View Full Version : Pharmacy on Campus Corner?

UrbanNorman
03-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Take this for what it's worth, but a friend was getting her haircut at Zen Salon on Campus Corner a few weeks ago and her stylist told her that they were being forced to vacate their lease by month end (this was beginning of March) because a CVS was coming into their space.

With that being said, I have MAJOR doubts that a CVS would come to Campus Corner, and if so, that they would be willing to change their model to a more urban model to fit within the existing buildings (including the now empty bookstore).

Does anyone have any leads on this? Like I said, I just can't bring myself to believe it, especially coming from a source like this.

BG918
03-12-2014, 12:34 PM
That would be great if true . The closed bookstore is an eyesore, and having a pharmacy with some basic food options will make the area more attractive to higher density residential development. It would also be convenient for the thousands of OU students and faculty who could easily walk to the pharmacy.

Pete
03-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Drugstores like to be near campuses for the same reason they increasing their presence in downtowns: Density of people and the ability to offer them a little bit of everything; i.e. the modern day five-and-dime.

This location would make a lot of sense. Hope it happens.

LocoAko
03-12-2014, 08:26 PM
I have heard the same from a friend who gets their hair cut at Zen, FWIW.

venture
03-12-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm guessing this is the reason Zen changed locations on Porter - get more room since they are merging the two operations into one location.

Either way, CVS on Campus Corner would be a nice addition up there - especially they are what Pete describes them as.

ereid
03-13-2014, 07:10 AM
CVS is coming to Campus Corner.

UrbanNorman
03-13-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't necessarily disagree that a drugstore/pharmacy would be a good addition to Campus Corner from a density and foot traffic perspective. My doubts stem from CVS changing their "big box" model to be in a location like this. I suppose Eckerd used to have that model and CVS acquired Eckerd. However, outside of many major urban areas, I can't think of CVS opening a new store under the Eckerd model. It's also very possible that I haven't been paying much attention.

Thoughts on this?

Pete
03-13-2014, 12:54 PM
CVS is in lots of similar locations.

I remember going into one right next to the Wisconsin campus in Madison and it was quite different than what you see on a suburban street corner.

It was also a godsend, as I was staying on campus and needed a bunch of different things and didn't have a car. And the place was crazy busy every time I went in.

ou48A
03-13-2014, 12:58 PM
This is very good news for those football fans who occasionally forget to bring the sun screen, battery’s or some over the counter medicine and other items.

Geographer
03-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Great news...improves the lives of people living in and around campus corner to walk to a general type store to pick up quick everyday items....if it takes on a form that fits campus corner, I'm all for it

kevinpate
03-13-2014, 04:11 PM
No issue at all with it going in, but there are two convenience stores on/near campus corner now (at Boyd/Debarr & White/Buchannan?), another about 1/2 mile or less to the east, and Midway about 1/3 mile and up a block or so to the west. Excluding controlled meds, all carry items similar to what the sundries area of CVS will carry. I hope we don't seriously harm three local businesses in the process of drawing in the chain store.

Geographer
03-13-2014, 06:18 PM
No issue at all with it going in, but there are two convenience stores on/near campus corner now (at Boyd/Debarr & White/Buchannan?), another about 1/2 mile or less to the east, and Midway about 1/3 mile and up a block or so to the west. Excluding controlled meds, all carry items similar to what the sundries area of CVS will carry. I hope we don't seriously harm three local businesses in the process of drawing in the chain store.

The convenience store at White and Buchanan and the one on Boyd don't carry other things though like shampoo, soap, etc...I don't think they'll hurt the local businesses. They are more equivalent to what 7-11 carries and not what CVS carries. Midway will be okay, they serve some of the best sandwiches in Norman...which CVS doesn't carry ;)

DowntownMan
03-13-2014, 06:33 PM
From Studio Zen website:

We have exciting news, Studio Zen will be moving to to 301 S. Porter Ave. Ste. 100 in Norman on March 15, 2014.If you have any trouble finding us call us at 405.329.2859. We will keep you updated on the exciting changes this move will bring about. On the right you will find our Facebook page and online scheduling. You can view all of our stylists and learn a little about each one.

soonerfan_in_okc
03-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Parking is going to suck. I know they may be expecting to get most of their service from pedestrians, but even if that is the case there will still be plenty of people who are going to drive cars. Still glad its coming though.

Geographer
03-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Parking is going to suck. I know they may be expecting to get most of their service from pedestrians, but even if that is the case there will still be plenty of people who are going to drive cars. Still glad its coming though.

There's tons of parking in the area, I'm not worried...I've never really had a problem parking on campus corner at any time of the day.

soonerfan_in_okc
03-13-2014, 07:47 PM
There's tons of parking in the area, I'm not worried...I've never really had a problem parking on campus corner at any time of the day.

tons??? I don't know how often you go, but I live right by campus corner and always have a hard time finding a spot, ESPECIALLY if it is in the evening. And if for some reason the parking lots have attendents who are paying attention to who parks there, then parking gets even more scarce. And the church lot a few blocks west is too far to walk for a trip to CVS.

DowntownMan
03-13-2014, 08:50 PM
This particular building has dedicated parking behind it. About 20 spots.

Which if you think of a normal CVS....there are seldom more than 20-30 cars in the lot at once. So combine this dedicated lot with the metered spots on the area streets...parking should be fine.

Jersey Boss
03-14-2014, 06:41 AM
I wonder where the obligatory Walgreens paired with CVS will locate?

soonerfan_in_okc
03-14-2014, 07:18 PM

Which if you think of a normal CVS....there are seldom more than 20-30 cars in the lot at once. So combine this dedicated lot with the metered spots on the area streets...parking should be fine.

I had no idea. That's great.

ou48A
03-15-2014, 11:48 AM

Those are very highly prized parking spots....
This is somewhat dated but the last I knew those were leased out by the Powell family. I suppose CVS could make some arrangement?