View Full Version : Non-denominational movement

Patrick
08-08-2005, 12:42 PM
It's become apparent that in the past few years, churches from stream-line denominations like Presbyterian and Lutheran have been losing members while non-denominational and interdenominational churches have been gaining members. Apparently, people don't like the divisive nature of mainstream denominational churches. People feel less threatened in non-denominational churches. Although I'm a member of a Southern Baptist Church, my parents, after many years of sitting through fighting in the Baptist church, found their home at Crossings Community Church, a non-denominational church where they feel they can worship without the divisive doctrines of a mainstream church. Non-denominational churches in the OKC area like Crossings, and others, i.e., Life Church, New Church, Victory Christian Center, Cathedral of Praise, etc. are all growing.

What are your thoughts of this shift away from mainstream denominations?

mranderson
08-08-2005, 03:39 PM
As long as they do not try to sell a particular denomination, then I am all for non denominational churches.

PUGalicious
08-08-2005, 04:13 PM
As long as they do not try to sell a particular denomination, then I am all for non denominational churches.

What difference does that make?

Keith
08-08-2005, 04:45 PM
It's become apparent that in the past few years, churches from stream-line denominations like Presbyterian and Lutheran have been losing members while non-denominational and interdenominational churches have been gaining members. Apparently, people don't like the divisive nature of mainstream denominational churches. People feel less threatened in non-denominational churches. Although I'm a member of a Southern Baptist Church, my parents, after many years of sitting through fighting in the Baptist church, found their home at Crossings Community Church, a non-denominational church where they feel they can worship without the divisive doctrines of a mainstream church. Non-denominational churches in the OKC area like Crossings, and others, i.e., Life Church, New Church, Victory Christian Center, Cathedral of Praise, etc. are all growing.

What are your thoughts of this shift away from mainstream denominations?
I don't really see that much of a problem with it. So many people are sick and tired of denominations, especially when the doctrine differs so much in each one.

I have been a Southern Baptist all of my life, and it is mainly because that was how I was raised, however, I still believe strongly in the doctrine that the baptists believe. My sister was raised in a Baptist church, however, she is a methodist now. I have many, many, friends that I grew up with that are going to non-denominational churches now.

They feel the worship services are more contemporary with instruments, bands, etc...., and that many more people like that type of worship experience. Plus, it is more of a relaxed, casual, atmosphere. In a non-denominational church, you will not find too many men in stuffy suits and ties, nor will you find many women in dresses. We should all dress our best when we attend church, however, it is much easier to worship when you are comfortable. I'm not saying to wear tank tops, sleeveless shirts, short shorts, or something revealing, but you can dress down, be comfortable, and look very nice.

In the summer time, I practically live in shorts. I wear them to work and everywhere else. On Sunday mornings I wear nice jeans and a nice shirt, however, on Sunday nights and Wednesday nights, I will be in my shorts and a nice shirt. As a matter of fact, it may be a new trend at our church, because I see more men and women wearing nice shorts to church. I work with our youth, and we have many of them that come from poor families, so most of them wear shorts, t-shirts, and even flip flops to church on Sunday morning, mainly because that is the best they have.

If I was to ever leave the Baptist church, i would probably wind up going to a non-denominational church, mainly because I do like the casual atmosphere and the contemporary sounds.

karlanee
08-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I have been part of the non-denominational movement in OKC for quite a few years, until just the last year or so. I enjoy the type of worship, atmosphere, opportunities, etc. that they offer and most of them have balanced beliefs that have lined up with my own for the most part.

The only problem I've had is that there seems to be such an emphasis on growing large churches that sometimes it becomes like a revolving door. That is why I left the church I was a part of. With so many services (8 at the time) I never saw people I knew. I was involved in things - and yet still couldn't seem to feel like I could just sit in God's presence for awhile. With so many services to fit into a weekend - things felt so rushed. Just about the time I was entering into a sense of true intimacy and worship with God - it was time to sit down. Just when I sensed God getting through to me in the sermon - it was time to leave.

I'm now in a denominational church, one I did not grow up understanding or knowing much about - but the church is where I'm to be right now - regardless of what the name out front says. I'm a strong believer in being where God wants me - regardless of what it looks like. As long as it is His will and it's a place that lines up with His word - that's my home. I've been everything from a Salvationist (Salvation Army) to a Charismatic, a Baptist, and now a Methodist.

I will always have a heart of fondness for the non-denominational movement - it is where I've grown the most in my walk. I have a feeling I'll be back there again some day, who knows.