cable (we usually do in bad weather).

Eta: we have a 12 volt deep cycle battery (marine battery) and a power inverter.

I looked around for portables and ended up buying a 19" flat screen that will run on 120 or 12 volts. It has a 12 volt input jack in the back but doesn't come with an adapter to plug it into a car jack. Lucky enough, I had one in the big box of cables. However, with a temporary power outage I'll plug it into an inverter, plugged into the electric car parked in the garage. The shelter is in the garage too, so if the garage and car blow away, I probably won't be too concerned with looking at doppler radar any more.

I couldn't get much reception with rabbit ears. Think I would have the same issue with a portable so I installed an antenna in the attic of the garage. It works great now for local channels. I need to route the cable on into the house so I can use it during cable outages and other interruptions. (Should cancel my cable service while I'm at it and pick up Hulu.)

The TV is an Insignia NS-19E310A13. $99 at Best Buy. Small and light weight enough to drag it where ever.

PennyQuilts
04-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Great tip! Husband has been talking about installing an antenna in the attic so that might be just the thing.

ETA - spoke to husband and he sounded interested. He wanted to know about antenna suggestions.

mkjeeves
04-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Great tip! Husband has been talking about installing an antenna in the attic so that might be just the thing.

ETA - spoke to husband and he sounded interested. He wanted to know about antenna suggestions.

I ordered this one from Amazon mainly based on reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BRXW74/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and mounted it on a short piece of lightweight pipe and some sort of mounting I came up with.

The directions said don't put it in the attic. I put it in the eave just inside the attic, so there's only one outside wall between it and the outside, pointing to NE OKC. (Besides trees in my backyard.)

This site has an antenna selector that said I needed a medium to large rooftop directional type with their Red rating. It also tells what stations you should get and the angle to point it from your house.

AntennaWeb - Home (http://www.antennaweb.org/)

I didn't find a color rating on the one I bought but the site did convince me I wasn't going to get reception from any style of rabbit ear.

PennyQuilts
04-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Good stuff - thanks so much. I may run up and pick up a television, tomorrow. He is still thinking about the antenna. I was impressed with what stations were available.

mkjeeves
04-01-2014, 09:43 PM
I've been meaning to make a list of what is what. This is what I actually get with my set up. I'm east of Lake Overholser dam. I think you are down south a bit farther away from the 4, 5 and 9 antennas IIRC. The TV I have is a 720. Anything 720 or 1080 looks great. Anything standard 480 looks okay.

4.1 KFOR 1080
4.2 ANT TV 480
5.1 KOCO 1080
5.2 KOCO 480
9.1 NEWS9 1080
9.2 NEWS9 480
14.1 KTBO 480
14.2 CHURCH 480
14.3 JUCE 480
14.4 ENLACE 480
14.5 SOAC 480
25.1 KOKH 720
25.2 ZUUS 480
30.1 KTUZ 1080
34.1 KOCB 720
36.1 KUOK 1080
43.1 KAUT 1080
46.3 Not sure, it doesn't display the letters but I think its GETV. global evangelism TV 480
47.1 CATV 1080
52.1 KSBI 1080
52.2 KSBI 480
62.1 ION 720
62.2 QUBO 480
62.3 IONLIFE 480
62.4 SHOP 480
62.5 QVC 480
62.6 HSN 480

Dennis Heaton
04-01-2014, 09:48 PM
mkjeeves...do you not get 38 and 46.1?

Prunepicker
04-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Here's the best preparation I can provide.

1. Have a place to go if you're really scared.

3. See 2.

mkjeeves
04-02-2014, 08:43 AM
mkjeeves...do you not get 38 and 46.1?

Apparently not.

This is how I mounted my antenna. That's a four or five foot piece of 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch electrical conduit with a conduit connecter on the end. Connecter is screwed into an electrical hub.

Breakers, Distribution & Load Centers - Electrical - Hub*at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-Breakers-Distribution-Load-Centers/Hub/N-5yc1vZ1z117i4Zbm0k)

The hub is mounted to the joist and a piece of plywood with deck screws. The plywood was already up there. You could use a plumbing flange instead of a hub. It's kind of a whimpy attachment at the joist but should be good unless there's a tornado or major earthquake.

PennyQuilts
04-02-2014, 10:26 AM
I ran out and picked up that television, this morning - gorgeous picture! It didn't want to pick up any channels until I attached it to my old radio shack rabbit ears and then it got...drumroll... FORTY-EIGHT. I doubt it will get channels in the storm shelter but will check in a bit (we keep the inverter and battery in the garage). If it doesn't pick up any channels or it's iffy, we'll get a better antenna and attached it someplace so we can use it while in the shelter.

Thanks for the tip - I'm super impressed with the picture and had forgotten how nice free channels can be.

Dubya61
04-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Sorry to derail the thread, but ...
I'm such a cotton-headed ninny muggins sometimes. This got me to thinking about how to do free TV. I went back to post #35 (mkjeeves: I use this antenna) and scoured it for a price. I was just about to post a "how much does that cost?" reply when it occurred to me, "Yo, Imbecile! Click the link provided or google it yourself!" I get such a kick out of the "here, let me google that for you" effect -- I guess because I'm sometimes the butt of that joke.

Dennis Heaton
04-02-2014, 10:52 AM
I ran out and picked up that television, this morning - gorgeous picture! It didn't want to pick up any channels until I attached it to my old radio shack rabbit ears and then it got...drumroll... FORTY-EIGHT. I doubt it will get channels in the storm shelter but will check in a bit (we keep the inverter and battery in the garage). If it doesn't pick up any channels or it's iffy, we'll get a better antenna and attached it someplace so we can use it while in the shelter.

Thanks for the tip - I'm super impressed with the picture and had forgotten how nice free channels can be.

I have two older friends in my apartment complex that didn't know they could get "free channels." And it isn't any wonder because the Front Office "suggested" they sign-up for COX when they moved in. One of those same friends just purchased her very first Tablet yesterday. She is 69 years old and is just thrilled with her new toy.

mkjeeves
04-02-2014, 11:02 AM

Awesome. I bought some cheap rabbit ears and couldn't get the primary three OKC channels well. Channel 4 broke up to the point of not being watchable IIRC.

Until I did this, I hadn't tried using a TV receiving digital signals. I think that makes all the difference from analog problems of the past. Does make me think about getting rid of cable altogether.

ultimatesooner
04-02-2014, 11:08 AM
got a truck w/ more HP and 4x4 - I'm all set for this year

kelroy55
04-02-2014, 11:21 AM
I got the RCA ANT1650F/ANT1650R Flat Digital Amplified Indoor Antenna and it works pretty good.

PennyQuilts
04-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Will keep that in mind, Kelroy. Husband's buddy is all about antennas and the like and he wanted to consult with him prior to buying anything. That being said, we just checked the television in the shelter and it actually did great. Channel nine was perfect, channel five was good with just an occasional scwibble (when we were messing with it) and channel four was good but tended to go in and out (when messed with). I was really surprised. Wondering if this is a happy side effect of having an above ground shelter vs a below ground.

Dennis Heaton
04-02-2014, 11:29 AM
I got the RCA ANT1650F/ANT1650R Flat Digital Amplified Indoor Antenna and it works pretty good.

Did you have to place you set and/or antenna in front of or near an east or south facing window for optimum reception?

mkjeeves
04-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Mine is above ground and I tried it first with the ears and TV outside of the shelter. Maybe it was the cheapo ears. They were not an amplified set because I was wanting a setup that didn't add to offlgrid power requirements.

This one from Best Buy when I got the TV. Good reviews but it didn't work so well for me.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/indoor-off-air-hdtv-antenna/8280834.p;jsessionid=7E24F0DA2529D2EB6A6F6D5E7F1A3 B00.bbolsp-app01-124?id=1171058630499&skuId=8280834&st=categoryid$abcat0107004&cp=1&lp=4

mkjeeves
04-02-2014, 11:53 AM
got a truck w/ more HP and 4x4 - I'm all set for this year

We ran from a tornado last year. 4 by 4 might have been good when interstate was at a complete standstill. There were people freaking out, pulling off onto the grass and trying to keep moving.

That was an instrumental experience in us getting a shelter.

PennyQuilts
04-02-2014, 11:57 AM
We ran from a tornado last year. 4 by 4 might have been good when interstate was at a complete standstill. There were people freaking out, pulling off onto the grass and trying to keep moving.

Same with us although it was more of a creep. We honestly expected to be just out of harm's way and planned to see a friend when the May 31 psychotornado decided to lose its mind and head SE. Husband would rather do anything than that, again - thus the shelter. Some bozos were pulling into the oncoming traffic lane and frantically heading south, horn honking the whole way like their tail was on fire. Idiots.

Dennis Heaton
04-02-2014, 12:13 PM
PQ...We (The Square Mile) just knew we were gonna get hit when Mike Morgan said it was dead on to hit around Hefner and Council. Apartment living has it's advantages, but when you see those monsters coming your way, all you can do is...well, you know how that one goes. That really was the very first time in 15 years that I was more than a lil bit concerned if I would see the next day...and there wasn't a thing I could do.

mkjeeves
04-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Yep. It's pretty scary when they report a mile wide tornado on the ground headed directly your way and there's not much of a place to hide.

ultimatesooner
04-02-2014, 12:58 PM

I heard stories about crazy stuff like that and people crashing into each other, etc and hoped some of it would make it to youtube but have never saw anything - haven't looked since a week or two after that all happened

RadicalModerate
04-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Tornado Season Prep Kit:
1) Change of underwear.

Suggested Alternatives/Additions:
1) Air Freshener
2) Warm and Cuddly Quilt
3) No K-4 on The Panic Network

Next Chapter: How to get ready for earthquakes although they have nothing to do with weather . . . (or not)

Did I forget a Bible? (sorry)

Dennis Heaton
04-02-2014, 01:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVTs55W3Iag

This is one of the best videos I have seen of the El Reno tornado.

PennyQuilts
04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah, we didn't have a cloud in the sky but it was northwest of us. We figured it would keep going in that direction but to be on the safe side, we decided to take the dogs on a joy ride east, south to Tri city, stop at Braums and circle home via Hwy 4 through Mustang. Be back in 45 minutes. But no. The blasted thing headed our way so we kept driving east thinking we'd stop in to see our friend's new house in Norman. Before we got there, they shut down part of I35 and started talking about tornadoes in North Norman (where our friend was). Well dang. Headed south and it was like a mouse in a sticky trap. People were FREAKED out and my kids kept texting from NYC telling me to not go home (they watch Oklahoma weather online). Went clear to Purcell and then back. Got home at 11:30. Absurd.

Dennis Heaton
04-02-2014, 01:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJOjjzHUwsk

Sorry...I meant THIS one.

PennyQuilts
04-02-2014, 01:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVTs55W3Iag

This is one of the best videos I have seen of the El Reno tornado.

My, my. Someone else had sent me this and I'd planned to watch it but then forgot. Amazing. A friend of mine lost her uncle in that storm. He was claustrophobic in their shelter and left. Tragic.

RadicalModerate
04-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Yeah, we didn't have a cloud in the sky but it was northwest of us. We figured it would keep going in that direction but to be on the safe side, we decided to take the dogs on a joy ride east, south to Tri city, stop at Braums and circle home via Hwy 4 through Mustang. Be back in 45 minutes. But no. The blasted thing headed our way so we kept driving east thinking we'd stop in to see our friend's new house in Norman. Before we got there, they shut down part of I35 and started talking about tornadoes in North Norman (where our friend was). Well dang. Headed south and it was like a mouse in a sticky trap. People were FREAKED out and my kids kept texting from NYC telling me to not go home (they watch Oklahoma weather online). Went clear to Purcell and then back. Got home at 11:30. Absurd.

Perhaps why I suggested a change of underwear and no "weathernewz" coverage?
Maybe not..... =)
(if you had witnessed the wreck,
that happened right in front of us,
on the Hefner Parkway,
the day before yesterday,
it might help lend
a measure of understanding
to the random, projected,
events in question
and under consideration. =)

Auditory Aid to Those Old Enough to Remember,
Yet Not Too Old to Share: =)

ADPgTmca6Zs

This should be Federally Mandated Background Music
for all Mike Morgan Advisories in the Future.