View Full Version : OKC Public Schools

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

ou48A
06-04-2015, 11:27 AM
This problem is not unique to just this OKC school on the link, its virtually district wide.

Teachers, support staff and principles are not safe or effective at teaching because of new rules that don’t stop discipline issues with kids. The new OKC superintendent Nue will not remove nearly enough students with ongoing or serious discipline issues. His new policy’s makes it become a highly disruptive learning environment where the vast majority of kids are being punished for life, with lower learning opportunity’s, all for the sake of trying to save one or 2 messed up students in a class room that in some cases are well beyond the abilities of a normal school to save.

By many personal accounts the new OKC superintendent is considered a disaster. I’m told that he hasn’t moved his family to the OKC area (in a very tight money environment) the OKC district is paying for him to fly home to the Seattle area on Fridays and that he doesn’t return until Monday mornings… So it appears that he is a part time CEO. …

IMO Rob Neu should be fired ASAP. The school board members should be held fully accountable for what they let happen.

In Oklahoma City, Roosevelt Middle School teachers say lack of student discipline could mean departure | News OK (http://newsok.com/in-oklahoma-city-roosevelt-middle-school-teachers-say-lack-of-student-discipline-could-mean-departure/article/5423737)

ou48A
06-04-2015, 11:32 AM
As many as eight of 11 high schools in the Oklahoma City district could have new principals when school starts in August, in what some are calling an unprecedented shake-up.

Oklahoma City school district experiences high number of turnover among high school principals | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-school-district-experiences-high-number-of-turnover-among-high-school-principals/article/5424995?newsletter=daily-dynamic-email)

dankrutka
06-04-2015, 11:32 AM
I don't know enough to evaluate Neu (although I've liked what I've heard from him), but what is your suggestion for OKCPS' over-suspension problem? Something has to change if you're suspending black males at the highest rate in the nation (isn't that the stat?).

ou48A
06-04-2015, 11:56 AM
I don't know enough to evaluate Neu (although I've liked what I've heard from him), but what is your suggestion for OKCPS' over-suspension problem? Something has to change if you're suspending black males at the highest rate in the nation (isn't that the stat?).
What I can tell you that there are many older black teachers in the district who know the damage that making a race issue out of this does…and that’s what Nue has done…. Black teachers suspend black kids at very high rates for cause too. They hate what the culture has done to the youth....
Most older black teachers know that when people try making anything a race issue, they make the problem much worse and totally inflame the situation. They hate the people who race bate for statistics. They know students are being suspended for cause and not race. Most know that it’s their culture that is broken.

Virtually no one that I know of who has daily involvement in the OKC schools thinks Nue’s solutions will be anything but a complete disaster.

My solution would be to isolate the serious discipline issues in schools that are operated like Seaworth but the district must be willing to fund and greatly expand these types of schools!

dankrutka
06-04-2015, 03:57 PM
So... your way to address OKCPS' highest suspension of black students in the nation problem is to blame the kid's broken culture? Is youth black culture different in OKC than in other parts of the country? Addressing statistically proven racial problems in the district is not race-baiting. Yeah, not buying your explanation.

ou48A
06-04-2015, 05:47 PM
So... your way to address OKCPS' highest suspension of black students in the nation problem is to blame the kid's broken culture? Is youth black culture different in OKC than in other parts of the country? Addressing statistically proven racial problems in the district is not race-baiting. Yeah, not buying your explanation.

You’re twisting my words…. so this will be my last response to you!

Kids who break the rules and laws are and should be punished equally regardless of race…
You cannot stop punishing bad behavior regardless of who is doing it. Anything else only serves to enable the poor behavior that often grows worse with age when it goes unchecked.

Nobody deserves special privileges ….When the majority of students in the district are minority’s the majority of discipline problems will be with minorities.
Increasing anyone including the minorities who can are going to move out to the suburbs or send their kids to privet schools which will only hinder the redevelopment of the inter core of OKC.....

dankrutka
06-04-2015, 05:50 PM
You’re twisting my words…. so this will be my last response to you!

Kids who break the rules and laws are and should be punished equally regardless of race…
You cannot stop punishing bad behavior regardless of who is doing it. Anything else only serves to enable the poor behavior that often grows worse with age when it goes unchecked.

Nobody deserves special privileges ….When the majority of students in the district are minority’s the majority of discipline problems will be with minorities.
Increasing anyone including the minorities who can are going to move out to the suburbs or send their kids to privet schools which will only hinder the redevelopment of the inter core of OKC.....

Whenever your suspension rates are way out of wack then you have to reassess what you're doing. You can't just say breaking rules is bad. Is far more complex than that? Are the rules just or at least prudent? Is the learning environment supportive? Are the students' and their communities involved and respected in the school?

I did not try to twist your words. Sorry if it seemed that way.

ljbab728
08-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Teresa Rose with the OKC Chamber discussing the Oklahoma City Schools compact.

Teresa Rose of OKC Chamber talks partership with schools (http://m.newsok.com/video/4435326131001)

ljbab728
08-31-2015, 11:01 PM
Some positive news for a change.

OKC district's changes add up to big gains on math scores | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/okc-districts-changes-add-up-to-big-gains-on-math-scores/article/5443699)

Canoe
10-23-2015, 05:41 AM
The new school grades are up at the state website.

Plutonic Panda
11-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Oklahoma City public schools adopt new code of conduct | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2015/11/23/oklahoma-city-schools-adopt-new-code-of-conduct/)

Plutonic Panda
01-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Update for the OKC Public school regarding the recent budget cuts.

Budget cuts will cost Oklahoma City Public Schools about $1.5 million in state aid and that amount could grow to $4 million in the coming weeks, district officials warned Monday night.

Oklahoma's largest school district learned earlier in the day it will receive a mid-year payment of $105,490,673 instead of $107,059,553, a difference of $1,568,880, according to figures provided by the state Education Department.

The department has yet to determine the amount of cuts to mid-year funding for health benefits and school activities, but Chief Financial Officer Jean Bostwick told school board members she is projecting an additional loss of about $1.4 million.

"What's different and catastrophic about the situation this year is ... there are no federal funds to make up the difference in state funding here," Bostwick said.

Last week, the state Board of Education approved a $46.7 million funding cut for the fiscal year ending June 30, including a $25 million reduction in funding that goes to schools.

- Oklahoma City Public Schools hit hard by mid-year budget cuts | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-public-schools-hit-hard-by-mid-year-budget-cuts/article/5471985)

ou48A
01-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Oklahoma City public schools adopt new code of conduct | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2015/11/23/oklahoma-city-schools-adopt-new-code-of-conduct/)

Since this past fall crime is now rampant in virtually all Oklahoma City Public Schools…
If they don’t quickly get crime under control well before spring break in Oklahoma City Public Schools will lose vast numbers of their staff following this school year.

The new superintendent of OKCPS has very low discipline standards and as a result a crime wave is now well under way……

The local media is way under reporting on the crime story in OKCPS

Jersey Boss
01-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Just curious as to the basis of "crime is now rampant"? Have you seen police reports or some other documentation? Is it all crime, property crimes, violent crimes or what? Is it higher in all schools or only in certain wards? Thanks.

checkthat
01-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Since this past fall crime is now rampant in virtually all Oklahoma City Public Schools…
If they don’t quickly get crime under control well before spring break in Oklahoma City Public Schools will lose vast numbers of their staff following this school year.

The new superintendent of OKCPS has very low discipline standards and as a result a crime wave is now well under way……

The local media is way under reporting on the crime story in OKCPS

Good call:

Five arrested following OKC school fight that went viral on Facebook | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/oklahoma-city-school-officials-investigate-fight-that-went-viral-on-facebook/37412692?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=KOCO%205%20News&Content%20Type=Story)

ou48A
01-13-2016, 01:21 PM
Just curious as to the basis of "crime is now rampant"? Have you seen police reports or some other documentation? Is it all crime, property crimes, violent crimes or what? Is it higher in all schools or only in certain wards? Thanks.

It’s based on near real time word of mouth….. that statistics have not even started to catch up with…!!!!

I believe there is a great deal of lower end crime in OKCPS that doesn’t even get reported to the police out of fear of being retaliated against by administrators eager to show statistical improvements on a resume which appears to be the case many, many times.

It appears to be a district wide OKCPS problem that needs help from the city of OKC and from our state to gain control.

Filthy
01-13-2016, 01:39 PM
It’s based on near real time word of mouth….. that statistics have not even started to catch up with…!!!!

It appears to be a district wide OKCPS problem that needs help from the city of OKC and from our state to gain control.

This is a real, and EXTREMELY quickly growing problem. Interestingly enough, the teachers and administrators that have not yet left..and have been trying to combat the issues/gain control/change the atmosphere..........have in this very thread, been labeled "as a whole" racists. Its disgusting to see what is happening, yet in the PC world we live in, nothing will ever be able to be done about it. (Let alone, be able to honestly discuss the true issues at hand.)

Swake
01-13-2016, 01:54 PM
This is a real, and EXTREMELY quickly growing problem. Interestingly enough, the teachers and administrators that have not yet left..and have been trying to combat the issues/gain control/change the atmosphere..........have in this very thread, been labeled "as a whole" racists. Its disgusting to see what is happening, yet in the PC world we live in, nothing will ever be able to be done about it. (Let alone, be able to honestly discuss the true issues at hand.)

Man, kids getting in fist fights in high schools? Why I’ve never heard of such a thing. Except you know, since there’ve been hormones and high schools.

Stay Gold Pony Boy.

ou48A
01-13-2016, 02:08 PM

Yep
There are plenty of examples of good long time career OKCPS teachers being fed up enough to quit their jobs on the spot and or never coming back after being treated so poorly by these administrators over there horrible discipline decisions.

The problems may start at home with the kids.... but the OKC school board has members that don’t belong on the board. They are responsible for the mess that we now see and need to be replaced ASAP!

ou48A
01-13-2016, 02:16 PM
Man, kids getting in fist fights in high schools? Why I’ve never heard of such a thing. Except you know, since there’ve been hormones and high schools.

Stay Gold Pony Boy.

I’m guessing that you don’t know about the daily arrest that occurs at almost all OKCPS middle and high schools… Some are for serious offenses….that we rarely hear very much about in the news…. many of the repeat trouble makers are destined for very hard prison time.

Filthy
01-13-2016, 02:32 PM

Stay Gold Pony Boy.

Ha! I believe it has more to do with the alarming rate of teachers/administrators being assaulted by students, school property being stolen/vandalized, individual students being jumped by large numbers. Many of these assaults are going unreported, with no charges being brought up on the minor child, and not just because the admin wants them to go unnoticed...but because they are happening at such a high frequency..there just isn't enough time in the day, to handle discipline them all. And high school? We're not talking about pushing and shoving in the halls, over a disagreement over a girl. We're talking about issues that are now being seen even at the elementary school level, that have never been seen before. Maybe you enjoy seeing these things..or maybe you live in these areas, and have been desensitized by these "normal" occurrences. But if you were to spend two days and go for observation to see what I've seen, some of the schools in the OKC district are like a 3rd World Country/Battle Zone, compared to most of the Edmond/Deer Creek/suburb schools of similar size during class. There is ZERO learning...as the teachers spend 90% of their efforts trying to get 85% of kids to just sit down and shut up, so they can use the 10% of their time and energy to teach the 15% of the kids who actually give a damn, to try and learn. And of course, when you try to discipline the ones that need it..you're met with "F*ck you..you cant do sh*t to me," from the students. Its pathetic...but evidently, right in line with your standards.

FighttheGoodFight
01-13-2016, 02:34 PM
This discussion reminds me to watch the final season of The Wire.

shawnw
01-13-2016, 02:39 PM
My daughter is a senior at an OKCPS school and informed me upon returning from winter break that they hadn't been doing much at school because so many teachers quit and hadn't been replaced yet... no idea if that's related to anything, but it surprised me.

ou48A
01-13-2016, 02:55 PM
My daughter is a senior at an OKCPS school and informed me upon returning from winter break that they hadn't been doing much at school because so many teachers quit and hadn't been replaced yet... no idea if that's related to anything, but it surprised me.

Your daughter is the victim of the biggest crime of all........ and its being allowed by the corrupt system that is OKCPS….When good kids are not given an environment where they can learn and most do want to learn they pay for it sometimes for life…..

I would encourage you to talk to your daughter in great detail, become well informed and vocally involved and get your daughter out of the OKCPS if it’s at all possible for you.
At the end of the day we all lose though the lost potential of thousands and thousands of people

shawnw
01-13-2016, 03:54 PM
I've been reasonably involved. My oldest graduated from OKCPS in 2014 after 8 years in the system. Only college class she's really had trouble with is Accounting. So there's that. The youngest graduates in 4.5 months after 10 years in the system. I'm not sure she'll fare as well college wise, but we'll see. But not a ton I can do about anything in 4.5 months, certainly can't move her (not sure she'd let me at this point).

Swake
01-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Ha! I believe it has more to do with the alarming rate of teachers/administrators being assaulted by students, school property being stolen/vandalized, individual students being jumped by large numbers. Many of these assaults are going unreported, with no charges being brought up on the minor child, and not just because the admin wants them to go unnoticed...but because they are happening at such a high frequency..there just isn't enough time in the day, to handle discipline them all. And high school? We're not talking about pushing and shoving in the halls, over a disagreement over a girl. We're talking about issues that are now being seen even at the elementary school level, that have never been seen before. Maybe you enjoy seeing these things..or maybe you live in these areas, and have been desensitized by these "normal" occurrences. But if you were to spend two days and go for observation to see what I've seen, some of the schools in the OKC district are like a 3rd World Country/Battle Zone, compared to most of the Edmond/Deer Creek/suburb schools of similar size during class. There is ZERO learning...as the teachers spend 90% of their efforts trying to get 85% of kids to just sit down and shut up, so they can use the 10% of their time and energy to teach the 15% of the kids who actually give a damn, to try and learn. And of course, when you try to discipline the ones that need it..you're met with "F*ck you..you cant do sh*t to me," from the students. Its pathetic...but evidently, right in line with your standards.

My standards? My son's a freshman at Jenks. No issues at all. He's an honor roll student, plays football and lacrosse, is in debate and takes four pre-AP classes. He's never been in a fight to my knowledge and he rarely talks about seeing them.

My daughter is a Jenks grad (with honors) and is currently sophomore at Swarthmore College, a top 10 college for undergrad studies in the world. Also to my knowledge has never been in a fight in her life.

I have friends that teach in Tulsa Public Schools and I don't hear about anything like this. They complain about the lack of parental involvement and inappropriate behavior but nothing like teachers being attacked and a complete lack of learning. They attribute low scores at TPS mostly to nearly half the students at TPS now being hispanic and having so many ESL students.

ou48A
01-13-2016, 05:12 PM
My standards? My son's a freshman at Jenks. No issues at all. He's an honor roll student, plays football and lacrosse, is in debate and takes four pre-AP classes. He's never been in a fight to my knowledge and he rarely talks about seeing them.

My daughter is a Jenks grad (with honors) and is currently sophomore at Swarthmore College, a top 10 college for undergrad studies in the world. Also to my knowledge has never been in a fight in her life.

I have friends that teach in Tulsa Public Schools and I don't hear about anything like this. They complain about the lack of parental involvement and inappropriate behavior but nothing like teachers being attacked and a complete lack of learning. They attribute low scores at TPS mostly to nearly half the students at TPS now being hispanic and having so many ESL students.
Jenks is a first rate school district and does a great job with its students.

TPS has its problems but teachers who have worked in the Tulsa district and OKCPS say that TPS are in much better shape than OKCPS……where it really is much more like a third world community.

There are teachers in the OKCPS who have taught in other non-western nations and others in other major intercity situations and say OKCPS has the worst behaving discipline problems of any they have ever seen.

Some kids with learning disabilities who are allowed by the administration day after day to scream to other students and teachers that they want to rape them and cuss like a vulgar drunken sailor over and over again… and nothing happens to them.
I have been told that OKC police have been asked by administrators to not work at least some illegal activity.

Swake
01-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Jenks is a first rate school district and does a great job with its students.

TPS has its problems but teachers who have worked in the Tulsa district and OKCPS say that TPS are in much better shape than OKCPS……where it really is much more like a third world community.

There are teachers in the OKCPS who have taught in other non-western nations and others in other major intercity situations and say OKCPS has the worst behaving discipline problems of any they have ever seen.

Some kids with learning disabilities who are allowed by the administration day after day to scream to other students and teachers that they want to rape them and cuss like a vulgar drunken sailor over and over again… and nothing happens to them.
I have been told that OKC police have been asked by administrators to not work at least some illegal activity.

I think there are a few things going on here.

First there are many things today that will get a kid arrested that years ago would have been handled in school. With schools having their own police forces it’s almost forcing too many discipline issues into the legal system. All these “no tolerance” policies only make this problem worse. And once a kid is labeled a “bad” kid, they often live down to expectations.

Second, from what you are saying OKCPS isn’t handling kids with disabilities correctly. I’m not sure why that would be, but it it’s likely that lack of funding would have to be at least partly to blame. Teaching and then mainstreaming as many kids as possible with special needs is a big part of the increase in the cost of schools over the last couple of decades and mainstreaming these kids without proper support does sound like it could be a recipe for real problems. From what I know about how these kids should be handled is that if they are a disruption they would be housed in a very small class of special needs kids and not mainstreamed. A borderline case where a somewhat disruptive kid is mainstreamed they may have their own teachers assistant assigned to that child to monitor and help that child. That all takes money which as we all know, the schools have little of.

Lastly, and probably most importantly. Oklahoma has cut hundreds of millions in funding for what were already woefully underfunded schools since 2008 while we have added tens of thousands of new students. Class sizes are larger which make class management harder, it sounds like OKCPS also isn’t spending enough on support for special needs kids. Oklahoma also pays teachers really badly, we are losing qualified teachers to other states all the time while we are “emergency” certifying what are mostly non or under qualified people as teachers to fill the gap. Certainly some money could be saved by things like district consolidations but while that should be done, it’s just a drop in a pretty empty bucket. We are now paying for all those tax breaks that the state has given out. Be it removing property taxes from things like power plants, to our annual ¼ % income tax reduction on the TOP tax rate to making sure that energy production taxes are the lowest in the nation. We are getting what we haven’t paid for, or haven’t asked businesses to pay for.

Midtowner
01-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Being part of the music world, I know a lot of public school educators (my wife included). Things are getting rough. Especially in OKCPS. OKCPS' problems are exacerbated by incompetent administrators at the district level. There was a long standing policy of promoting administrators out of schools to middle management where they could do less damage. The result is that between schools, YMMV and the district being highly inconsistent in the way it treats schools due to basic incompetence. Throw in major funding cuts and things aren't going to go well.

ou48A
01-14-2016, 01:39 PM
I think there are a few things going on here.

First there are many things today that will get a kid arrested that years ago would have been handled in school. With schools having their own police forces it’s almost forcing too many discipline issues into the legal system. All these “no tolerance” policies only make this problem worse. And once a kid is labeled a “bad” kid, they often live down to expectations.

Second, from what you are saying OKCPS isn’t handling kids with disabilities correctly. I’m not sure why that would be, but it it’s likely that lack of funding would have to be at least partly to blame. Teaching and then mainstreaming as many kids as possible with special needs is a big part of the increase in the cost of schools over the last couple of decades and mainstreaming these kids without proper support does sound like it could be a recipe for real problems. From what I know about how these kids should be handled is that if they are a disruption they would be housed in a very small class of special needs kids and not mainstreamed. A borderline case where a somewhat disruptive kid is mainstreamed they may have their own teachers assistant assigned to that child to monitor and help that child. That all takes money which as we all know, the schools have little of.

Lastly, and probably most importantly. Oklahoma has cut hundreds of millions in funding for what were already woefully underfunded schools since 2008 while we have added tens of thousands of new students. Class sizes are larger which make class management harder, it sounds like OKCPS also isn’t spending enough on support for special needs kids. Oklahoma also pays teachers really badly, we are losing qualified teachers to other states all the time while we are “emergency” certifying what are mostly non or under qualified people as teachers to fill the gap. Certainly some money could be saved by things like district consolidations but while that should be done, it’s just a drop in a pretty empty bucket. We are now paying for all those tax breaks that the state has given out. Be it removing property taxes from things like power plants, to our annual ¼ % income tax reduction on the TOP tax rate to making sure that energy production taxes are the lowest in the nation. We are getting what we haven’t paid for, or haven’t asked businesses to pay for.

The funding issues are VERY bad......... but many if not most of the day to day issues of discipline are a simple choice and made much worse by VERY BAD leadership at virtually every level of administration…. The changes they made make it very difficult on well-meaning teachers and staff. The old way was better.

I can’t get into it on a message board but the OKCPS school board is where the problems start… There is cronyism with some having very serious character issues…. If the local media dug into this they could find these things out with a sustained journalistic investigation.

But if you hear anything good in the news about OKCPS and improvement in discipline don’t believe it.
They have their friends in the media who want to make certain people look good.
Several years ago while discussing the OKCPS with a former and very well-known long time local TV news anchor I was told that they are told not to report bad news about OKCPS.

Plutonic Panda
01-20-2016, 03:32 PM
This isn't public schools, but it is coming to OKC and I didn't know how big it is to start a thread for it or not.

Cristo Rey Work-Study School Coming To OKC - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/31014128/cristo-rey-work-study-school-coming-to-okc)

Plutonic Panda
03-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Oklahoma City Public Schools will eliminate 208 teaching positions | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-public-schools-will-eliminate-208-teaching-positions/article/5487039)

Pete
04-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Neu plans to resign as OKC district superintendent | News OK (http://newsok.com/article/5490949)

Neu to resign; no further info given.

He was the 9th OKC PS superintendent in the last 15 years.

Zuplar
04-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Neu plans to resign as OKC district superintendent | News OK (http://newsok.com/article/5490949)

Neu to resign; no further info given.

He was the 9th OKC PS superintendent in the last 15 years.

Wow. He didn't last long.

Pete
04-11-2016, 10:11 AM
^

None of them do.

corwin1968
04-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Nary a tear will be shed....

Zuplar
04-11-2016, 11:32 AM
^

None of them do.

That's an unfortunate trend.

corwin1968
04-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Source: Board meeting planned amid reports OKCPS superintendent will resign | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/source-board-meeting-planned-amid-reports-okcps-superintendent-will-resign/38967426)

Included in the article is a link to a letter the AFT sent to all OKC teachers.

ou48A
04-11-2016, 12:05 PM
This is very good news because of the past several Oklahoma City Public Schools Superintendents Rob Neu has been by far the worst for the class room…. This is the consensus opinion of several long time OKC teachers.

I hope the replacement is not someone from out of state who would only come with the goal of building up his resume and then leave. This has caused tough decision to continually be kicked down the road.

The replacement needs to have the clout to make tough decisions and not move away shrinking from a challenge.
But so bad is the OKC school board, Mayor Mick Cornett and the Governor need to have some type of involvement in the next hire.

Pete
04-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Have the teachers ever liked any superintendent?

OSUFan
04-11-2016, 12:35 PM
This is very good news because of the past several Oklahoma City Public Schools Superintendents Rob Neu has been by far the worst for the class room…. This is the consensus opinion of several long time OKC teachers.

He wasn't here long enough to even know really. I don't have a strong opinion on him either way but I don't think he is the worst of the recent ones and I don't think he was here long enough to make much of an impact in the classroom good or bad.

ou48A
04-11-2016, 01:00 PM
He wasn't here long enough to even know really. I don't have a strong opinion on him either way but I don't think he is the worst of the recent ones and I don't think he was here long enough to make much of an impact in the classroom good or bad.
Believe me, He was their plenty long enough to make a very bad impression on most from nearly the very start….
Besides what was reported in the local media there were lots of unreported things that most in the public don’t know about and probably never will.
Virtually the entire district besides the board will feel this is a very good day for the district. That should tell you a lot!

Pete
04-11-2016, 01:04 PM
^

They think that every time someone leaves, are all optimistic when they hire someone new, then end up chasing them off too. Repeat, ad nauseum.

ou48A
04-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Have the teachers ever liked any superintendent?

They may not have agreed with every decision but there have been many who have generally liked certain superintendents.
Nue without doubt was the most disliked and it’s probably fair to say the most hated, at least in memory.

It’s also fair to say that a small but very vocal segment of teachers will complain about anything and everything no matter who leads them.

OSUFan
04-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Believe me, He was their plenty long enough to make a very bad impression on most from nearly the very start….
Besides what was reported in the local media there were lots of unreported things that most in the public don’t know about and probably never will.
Virtually the entire district besides the board will feel this is a very good day for the district. That should tell you a lot!

I believe you. I'm just saying I'm not sure he changed much yet as far as the day-to-day classroom. I'm married to an OKC teacher and she didn't have a great opinion on the guy. However, I can't think of much he actually did that changed what she did in the classroom over the past year.

Again, not saying this is good or bad (although I do think the revolving door is awful). I'm just saying from what I could tell he hadn't changed much of what was actually happening in the classroom.

turnpup
04-11-2016, 01:17 PM
A colleague of mine and I were discussing this and he mentioned that the average tenure of school superintendents *nationwide* is only 18 months. So it's apparently not just an Oklahoma problem.

Pete
04-11-2016, 01:17 PM
They may not have agreed with every decision but there have been many who have generally liked certain superintendents.
Nue without doubt was the most disliked and it’s probably fair to say the most hated, at least in memory.

It’s also fair to say that a small but very vocal segment of teachers will complain about anything and everything no matter who leads them.

They always dislike the current person the most.

ou48A
04-11-2016, 01:18 PM
^

They think that every time someone leaves, are all optimistic when they hire someone new, then end up chasing them off too. Repeat, ad nauseum.
Your right and that’s why IMHO the mold needs to be broken and community / state involvement is needed to make sure they find a very tough person who has high integrity!

The person needs to come from our community/state and be someone who will not cut and run from a fight. They need to clean up the cronyism, corruption, waste and horrible discipline / criminal behavior in the class rooms. This alone would keep some good teachers from leaving the district for out of state locations.

ou48A
04-11-2016, 01:22 PM
They always dislike the current person the most.

I don’t think that's really fair to say about the older teachers who pretty well recognize the situation for what it really is. Most of the teachers I know are mid 50’s + and have husbands making 6 figures.....Or are otherwise pretty secure in life

Zuplar
04-11-2016, 01:52 PM
A colleague of mine and I were discussing this and he mentioned that the average tenure of school superintendents *nationwide* is only 18 months. So it's apparently not just an Oklahoma problem.

Very interesting, I did not know that. I know Moore's superintendent seems to be well liked by parents and teachers. My neighbor was a teacher and always had nice things to say about Dr. Romines. I've personally spoke with him too and found him to be very easy to talk, as well as found out he only lives about a mile down the road from me. I guess when you find a good one you need to work to keep them.

DoctorTaco
04-11-2016, 02:19 PM

The only issue I am aware of is his focus on changing the suspension-heavy culture of OKCPS. I know that a lot of teachers felt like they suddenly couldn't discipline anyone. But on this point Neu was completely on the right side of the issue. OKCPS so disproportionately suspended black students that it almost lead to Federal involvment as a civil rights issue. I know that the teacher's feel handcuffed, but maybe they should learn some alternate interventions?

Not an educator, I know. But if other urban districts can get away with a lower suspension rate, so can OKCPS, in spite of what the teachers say. Many of them (the teachers) have simply been doing it the suspension-heavy way for so long they can't imagine anything different. Kind of like a parent who refuses to believe there is any other way to instill discipline in a child without spanking (but I digress)

Pete
04-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Considering the poor state of our schools, I'm not so sure we should be relying on the opinion of people who have little outside perspective.

Then, when an outsider is brought in because big changes are needed, the troops rally against them and force them out.

School superintendents are like coaches: easy to blame and fire when things aren't going well instead of fixing underlying problems that no one really wants to take on, despite what they say in public.

ou48A
04-11-2016, 04:15 PM
The only issue I am aware of is his focus on changing the suspension-heavy culture of OKCPS. I know that a lot of teachers felt like they suddenly couldn't discipline anyone. But on this point Neu was completely on the right side of the issue. OKCPS so disproportionately suspended black students that it almost lead to Federal involvment as a civil rights issue. I know that the teacher's feel handcuffed, but maybe they should learn some alternate interventions?

Not an educator, I know. But if other urban districts can get away with a lower suspension rate, so can OKCPS, in spite of what the teachers say. Many of them (the teachers) have simply been doing it the suspension-heavy way for so long they can't imagine anything different. Kind of like a parent who refuses to believe there is any other way to instill discipline in a child without spanking (but I digress)
No.. Neu was completely on the wrong side of the discipline issue and there really isn’t any question about how bad it was.

From virtually all informed accounts from the class room on up though the different levels of administrators, how he handle the issue was an unmediated disaster!!!!!!

You can’t have criminals and others disrupting the classrooms going totally unpunished no matter what race they are or have race based quotas and expect even average results for the good kids who want to learn.

corwin1968
04-11-2016, 05:58 PM
No.. Neu was completely on the wrong side of the discipline issue and there really isn’t any question about how bad it was.

From virtually all informed accounts from the class room on up though the different levels of administrators, how he handle the issue was an unmediated disaster!!!!!!

You can’t have criminals and others disrupting the classrooms going totally unpunished no matter what race they are or have race based quotas and expect even average results for the good kids who want to learn.

True, that was the general opinion.

Celebrator
04-11-2016, 10:39 PM
^

And sadly for our country, this is quite the same in most large urban districts. I witnessed it in my teaching career out of state as well.

Eric
04-12-2016, 05:49 AM
There are those that buck the trend. Bartlesville's superintendent of 17+ years Gary Quinn just retired (health reasons shortened what may have been more years) and he was replaced (to everyone's delight apparently) by longtime administrator in the district Chuck McCauley. Quinn was considered to be one of the lowest paid superintendents in the state, yet remained at his post for quit some time, and to great success. There were things he did that people did not care for (as a leader always runs in to), but in general he was widely respected. After his retirement was announced there was great fear (considering what had been going on in other districts) that it would be a monumental task to replace him. McCauley did have the added benefit of serving as the interim while Quinn was on medical leave as well.

The distinguishing factor between this district and OKC has got to be the success of the district. For the same reason private schools can pay less, a job at a school that is performing well has got to lead to better tenure statistics across the board. Through three grades my daughter has only had the opportunity to be in a class of a new teacher one time (which she ended up in...unfortunately in my opinion but that's another story). So out of 9 potential teachers only 1 was new to the district the year my daughter was entering that grade. That seems pretty low to me. And we live in an extremely diverse elementary school district.

I know Bartlesville like other districts is fretting over the looming budget problems, but I think I understand that no teachers or admins will actually be let go in the current plan. No one will be replaced. It will hurt still.

OSUFan
04-12-2016, 08:00 AM
I'm not sure comparing Bartlesville to OKC is exactly fair.

Laramie
04-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Superintendents want their suspension numbers to be low; however, what are you willing to sacrifice to achieve that goal when most of the problems related to out-of-school suspensions are tied to the classroom. Big cities want their local school district(s) to be successful; because it's a feather in their cap for attracting new corporations, firms & businesses.

Principals & teachers can not run a school in which unruly children are allowed to disrupt the learning process within that building--all students suffer.

Oklahoma City Public Schools will have to make sacrifices. You have to get a handle on discipline through continuous training for teachers & support personnel on the process of how to handle these concerns. OKCPS have in-school suspension program; some schools have 'in-class' suspensions which is a holding place inside the in-school suspension center.

Now, does that mean 'long-term' suspension of students who are out-of-control (affects ADA) with the option of an alternative school setting until you can channel them back into the classroom or what. These are the questions we need to decide.

You can't save all children; discipline begins at home which is the sole responsibility of the parent(s). Good home discipline prepare students for school; it should filter over from home to school. The school should not be viewed by the community as a holding place for pupils while the parent(s) go to work (Teachers are not baby sitters for the parents or the community).

The biggest concern you hear from parents when children are suspended: "I have to work; we can't have him/her at home alone, what am I to do?" Again, preparation of the child begins at home.

TexanOkie
04-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Neu statement: 'I have not resigned' | News OK (http://newsok.com/neu-statement-i-have-not-resigned/article/5491185)

Swake
04-12-2016, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure comparing Bartlesville to OKC is exactly fair.

Bartlesville is not the same thing at all as the inner city districts. The only comparable districts to OKC are Tulsa and maybe Lawton or Putnam City. Tulsa has a new superintendent, Dr Deborah Gist, she's Tulsa's 3rd superintendent in the last 10 years. Overall, I actually think Tulsa's a pretty good district. Gist came from Rhode Island and seems impressive so far. Dr Keith Ballard before her was in the job for six years and retired to teach at OSU-Tulsa.

TPS' troubles with test scores are more related to the facts that 87% of students live in poverty and almost 20% are English Language Learning students than any real institutional failures. I would assume that OKC's numbers and challenges are very similar.

Bartlesville is going to be more like Jenks which has only the second superintendent in almost 30 years. The newish superintendent, Stacy Butterfield, has been superintendent only since 2013 but has been at Jenks since she started as a classroom teacher more than 25 years ago. She replaced Dr Kirby Lehman who was superintendent at Jenks for 23 years. I really thought Lehman was going to run for state superintendent, but I strongly suspect he was the force behind Joy Hofmeister taking down Barresi. Hofmeister is from Jenks and was the head of the Jenks Public Schools Foundation, her son graduated from Jenks the same year as my daughter.