View Full Version : Modern Family home for sale

Pete
03-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Ah, the crazy chasm between reality and Hollywood...

In the show Modern Family, Phil and Claire Dunphy live in what appears to be a nice but modest home on a typical street somewhere in Southern California (they never say where, exactly). Phil doesn't seem to work much, occasionally talking about being a realtor but never seeming to be very busy with anything business related. Claire doesn't work outside the home even though her kids are all well grown and you get the strong impression they are very middle class, driving a mundane minivan.

But living here (or even following the real estate market from afar) you know that the type of home portrayed is completely out of reach for almost everyone. In fact, I have scores of successful, professional friends out here and only a small fraction own anything at all, and none have anything like Phil & Claire's house.

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/5320a6f0f92ea1329f01f8d9/14-743187_0.jpg

What do you think this house goes for? Consider it is nowhere near the beach.

(scroll down)

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

$2.35 million.

Buy the Cheviot Hills House Made Famous on Modern Family - Sets For Sale - Curbed LA (http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/03/buy_the_cheviot_hills_house_made_famous_on_modern_ family.php)

Pete
03-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Here are the other two homes featured in the show:

Jay & Gloria's modern place valued at $7.4 million.

Mitchell & Cameron's half duplex valued at $1.3 million.

bradh
03-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Such a different world out there

ljbab728
03-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Quite a few years ago my aunt and uncle lived in a very modest 1 bedroom house about 3 blocks from the beach in Redondo. When they sold it and moved back to Oklahoma they got over $1 million. It was all about the land which was worth much more than the house.

RadicalModerate
03-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Is the house pictured at the top of the thread the one in which Ozzie and Harriet used to live?
(wherever they lived, they had a money tree growing in the backyard)

traxx
03-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Just because that's the asking price, and just because somebody's willing to pay it, doesn't mean the house is worth that.

Pete
03-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Just because that's the asking price, and just because somebody's willing to pay it, doesn't mean the house is worth that.

Out here, it's more common for people to pay more than the asking price than less.

Often, there are bidding wars.

MsProudSooner
03-13-2014, 11:16 AM
I have a friend who is a real estate appraiser in the San Diego area. Several years ago, i sent her a link to a house for sale in Tulsa, similar to this one:

5230 S Columbia St, Tulsa, OK 74105 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.comŽ (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5230-S-Columbia-St_Tulsa_OK_74105_M76566-23557?row=8)

She said if that house was in SD, it would sell for about a million, someone would buy it, tear it down and build something that would sell for 2 - 3 million.

catch22
03-13-2014, 11:19 AM

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay, and what someone is willing to sell for.

It may not be a valued transaction either direction, but the value's worth is the close price. A $2 beer on discount might have a value of $2.50, but it's only worth $2 on the market. If you have one, you can't sell it for $2.50 while the market is paying $2.

Pete
03-13-2014, 11:32 AM
On average, homes out here are about 4 to 5 times as expensive as OKC.

Things came down a bunch during the recession but they are climbing again, and quickly.

Bill Robertson
03-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Quite a few years ago my aunt and uncle lived in a very modest 1 bedroom house about 3 blocks from the beach in Redondo. When they sold it and moved back to Oklahoma they got over $1 million. It was all about the land which was worth much more than the house.My ex father-in-law had a older, very modest, needed a lot of work house in Burbank. Similar to many of the 1000 to 1200 sq.ft. houses near where I grew up off of NW 36th & May. In NW OKC it would sell for 70 to 80 thousand. He sold it a few years ago for around 500 thousand. He bought a huge mountainside house in Arizona.

SoonerDave
03-14-2014, 08:31 AM
I built my first house about 23 years ago, and my neighbor bought and moved in to a home two doors down. When we finally had a chance to meet, he mentioned that he was from California and retired to Oklahoma to be with his daughter and their new grandbaby. He had lived in California all his life, and once they made the decision to move out here he has his daughter to look for some new houses, and send him some photos.

Now, understand this was about 1991. She followed up, sent him the photos - among them, a brand new builder spec home, roughly 1,800 sf, for sale for about $80,000.

He called her back, saying "hey, this must be a misprint on what you sent - this one house says its only $80K"

She said, "Yeah, dad, that's not a mistake. That's what houses go for out here."

He said, "you're kidding me??"

She said, "Nope."

He said, "I'll buy that place sight-unseen."

And that's exactly what he did. In all honesty, I think the daughter actually did at least a bit of due-diligence on the place, but he still bought it in a standard most of us would consider "sight unseen." He had sold his place in California, plus had his retirement, and probably had more cash on hand than you could shake a stick at.

They still live at that same address to this day, almost a quarter century later. He was one of the nicest neighbors I've ever had. After they'd been here a while, he said "When I lived in California, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to live in Oklahoma. Now that I've been here, I can't imagine going back. This is an awesome place to live and raise a family."

And we weren't even an official "Big League City" back then :)