View Full Version : New Jersey Say No To Tesla Direct Sales

Pages : [1] 2

Just the facts
03-12-2014, 07:29 AM
So when is Tesla going to take these cases to the Supreme Court under Interstate Commerce. According to the Constitution Congress regulates commerce between in-state and out-of-state parties. I know this because gun manufacturers use the exact opposite argument to avoid federal laws by claiming interstate commerce isn't taking place when a gun is manufactured and sold in the same state.

Are the states trying to argue that since the transaction (the signing of the loan papers) takes place in the same state that it is NOT interstate commerce? If so, would they apply that same logic to gun sales?

Tesla Stores May Be Closed After N.J. Blocks Direct Sales - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-11/tesla-stores-may-be-closed-after-n-j-blocks-direct-sales.html)

onthestrip
03-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Was pretty sure I just heard Gov. Christie talking about less regulations and freeing up businesses from burdensome laws... Doesnt seem to be the case here.

SoonerDave
03-12-2014, 11:34 AM
This is one area where the Republicans absolutely kill themselves. They run on a pro-business platform, then engage in this obvoius, naked scheme to protect the big-box vehicle retailers. That just perpetuates the perception that they have nothing but specific interests at heart. There's absolutely no reason for this. None.

Just the facts
03-12-2014, 02:25 PM
I was listening to some representative from auto dealer association the other day and they are scared to death of the direct sales model - not because Tesla is cutting into business, but because they are afraid the legacy auto companies will start doing it. What drives me crazy is the notion that auto dealers are responsible for lower prices when every car I have ever bought the dealer tried to charge me as much as possible and the only way I can get a lower price is to haggle for 6 or 7 hours - and still not know if I got ripped off. The bottom line is that the more middlemen there are the higher the price goes because everyone along chain needs to earn a profit. The manufacturer has to earn profit, the railroad operator has to earn a profit, the trucking company has to earn a profit, the auto dealer has to earn a profit, the salesman has to earn a profit - and I, the end consumer, have to pay all of them.

SoonerDave
03-12-2014, 03:00 PM
I was listening to some representative from auto dealer association the other day and they are scared to death of the direct sales model - not because Tesla is cutting into business, but because they are afraid the legacy auto companies will start doing it. What drives me crazy is the notion that auto dealers are responsible for lower prices when every car I have ever bought the dealer tried to charge me as much as possible and the only way I can get a lower price is to haggle for 6 or 7 hours - and still not know if I got ripped off. The bottom line is that the more middlemen there are the higher the price goes because everyone along chain needs to earn a profit. The manufacturer has to earn profit, the railroad operator has to earn a profit, the trucking company has to earn a profit, the auto dealer has to earn a profit, the salesman has to earn a profit - and I, the end consumer, have to pay all of them.

If there is anything the Internet-based model economy has taught us is that, eventually, like it or not, the market finds a way to get rid of middlemen that either don't add real value to the value chain, or provide alternative value that drastically mitigates the value of what it replaces.

Conventional auto dealers have already had to reinvent themselves to a degree because so many people are aware of things like pricing services, or have greater access to pricing data, such that a great many people simply go directly to a dealer's "Internet sales" email address and either request a quote on a vehicle or make an offer they know the dealers should reasonably be able to accept. It wasn't always that way...

tomokc
03-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Auto dealerships have successfully fought auto manufacturers for decades on the subject of direct sales to customers. This is just the latest battle.

I'm trying to understand the dealership business model. They sell & service new & used cars. The sales COGS is high because of the direct vehicle cost, floorplan costs while in inventory, and massive advertising expense. The service COGS is high because of labor & training, and capital costs for building, equipment & tools.

If you could do only one, would you sell or service cars?

SoonerDave
03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Auto dealerships have successfully fought auto manufacturers for decades on the subject of direct sales to customers. This is just the latest battle.

I'm trying to understand the dealership business model. They sell & service new & used cars. The sales COGS is high because of the direct vehicle cost, floorplan costs while in inventory, and massive advertising expense. The service COGS is high because of labor & training, and capital costs for building, equipment & tools.

If you could do only one, would you sell or service cars?

Service would be my pick. A dealership of respectable size is handling millions of dollars in inventory, likely dwarfing the overhead of tools/garage facilities/etc. With the exception of some expensive/specialty tools, I think a lot of service departments let their mechanics bring their own tools to supplant the dealership's own "tool crib."

These days I believe no small chunk of profit for most bigger dealerships is the service center. It's an area where "service reps" are under tremendous pressure to push (very) high-margin/low value services to unsuspecting, uneducated consumers. The gracious sounding 20-point inspection most service garages do "for FREE!" are really doing nothing but laying the groundwork for aggressive upsells, such as $50-$100 for a five-second spritz of terminal spray on a battery post, or nitrogen tire inflation for passenger cars (to name only a few).

Also, big dealerships leverage service-loyal customers as the source for new car sales. When a car comes in for service, particularly one sold at the same dealership, info will be relayed back to the sales floor on the age/type of vehicle with a plan to solicit the consumer on a "new" car to replace that one that's "in for service" if the car has the right balance of age, miles, and service history.

Just the facts
03-12-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm trying to understand the dealership business model.

Their model is easy to understand - use the government to pass laws that require consumers to buy only from them and protect their market share. If the role of a dealership was what the National Auto Dealers Association claims it is they wouldn't need the government to pass laws to make their business viable - consumers would demand it. But since we aren't demanding it.....

mugofbeer
03-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Not that i agree with the NJ thing, isnt this sort of like OKs restrictions on coffins? Dont most states have rules against auto manufacturers owning dealerships?

Prunepicker
03-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Christie is a worthless meddling moderate (http://prunepicker.wikispaces.com/moderates). He doesn't, nor will he ever,
realize the importance of a free market.

Tesla is a fantastic business. I only wish they'd come up with an "engine
roar" that sounded really cool.

wmm's (http://prunepicker.wikispaces.com/moderates) are so worthless.

SoonerDave
03-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Not that i agree with the NJ thing, isnt this sort of like OKs restrictions on coffins? Dont most states have rules against auto manufacturers owning dealerships?

Exactly the same thing. Perfect analogy - was thinking the same thing when I read it.

Bunty
03-13-2014, 10:07 AM

Yes, and makes as much sense as the ban on Sunday car sales in Oklahoma. I will never, never, understand the need for that.

Plutonic Panda
03-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Yes, and makes as much sense as the ban on Sunday car sales in Oklahoma. I will never, never, understand the need for that.Because, Bunty, we can't waste time looking at motor vehicles when we could be in church worshipping our Lord and Savior Jessssusss Christ!!! [amen] Com' on man, get with the program dude. We need the government to tell us to do that.

catch22
03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
While I don't like a law that tells a business when they can or cannot conduct business; one excellent side effect of it is, you can look around on lots on Sundays and not have someone stalking you or pressuring you. I hate when they don't understand what "Oh I'm just looking around" means. They take that to mean, "Please come walk around with me and show me every car". I really just want to walk and look. Thanks. Alone.

Just the facts
03-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Can you imagine how the car buying experience would change if dealers were taken out of the loop. Instead of a lot full of inventory they would just have test-drive vehicles where you could get a basic feel for the car and then be able to totally customize the exact car you want. You would then pick your car up in a few days. No more would you be at the mercy of the dealer's buyer to preselect your choices for you. For example, in Oklahoma every new car in the state could be stored in Stroud and it wouldn't matter if you shopped for the car in Enid or Durant or OKC - you could select any car you want and if it was at the central facility you would have it the next day. If its not at the central state facility it would come from an adjacent state or be built specifically for you. Just think of the space it would save as well. Instead of a 20 acre lot with 500 cars on it all you would need is a showroom with 10 or 12 cars. That just seems way more efficient.

catch22
03-13-2014, 12:49 PM
That would be great.

MustangGT
03-13-2014, 12:56 PM
The manufacturers have done everything they can to get away from the huge selection of options and the ability for customers to spec out vehicles to the last detail. That ability disappeared 20+ years ago, now consumers are left with option packages. Rest assured they will NOT go back to endless options and choice for consumers. It will never happen. The auto industry is rapidly getting back to what Henry Ford once said, "They can have any color they want as long as it is black." It all comes down to the manufacturers getting back to as much standardization as possible and the fewest possible choices of options. Efficiency in the manufacturing side is to minimize choices and make all cars as similar as possible with the fewest possible consumer choices. And since we as consumers collectively have no unity the manufacturers will always win out.

Just the facts
03-13-2014, 01:19 PM
The manufacturers have done everything they can to get away from the huge selection of options and the ability for customers to spec out vehicles to the last detail. That ability disappeared 20+ years ago, now consumers are left with option packages. Rest assured they will NOT go back to endless options and choice for consumers. It will never happen. The auto industry is rapidly getting back to what Henry Ford once said, "They can have any color they want as long as it is black." It all comes down to the manufacturers getting back to as much standardization as possible and the fewest possible choices of options. Efficiency in the manufacturing side is to minimize choices and make all cars as similar as possible with the fewest possible consumer choices. And since we as consumers collectively have no unity the manufacturers will always win out.

Sure - because the NADA didn't like that many varieties available, lest they be struck with a car they can't sell, but with them out of the way there is a potential national market for every single car and that concern evaporates.

mkjeeves
03-13-2014, 01:26 PM

Tesla has a bunch to choose from. I like the Max Out My Model S button. Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design)

Just the facts
03-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Tesla has a bunch to choose from. I like the Max Out My Model S button. Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design)

Yep - if Tesla had the traditional dealer network they would have to go with packages as well which in turn limit consumer choices.

Garin
03-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Didn't anyone ever watch the movie Tucker?

mkjeeves
03-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Yep - if Tesla had the traditional dealer network they would have to go with packages as well which in turn limit consumer choices.

It's probably also an indicator of the mindset Elon Musk has talked about with Tesla versus Detroit automakers, Silicon Valley/Tech/Fast responding to change vs Detroit/set in their ways.

Urbanized
03-13-2014, 02:12 PM
What's funny is that for a time Ford Motor Company was majority owner of multiple dealerships in the OKC metro. The Fred Jones Auto Collection was a one price (a la Saturn - ostensibly no haggle/no hassle) experiment that was owned by FMC, the Fred Jones Companies and some other dealers as share holders. It became obvious that it wasn't working, mostly because they didn't buy every dealer in the metro - Reynolds was a holdout for instance - and people were therefore able to get their sales experience and one price without hassle and then take it to a non-one-price dealer and beat it by a couple hundred bucks. When the whole thing started going to hell in a handbasket FMC pulled the trigger on a buyout clause and owned the whole mess. Of course they quickly turned around and broke up the auto group by selling it back to individual dealers, but for a time they owned the dealerships lock, stock and barrel. Plus they had spent time as a significant if not majority partner in the group before that.

mkjeeves
03-13-2014, 02:24 PM
That began, what, about 15 years ago? Now we have this in the mix of changing consumer experience. Even with showrooms, buying a Tesla is still an online purchase. You can do it at their computer in their showroom or you can do it from your computer at home.

http://media.cushmanwakefield.com/~/media/inline-content/corporate/Reports/REPORTS-Changing_ecommerce_chart.ashx

ljbab728
03-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Can you imagine how the car buying experience would change if dealers were taken out of the loop. Instead of a lot full of inventory they would just have test-drive vehicles where you could get a basic feel for the car and then be able to totally customize the exact car you want.

Kerry, that's exactly how I remember our family buying cars when I was much younger. We went to the dealer to decide for sure what kind of car and then told them what accessories we wanted and what color we wanted. It did take a while to get the car though.

Bunty
03-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Because, Bunty, we can't waste time looking at motor vehicles when we could be in church worshipping our Lord and Savior Jessssusss Christ!!! [amen] Com' on man, get with the program dude. We need the government to tell us to do that.

So it would still be too sinful to buy a car on Sunday after getting out of church services? But surely okay to head straight for Wal-Mart.

Plutonic Panda
03-14-2014, 12:28 PM
So it would still be too sinful to buy a car on Sunday after getting out of church services? But surely okay to head straight for Wal-Mart.Oh no you didn't just talk smack on Walmart! ;)

Just the facts
03-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Kerry, that's exactly how I remember our family buying cars when I was much younger. We went to the dealer to decide for sure what kind of car and then told them what accessories we wanted and what color we wanted. It did take a while to get the car though.

This isn't home video is it? :)

The good news is Jupiter Chevy won't do this to you, and why you might ask. Because they already pre-ordered the car for you and you have to take retail delivery from dealer stock.

pTaTitRENDM

blangtang
03-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Has anyone seen a Tesla around OKC?

zcamaro70
03-22-2014, 01:36 PM
I have seen at least one running around the south okc/moore area.....

Plutonic Panda
03-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Has anyone seen a Tesla around OKC?I've seen them quite a bit lately. I'm seeing one at least once a week(excluding my neighbor who has Roadster and my grandmothers neighbor who has Model S). My neighbor also has the Model X pre-ordered.

Teslas are cool and all, but I think they are a fad and do NOT see electric vehicles ever being mass produced let alone leading the future.

mugofbeer
03-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Why not? I think e-cars definitely have a place in urban areas. I'd get one in a heartbeat if i had room for a 3rd car.

Cid
03-23-2014, 10:02 AM
I've seen them quite a bit lately. I'm seeing one at least once a week(excluding my neighbor who has Roadster and my grandmothers neighbor who has Model S). My neighbor also has the Model X pre-ordered.

Teslas are cool and all, but I think they are a fad and do NOT see electric vehicles ever being mass produced let alone leading the future.
How many cars does a manufacturer have to make before they are considered "mass produced"?

MustangGT
03-23-2014, 10:10 AM
I've seen them quite a bit lately. I'm seeing one at least once a week(excluding my neighbor who has Roadster and my grandmothers neighbor who has Model S). My neighbor also has the Model X pre-ordered.

Quite correct. Today and into the near future they are gimmicks at best for folks with more money than automotive sense. If and only if battery capacity increases to match or exceed the range of a fossil fueled machine then they will be novelties only. Oh and the recharge time has to be no more than the time to refuel with gasoline.

Cid
03-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Quite correct. Today and into the near future they are gimmicks at best for folks with more money than automotive sense. If and only if battery capacity increases to match or exceed the range of a fossil fueled machine then they will be novelties only. Oh and the recharge time has to be no more than the time to refuel with gasoline.
Just getting this straight...

Electric cars are gimmicks and will stay that way until -

1. Battery capacity increases to match or exceed range of fossil fueled machine.
Has range improved from previous consumer electric cars? The answer has to be yes.
Is there any reason to think this trend will continue? The answer has to be yes.

2. Recharge time has to be no more than the time to refuel with gasoline.
Has recharge time improved in the past? The answer has to be yes.
Is there any reason to think this trend will continue. The answer has to be yes.

Also, why wait to recharge? Why not just swap out the battery twice as fast as a gas station stop?
Battery Swap | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap)

Plutonic Panda
03-23-2014, 11:23 AM
How many cars does a manufacturer have to make before they are considered "mass produced"?Mass produced doesn't really have to do with how many cars they make. If a car company made a ten thousand cars in a span of 20 years, that wouldn't be mass production. If they made 10,000 in a few months and had them constantly rolling off of an assembly line, then that would be mass production. Tesla doesn't constantly have them coming off from a production line one after the other since the demand is not there.

Electric cars are not really that practical and they certainly do NOTHING to help the environment. Maybe you ought to have a look how much more damage making just one battery for Tesla's cars does than a brand new Ford Taurus.

Plutonic Panda
03-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Just getting this straight...

Electric cars are gimmicks and will stay that way until -

1. Battery capacity increases to match or exceed range of fossil fueled machine.
Has range improved from previous consumer electric cars? The answer has to be yes.
Is there any reason to think this trend will continue? The answer has to be yes.

2. Recharge time has to be no more than the time to refuel with gasoline.
Has recharge time improved in the past? The answer has to be yes.
Is there any reason to think this trend will continue. The answer has to be yes.

Also, why wait to recharge? Why not just swap out the battery twice as fast as a gas station stop?
Battery Swap | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap)The range of Tesla's are quite low actually. To get the claimed 300 mile range, you have to baby the throttle like an old man. I've driven them before(both the Model s and the Roadster), they are cool cars and fun to drive, but will never work in mass use. Will the range increase in electric vehicles? Yes. But by the time the range of electric vehicles gets to where we are today, gas powered cars will have already advanced to 50-60+mpg. Mileage in gas cars is increasing every single day.

The battery swap is cool and all..... but when I was walking with Kerry, he brought up a really good point: How would that ever work in mass use? Those batteries aren't light and are going to have people tirelessly running around swapping batteries non-stop? It makes no sense. It's a pain that is not worth it.

Cid
03-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Mass produced doesn't really have to do with how many cars they make. If a car company made a ten thousand cars in a span of 20 years, that wouldn't be mass production. If they made 10,000 in a few months and had them constantly rolling off of an assembly line, then that would be mass production. Tesla doesn't constantly have them coming off from a production line one after the other since the demand is not there.

Electric cars are not really that practical and they certainly do NOTHING to help the environment. Maybe you ought to have a look how much more damage making just one battery for Tesla's cars does than a brand new Ford Taurus.
Don't put words in my mouth. I'm asking a simple question. You answered with how it has nothing to do with how many, but then said it does have something to do with how many.

If I glean from your answer correctly, it isn't JUST how many, but how many over a period of time. You quoted 10,000 in a few months(a quarter). Tesla hit around 20,000 in 2013, so around 5,000 per quarter. They hit almost 7,000 in the last quarter of 2013. At this rate, they'll hit 10,000 per quarter in no time. In your opinion,will they be considered "mass produced" then?
Link for reference:
How Many Tesla Model S Electric Cars Have Been Built So Far? (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1089703_how-many-tesla-model-s-electric-cars-have-been-built-so-far)

Also you said "Tesla doesn't constantly have them coming off from a production line one after the other since the demand is not there."
Simply. Not. True. Great link describing their problems keeping up with... demand.
Tesla slammed, despite expanding production (http://www.cnbc.com/id/101173301)

You also said "Electric cars are not really that practical and they certainly do NOTHING to help the environment."
The Tesla Model S recharges overnight on a regular electrical outlet for the vast majority of city drivers. No gas station stop required, just plug in when you get home. I agree that for long road trips, they aren't quite there. I have driven in my own car out of state exactly 5 times in 2013. I think that is likely pretty average. In ALL of those cases, we took the family van, not my daily driver, so having the Tesla wouldn't have affected us in any way. Environmental concerns aside, what is impractical about electric cars, the Tesla Model S in particular?

Do you have the internet? I'm beginning to think you've decided before actually knowing the facts.

Cid
03-23-2014, 11:55 AM
The battery swap is cool and all..... but when I was walking with Kerry, he brought up a really good point: How would that ever work in mass use? Those batteries aren't light and are going to have people tirelessly running around swapping batteries non-stop? It makes no sense. It's a pain that is not worth it.
How would what ever work in mass use?

Did you watch the video? There are no "people" tirelessly running around.

Maybe you were questioning the feasibilty of convenience?

Having stations dotted all over the place on every corner with a pit of some sort that would constantly be swapping out batteries for people?

As opposed to having gas stations all over the place on every corner with a pit full of gasoline that would constantly refilled by other trucks and used to refuel people's cars?

Plutonic Panda
03-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Also you said "Tesla doesn't constantly have them coming off from a production line one after the other since the demand is not there."
Simply. Not. True. Great link describing their problems keeping up with... demand.
Tesla slammed, despite expanding production (http://www.cnbc.com/id/101173301)Doesn't matter. That's good for an electric car. It doesn't even come close the demand of gas or diesel cars. Provide all the links you want, but when you're able to have a car tailored just to you, built and delivered in 2 months, there is not really a huge demand for that car.

Environmental concerns aside, what is impractical about electric cars, the Tesla Model S in particular?Are you for real? I've already answered that.

Tesla's are NOT a mass production car and likely never will be. When they come off of an assembly line making 100,000+ a year, then we'll talk. You apparently have no clue what mass production is. Have a look at this Auto Sales (http://www.usdebtclock.org/auto-sales.html)

Do you have the internet? I'm beginning to think you've decided before actually knowing the facts.No, I don't have internet. I'm sending these messages to a wizard on the moon who then sends them back to Pentagon where my trusty sidekick Mark Waldo posts these responses on OKCTalk and then sends the replies back to me on the space elevator in South Africa.

Plutonic Panda
03-23-2014, 12:16 PM
How would what ever work in mass use?I get it, you're just trying to troll me now. I'll bite, but it'll be my last response to this seeing as how we are going nowhere.

I clearly stated, that battery swapping would NOT work in mass use. I don't know the exact numbers to the average gas station customer count, but I'm willing to bet it is upwards of 500 people an hour. Try seeing how that would work with battery swapping... You do know to that batteries don't last forever and the more you re-charge them, the faster they loose their charge. You could buy new ones, but that defeats the purpose of having a "green" car.

Anyhow, we'll see what will happen. Time will ultimately prove who is right and I'm hanging on the side that Tesla is not going to survive very long. The last I heard, they posted their first monthly profit back in August and have since dipped back into the negative. Elon Musk is an awesome guy and I think he is an incredible inventor and I want Tesla to work, I just don't see it happening. Perhaps I'm wrong and it will, hopefully that will be the case.

Cid
03-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Doesn't matter. That's good for an electric car. It doesn't even come close the demand of gas or diesel cars. Provide all the links you want, but when you're able to have a car tailored just to you, built and delivered in 2 months, there is not really a huge demand for that car.
Right. "Back up all your assertions and provide links to facts all you want. It won't change my preconceived notions."

Anyway, nice goal post shift. That's not what you said. You said "Tesla doesn't constantly have them coming off from a production line one after the other since the demand is not there." This isn't true. They are expanding production because they are trying to keep up with demand.

Now you are saying that because you can have one built to your specifications and delivered to you in two months, that is an indicator of low demand. That is a totally different argument.

Tesla's are NOT a mass production car and likely never will be. When they come off of an assembly line making 100,000+ a year, then we'll talk. You apparently have no clue what mass production is. Have a look at this Auto Sales (http://www.usdebtclock.org/auto-sales.html)
Again, nice goal post shift. We went from 10,000 every quarter, to 100,000 per year, or 25,000 per quarter. So, again, I ask what does it take to be considered "mass produced? An assembly line? Automated robots? 100 fully built cars per day? 6 cars per hour in a 16 hour work day? One every 10 minutes isn't "one right after the other"?

That's what Tesla produces. I guess that's still not "mass-produced? Even though they are outproducing Jaguar and Maserati according to that link you provided, and are barely under Mercedes EClass and BMW 7-Series production numbers, their direct competitors?

No, I don't have internet. I'm sending these messages to a wizard on the moon who then sends them back to Pentagon where my trusty sidekick Mark Waldo posts these responses on OKCTalk and then sends the replies back to me on the space elevator in South Africa.
Well, that does explain things.

Cid
03-23-2014, 12:37 PM
I get it, you're just trying to troll me now. I'll bite, but it'll be my last response to this seeing as how we are going nowhere.

I clearly stated, that battery swapping would NOT work in mass use. I don't know the exact numbers to the average gas station customer count, but I'm willing to bet it is upwards of 500 people an hour. Try seeing how that would work with battery swapping... You do know to that batteries don't last forever and the more you re-charge them, the faster they loose their charge. You could buy new ones, but that defeats the purpose of having a "green" car.

Anyhow, we'll see what will happen. Time will ultimately prove who is right and I'm hanging on the side that Tesla is not going to survive very long. The last I heard, they posted their first monthly profit back in August and have since dipped back into the negative. Elon Musk is an awesome guy and I think he is an incredible inventor and I want Tesla to work, I just don't see it happening. Perhaps I'm wrong and it will, hopefully that will be the case.

Me trolling you?!?! Ha! That's a laugh.

You are definitely wrong about one thing in this post. We are definitely going somewhere. We're going to the "poster makes baseless assertions gets his A** handed to him once again" bucket.

Let's put this in perspective for you. Every emerging industry has things to overcome. Do you think any of the things you've said can't be overcome? How did the gas-powered car overcome the lack of refueling stations, roads to drive on, pathetic power, low range, high maintenance costs, safety concerns, etc.

etc.

etc.

Garin
03-23-2014, 02:18 PM
How many electric cars do you own Cid? And which brand is it.

Plutonic Panda
03-23-2014, 02:23 PM
How many electric cars do you own Cid? And which brand is it.Don't even waste your time arguing with this fool. I believe that is Sid Burgess(although I could be wrong) and JFT tried this once and it didn't work. When Tesla files for bankruptcy or just fades away, that will ultimately tell the truth and nothing more will need to be said.

The only thing he has going is the current hype for the cars(which won't last long either) and some architect to like his posts just because he disagrees with Plutonic Panda.

Garin
03-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Don't even waste your time arguing with this fool. I believe that is Sid Burgess(although I could be wrong) and JFT tried this once and it didn't work. When Tesla files for bankruptcy or just fades away, that will ultimately tell the truth and nothing more will need to be said.
K
The only thing he has going is the current hype for the cars(which won't last long either) and some architect to like his posts just because he disagrees with Plutonic Panda.

I think you might be right. It is definitely someone using another login.

Cid
03-23-2014, 03:25 PM
None.

Cid
03-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Don't even waste your time arguing with this fool. I believe that is Sid Burgess(although I could be wrong) and JFT tried this once and it didn't work.
You guys are funny with your conspiracies.

When Tesla files for bankruptcy or just fades away, that will ultimately tell the truth and nothing more will need to be said.

No, no it wouldn't. Unless Tesla going into bankruptcy drags the entire electric car/hyrbid car industry with it, the large manufacturers will continue down this road.

Prunepicker
03-23-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm curious, why should the federal government be involved with private
business, unless it's something illegal?

I say nothing.

Garin
03-23-2014, 04:57 PM
None.

You walk everywhere ?

RadicalModerate
03-23-2014, 05:01 PM
You walk everywhere ?

Harking (in the metaphorical sense of the term) back to the Thread Title . . .
[New Jersey Say (sic) No To Tesla Direct Sales]

Would it be fair to say that New Jersey seems to be the Westinghouse of assholism vis-a-vis Tesla?
Or is all that simply coincidence?

Garin
03-23-2014, 05:35 PM
You guys are funny with your conspiracies.

No, no it wouldn't. Unless Tesla going into bankruptcy drags the entire electric car/hyrbid car industry with it, the large manufacturers will continue down this road.

The volt is a hot seller it's literally on fire.

RadicalModerate
03-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Didn't Edison have a park or sumpin' in New Jersey?
Isn't Chris Christie the governor?
Coincidence?
Mebbe.

Cid
03-23-2014, 08:18 PM
You walk everywhere ?
Yet another mindless Garin post. Totally devoid of any connection to reality.

Here is the exact sequence of the conversation:
Garin:

Cid:
None.

Garin:
You walk everywhere ?

Seriously... are you slow, son? Please tell me the answer is no. I don't want to feel guilty.

RadicalModerate
03-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Yet another mindless Garin post. Totally devoid of any connection to reality.

Here is the exact sequence of the conversation:
Garin:

Cid:
None.

Garin:
You walk everywhere ?

Seriously... are you slow, son? Please tell me the answer is no. I don't want to feel guilty.

"Seriously, Son . . . Are ya' slow 'r whut?
We're tawkin' New Jersey here, boy . . .
Ya' gotta listen close so's you can discern whut I mean . . .
http://doaheadwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Foghorn-Leghorn.jpg
"New Jersey don't even know how to make a proper Salsa in a Jar
and suddenly we've jumped to Electric Cars? (!) . . . " =)

(I apologize in advance for interrupting the flow of logic and whatever on this thread . . .)

blangtang
03-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Tesla has a year 2020 goal of producing 500,000 batteries for electric cars. This electric car thing may just be a fad, but to believe so you are betting against Musk...

Sent from my ****tyLaptop

Prunepicker
03-23-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm all for Tesla. I'm not for government funding.

I'd buy a Tesla in a heart beat if I had the money.

I wouldn't buy a government funded car for any price.

blangtang
03-23-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm curious, why should the federal government be involved with private
business, unless it's something illegal?

I say nothing.
Ha!

At first I was confused and I thought you were complaining quietly with respect to the GM bailout or the Tesla gov't loans, but then I realized you were exercising restraint when it comes to bashing Christie!

Well done!

blangtang
03-23-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm all for Tesla. I'm not for government funding.

I'd buy a Tesla in a heart beat if I had the money.

I wouldn't buy a government funded car for any price.

Tesla is supposed to create their more mass market car for the rumored 40-50K range, thats when things will get interesting!

Would you drive your privately produced car on a government subsidized roadway?

Prunepicker
03-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Ha!
At first I was confused and I thought you were complaining quietly with
respect to the GM bailout or the Tesla gov't loans, but then I realized you were
exercising restraint when it comes to bashing Christie!Well done!
You honestly don't have a clue! LOL!

Not at all. Christie is a worthless meddling moderate.
(http://prunepicker.wikispaces.com/moderates)
In the meantime why should the government fund a private government?

Put up or puke.