View Full Version : Facebook Weirding Me Out

Just the facts
03-06-2014, 02:12 PM
So I recently created an account on Facebook and had a couple of items on my timeline based on some initial questions it asked me during the set-up phase. Today I happened to notice my timeline had a lot of entries which include trips to Mexico City, Montreal, Hawaii, Paris, and London. How the hell does Facebook know I made those trips?

Stan Silliman
03-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Did you make those trips? If so, you're the jet setter of the OKC Talk.
You know the NSA everyone is complaining about? It's Facebook.
If you ever bought a ticket using the internet, it's in the WWW.
If you ever searched for a product on the internet, say a couch or a hotel room, Facebook will know it
and every time you log an ad for a couch or for a hotel in Atlanta (if you're looking for one) will pop up

This is how they make their money. Everyone who advertises on the internet, like Priceline, or Hertz, or Travelosity
pays Facebook to remind people they're still there. They loaded your profile with every transaction you ever made
on the internet. It includes retroactive transactions, just so long as they were web transactions.

They may only make pennies or nickles per pop up but when you have a billion customers it amounts to billions in revenue.
I'm looking for a hotel in San Antonio right now and every time I log on FB a different Priceline hotel ad will pop.

Just the facts
03-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks Stan but I am no where near the most traveled OKCTalker. Maybe I need to start reading those "how we use your info" disclaimers a little better.

SoonerDave
03-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks Stan but I am no where near the most traveled OKCTalker. Maybe I need to start reading those "how we use your info" disclaimers a little better.

I've purposely not (nor will I) answer most of the questions on the FB profile. The use it as a two-way data mine - to link you with advertisers, and to find acquaintances that can link advertisers back to you. I also think they use that profile information to mine not just sources they pay for, but for external data sources that have a lot of raw data, but have to be refined to match it to you in particular.

My simple logic is the less they know about me, the harder it is to map me to "Real Dave" in the real world.

And I say that, also, as someone who uses Facebook very rarely anymore. I've been on there a couple of times the last few days as an ancillary consequence of other things, and I know the kiddos tell me its not a big teenage platform anymore...

So, just one option...Don't Answer The Questions. Doesn't eliminate their ability to mine, match, map, and spam, but it makes it just a little bit harder.

catch22
03-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Regarding how they found out -- do you have Foursquare, Twitter, or some other social media account that you may have checked in/used Location services from while you were on those trips?

Just the facts
03-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Regarding how they found out -- do you have Foursquare, Twitter, or some other social media account that you may have checked in/used Location services from while you were on those trips?

The answer to all of those is No. In fact, one of the trips was taken before I even had the internet at home and most of the trips were booked through either a travel agent, directly with the airline via the phone, or through a corporate travel agent. They either had to get the data directly from the airlines or from passport info. Oddly enough - nearly all of my travel is done via Expedia and none of those show up.

Dubya61
03-06-2014, 03:51 PM
A friend of mine says that if it doesn't cost anything to use, you're not the consumer -- you're the product.

Just the facts
03-06-2014, 03:55 PM
A friend of mine says that if it doesn't cost anything to use, you're not the consumer -- you're the product.

That is a pretty good rule. In a better world Facebook would pay us.

catch22
03-06-2014, 04:20 PM
The answer to all of those is No. In fact, one of the trips was taken before I even had the internet at home and most of the trips were booked through either a travel agent, directly with the airline via the phone, or through a corporate travel agent. They either had to get the data directly from the airlines or from passport info. Oddly enough - nearly all of my travel is done via Expedia and none of those show up.

Does your wife or kids use Facebook-- did they check in on any of those trips (if they went with you)?

Just the facts
03-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Trips were taken before facebook even existed and the trips they did go on are not listed on their timelines. Its just mine.

venture
03-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Trips were taken before facebook even existed and the trips they did go on are not listed on their timelines. Its just mine.

Did you upload any photos from them that would have transferred the metadata contained in most image files?

hoya
03-07-2014, 08:57 AM
What is fun is entering fake information.

In 2007 I took a trip to Metropolis.

kelroy55
03-07-2014, 09:04 AM
I think Facebook is part of the NSA.

onthestrip
03-07-2014, 09:30 AM
I once got a friend suggestion from facebook that was someone who I had no mutual friends, no fb connection of any kind. The only connection we had was one of business and one that I have no idea how fb would know, let alone suggest the friend request. The only thing I can think of is that fb looked into LLC documents and somehow connected the two of ours and then spit the person out as someone I might know. It definitely had me weirded out a little.

SoonerDave
03-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Didn't you hear? It was a three-player deal: Facebook bought the NSA for cash outright, and the NSA got rights to a third-world country to be named later. If they clear waivers.

Just the facts
03-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Did you upload any photos from them that would have transferred the metadata contained in most image files?

I did nothing in Facebook to indicate I had taken these trips and I am not 'friends' with anyone who knew I took them. Not only do they know I went, they know when I went. Another oddity is that all the trips were on different airlines - Continental, Delta, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, British Airways, and AirCanada.

David
03-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Did you allow them to import contacts from an email account or something similar? They may have mined your emails for information.

That's a random stab in the dark, I have never had a Facebook account and will never create one.

mmonroe
03-08-2014, 12:41 AM
Don't forget, anyone you may have traveled with that has a Facebook too may have "tagged" you and thus Facebook made the connection.

Dennis Heaton
03-08-2014, 04:58 AM
If you used a credit card to pay for those trips...guess what?????

BBatesokc
03-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Facebook isn't the all-knowing, all-seeing Big Brother people would make it out to be. It simply uses data you 'volunteer' up for it to use.

I travel all the time and maintain two different Facebook accounts (personal and business). Unless I share it, it doesn't appear on either account.

There is something you're missing. You obviously inadvertently provided the data (directly or indirectly) or someone 'tagged' you as going to these places with them.

They are not using your credit card data, or car GPS or any such thing.

I had an app once that I realized was 'checking in' for me without asking first. I simply deleted the app because I wanted more discretion.

Dennis Heaton
03-08-2014, 07:05 AM
BBatesokc...You are no fun!!! LOL!

6930 6931

kevinpate
03-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Nah NSA is Markie Z's security force and data mining subsidiary. :)

Just the facts
03-08-2014, 09:44 AM
I am just going to have to accept that Facebook has access to more data about me than I do. Now if they could just tell me where I left my watch in 1997 we can call it even.

Dennis Heaton
03-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Now if they could just tell me where I let my watch in 1997 we can call it even.

By any chance was it a Timex?

kevinpate
03-08-2014, 11:57 AM
I am just going to have to accept that Facebook has access to more data about me than I do. Now if they could just tell me where I let my watch in 1997 we can call it even.

I suspect they can. Not sure that should bring any comfort though.

Garin
03-08-2014, 05:55 PM
I am just going to have to accept that Facebook has access to more data about me than I do. Now if they could just tell me where I left my watch in 1997 we can call it even.

Common Core will be doing the same if not more intrusive to our children.

onthestrip
03-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Common Core will be doing the same if not more intrusive to our children.

[scratches head]

RadicalModerate
03-09-2014, 05:07 PM
[scratches head]

I think it has something to do with eating the seedy, leftover center, of The Apple of the Knowledge of Good and Facebook.
(yet, like the Pope, I've been wrong before. f*ck it. =)

Garin
03-09-2014, 08:26 PM
[scratches head]

They will be data mining our children from the time they enter kindergarten until they graduate. No reason to scratch your head just educate yourself about whats going on around you.

Stan Silliman
03-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Did you take any pictures on your trips and later (maybe even years later) upload the pictures to Picasa or Facebook?
All the pictures might have an embedded date code.

Just the facts
03-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Did you take any pictures on your trips and later (maybe even years later) upload the pictures to Picasa or Facebook?
All the pictures might have an embedded date code.

Nope. I think they have access to airline records probably as some sort of data sharing agreement.