View Full Version : Old Restaurants

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Prunepicker
03-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Does anyone remember Hoe Sai Gai (http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/1969-ads/2253d1345673547-1969-ads-grant-sq-bank-hunzicker-brothers-hoe-sai-tai-restaurant-3900-nw-63.jpg) on 3900 NW 39th? I know about the
restaurant on NW 50th and N Shields.

I just don't remember the place on NW 39th, and I'm assuming on the
Expressway. I definitely remember the place on NW 50th and N Shields.
Who doesn't, unless they were born after 1960?

As far as I know the one on NW 50th and N Shield is concerned, I was
always under the impression that it was opened in order to provide for their
children's college education. Perhaps it's success allowed for another
restaurant.

Any thoughts? CT? Stan? Anyone older than me?

ctchandler
03-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Prunepicker,
I remember Hoe Sai Gai, but I never ate there. Also, where is N. W. 50th and Shields, it doesn't show on google maps. I thought Shields ended near Main in downtown OKC. By the way, your link to Ho Sai Gai went to an ad for their restaurant on 3800 N. W. 63rd.
C. T.
Does anyone remember Hoe Sai Gai (http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/1969-ads/2253d1345673547-1969-ads-grant-sq-bank-hunzicker-brothers-hoe-sai-tai-restaurant-3900-nw-63.jpg) on 3900 NW 39th? I know about the

restaurant.

ctchandler
03-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Prunepicker,
I have eaten there! It wasn't on Shields, it was at 5201 N. Shartel, see below. It had been Jacques (Orenstein) restaurant and I have eaten there as well. I still don't know about any other locations other than the one I mentioned in my first post.
C. T.

Prunepicker
03-14-2014, 12:33 AM
Prunepicker,
I have eaten there! It wasn't on Shields, it was at 5201 N. Shartel, see below.
C. T.

You're exactly right. I was thinking about House of Chan just off of NW
39th Expressway and a block west of N. Penn.

Prunepicker
03-14-2014, 12:36 AM
Does anyone remember Oui Lin's on N Penn and about NW 12th? There was
something about having the food served on silver platters. Most Chinese
restaurants did that in the 50's and 60's.

They also served hot rye bread and butter. Loved it.

SoonerDave
03-14-2014, 05:01 AM
Restaurant I miss from my kidhood was the old Spaghetti House on S. Western, on the west side of the road around 50th or so (Give or take). Near the old YMCA.

I remember its quiet, dimly lit atmosphere, breadsticks at the table, checkered tablecloths, and just the best smell you could imagine. They'd bring a little carousel of sauces to your table, and each meal finished off with a small bowl of orange sherbet.

My #1 most missed restaurant, however, has to be Glen's Steakhouse. It was sooo nice - blueberry muffins to each table, and the aroma of steaks just permeated the building with its quiet atmosphere. And they had a huge "SMOR-GAS-BORD" on Sundays with some of the richest, thickest mac-and-cheese you ever tasted. Wow. I remember thinking as a kid that Glens was the kind of place I"d go if I really wanted to impress a date. Sadly, Glen's was gone before I ever got the chance :(

RadicalModerate
03-14-2014, 06:33 AM
NikZ at the Top (Founders Tower) (Went 3 times. Some of the finest food--and ambiance--ever.)
Gabriella's (around 50th and Western) (Peter Seay's place. Top notch everything.)
Boca Boca (in the Collonade--now Sean Cumming's--and moved south on May.)
Der Dutchman (either of two locations, one on S. 74th St.) (Loved the hush puppies and gumbo.)
The [BBQ Shack] at I-35 and NE 10th (can't remember the name. I'm gettin' old.)
Bahama Breeze (good food, good drinks, good live music, good location, no good reason to close).
Shipman's Café (S. Robinson?) (endless "biscuits" and darn good chicken)

Urbanized
03-14-2014, 06:38 AM
The BBQ place at NE 10th and I-35 was Tom's. No guns allowed.

Also, I liked NikZ, but I liked Eagle's Nest better.

I'll nominate Han's BBQ as a place I miss. And the recently-departed (but still old) Lunch Box, and the not-as-recently departed cafe at the Downtown Airpark.

SoonerDave
03-14-2014, 06:58 AM

Also, I liked NikZ, but I like Eagle's Nest better.

I'll nominate Han's BBQ as a place I miss. And the recently-departed (but still old) Lunch Box, and the not-as-recently departed cafe at the Downtown Airpark.

Agree completely. My wife and I went there (Eagle's Nest) on our first anniversary, and the place was really spectacular. Went back a year (maybe two?) later, and it was Nikz. While it was still a nice place, the atmosphere just wasn't even remotely like Eagle's Nest, targeting a different crowd entirely. Just not our cup of tea, and we never went back.

Hans BBQ is a great pick. I remember going up there and just getting a brown sack of BBQ sandwiches, and the smell inside was awesome :)

OKVision4U
03-14-2014, 07:25 AM
...one of my favorite old restaurants was Braum's. Do you remember their commercials?

.. "know what I mean, Vern?" . ( kidding only).

Roger S
03-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Mine has to be a place that was just west of S. Western on Grand Blvd that was called The Royal Fork.

We would go there almost every Sunday and have lunch with my grandfather.

RadicalModerate
03-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Never had a chance to experience The Eagle's Nest. If it was better than NikZ I'm extra regretful.

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she not only provided me with the name of the BBQ Shack (Tom's BBQ) but also provided three more locations that immediately came to her mind:

Triples (for the Monte Cristo Sandwich) (I never made it to Triples).
Bennigan's (ditto on the Monte Cristo) (had one here, to me these are far, far too "cloyingly battered/sweet")
Molly Murphy's ("for a birthday") (Never ate here but did get to see just how greasy and dirty a kitchen could get, just before they closed their doors).

Ditto on Han's BBQ.
(and I never got to try Nicolosi's, but hear that it was pretty darn good)

ctchandler
03-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Prunepicker,
My wife and I went to Oui Lin's often (she loved the garlic frittered chicken). Then one day, we were served shrimp fried rice with spoiled shrimp. They were kind, didn't charge us and brought us fresh meals (that we couldn't eat), and we could never go back. If You've ever had spoiled shrimp, you'll understand. Most Chinese restaurants served hot rye bread, it was in a basket covered by a cloth napkin. House of Chan was where my mother and dad took us in the 40's.
C. T.

ctchandler
03-14-2014, 10:21 AM
SoonerDave,
Wow! Another good memory from the 60's-70's. I'm having trouble picturing the Spaghetti House, building or location. I'm sure it was South of 50th. Wasn't it a standalone building? I enjoyed Glen's when I could afford it. I went there for two school prom dinners with my girlfriend. After I got out of the Navy, my wife and I used to enjoy it. It was in our "rotation" of nicer places to go for dinner. I never made the smorgasbord though. I had always heard it was good.
C. T.
Restaurant I miss from my kidhood was the old Spaghetti House on S. Western, on the west side of the road around 50th or so (Give or take). Near the old YMCA.

I remember its quiet, dimly lit atmosphere, breadsticks at the table, checkered tablecloths, and just the best smell you could imagine. They'd bring a little carousel of sauces to your table, and each meal finished off with a small bowl of orange sherbet.

My #1 most missed restaurant, however, has to be Glen's Steakhouse. It was sooo nice - blueberry muffins to each table, and the aroma of steaks just permeated the building with its quiet atmosphere. And they had a huge "SMOR-GAS-BORD" on Sundays with some of the richest, thickest mac-and-cheese you ever tasted. Wow. I remember thinking as a kid that Glens was the kind of place I"d go if I really wanted to impress a date. Sadly, Glen's was gone before I ever got the chance :(

ctchandler
03-14-2014, 10:29 AM
RM,
If fish could fly, you wouldn't need Boca Boca! Fresh fish flown in daily. An excellent place. I don't remember Gabriella's, what was their specialty? The BBQ Shack was Tom's Oaklawn (or commonly, just Tom's). Der Dutchman (previously known as the Zuider Zee) was a good place and I cut my teeth (almost literally) at Shipman's, ate there on Robinson mostly until they built a little nicer place further West on the South side of Reno (I think???). We ate at Bahama Breeze once. Not overly thrilled with it. Not saying it was bad, just not our choice for an upscale dinner.
C. T.
NikZ at the Top (Founders Tower) (Went 3 times. Some of the finest food--and ambiance--ever.)
Gabriella's (around 50th and Western) (Peter Seay's place. Top notch everything.)
Boca Boca (in the Collonade--now Sean Cumming's--and moved south on May.)
Der Dutchman (either of two locations, one on S. 74th St.) (Loved the hush puppies and gumbo.)
The [BBQ Shack] at I-35 and NE 10th (can't remember the name. I'm gettin' old.)
Bahama Breeze (good food, good drinks, good live music, good location, no good reason to close).
Shipman's Café (S. Robinson?) (endless "biscuits" and darn good chicken)

ctchandler
03-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Urbanized,
Never went to NikZ, or the Eagle's Nest, so I have no opinion. Han's was really good, but not the typical hickory smoked barbecue. In my opinion (and a lot of others), Tom's had the best ribs in town. I didn't care much for anything else, not even his beans, average at best. And his sauce was served heated and brought around fresh to each table. You didn't pour cold sauce on a hot mea!
C. T.

Also, I liked NikZ, but I liked Eagle's Nest better.

Achilleslastand
03-14-2014, 10:35 AM

restaurant.

I can remember several trips to the one on Shartel and 50th as a youngster and it had pretty good décor as well as food if memory serves correct.

ctchandler
03-14-2014, 10:37 AM
OBEA,
I was born and raised there, I don't remember any restaurant. It couldn't have been on the North side of Grand Blvd. What time frame are you talking about? Help me! It's driving me crazy.
C. T.
Mine has to be a place that was just west of S. Western on Grand Blvd that was called The Royal Fork.

We would go there almost every Sunday and have lunch with my grandfather.

ctchandler
03-14-2014, 10:43 AM
RM,
You can't mention Nicolosi's without mentioning the J & R Chicken Ranch! They were about a mile apart and it was always tough to decide on Italian or good chicken. Triple's is where I had my first and last Monte Cristo sandwich. Couldn't handle the sweetness. I don't eat sweets at all now, but I did then, just never was into sweetening the man dish (entree). By the way, I'm sure you know, they were located where the Metro wine Bar and Bistro is today.
C. T.
Never had a chance to experience The Eagle's Nest. If it was better than NikZ I'm extra regretful.

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she not only provided me with the name of the BBQ Shack (Tom's BBQ) but also provided three more locations that immediately came to her mind:

Triples (for the Monte Cristo Sandwich) (I never made it to Triples).
Bennigan's (ditto on the Monte Cristo) (had one here, to me these are far, far too "cloyingly battered/sweet")
Molly Murphy's ("for a birthday") (Never ate here but did get to see just how greasy and dirty a kitchen could get, just before they closed their doors).

Ditto on Han's BBQ.
(and I never got to try Nicolosi's, but hear that it was pretty darn good)

ctchandler
03-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Achilleslastand,
After I woke up and realized that I had been there a few times, I also remembered that the food was really good. Probably one of the better Chinese restaurants in town.
C. T.
I can remember several trips to the one on Shartel and 50th as a youngster and it had pretty good décor as well as food if memory serves correct.

Tritone
03-14-2014, 09:27 PM
I do remember House of Chan and Oui Lin's. We ate at both a few times. On 10th, the Chicken Ranch and Nicolosi's were both good. That's my old neck of the woods. On west, near Chisholm was Buttons Cafe. Anyone else remember that one?

Prunepicker
03-14-2014, 09:32 PM
I do remember House of Chan and Oui Lin's. We ate at both a few times.
They were two of my favorite Chinese restaurants. Both served the entrees
on silver dishes and provided hot rye bread before the main courses were
served.

On 10th, the Chicken Ranch and Nicolosi's were both good. That's my old
neck of the woods. On west, near Chisholm was Buttons Cafe. Anyone else
remember that one?
JR's Chicken Ranch and Nicolosi's were OKC icons. I don't remember
Buttons. Tell us about it.

Prunepicker
03-14-2014, 09:39 PM
... Triple's is where I had my first and last Monte Cristo sandwich. Couldn't
handle the sweetness.
C. T.
The Monte Cristo was good if you expected the sweetness. I liked it.

Triples was on the property that Herman Baggett owned. He owned Herman's
Seafood and Market. I really, really, really liked that place. The cole slaw
was off the charts.

Here's a mind blowing experience. Steak and Tails for $4.99. A steak with
3 lobster tails. Incredible. And all the cole slaw you could eat. I believe
our waitress was almost always Maggie. I remember her face.

Achilleslastand
03-14-2014, 09:43 PM
They were two of my favorite Chinese restaurants. Both served the entrees
on silver dishes and provided hot rye bread before the main courses were
served.

JR's Chicken Ranch and Nicolosi's were OKC icons. I don't remember
Buttons. Tell us about it.

Amen to that.......
I still remember that Rye bread like it was yesterday.

Achilleslastand
03-14-2014, 09:45 PM

was off the charts.

Isnt there a place still in town that still serves the "hermans cole slaw'?

Prunepicker
03-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Isn't there a place still in town that still serves the "hermans cole slaw'?
I've heard that there's a grocery on NW 72 and N Western, or there abouts,
that has the slaw. I think the kids know the recipe. It was very simple. I
believe the way it was shredded was a major factor. I'd ask for seconds.
Sometimes thirds.

Prunepicker
03-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Amen to that...
I still remember that Rye bread like it was yesterday.
No kidding. Most Chinese restaurants in the 50's and 60's, my era,
would bring hot rye bread to the table. I'm sure that Hoe Sai Gai did the
same thing. I never got to eat there.

Tritone
03-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Buttons, south side of 10th, just east of the Baptist church, was one of those little holes in wall where the waitresses all called you "Hon," the special for the day was meat loaf, or beans and corn bread, or stew, or some other simple food. The pies were home made and so were the incredible rolls.

Prunepicker
03-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Buttons, south side of 10th, just east of the Baptist church, was one of those
little holes in wall where the waitresses all called you "Hon," the special for the
day was meat loaf, or beans and corn bread, or stew, or some other simple
food. The pies were home made and so were the incredible rolls.
I don't remember such a place. What was the north/south street?

Prunepicker
03-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Restaurant I miss from my kidhood was the old Spaghetti House on S. Western,
on the west side of the road around 50th or so (Give or take). Near the old
YMCA...
Was it called Jack's and didn't they serve steaks, too? Was it at the south
end of the shopping center?

Nevermind, I was thinking of a place in the same area but on S. Penn.

Garin
03-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Harrigan's every Friday night dinner and Sunday morning brunch.... Zucchini chips, cheese rolls, prime rib. It was all so good.

Ding Ho best garlic fried chicken in the whole world , they had the rye bread also.

Nińo's in his prime. My dad's favorite place when I was growing up we ate there every Friday night and we all looked forward to it. He ordered the Acapulco special every time and always got one of those pink peanut patties by the cash register when we were leaving.

SOONER8693
03-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Not that the food was super outstanding, but, it wasn't bad and it was all you could eat. Casa Bonita on 39th. It opened when I was in college at Southwestern at Weatherford. When it first opened it was $1.45 for the all you could eat. A bunch of us guys would make a road trip to OKC about once a month(2-3 carloads) just to hit Casa Bonita. Then we almost always had to stop in to the Red Dog for brews on 10th street.

ctchandler
03-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Prunepicker,
It was on Penn, I missed that on SoonerDave's post. I don't remember "Jack's" but it was The Family Spaghetti House. I don't remember steaks either. I don't believe it could have been on Western. At least not near 50th.
C. T.
Was it called Jack's and didn't they serve steaks, too? Was it at the south
end of the shopping center?

Nevermind, I was thinking of a place in the same area but on S. Penn.

BlackmoreRulz
03-15-2014, 06:16 PM
The YMCA was on Penn not Western. Was this spaghetti place in the same building as Pizza Planet was in?

Jack's was just north of 59th and Penn on the west side of the road, place was great as a kid, you got your choice of anything in the candy display if you cleaned your plate.

boscorama
03-15-2014, 07:26 PM
I really liked Triples, too.

was off the charts.

ctchandler
03-15-2014, 09:46 PM
BlackmoreRulz,
I believe it was in a pizza place, it definitely was in a stand alone building. At least that's the way I remember it. The entrance was on the side (South side). Our boys loved the place. Wasn't it all you can eat?
C. T.
The YMCA was on Penn not Western. Was this spaghetti place in the same building as Pizza Planet was in?

Jack's was just north of 59th and Penn on the west side of the road, place was great as a kid, you got your choice of anything in the candy display if you cleaned your plate.

mugofbeer
03-15-2014, 10:16 PM
How about Holloway's burgers on 23rd, Dolores Restaurant near the capitol, Nicolosi's on 10th. Also The Patio at the Classen Circle and Shotgun Sam's on May. Lots of good memories at the Chinese places already mentioned

UnclePete
03-16-2014, 05:41 AM
Neds on May was really good. Was it Neds or nicolosi's that served their pizza on plywood?

Achilleslastand
03-16-2014, 11:08 AM
How about Holloway's burgers on 23rd, Dolores Restaurant near the capitol, Nicolosi's on 10th. Also The Patio at the Classen Circle and Shotgun Sam's on May. Lots of good memories at the Chinese places already mentioned

My God Shotgun Sams used to have wonderful pizza. I wish someone would open using the same recipe.

benjenn
03-16-2014, 12:07 PM

I grew up eating at Oui Lin's in the '70s... this was the only place we ever went out to eat. My dad loved the garlic chicken.

My mom worked part time at Jackson's Drugstore on the north end of that strip. Wow... memories. :)

benjenn
03-16-2014, 12:16 PM
I got sick on a shrimp cocktail at the Der Dutchman one time... have never had shrimp cocktail again.

Other restaurants I miss include Bonaparte's... there was one in Shepherd Mall and also one on 39th near Ann Arbor. Tony's Via Roma on NW Expressway just east of May. Triple's on 16th & Classen. Applewood's... oh, how I loved their apple fritters and their rolls.

kevinpate
03-16-2014, 12:25 PM
never blame all the shrimp in the sea for something untoward done to some of their ancestors in one kitchen by one grumpy cook.

bluedogok
03-16-2014, 12:46 PM
I used to work at Han's, I never thought it was all that great but it was a bit different than other BBQ places.

RM,
You can't mention Nicolosi's without mentioning the J & R Chicken Ranch! They were about a mile apart and it was always tough to decide on Italian or good chicken. Triple's is where I had my first and last Monte Cristo sandwich. Couldn't handle the sweetness. I don't eat sweets at all now, but I did then, just never was into sweetening the man dish (entree). By the way, I'm sure you know, they were located where the Metro wine Bar and Bistro is today.
C. T.
Nicolosi's and JR were closer than that, not even a 1/3rd mile apart. Growing up in the Hilldale neighborhood it was rather close to us.

Bennigan's was where I had the Monte Cristo, it was a once in awhile meal. Cheddar's is the only place that I know of that has them now, we have one in our part of South Denver area.

Not that the food was super outstanding, but, it wasn't bad and it was all you could eat. Casa Bonita on 39th. It opened when I was in college at Southwestern at Weatherford. When it first opened it was $1.45 for the all you could eat. A bunch of us guys would make a road trip to OKC about once a month(2-3 carloads) just to hit Casa Bonita. Then we almost always had to stop in to the Red Dog for brews on 10th street.
If you really want Casa Bonita there is one still open in the Lakewood area of Denver.
Casa Bonita - Denver (http://www.casabonitadenver.com/)

My God Shotgun Sams used to have wonderful pizza. I wish someone would open using the same recipe.
I agree....I also wish we could get Okie Calzone like Sammy's Pizza (and places like Pizza House now) had up here. The Mellow Mushroom is about the closest I can find.

One of my favorites was Tony's Italian Specialties at NW 30th & Penn, I love traditional red sauce Italian like they had. El Rancho Sanchez (the one next to Shotgun Sam's) was great for a big, cheap burrito.

ctchandler
03-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Bluedogok,
I was pretty young, so it was a long distance between Nicolosi's and JR. Actually, I knew it wasn't a mile, that's why I said "about" because I really don't remember them being as close as 1/3rd of a mile. I agree about Tony's, a little known Italian gem. I say "little known" because I didn't know many people that had ever heard of it or they had driven by it for years and never tried it. My family and I started eating at the El Rancho Sanchez at about 58th and South Western. We loved it. They had a buffet every Monday evening and it was great.
C. T.
I used to work at Han's, I never thought it was all that great but it was a bit different than other BBQ places.

Nicolosi's and JR were closer than that, not even a 1/3rd mile apart. Growing up in the Hilldale neighborhood it was rather close to us.

Bennigan's was where I had the Monte Cristo, it was a once in awhile meal. Cheddar's is the only place that I know of that has them now, we have one in our part of South Denver area.

If you really want Casa Bonita there is one still open in the Lakewood area of Denver.

I agree....I also wish we could get Okie Calzone like Sammy's Pizza (and places like Pizza House now) had up here. The Mellow Mushroom is about the closest I can find.

One of my favorites was Tony's Italian Specialties at NW 30th & Penn, I love traditional red sauce Italian like they had. El Rancho Sanchez (the one next to Shotgun Sam's) was great for a big, cheap burrito.

Achilleslastand
03-16-2014, 03:04 PM

Wait a sec....
Did or wasn't Sammys supposed to open a store here recently or are they only doing the fair thing?

ctchandler
03-16-2014, 03:32 PM
A place that just popped into my mind was Hardy's, Famous for Steaks. It was one block West of the old Union Bus Station on the N. W. corner. Long after they closed the restaurant, they served ham sandwiches at the state fair. Really good steaks, shore patrol salad (a wilted lettuce salad) and the hangout for lot's of celebrities that performed at the Civic Center Music Hall, or as it was know then, the Municipal Auditorium. My aunt worked there and there were lots of autographs on the walls by the performers.
C. T.

Urbanized
03-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Wait a sec....
Did or wasn't Sammys supposed to open a store here recently or are they only doing the fair thing?

The individual who had the rights to the Sammy's name (and who runs the tent at the State Fair) was working on opening a store on the canal, but ran out of resources. The spot is now occupied by the recently-opened Knuck's Wheelhouse.

boscorama
03-16-2014, 07:17 PM
What was that greasyspoon in Britton, the AAA Cafe?

RadicalModerate
03-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Okay . . . Here's one that I bet almost nobody remembers:
"Good Eats Café".

It was where "The Ranch" is now (over on Britton Rd.).
I only ate there a couple of times, but the food was superb, if basic, and priced right.
It was the place where my "cooking gene" was activated with my first taste of "Tequila Glazed Chicken".

(I know that TGC is, like, Cooking 101 but it was sure good and opened up my culinary horizons. =)

RadicalModerate
03-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Yup. Never got to eat there. They closed before I moved to The Village.

Achilleslastand
03-16-2014, 07:21 PM

That name seems to ring a bell or maybe it was called britton cafe.

Achilleslastand
03-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Okay . . . Here's one that I bet almost nobody remembers:
"Good Eats Café".

It was where "The Ranch" is now (over on Britton Rd.).
I only ate there a couple of times, but the food was superb, if basic, and priced right.
It was the place where my "cooking gene" was activated with my first taste of "Tequila Glazed Chicken".

(I know that TGC is, like, Cooking 101 but it was sure good and opened up my culinary horizons. =)

In the 70s the "great American railroad" was in that same spot and had pretty good food. For a time in the later 80s it was a Mexican joint although I cant think of the name of it.

RadicalModerate
03-16-2014, 07:42 PM
In the 70s the "great American railroad" was in that same spot and had pretty good food. For a time in the later 80s it was a Mexican joint although I cant think of the name of it.

That's right . . . I almost forgot . . . It, the railroad-esque motif, intended by the original tenet, probably had a lot to do with the artistic architecture of the building . . . =)

ctchandler
03-16-2014, 07:53 PM
RM,
Don't forget, it was also Bodean's, a restaurant that started in Tulsa and is still in Tulsa. I used to eat lunch at the AAA, good chicken fried steak.
C. T.
That's right . . . I almost forgot . . . It, the railroad-esque motif, intended by the original tenet, probably had a lot to do with the artistic architecture of the building . . . =)

Jim Kyle
03-16-2014, 08:38 PM
A place that just popped into my mind was Hardy's, Famous for Steaks. It was one block West of the old Union Bus Station on the N. W. corner. Long after they closed the restaurant, they served ham sandwiches at the state fair. Really good steaks, shore patrol salad (a wilted lettuce salad) and the hangout for lot's of celebrities that performed at the Civic Center Music Hall, or as it was know then, the Municipal Auditorium. My aunt worked there and there were lots of autographs on the walls by the performers.Oh, my, how could we have overlooked Hardy's for so long in this thread?

I was introduced to it while riding the "Toonerville Trolley" from a MoPac flag stop into Columbia, MO, en route to a photojournalism workshop in the spring of 1951, by the only other occupant of the car -- an advance man for Sol Hurok Productions who was on the way to prepare for a Broadway show's tour stop at UofMO there. We chatted to pass the time and when he found out I was from OKC, he asked if I had ever been to Hardy's. "No, what's that?" was my reply and he informed me that it was one of the best steak houses in the country and that the casts of almost all travelling shows that played Municipal Auditorium ate there.

I didn't get around to trying it until years later, but it became one of my regular stops. One of their specialties was "Shore Patrol Salad" which had earned its name during WW2 when Norman hosted not one but two Navy bases since it was a favorite among the SP squads who patrolled downtown OKC on weekends. It was simply "wilted" green lettuce with lots of cumbled crisp bacon on it, and the hot bacon fat was the dressing. Great stuff!

The original location burned and the business wound up being auctioned off. A bowling acquaintance by the name of Andy Anderson bought it, and set up under the original name down on SW 29 just west of Western, with all the same menu and the same great service. Then one day I drove by and it was closed. Never did hear what happened...

Achilleslastand
03-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Oh, my, how could we have overlooked Hardy's for so long in this thread?

I was introduced to it while riding the "Toonerville Trolley" from a MoPac flag stop into Columbia, MO, en route to a photojournalism workshop in the spring of 1951, by the only other occupant of the car -- an advance man for Sol Hurok Productions who was on the way to prepare for a Broadway show's tour stop at UofMO there. We chatted to pass the time and when he found out I was from OKC, he asked if I had ever been to Hardy's. "No, what's that?" was my reply and he informed me that it was one of the best steak houses in the country and that the casts of almost all travelling shows that played Municipal Auditorium ate there.

I didn't get around to trying it until years later, but it became one of my regular stops. One of their specialties was "Shore Patrol Salad" which had earned its name during WW2 when Norman hosted not one but two Navy bases since it was a favorite among the SP squads who patrolled downtown OKC on weekends. It was simply "wilted" green lettuce with lots of cumbled crisp bacon on it, and the hot bacon fat was the dressing. Great stuff!

The original location burned and the business wound up being auctioned off. A bowling acquaintance by the name of Andy Anderson bought it, and set up under the original name down on SW 29 just west of Western, with all the same menu and the same great service. Then one day I drove by and it was closed. Never did hear what happened...

Off topic here.....
I knew there was one naval base in norman by the airpark but where was the other?

ljbab728
03-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Off topic here.....
I knew there was one naval base in norman by the airpark but where was the other?

The Naval Air Technical Training Center was located directly south of OU. I don't remember when it was active but I remember the buildings being there when I grew up in Norman and went to school at OU.

Jim Kyle
03-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Off topic here.....
I knew there was one naval base in norman by the airpark but where was the other?One was south of the OU campus, and the other north of Robinson. Max Westheimer Field is a relic of the North Base. During my years at OU (1948-52) there were dozens of WW2 Navy fighters, mostly Corsairs, mothballed at the old South Base, and during my first year a tragic fire destroyed the BOQ at the South Base which was being used by OU as a men's dorm, killing three students. By 1950, part of the South Base got reactivated for training and it wasn't unusual to see lots of Navy uniforms around Norman and OKC on weekends.

Urbanized
03-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Used to love RJ's Cafe up on Santa Fe. Old-school diner. Much like downtown Airpark though, the smokers ruled that place. So you had to be content with smelling like an ashtray when you left. It's hard to believe that wasn't so long ago.

Garin
03-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Used to love RJ's Cafe up on Santa Fe. Old-school diner. Much like downtown Airpark though, the smokers ruled that place. So you had to be content with smelling like an ashtray when you left. It's hard to believe that wasn't so long ago.

Blue plate special