View Full Version : Young Professional Groups

AP
03-06-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm looking to get into some young professional groups in OKC. Any recommendations?

onthestrip
03-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Theres AEP (Alliance of Emerging Professionals), OKC Beautiful has a new young professionls groups called MOB, Young Professionals in Energy (YPE) if you are in that field, Second Century which is the young pros group of the Gaylord Pickens museum, Urban Land Institute (ULI) has a young pros group, and Allied Arts young pros group is called Catalyst which if you sign up for soon you get two free tickets to their annual event Artini.

AP
03-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Theres AEP (Alliance of Emerging Professionals), OKC Beautiful has a new young professionls groups called MOB, Young Professionals in Energy (YPE) if you are in that field, Second Century which is the young pros group of the Gaylord Pickens museum, Urban Land Institute (ULI) has a young pros group, and Allied Arts young pros group is called Catalyst which if you sign up for soon you get two free tickets to their annual event Artini.

I'm looking into MOB and Catalyst currently. Not in energy so YPE doesn't apply. I'll check out Second Century. Thanks!

OKCretro
03-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Move Okc
Concord 51
loyal okc

midtown rotary is a younger group

also the run at red coyote on Thursday night has exploded. great way to meet people

tillyato
03-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Also, Arts Council just launched a new YP group called Artisans. Midtown Rotary would be another good one for you.

AP
03-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Move Okc
Concord 51
loyal okc

midtown rotary is a younger group

also the run at red coyote on Thursday night has exploded. great way to meet people

I have a good friend that was part of creating Move OKC so I'll talk to him about that. From what I heard Loyal is really hard to get into. What is Concord 51?

AP
03-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Also, Arts Council just launched a new YP group called Artisans. Midtown Rotary would be another good one for you.

Just signed up for info on Artisans :)

I'll look into Midtown Rotary.

tillyato
03-06-2014, 09:32 AM
I'll second OKCretro's choices, although I don't think Concord 51 is going to be up Andrew's alley. They are hosting a social hour with the Attorney General next Wednesday, pretty active group, albeit conservative/libertarian in nature.

OKCretro
03-06-2014, 09:49 AM
loyal is competitive but not extremely hard to get into unless you are land tech from devon or chk. (but you said you weren't in o&g)

I have been to a couple of the Concord 51 meetings but haven't given any money yet. PM if you want to the reason

also not sure if Move okc was just for Mick or if it will continue having HH's. The one at Belle was a huge success, my guess over 200

OKCretro
03-06-2014, 09:52 AM
also want to add lyric understudies if that hasn't been mentioned yet

Zuplar
03-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Northwest Young Professionals.

Seems like nowadays there are tons of these organizations.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthwestYoungProfessionals

Urbanized
03-06-2014, 05:47 PM
I was involved with the OKC Downtown Club ( Downtown Club :: Home (http://www.okcdowntownclub.org) ) during its formative years, and though it has been a long time since, they are still active, featuring probably the best monthly speakers this side of downtown Rotary (or perhaps even better) and a very impressive membership roster.

A listing of speakers since '06 (I was a member prior to this, in the early aughts): Downtown Club :: Speakers (http://okcdowntownclub.org/speakers/)

Urbanized
03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
nm - double post

tillyato
03-06-2014, 07:40 PM
also not sure if Move okc was just for Mick or if it will continue having HH's. The one at Belle was a huge success, my guess over 200

Move OKC is definitely meant to be more than just for the mayoral election, the group is just catching it's breath after putting on the Belle Isle event and determining the next step it should take to keep people involved in local civic issues.

bradh
03-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Wife and I are a part of Overture, the OKC Philharmonic's young pro group (although it's open to pretty much anyone not a blue hair who attends the OKC Phil).

PM me if you want some more info on LOYAL. My wife is LOYAL class VII an could probably give you some tips if you want to get in.

sooner88
03-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Aside from the groups already mentioned, there is Emerging Leaders through United Way.

OKCretro
03-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Move OKC is definitely meant to be more than just for the mayoral election, the group is just catching it's breath after putting on the Belle Isle event and determining the next step it should take to keep people involved in local civic issues.

That's good to hear, had a good time at belle isle so was hoping there would be more

TechArch
03-07-2014, 07:28 AM
I am LOYAL Class VIII and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It gave me a greater perspective on different non-profit groups and the many young professional groups that they have.

Urbanized
03-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Yeah, I know a lot of people who have been through LOYAL and who seem to think very highly of the experience and seem to have created enduring bonds with their classmates. Even more so than the people I know who have been through Leadership OKC, which is saying something.