View Full Version : Does Bricktown have a parking problem?

Patrick
08-09-2005, 11:35 AM
What do you think?

This is from Dan Lovejoy's and downtownguy's blog:

http://blogs.oc.edu/ee/index.php?/dlovejoy/park_walk/

www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

"I doubt that the Bricktown merchants really want Mr. Perkins’ business, given his admittedly meager budget. His comment though, is indicative of the “parking entitlement” most Oklahomans seem to think is enshrined in the Bill of Rights. Why should I be able to park on prime real estate without paying? Sorry - that’s a tangent. It’s a moot point because Harkins Theaters provides quite a lot of FREE parking.

Now, to walking. As Americans, walking is almost blasphemous, except in certain circumstances, when, I guess, we’re not supposed to notice. To illustrate how absurd the complaints are about Bricktown, I’ve taken some Google Satellite Maps shots all at the same zoom level to illustrate that these complaints don’t really measure up. But perception might as well be reality."

Dan proceeds to present some very compelling arguments against this perception, comparing park and walk distances at the city’s two most popular malls to parking at Bricktown. Quite honestly, I think he’s got a point. Read more at Dan's blog."

mranderson
08-09-2005, 11:41 AM
So far, the only problem I have had is on event nights. There is no parking, especially free which I am entitled to when I "go to a movie at Harkins." (wink-wink):irule:

Patrick
08-09-2005, 11:43 AM
So far Hogan hasn't put gates on the south parking lot near Harkins. I'm waiting for him to limit parking there so visitors to Lower Bricktown aren't left without parking.

terrared
08-09-2005, 12:04 PM
When we went down there we parked at Toby's place and then did what we wanted in Bricktown. We knew we were finishing out our night at Toby's and knew we were going to be dropping some big bucks in his place so we thought it was okay to take up a spot for most of the afternoon.

BDP
08-09-2005, 03:54 PM
There isn't a parking problem. There is a walking problem. People can't walk in OKC for some reason, even when it's in a nice and unique part of town.

And there is usually an inverse correlation between the distance you walk and the price of parking, especially when applied to the major events.

If you don't like to walk, then pay. If you don't like to pay, then walk. It's real easy.

Actually, if we put more parking in bricktown proper, all we would get is bigger traffic jams, and guess what, people would complain about that. The funny part about that would be that all the whiners would demanded this extra parking end up paying to sit in their steel bubbles for an extra 20-25 minutes just so they didn’t have to walk an extra 5-10 minutes.

mranderson
08-09-2005, 04:03 PM
There isn't a parking problem. There is a walking problem. People can't walk in OKC for some reason, even when it's in a nice and unique part of town.

And there is usually an inverse correlation between the distance you walk and the price of parking, especially when applied to the major events.

If you don't like to walk, then pay. If you don't like to pay, then walk. It's real easy.

Actually, if we put more parking in bricktown proper, all we would get is bigger traffic jams, and guess what, people would complain about that. The funny part about that would be that all the whiners would demanded this extra parking end up paying to sit in their steel bubbles for an extra 20-25 minutes just so they didn’t have to walk an extra 5-10 minutes.

...And just imagine. Oklahoma City was voted one of the fattest cities in the United States... Go figure. Walking... Lose weight... Get the drift?

pdjr
08-09-2005, 04:27 PM
I have a friend who lives in Manhattan who is amazed when visiting OKC that I actually drive to my corner store. I live in the Quail Creek area. Last visit, he bunked in a hotel on Memorial and walked to Barnes and Noble to get his morning NYTimes. He'd tell me some funny stories about people offering him a ride and them laughing at him when he declined their offer because "he only had 20 or so blocks to go." He's the same width as he was in college, and I am a couple of inches bigger under the belt. Go figure.

floater
08-09-2005, 04:32 PM

...And just imagine. Oklahoma City was voted one of the fattest cities in the United States... Go figure. Walking... Lose weight... Get the drift?

Lol. I would add that there's a perception problem. Most people don't keep up as much as we do. If it's true that most Oklahoma Citians visit downtown only once a month or less, they probably haven't a clue that you can get free parking. I'm sure some people think the only places you can park are in the Power Alley garage and the Chelinos lot, where they've had to pay some of the highest prices in the city.

fromdust
08-09-2005, 08:52 PM
theres no such thing as a parking problem in bricktown
this thread is a lot similar to the one about the parking garage; we talked about how lazy people are on that thread same as this one.... but its so true.

Keith
08-09-2005, 09:03 PM
theres no such thing as a parking problem in bricktown
this thread is a lot similar to the one about the parking garage; we talked about how lazy people are on that thread same as this one.... but its so true.
True. If people would walk around a little more in Bricktown, they would be amazed at how much there is to see, plus, it would be good exercise......or they can pay $5 to park across the street from their restaurant, and not see any of the other sites of Bricktown. No, Bricktown does not have a parking problem, people have a parking problem....called laziness.

Pete
08-10-2005, 09:00 AM
In OKC, people just aren't socialized to walk, as there is little opportuity (or good excuse) to do so.

It's what I hate most about the urban sprawl... The huge majority of the people couldn't walk anywhere worthwhile (grocery store, restaurant) if they wanted. Not many sidewalks, pedestrian crossings and things are just too bloody spread out.

Hopefully Bricktown and similar areas will help to change that but for a lot of people, any sort of walk at all is seen as an unnecessary inconvenience -- all the more reason to offer something unique that will make the short walks worth it.

mranderson
08-10-2005, 09:12 AM
In OKC, people just aren't socialized to walk, as there is little opportuity (or good excuse) to do so.

It's what I hate most about the urban sprawl... The huge majority of the people couldn't walk anywhere worthwhile (grocery store, restaurant) if they wanted. Not many sidewalks, pedestrian crossings and things are just too bloody spread out.

Hopefully Bricktown and similar areas will help to change that but for a lot of people, any sort of walk at all is seen as an unnecessary inconvenience -- all the more reason to offer something unique that will make the short walks worth it.

There are all kinds of excuses not to walk. "it's too hot," "it's to far," etc. There are no reasons. It amounts to laziness and the brainwashing that walking and mass transit are for poor people. Just part of the negativity.

We need to change that.

Uptowner
08-10-2005, 09:41 AM
and the brainwashing that walking and mass transit are for poor people.

It's the image the hurts mass transit in our city.

mranderson
08-10-2005, 09:44 AM
It's the image the hurts mass transit in our city.

That is my point.

Uptowner
08-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately, it's hard to change a reputation like that.

sweetdaisy
08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
I was in Bricktown last Friday night for the first time in a month or so. I think there is plenty of parking available and I have absolutely no problem with walking a distance to my destination (even though being a single female, it can be a little unsafe late in the evening). However, I was shocked to see that parking in most areas was $10! I'm not sure if that's the new "going" rate down there, or if there was a special event, but I think $10 is a little outrageous.

Fortunately, I was able to find a FIELD to park in for $5, where my little car promptly got stuck in some muddy wheel ruts. :( Guess I'll have to pay $10 next time?

BDP
08-10-2005, 02:35 PM
However, I was shocked to see that parking in most areas was $10!

Maybe, but what's funny is that is simply the price of laziness. They would never charge $10 if it kept them from filling the lot. But as long as people think the Galleria or even Santa Fe is too far to walk, those prices will keep going up.

The bad thing to do would be to build a bunch of parking in bricktown and turn it into something that isn't worth going to at all, let alone pay $5 just to look at a bunch of parking. As you get more people walking, too, more businesses will do better because their exposure will go up.

And as mranderson pointed out, it wouldn't kill us to walk a little bit more. I'm sometimes disgusted with myself when I look back at my day and think about how far I probably walked that day total, and that's even when I go for a walk.

okieopus
08-10-2005, 03:01 PM
I actually agree with Mr. Anderson on this.

Bricktown has parking, you can also park at just about every downtown meter after 5 for free. I work at a college and we get the there isn't any parking comment a lot. Truth is there is plenty of parking...the spots are not right next to the building.

This is just like people who shark (stalk people for parking) at the mall. In the time it takes to follow someone around you could have parked and walked into the building.

People have got to get off the automobile teet...why do you think we have had so many ozone alert days...some people are just lazy.

MadMonk
08-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Yeah, most of those that I've seen spending lots of time finding a close parking spot are exactly the ones who could use a little more walking. :LolLolLol

Keith
08-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Yeah, most of those that I've seen spending lots of time finding a close parking spot are exactly the ones who could use a little more walking. :LolLolLol
Have you been watching me again??:LolLolLol . Actually, when I go to any large parking lot, I usually park way out in the lot, and thank God that he has given me two good, healthy, legs. I don't even get involved in the parking lot traffic jams because I automatically park way out in the parking lot. It's a matter of exercise and a matter of reducing the parking lot stress. BTW, I think I am about to start seeing my belt buckle again:irule: .

karlanee
08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
I haven't had problems parking in Bricktown. I just usually know I'll pay around $5 for parking and add it to my budget for the night. It's just one of those things you expect. We have been down in Bricktown during several events - usually just by coincidence, unless it was a Hockey Game or something like that at the Ford Center. I don't mind walking a few blocks - gives me more time to enjoy the ambiance.

I have really come to enjoy Bricktown. It's a great place to go stroll around on a weekend night - even just to people watch. It's fun to see how it's grown.

ptwobjb
08-11-2005, 05:37 AM
Santa Fe parking garage is only a few blocks away and there is almost never any one manning the toll booth.

Take that for what it's worth.

RichardR369
08-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Oklahoma City officials use that 'image' to their advantage and get rich off of that. I'd visit Bricktown in a heartbeat if they had light rail going down there. Tracks are there until some deadbeat gets them destroyed.

russellc
08-12-2005, 06:52 PM
As to the safety issues at Bricktown parking lots, I was in the Chelino's parking lot Wednesday when a bum came up to me, trying to get money, and then went to a car full of teenage girls trying to get money. The parking lot attendant had security there in about 30 seconds. I was very impressed.

Karried
08-12-2005, 07:40 PM
We have never, ever had a problem in Bricktown. Not in any parking area, street, concert or restaurant. I never really thought of it before, but now that I've realized it, it's a great feeling to know we can walk downtown day or night and feel very safe. You really can't say that about a lot of downtown areas. I don't know why that is... there isn't a lot of police presence but the people just feel friendlier and safer to me....I've never thought of it before, but I like it!