View Full Version : 600K taken from megachurch

okcboomer
03-12-2014, 10:57 AM
$600K taken from safe at Osteen's megachurch | News OK (http://newsok.com/600k-taken-from-safe-at-osteens-megachurch/article/feed/661168)

600K sitting in a safe at a church? WWJD?

Just the facts
03-12-2014, 10:59 AM
$600K taken from safe at Osteen's megachurch | News OK (http://newsok.com/600k-taken-from-safe-at-osteens-megachurch/article/feed/661168)

600K sitting in a safe at a church? WWJD?

Probably this:

12And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, 13And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

kelroy55
03-12-2014, 11:02 AM
The theft was reported Monday morning by a church employee and an off-duty sheriff's deputy who provides security at the facility.

In a statement issued Monday, Lakewood Church said the money and checks taken, as well as some envelopes with written credit card information, were limited to funds given during this past weekend's Saturday and Sunday services.

Not sure how much security that off duty deputy provided.... 600K from just over the weekend? wow

Just the facts
03-12-2014, 11:10 AM
600K from just over the weekend? wow

His 17,000 sq ft mansion doesn't pay for itself and who knows what the fuel bill is on his private jet. Anyhow, some day he will get a chance to explain it.

OKCisOK4me
03-12-2014, 11:12 AM
I once received a gift of a book by Joel Osteen which I never read cause his smile is waaaaaaay too phony!

venture
03-12-2014, 11:12 AM
His 17,000 sq ft mansion doesn't pay for itself and who knows what the fuel bill is on his private jet.

Bingo. This is why I don't care for the big box "churches" which are nothing more than businesses, using faith as a marketing tool, that get to skirt the tax requirements most companies have.

okcboomer
03-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Would be interesting to hear those who give to this church their justification of doing so. Boggles the mind how so many feel the need to do such a thing.

Easy180
03-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Give all that you can brothers and sisters...And then get your '98 Dodge Shadows out of my parking lot

kevinpate
03-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Put in perspective though, 600G over a set of weekend services in a magachurch that sees (per the article) 40,000 attendees per weekend. Many likely give nada, Many give 10% or more of their income, but as an average amount, that number equates to 15.00 per head, with 2/3 of it in checks and cc info and about 1/3 as cash in the plate.

The number isn't surprising to me. The absence of better security protocols is the bigger surprise.

RadicalModerate
03-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Maybe God simply cut out the middleman and took back what was his to begin with?
(force majeure: kind of hard to provide "security" against that . . .)

(sorry . . . didn't mean to say "his" . . . i meant God's)

Snowman
03-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Maybe God simply cut out the middleman and took back what was his to begin with?
(force majeure: kind of hard to provide "security" against that . . .)

(sorry . . . didn't mean to say "his" . . . i meant God's)

Surely they stole it to take to the next church they could find.

Urbanized
03-13-2014, 06:43 PM
That would actually be fantastic. If it were some poor church doing actual, you know...Christian stuff. Like feeding the hungry and clothing the poor. That still goes on, right?

RadicalModerate
03-13-2014, 06:51 PM
That would actually be fantastic. If it were some poor church doing actual, you know...Christian stuff. Like feeding the hungry and clothing the poor. That still goes on, right?

Perhaps a case of "Robin God" rather than robbin' god?
(nah . . . probably just someone who wanted to upgrade from a '98 Dodge Shadow to a Tesla.)

(sorry to interrupt . . . back to reruns of "Homicide: Life on the Street")

BoulderSooner
03-14-2014, 07:33 AM

Thing like a homeless day shelter Feeding families in need. Or maybe a women's shelter.

Things that Lakewood does on a pretty big scale

I am not a big fan of "mega" churches in general. But let's not act like this church doesn't do those things