View Full Version : OKC hail storms: how bad are they in a typical year?

bchris02
03-17-2014, 07:48 AM
A friend of mine told me that in any given year, if my car isn't in a garage there is around a 70-90% chance of it being severely damaged or totaled by hail. For those who have lived here a while, would you say that is true? If it's really that bad, why do more apartment complexes and workplaces not have covered parking?

Jim Kyle
03-17-2014, 08:18 AM
A friend of mine told me that in any given year, if my car isn't in a garage there is around a 70-90% chance of it being severely damaged or totaled by hail. For those who have lived here a while, would you say that is true? If it's really that bad, why do more apartment complexes and workplaces not have covered parking?The real question is "What do you consider to be severe?" It's not very often that a vehicle suffers so much damage as to be undriveable; it's more frequent to see cars that appear to have been beaten with a baseball bat, with lots of deep dents on all horizontal surfaces. And windshields and rear windows always seem to get the worst of it.

However 70 to 90 percent seems like a huge overstatement; I doubt that the number of vehicles actually on the road (that is, excluding those on dealer lots) that suffer any significant damage is less than 50%, and of those, less than a third cost more than $250-$500 to repair.

My insurance company has replaced three roofs for me in the 30-plus years I've owned this house, all due to hail and the most recent just a couple of years ago. In that storm, my next-door neighbor's company van, parked in his driveway, was "totalled" but was still quite driveable. However it was so badly dinged that the company did not want him using it -- I'm confident that after being written off, it was sold to "the Mexican market" (reference to a used-car commercial popular here 25 years ago) and is still in service somewhere!

SoonerDave
03-17-2014, 08:36 AM
I'm sure the primary reason most apartment complexes don't provide more covered parking is cost - much rather develop that available space into rentable units that bring in more money. Apartment owners can and probably do charge a small premium for covered parking, but that's small potatoes compared to building, say, a three-story complex with (random number?) 5-8 units per floor that rent out for $700-$1000/month.

If I had a moderately newer car, or, heck, one of any age that I felt was worth protecting, but didn't have a garage or covered parking option, I'd probably at least invest in a good, cushioned vehicle cover. It obviously won't protect from the grapefruit sized beasts that fall once in a while, but it will at least give you a fighting chance to ward off some of the worse damage when hail season comes along.

bchris02
03-17-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm sure the primary reason most apartment complexes don't provide more covered parking is cost - much rather develop that available space into rentable units that bring in more money. Apartment owners can and probably do charge a small premium for covered parking, but that's small potatoes compared to building, say, a three-story complex with (random number?) 5-8 units per floor that rent out for $700-$1000/month.

If I had a moderately newer car, or, heck, one of any age that I felt was worth protecting, but didn't have a garage or covered parking option, I'd probably at least invest in a good, cushioned vehicle cover. It obviously won't protect from the grapefruit sized beasts that fall once in a while, but it will at least give you a fighting chance to ward off some of the worse damage when hail season comes along.

So if I just took my chances, would there be probably a 50% chance or so I would end up with severe damage between now and June?

SoonerDave
03-17-2014, 09:48 AM
So if I just took my chances, would there be probably a 50% chance or so I would end up with severe damage between now and June?

Given the historic volatility of Oklahoma's spring weather, bchris02, I just don't know that there's a good answer for you. And when you get right down to it - a 50% probability - you're talking a coin flip.

I mean, what are the chances we'll have hailstorms in Oklahoma? Lead-pipe certainty.

What are the chances one of those hailstorms will hit *your* driveway? I think that heads into "How much snow and ice will SW 89th and Penn get after 4pm tomorrow" territory. Just no realistic way of being that precise.

Best thing you can do is mitigate the risk as best you can - there just aren't any sure answers. If you're in a situation and you can't garage the vehicle, I'd look at a cover. If you don't want that kind of risk, then finding those less-prevalent apartments with covered parking (or even actual garages) is the next option, then regular residential houses.

If you forced me to put a number on it, yeah, I'd say if a car is left outside 100% of the time in Oklahoma, you're probably better than a coin flip's chance of sustaining appreciable hail damage. How much better is hard if not impossible to say - I don't think I'd go all the way to 90%, though. Heck, think about it - if outdoor-stored cars were getting totalled 90% of the time, there's no way anyone in their right mind would insure them unless there was proof it was garaged most of the time...for that matter, now that I think of it, if they were getting totalled even more like 50% of the time, they wouldn't be writing policies on them.....so I'm about to talk myself OUT of that coin-flip figure :)

Buffalo Bill
03-17-2014, 09:50 AM

I've lived here 28 years. Never garaged my car. I've never had any hail damage. I've moved it twice to covered areas to avoid hail which never came. I imagine your chances of severe hail damage are relatively small, probably in the single digits, percentage-wise.

ctchandler
03-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Bchris02,
Like Jim, I have had three roofs replaced due to hail damage in the last 30 plus years (actually, 40 plus for me), so my comment might seem conflicting but I have only had damage to a vehicle once. I have had one car in the garage for close to twenty of those years but also one outside almost all the time. last spring State Farm paid over $20,000 for my home and car. The car was $6,250 after my $1,000 deductible. I don't know the odds, but 50% is way too high for me.
C. T.

adaniel
03-17-2014, 10:17 AM
There are plenty of apartments in OKC that have carports or garages....IF you are willing to pay for it. I've always had at a minimum a carport. But you will not get that in some hole paying 5-700/month. When I lived on the NW side a 1BR with a detached garage ran me $800/month. That is about as low as you're going to get, and the price was in 2010, so I'm sure its gone up.

With that in mind, I've been in this area for nearly a decade now and the only time I've had significant hail damage I was eating at Buffalo Wild Wings back in 2011, so a garage did me no good.

So the moral of the story is, you live in OK. Yes hail is a possibility. If you have a nice ride, they key is don't be CHEAP and protect yourself, by either ponying up for a garage or carport, and at a minimum have proper insurance. And some personal advice...don't worry so much about these things. Mother nature is going to do what she wants to do, ya know.

tomokc
03-17-2014, 10:28 AM
You can't play the odds on the intensity of hail. If you don't have covered parking, locate public covered parking nearby and get there when its apparent that you'll need it.

Like adaniel said there are plenty of multi-family garage & carport spaces, but if you're not in your parking space when the hail starts coming down, someone else will take it. You will win the "That's my space" argument afterwards, but your car will still be damaged.

BTW, I heard that Penn Square Mall won't make their garage available to non-shoppers when severe weather threatens (although I don't know how they'll do that). Has anybody else heard that?

Dennis Heaton
03-17-2014, 10:36 AM
After last years big hail storm in NW OKC, I noticed that 99.99% of the damages were on the west side of each apt building. Head for the nearest Self Service Car Wash and Gas Stations when large hail storm is on the way!

PennyQuilts
03-17-2014, 10:44 AM
I've lived here 28 years. Never garaged my car. I've never had any hail damage. I've moved it twice to covered areas to avoid hail which never came. I imagine your chances of severe hail damage are relatively small, probably in the single digits, percentage-wise.

I have pretty much the same experience.

BChris, I didn't realize you weren't a longtime local. That explains why the weather is probably freaking you out a bit. When I lived back east, people were amazed at how horrible our weather allegedly was and couldn't believe people didn't all live underground or that anyone wouldn't be terrified all the time. If you've been here awhile, you'll realize that notwithstanding the hysteria put out by some, the weather is more exciting than dangerous nearly all the time. Been here most of my life and never saw a twister on the ground, never had hail damage. I respect both possibilities but don't believe someone who tells you that you are going to get your car damaged at such a high percentage. It could happen but the odds provided were a head shaker.

OKCisOK4me
03-17-2014, 10:59 AM
All of my adult life I've dodged two hail storms with my car and have made it out fine. Know your surroundings...like if there's a free garage you can park in or some healthy trees (if it's not a windstorm) you can park under.

bchris02
03-17-2014, 11:02 AM
I have pretty much the same experience.

BChris, I didn't realize you weren't a longtime local. That explains why the weather is probably freaking you out a bit. When I lived back east, people were amazed at how horrible our weather allegedly was and couldn't believe people didn't all live underground or that anyone wouldn't be terrified all the time. If you've been here awhile, you'll realize that notwithstanding the hysteria put out by some, the weather is more exciting than dangerous nearly all the time. Been here most of my life and never saw a twister on the ground, never had hail damage. I respect both possibilities but don't believe someone who tells you that you are going to get your car damaged at such a high percentage. It could happen but the odds provided were a head shaker.

I lived here years ago as a child, but moved away in 2002. I was quite spoiled by living on the east coast and there is quite a bit about Oklahoma that has been difficult to adjust to, the weather being near the top of the list. Being that the 2013 storm season was my first living back here, and the fact last year brought storms of apocalyptic proportions, the fact we are approaching storm season has me quite a bit on edge. Last year I would have lost my car in the hailstorm that hit NW OKC and Edmond but luckily was out of town that weekend.

Do insurance companies raise your premium due to a hail claim like they do accidents? Due to the fact it will generally cost you a few hundred extra for an apartment with covered parking, it may be a better deal to just take my chances as long as I am not going to see a huge spike in my premium.

Bunty
03-17-2014, 11:21 AM

I didn't have a garage for my car for 30 years. In only two instances did hail cause a small dent or two. Fortunately, they weren't noticeable unless looked at in just the right angle to the sun, do didn't see fit to get them fixed. Both instances were associated with tornadoes passing fairly nearby.

In 2009, barely got my car home from work in time to the garage before a big hail storm hit. Examples of the hail that fell pictured below:

http://stillwaterweather.com/photos/hailstones.jpg

ctchandler
03-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Bchris02,
State Farm didn't and I don't think any of them do. It's an act of nature. Now, I do believe home owner's rates have been raised due to the tornados last year, but that's one of those things you can't dodge, similar to rate increases in the hurricane zones after Katrina and the other big ones occur. My car insurance is actually a little less this year.
C. T.
Do insurance companies raise your premium due to a hail claim like they do accidents? Due to the fact it will generally cost you a few hundred extra for an apartment with covered parking, it may be a better deal to just take my chances as long as I am not going to see a huge spike in my premium.

venture
03-17-2014, 11:42 AM

I look at it as you'll either pay for it now in smaller chunks or pay for all of it at once later. Insurance is the one thing I don't skimp on at all. As far as spike in premiums, it'll all depends. CT nailed it pretty much. I think a lot of people saw their home insurance spike since last year due to some companies raising rates as much as 35% to compensate for the storm damage payments. My premium didn't go up any on the house after they replaced the roof after the big hail storm in Norman a few years back. Granted it did climb after last year.

As others have said, you need to relax a bit when it comes to the weather here. You seem to get paranoid very fast and often on these forums about it. It is understandable if you aren't exposed to it much, but the Carolinas see their fair share of severe weather and tornadoes. The best thing to do is just be prepared. I have insurance coverage set to where if a tornado takes everything, I'll be able to pick up and be comfortable and get my life put back together. The only thing I have concern for is to make sure the family is safe and sound - even the annoying cat. :) What happens...happens. We can't stop it, but we can prepare and get out of the way if need be.

Jim Kyle
03-17-2014, 12:04 PM
I do believe home owner's rates have been raised due to the tornados last year, but that's one of those things you can't dodge, similar to rate increases in the hurricane zones after Katrina and the other big ones occur.My homeowners went up this year but the auto insurance stayed about the same. The raise in homeowners had nothing to do with my claim; it was because they had so many losses in the state and would have happened even had I not had the roof replaced.

My auto insurance does rise a bit every few years, but that's because I'm getting older and the older one gets, the more one must pay (after a certain age) because of increased accident rates for older drivers and their longer reaction times plus deteriorating eyesight...

tomokc
03-17-2014, 12:36 PM
After last years big hail storm in NW OKC, I noticed that 99.99% of the damages were on the west side of each apt building. Head for the nearest Self Service Car Wash and Gas Stations when large hail storm is on the way!

The 2012 storm broke windows on the north side of the house. In 2013 it was the south side.

Garin
03-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Hail storms are great for the glass business and PDR. If you live in the metro you have pretty good odds each year to get some hail damage , since 09 we have had some gnarly hail storms of biblical proportion. The farmers almanac predicts bad hail for this spring btw.

PennyQuilts
03-17-2014, 08:50 PM
I lived here years ago as a child, but moved away in 2002. I was quite spoiled by living on the east coast and there is quite a bit about Oklahoma that has been difficult to adjust to, the weather being near the top of the list. Being that the 2013 storm season was my first living back here, and the fact last year brought storms of apocalyptic proportions, the fact we are approaching storm season has me quite a bit on edge. Last year I would have lost my car in the hailstorm that hit NW OKC and Edmond but luckily was out of town that weekend.

Last year was a tough year, for sure. Not the most calm welcome back home.

Be sure you keep up with the weather (Venture has a very nice site). That goes a long way to letting you know when you are in a bad place. For a lot of us, storm season is practically reality TV and we're playing. I'm not talking about storm chasers - I mean as a spectator.

When I lived on the east coast (after living here for thirty years) I was bored silly with the weather and couldn't wait to get back home. People to whom weather is just, well, weather, don't "get" how it can be entertainment/exciting (in a good way). My daughter in law from Boston is genuinely puzzled when my Oklahoma raised son gets excited about fronts coming through NYC. It gets in your blood.

bluedogok
03-17-2014, 09:11 PM
I have had some mild hail damage twice, once in Dallas (1992) and once in OKC (1990). The day I bought my Z4 in Austin (2009) I headed home just ahead of one of the largest hail storms to hit Austin. It hit the Audi and BMW dealerships very hard. I have only parked in a garage a few times in rentals (1994 and 1998). I do know where many canopies are, when I was working nights at Benham in the late 80's we did have to run to a canopy every once in awhile.

ljbab728
03-17-2014, 09:12 PM
There are plenty of apartments in OKC that have carports or garages....IF you are willing to pay for it. I've always had at a minimum a carport. But you will not get that in some hole paying 5-700/month. When I lived on the NW side a 1BR with a detached garage ran me $800/month. That is about as low as you're going to get, and the price was in 2010, so I'm sure its gone up.
At the Pheasant Run Apartments on N. Meridian every apartment has one covered carport. Rates range from around $500 up to $700.

PennyQuilts
03-17-2014, 09:18 PM
The big thing is just being cognizant of weather if you are going to live here. Stay tuned into weather stations, learn to recognize how the air "feels." Have a plan for when there is hail or a tornado on the way. When there are bad storms on the way (or likely), that is not the time to go to a movie, for example. You need to keep tuned into the weather and have a plan.

If you don't have a storm shelter (or even if you do), it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a good helmet, just in case. And be sure to have a bug out bag or bad weather bag. Have a few places scoped out ahead of time to park your car. I've been known to put cardboard on the windshield when I've gotten paranoid that hail might bust the glass (it never has). If you are really worried about it, get a car drape and cover the car with some foam or even just a comforter, then put the cover on. Cheaper than a garage and I imagine it would do the trick.

zookeeper
03-17-2014, 10:20 PM
At the Pheasant Run Apartments on N. Meridian every apartment has one covered carport. Rates range from around $500 up to $700.

I've heard those are pretty nice and well-managed. Is it a locally owned complex?

Celebrator
03-17-2014, 10:23 PM
bchris02--you worry too much about too much and tell us about it too much. Just embrace living here and you won't be so miserable. You should live by these words of Hamlet: "...there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so...." And I'm done.

ljbab728
03-17-2014, 10:24 PM
I've heard those are pretty nice and well-managed. Is it a locally owned complex?

I don't think so. It sold within the last year. Management is through this company.

http://www.cbre.us/o/oklahomamarket/Pages/home.aspx

RadicalModerate
03-17-2014, 10:45 PM

Easy answer a: Don't own a car and your concerns about hail would be reduced by about 70% to 99%.
Easy answer b: Own a car that is already hail damaged and has been paid off by insurance.
Easy answer c: Give someone in the Current Administration a call and make a Federal Case out of it.

PennyQuilts
03-21-2014, 07:07 AM
I think bchris has the makings of being an excellent weather geek, personally. Just give him some time to scope it out and get the lay of the land. He's obviously a thinking man and I'm betting he'll eventually get bit by the bug. Then we'll all benefit.

Wishbone
03-22-2014, 06:01 AM
My wifes car is a 2009 and it's been hit with hail 3 different times. And it's garaged every night. She doesn't get off work until 6 and 2 hail strorms caught her at work right before she left. The last one was later at night when we where at a restaruant.

The first did $13,000 worth of hail damage. The hood, roof, and trunk all had to be replaced. It was in the shop for a month. Weather in this State is brutal!

pw405
03-22-2014, 05:05 PM
My neighbors probably think I am crazy due to my pre-hail-car-protecting-rituals. This might sound stupid, but it is CHEAP and it works. Get some big bags of mulch to keep in/near your car (about $5). If the weather says its going to hail, place bags of mulch on hood, windshield and roof. The rain will make the mulch heavy, and you could shoot hail out of a cannon it wouldn't dent you car through a bag of mulch.

Now, if you are concerned about scratches, get some of those big padded blankets that moving companies give you to protect your stuff while you are loading/unloading it. Throw the blankets on the car, put mulch on top.

Like I said, sounds stupid but if you are concerned about property damage, this is an easy and cheap way to protect your property.

Additionally, learn to recognize a hail-core in the radar images of the thunderstorm. Just view the radar loops on TV or on your smartphone and you can very easily rule out storms that won't directly affect the location of your car.

I'm sure Venture has an example picture of a radar that has a hail core. It will be the most "severe" color of the radar - typically dark red, purple, black or even white (depending on what TV station or App you are using). If you are watching local TV stations, use them only to help locate the storm. They hype everything up to scare the crap out of viewers to get ratings. Don't fall victim to their hype machine.

Finally - plan for your personal safety first and foremost. Property can be replaced, and there are even some instances where claims from storm damage work to your advantage. For example, my brother's car was "totaled" by a hail storm about 5 years ago, insurance wrote him a check for the car value, he replaced the windshield and put another 40,000ish miles on it, had no car payment, and had a mechanically sound, quality ride (with dents).

PennyQuilts
03-22-2014, 09:05 PM
That isn't stupid - it is brilliant.